Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

maduin posted:

If people are jumping off LastPass, 1Password is great and on sale. I've used it for years syncing through Dropbox and never had a problem.

hells yeah i was gonna grab a windows license soon, glad i can save $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monopthalmus posted:

Why is this bad for LastPass and where should I go instead? I've been pretty happy with LastPass...

Because LogMeIn is not a great company. They habitually delete features to get people to upgrade their service or raise prices just because they want to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My LastPass subscription is good for like another year due to some promos so unless it gets really bad I see no reason to change.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

There was about a year of no development at all where it was broken as hell

I'm not gonna argue that Marco is not a douche, but I've used Instapaper for years and I have no idea what you're talking about.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm not gonna argue that Marco is not a douche, but I've used Instapaper for years and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ok

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

maduin posted:

If people are jumping off LastPass, 1Password is great and on sale. I've used it for years syncing through Dropbox and never had a problem.

Quick side note: if you have a Mac, you can only use iCloud sync if you bought the Mac App Store version of 1password. Buying it (generally at a discount) outside of it or directly from the developer means you can only do Dropbox.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is gonna be the most idiotic post... Ever.

Can someone kinda.. Walk me through 1Password? Like ok I have it on my iPhone. I have it on my Mac. How do I use it... How is it making my life easier? I'm all about it, I just wanna know how I should be using it...

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Feenix posted:

Can someone kinda.. Walk me through 1Password? Like ok I have it on my iPhone. I have it on my Mac. How do I use it... How is it making my life easier? I'm all about it, I just wanna know how I should be using it...

Don't feel dumb. I bought the pc and iOS version and after a month of banging my head and spending way too long managing passwords and getting irritated at random pc's I use I gave up on all of it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Obligatory I just bought and unlocked Overcast last week tweet

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Is it not just a matter of installing a browser extension and logging into websites to create new entries?

Lastpass is just a matter of installing the extension, logging in, clicking save site when it pops up, and editing settings or notes if you want. When you return to log in, you just click a little asterisk in the form and select the correct site entry, or click the extension button and click auto fill. Or it just does it all automatically if you want and the site supports it. gently caress 1Pass and get a refund if you have to do anything more than that.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

tuyop posted:

Is it not just a matter of installing a browser extension and logging into websites to create new entries?

Lastpass is just a matter of installing the extension, logging in, clicking save site when it pops up, and editing settings or notes if you want. When you return to log in, you just click a little asterisk in the form and select the correct site entry, or click the extension button and click auto fill. Or it just does it all automatically if you want and the site supports it. gently caress 1Pass and get a refund if you have to do anything more than that.

Yeah 1P works like this. The one thing you have to do is set up the sync service. Most people use Dropbox but you could theoretically use whatever you want.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yeah 1P works like this. The one thing you have to do is set up the sync service. Most people use Dropbox but you could theoretically use whatever you want.

Thanks all. I wasn't saying I was trying to do it and confused by implementation.. Just that I was wondering what kind of "convenience" they were selling. Sounds like it'll just remember all my passwords for sites on my phone and Mac and all I have to do is remember my "Master".

Seems solid.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sounds like it'll just remember all my passwords for sites on my phone and Mac and all I have to do is remember my "Master".

Building on this, since you don't need to remember all your passwords, you can greatly increase your password security by using a unique password for every service. All of my passwords are long, effectively impossible-to-remember strings of letters, numbers, and symbols and I don't need to worry about remembering them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Diabolik900 posted:

Building on this, since you don't need to remember all your passwords, you can greatly increase your password security by using a unique password for every service. All of my passwords are long, effectively impossible-to-remember strings of letters, numbers, and symbols and I don't need to worry about remembering them.

This is really cool except I fear I'll one day have to recall them somewhere without my phone or Mac and have trouble. But I guess that's not that likely.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Feenix posted:

This is really cool except I fear I'll one day have to recall them somewhere without my phone or Mac and have trouble. But I guess that's not that likely.

There's the built-in 1Passwordanywhere where the Dropbox files 1Password uses contains a html file which will give you read-only access to your password store so you can get to it from the web via Dropbox. But I'd only use it on a computer I trusted but didn't have 1Password installed on for some reason since you still have to type in your master password and your Dropbox password, and with those two things someone can get all your passwords.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Install it on your Mac and iPhone. If you bought the app store version of both, use iCloud, if not use Dropbox.

Install the extensions on browser(s) of choice on Mac (turn off auto-logon, it is annoying). Enable extension in Safari on iOS. Set up fingerprint auth on iPhone.

Start saving credentials in 1 Password when prompted. iPhone will be sync'd automatically.

If you want to really start using it to the full extent, go here: https://guides.agilebits.com/index.html

Store different IDs for autofill. Store CC and bank account info. Track licensing for non App Store apps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

There's the built-in 1Passwordanywhere where the Dropbox files 1Password uses contains a html file which will give you read-only access to your password store so you can get to it from the web via Dropbox. But I'd only use it on a computer I trusted but didn't have 1Password installed on for some reason since you still have to type in your master password and your Dropbox password, and with those two things someone can get all your passwords.

It's also not much of a concern if you use a one time pad or set of backup passwords for recovery to which you have access as well. I don't use those recovery questions because they're so vulnerable to social engineering. You can always just reset your password if you don't have access to your manager somewhere.

Though I think I have such a web of MFA and backups and nested security at this point that I can't recover any of this stuff if one key point fails. I'm not too worried about it as much as insecurity though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok thanks. So I have regular on Mac and Pro on iPhone. 2 Questions:

1) Can I get them talking together using same "vault"?

2) How do I point the Mac version to Dropbox? (I didn't get the App Store one...) but it hasn't asked yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Ok thanks. So I have regular on Mac and Pro on iPhone. 2 Questions:

1) Can I get them talking together using same "vault"?

2) How do I point the Mac version to Dropbox? (I didn't get the App Store one...) but it hasn't asked yet.

Look under Preferences > Sync.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
1Password is great, why would anyone use another password management service?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tofes posted:

Have you heard about this app called Overcast?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tofes posted:

LastPass is great, why would anyone use another password management service?

tofes posted:

Dashlane is great, why would anyone use another password management service?

tofes posted:

KeePass is great, why would anyone use another password management service?
Now we can move onto more interesting topics.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Endless Mike posted:

Now we can move onto more interesting topics.

Weather apps?!?!?!?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For a more useful post:

File under Cool Niche Apps that I wish I'd known about for a very long time: http://mobileday.com

Basically, it pulls conference call details out of your calendar (call-in numbers, passcodes, etc.), and does all the dumb button pushing and menu navigation for you so you just hit a button and get dumped straight into your conference call. The business model charges you if you use it a bunch, but for just a few a month, it's free.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I was just curious what features other password management services offered. Sorry for posting in the thread I guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've noticed a weird Podcasts.app bug. When pausing with Siri, it resumes as soon as the screen is turned off. Can anyone else replicate this? Doesn't happen with overcast, so there's that.

tofes posted:

I was just curious what features other password management services offered. Sorry for posting in the thread I guess.

I think it's about payment more than features.

Lastpass: subscription and cloud based
1Pass: client based
Dashlane: based on actually setting your money on fire
Keeppass: free, based on being a person with aspergers or someone who is cheap. (See 1Pass with crappy app support)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 10, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

tofes posted:

I wouldn't know either, because there's only 1password and NOT 1password.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

Just a heads up, Overcast is now completely free.

Where? It still has the $5 unlock from what I can see.

Also, gently caress LogMeIn.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

duckfarts posted:

Where? It still has the $5 unlock from what I can see.

2.0 update

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How do you download a podcast without it starting to play the podcast immediately?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
multiple pages of unironic podcast app, weather app, and nowpassword manager app discussion

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hadji murad posted:

How do you download a podcast without it starting to play the podcast immediately?

In what? In Overcast its the exclamation point in a circle on the right side of the podcast episode's tile and pressing download.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

multiple pages of unironic podcast app, weather app, and nowpassword manager app discussion

Better than the official thread's "Show me your ugly screen" contest.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In what? In Overcast its the exclamation point in a circle on the right side of the podcast episode's tile and pressing download.

I thought you could just tap on the undownloaded ones. Now it starts playing with a cloud icon to show its downloading.

Your method does work of course, cheers.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Why in gently caress does the iBooks app lose track of progress? It can save it fine, take me back 40 minutes, or as much as 4 goddamn hours. Any fix to this?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah poo poo. Is there an easy way of moving Last Pass into 1Password?

Edit: I'm a Windows user. My girlfriend is a Mac user. If I purchase the bundle for 1Pass, can she use the Mac key and I use the Windows key? Also, since we both have iPhones. I assume that we would have to buy the IAP for the phone app?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

obi_ant posted:

Ah poo poo. Is there an easy way of moving Last Pass into 1Password?

Edit: I'm a Windows user. My girlfriend is a Mac user. If I purchase the bundle for 1Pass, can she use the Mac key and I use the Windows key? Also, since we both have iPhones. I assume that we would have to buy the IAP for the phone app?

Yes. It will import a LastPass csv file.

Licensing is yes to all your questions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have saved 60 hours with Overcast smart speed. Definitely got my $5 worth.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Looks like people are cool with Marco's patronage thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tofes posted:

It has no Linux support.
Further, it requires desktop software to be installed rather than just a browser extension (last I checked) , so I can't use it at work.
It isn't slick to use on any non-apple platforms.
It isn't a complete service, as they don't do the syncing for you.