Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Holy poo poo I'm completely hooked on this HEALTH album. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus, the new HEALTH is insane. I'm listening to it at work and it's making me work twice as fast. This is a band I really feel like I need to see live someday.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus, the new HEALTH is insane. I'm listening to it at work and it's making me work twice as fast. This is a band I really feel like I need to see live someday.

I saw them open on the LITS tour and aside from Pygmy Love Circus and Melvins, they stand as the only opening act I absolutely loved.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You've only seen three opening acts you've liked? :crossarms:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

axleblaze posted:

You've only seen three opening acts you've liked? :crossarms:

I said absolutely loved! But yeah I mean generally the shows I see have pretty bad opening acts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A few great openers I can think of off the top of my head:
Dillinger Escape Plan before NIN
Periphery before Deftones
Braids before Purity Ring

But yeah, generally openers before shows I've been to have not been amazing or even all that good. A good opener seems more like the exception than the rule.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I think Manson and Street Sweeper were the only openers who made me go buy their poo poo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

A Perfect Circle before NIN was a good show :colbert:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For me:

NIN before Jane's Addiction
Queens of the Stone Age before NIN
Primus before Queens of the Stone Age
Dillinger Escape Plan before AFI
Dragonforce before Killswitch Engage
ISIS before Tool

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I got into Mew, of all things, after seeing them open for NIN

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

One of the worst opening bands I ever saw was Cold Cave when they opened for NiN on their last europe tour.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I saw Marilyn Manson and Korn open for Danzig in Knoxville back in 95 or 96, and it was amazing watching all of the rednecks who were there just to see Danzig play Mother during the opening acts. It wasn't a particularly good show tbh, but the crowd watching was top notch.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I hated DFA79 on the with teeth tour. I thought QOTSA was good simply because they didn't care how much the crowd shat on them. I appreciated how much the band tried whilst knowing the crowd could not care less.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 27, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen many acts that were good openers. The "best" traditional opener would be Kings of Leon, before they made it big, in '06. It wasn't' exactly amazing but it was pleasant enough music to be opening Pearl Jam.

I saw NIN and QOTSA doing the duel headline show thing, and NIN came out first blew through like four Year Zero tunes and then continued to annihilate the audience with a really tight powerful set. And then QOTSA came out and Josh was clearly drunk, and tired of it all and it was the most "meh" thing ever. I never thought I'd be think to my self "Yeah yeah, just play Song for the Dead so we can all go home guys..."

Last time I saw QOTSA on the Era Vulgaris tour they were so tight and full of energy and dynamism it was a real bummer.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
You guys need to see more bands that don't play in big arenas.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess maybe because I've been to so many shows but I just feel I've seen a ton of good openers. Sure I've seen more mediocre to terrible openers but I've seen many that I've either really enjoyed, wanted to see anyways (sometimes more than the headliner) and some that have become part of my regular listening.

Like some bands I've seen as openers that I really like include Garbage, Local H, the Dresden Dolls, Stolen Babies, Lacuna Coil, iwrestledabearonce, A Perfect Circle, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Cheap Trick, The Crystal Method, SONOIO and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Then there are bands I pretty much discovered or got into by seeing them live like (and I'm not expecting anyone to have heard of almost any of these), Humanwine, Bitter Ruin, Sarah Rabdau, Unexpect, Animals as Leaders, Converge, God Forbid, Dying Fetus and Tub Ring.

I'm probably forgetting a great many and for any of these there are also way more bad ones but it's just weird to me to see someone say they've only seen like 3 openers they've really liked.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I went to see Art Brut a few years ago in a tiny venue and Art vs Science opened for them and blew the roof off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BANME.sh posted:

I was gonna say the same thing. I usually go to shows for see at least 2-3 of the bands playing.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Someone recently gifted me a record player with a stack of albums, TDS was one of them.

I feel like I've only heard half of the sounds that are actually on that album before now. It's hard to explain how much BETTER it sounded.

Any other suggestions for NIN on vinyl? I've always been a big fan, but never really graduated past collecting as many halos on CD as possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have Hesitation Marks on vinyl but I never got to properly listen to it because pretty much right after I got that album, my record player stopped working :( It was a few decades old, though. Eventually I sold it for a few bucks on Craigslist and never got a new one. One of these days, I hope to get a new one just so I can hear what Hesitation Marks sounds like through a different source.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pseudophile posted:

Someone recently gifted me a record player with a stack of albums, TDS was one of them.

I feel like I've only heard half of the sounds that are actually on that album before now. It's hard to explain how much BETTER it sounded.

Any other suggestions for NIN on vinyl? I've always been a big fan, but never really graduated past collecting as many halos on CD as possible.

The Fragile and With Teeth have bonus tracks built in.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have Hesitation Marks on vinyl but I never got to properly listen to it because pretty much right after I got that album, my record player stopped working :( It was a few decades old, though. Eventually I sold it for a few bucks on Craigslist and never got a new one. One of these days, I hope to get a new one just so I can hear what Hesitation Marks sounds like through a different source.

I worry about this because this setup is straight from the 70s. It's been sitting in an attic for at least 15 years. It's worked flawlessly so far though! Even came with some extra needles. I'll have to check out Hesitation Marks, if my TDS listen is any indication of what I've been missing out then I'm in for a ride.

On the plus side, I've got a stack of awesome 70s rock on vinyl now too.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

For me it's more an issue of not really having the time, or the inclination to put up with the trouble of going somewhere for a show I'm not pretty sure I'm gonna like. A lot of the times the opening acts are either nonexistent (a few Pumpkins tours I saw) or just very strange and not my thing. I did see NIN on the fragility tour, and APC was pretty good, but the sound at the venue was abysmal so it screwed it up.

So yeah anyway what I'm saying is that I'm old and boring and if I'm going to commit to a couple of days out of my life to see a concert it's probably gonna be a big one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, my excuse is i'm in Australia and decent bands are rarely, if ever, support bands in Australia.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I had my music folder set on random and just by coincidence 05 Ghosts I came on right before Tsuneo Imahori's Big Bluff from the Trigun score.

The whoosing noise in the beginning before the melody in 05 Ghosts sounds just like a slowed-down version of the same sound at the beginning of Big Bluff, and the bass melody has the same note progression. It's either a weird coincidence or Trent Reznor is a fan of Imahori's work.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Robin went and made a video game soundtrack.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/01/nine-inch-nails-guitarist-robin-finck-soundtrack-noct/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Atticus did the soundtrack to Fear The Walking Dead, and honestly it sounds so much like their movie work I really wonder whether he does 90% of the work.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Atticus did the soundtrack to Fear The Walking Dead, and honestly it sounds so much like their movie work I really wonder whether he does 90% of the work.

I binge-watched Touching Evil the other week, which was fantastic, and Atticus scored that, too. Sounded a lot like Ghosts in many places.

Also the pilot has A Warm Place right at the start and the Still version of The Day The World Went Away at the end.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I binge-watched Touching Evil the other week,
Where did you find that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Quote-Unquote posted:

I binge-watched Touching Evil the other week, which was fantastic, and Atticus scored that, too. Sounded a lot like Ghosts in many places.

Also the pilot has A Warm Place right at the start and the Still version of The Day The World Went Away at the end.

The music in that show is so loving good.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how this didn't get posted yet.

A couple weeks ago, Moog released a video of Trent talking about Moog synthesizers and how they influenced him as a musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

no one mentioning 'Hurt' played a huge part of the season finale of Rick & Morty?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Photex posted:

no one mentioning 'Hurt' played a huge part of the season finale of Rick & Morty?

The TVIV thread is viciously divided on whether it was played for laughs or meant to be totally serious, in their TV show about screaming suns and Cronenberg monster planets and characters named Mr. Poopybutthole. It's a pretty terrible thread.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

The TVIV thread is viciously divided on whether it was played for laughs or meant to be totally serious, in their TV show about screaming suns and Cronenberg monster planets and characters named Mr. Poopybutthole. It's a pretty terrible thread.

There's a show with a character named mr poopybutthole? Jesus how far have we fallen as a people

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Platypus Farm posted:

There's a show with a character named mr poopybutthole? Jesus how far have we fallen as a people

It's one of the best TV shows ever, go squanch yourself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

To be fair, he's named that way as a red herring. I'd say more, but it ruins the best episode of the show. (He's only in one episode full of joke characters, and at the very end of the season finale.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

Pretty good character trust

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Poopybutthole is the character finde of 2015, no joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where did you find that?

Oh man, this is a honeypot. Well it's never been released on home media or streaming in any way, so I got it from a torrent (trap sprung!)

I'd buy the blu ray or even a dvd of it in a heartbeat if it existed, because it was so goddamn awesome.