Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

notZaar posted:

Man the second ending to this game is really dumb. You spend 30 minutes in a tense fight, fending off choppers, APCs, and some kind of magic tanks that kill Snake in one hit and then ... Snake gets bit by a cobra while hiding behind a rock from a single soldier. What the gently caress was the point.

A magic tank that kills in one hit, other wise known as a regular tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I would trade the entirety of Quiet for a storyline about D-Walker becoming sentient as you research the upgrades.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

notZaar posted:

Man the second ending to this game is really dumb. You spend 30 minutes in a tense fight, fending off choppers, APCs, and some kind of magic tanks that kill Snake in one hit and then ... Snake gets bit by a cobra while hiding behind a rock from a single soldier. What the gently caress was the point.

Pfffheh get a load of THIS guy with his WRONG opinions, what a WRONGO! (I totally agree with you)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

So what does that make the green tanks? Phantoms?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

(you're a battle hardened chopper pilot on a mission to retrieve someone you've just learned speaks Navajo but doesn't speak English)

:supaburn:: BOSS COME IN I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE

:420:: (speaks language that you haven't heard before)

:supaburn:: I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH

:420:: (futilely attempts to remind you that you have a Navajo speaker at base)

:supaburn:: ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT

Also it's funny that Miller chastises you for "abandoning" Quiet if you try to move away from the Chopper in any direction other than the one that he somehow knows is the direction of Quiet's tape.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I did like Quiet viciously chopping a man's dicknballs into so much useless meat.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
Why didn't she just get treatment for the cord parasites? Would they even have killed her, since her lungs are already ruined?

Just why?? What was the point of losing Quiet for no reason?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vic Boss posted:

Why didn't she just get treatment for the cord parasites? Would they even have killed her, since her lungs are already ruined?

Just why?? What was the point of losing Quiet for no reason?

She hadn't yet decided if she wanted to kill VenomBoss or not. They discuss this on tapes about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've been taking a break from playing TPP for the last week. It's given me some time to mull over how I feel about the story and the ending...

I like the idea that, no matter what story of "How Big Boss became Big Boss" we were told, it would never satisfy everyone. There's always people who will say "but that's no really how I see Big Boss, that's not how I played as Big Boss..." so what does Kojima do? He tells us a story. And then basically admits that the story is bullshit, and has the protagonist of the story punch the reflection of big boss and say "that's bullshit, that's not how I played as Big Boss".

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I just went back to mother base and my guys were killing each other and I got lectured about keeping staff out of the waiting room.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Snak posted:

I've been taking a break from playing TPP for the last week. It's given me some time to mull over how I feel about the story and the ending...

I like the idea that, no matter what story of "How Big Boss became Big Boss" we were told, it would never satisfy everyone. There's always people who will say "but that's no really how I see Big Boss, that's not how I played as Big Boss..." so what does Kojima do? He tells us a story. And then basically admits that the story is bullshit, and has the protagonist of the story punch the reflection of big boss and say "that's bullshit, that's not how I played as Big Boss".

The way I saw it was that this IS the story of Big Boss because the real Big Boss is essentially doomed to undergo the exact same process as Venom Snake. Like, we're being told the story by proxy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Nothing else in the game OHKOs other than Sahelanthropus's rail gun though, it does feel pretty bullshit inside the game's mechanics that this once certain type of tank you're probably never encountered before can OHKO off of splash damage when Snake (in Battle Dress) can normally walk off a direct hit from the others

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you've done the Tank Unit side ops, then you've encountered the OHKO tank. Multiple times. Sometimes two at once.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

I would trade the entirety of Quiet for a storyline about D-Walker becoming sentient as you research the upgrades.

Would have hated that, however a storyline about turning it into MG TX-55 Would have been cool

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

For a while, i thought maybe Battle Gear would become TX-55, but that was when I still thought Battle Gear might have relevance to the plot beyond the one cutscene in which it gets turned on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Funky Valentine posted:

If you've done the Tank Unit side ops, then you've encountered the OHKO tank. Multiple times. Sometimes two at once.

I did the repeating side ops up to a certain point, but after 70 hours of this game I was ready to sprint to the finish line. I appreciate the effort to make the mission structure feel more like a deployment and less like a spreadsheet of shortcuts to coordinates on a map, but the game crossed the line from immersion to filler eventually.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I was told Snake's max health pool gets lowered the more he gets damaged, and so the tanks don't actually OHK you by design, you're just getting OHK because you've been getting hit a million times during the fight. Does that make any sense?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah but in side ops they're not on alert and firing on your position by default, you're railroaded into the tank mission and can't even quit out and equip other weapons or camo, that's bullshit.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The tanks in mission 45 never killed me in one shot and I was using the rank 2 battle dress. Maybe it was because I took a shower prior to the mission?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Before the game came out, I suspected there was going to be time trickery and the coma would somehow parallel/actually be BB waking up after getting Solidus chunks post-MG2.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Venom getting bit by a snake (there were twin snakes, no less) is awesome because it's pretty much the bluntest metaphor possible for what becoming a Snake does to people. Snakes end separating him from Quiet both literally and figuratively. Also his codename name, etc. etc.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Similar to Volgin, that snake was the personification of vengeance of all the snakes that Big Boss ate during Snake Eater.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The cobra was possessed by Raikov.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

ImpAtom posted:

She hadn't yet decided if she wanted to kill VenomBoss or not. They discuss this on tapes about it.

Yeah but... Why?? Spent 90% of the game with her at 100% bond, save her life a couple times... What a stupid plot point.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Quick correction on that earlier update: I am still losing people and my morale is dropping despite having been out of the red for a good while now, so if anyone else that's having this problem can annoy Konami about it at least briefly, please have it. Last I heard, they're not acknowledging it as either a bug or a new, god-awful mechanic.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Zombie Raptor posted:

Quick correction on that earlier update: I am still losing people and my morale is dropping despite having been out of the red for a good while now, so if anyone else that's having this problem can annoy Konami about it at least briefly, please have it. Last I heard, they're not acknowledging it as either a bug or a new, god-awful mechanic.

Do you have a single Troublemaker in any of your departments?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Zombie Raptor posted:

They will also fight if you have a lot of troublemakers, or if you never visit motherbase.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Vic Boss posted:

Yeah but... Why?? Spent 90% of the game with her at 100% bond, save her life a couple times... What a stupid plot point.

Because while you're being murder buddies with her, you also have her tortured and interrogated and keep her in a prison cell. If anything Quiet just has Stockholm syndrome.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm familiar with the Troublemaker issue and how to handle it. That's not the problem. They are not fighting, I have more Diplomats than Troublemakers in every unit, and the Troublemakers I do have are all at an even number to ensure that the effect cancels itself out, as the in-game tip thing says during load times.

This is not the only aspect of this problem. It stems from an entirely unexplained loss of GMP that I experienced (along with other players, including some Goons who have posted here about it). It wasn't due to any FOB expense and just throws players into the negatives. When I recouped the loss it continued to behave as though I was in the red.

edited because I can't spell

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there anything substantial story-wise after the Truth mission/second credits? It says I'm about 50% complete but I'm not sure if that figure includes blueprints and the like.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

marauderthirty posted:

Is there anything substantial story-wise after the Truth mission/second credits? It says I'm about 50% complete but I'm not sure if that figure includes blueprints and the like.

If you have completed Mission 45 and 46 then your next step is to youtube the video for Mission 51 which exists only as a special features animatic. The rest of your completion has to do with research / blueprints / side mission objectives / etc.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

marauderthirty posted:

As far as I know that's an overall completion counter that takes side-ops and such into consideration. I haven't found a lot after Truth in terms of story, but it depends on what you consider substantial. There's the little FOB cutscene and stuff with the nuke disarming, and the Paz thing on the Medical platform and with the wandering soldiers, but I can see it being pretty easily argued that that's not substantial. I've seen it argued that no aspect of the story was substantial a few times today alone.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Zombie Raptor posted:

I'm familiar with the Troublemaker issue and how to handle it. That's not the problem. They are not fighting, I have more Diplomats than Troublemakers in every unit, and the Troublemakers I do have are all at an even number to ensure that the effect cancels itself out, as the in-game tip thing says during load times.

This is not the only aspect of this problem. It stems from an entirely unexplained loss of GMP that I experienced (along with other players, including some Goons who have posted here about it). It wasn't due to any FOB expense and just throws players into the negatives. When I recouped the loss it continued to behave as though I was in the red.

edited because I can't spell

The unexplained loss comes from the patch where some GMP were moved online. If you aren't connected you lose the online portion which can throw you into the red.
The diplomat/even number thing is completely false and does nothing or very little, the loading screen is bunk. They will put people into sick-bay and it doesn't matter how many diplomats or how many other troublemakers you have in that unit.

Your moral is low you need to actually raise it again to remove the negative effects. Visit MB, fire troublemakers. Intentionally disconnect and make sure you're positive by a good amount.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I would be inclined to agree that out of all the games, V is lightest on story.

Still a solid drat game. Just kinda bittersweet.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Domattee posted:

The unexplained loss comes from the patch where some GMP were moved online. If you aren't connected you lose the online portion which can throw you into the red.
The diplomat/even number thing is completely false and does nothing or very little, the loading screen is bunk. They will put people into sick-bay and it doesn't matter how many diplomats or how many other troublemakers you have in that unit.

Your moral is low you need to actually raise it again to remove the negative effects. Visit MB, fire troublemakers. Intentionally disconnect and make sure you're positive by a good amount.

Nope. That's not it, I assure you. I have been connected and my connection makes no difference. Same for the others experiencing the bug. The Troublemaker suggestion is further mooted by the fact that, despite that being an impossible cause for this for several other reasons I've already mentioned, the staff loss problem stopped after I rebooted my system. So far, after I've restarted, I haven't lost more morale or any staff members, though I haven't regained my GMP. Lastly, that last suggestion would be laughable if you had any way to know how much time I spend dicking around MB running target practice side-ops while I deploy units to farm.

You don't have to believe me, but I know what I am talking about.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so with the GMP in the red bug, is it console only or is it all platforms? Since it seems related to MGO, will I be safe on PC or is it everywhere?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Luna Was Here posted:

so with the GMP in the red bug, is it console only or is it all platforms? Since it seems related to MGO, will I be safe on PC or is it everywhere?

All I can say for certain about that is that I'm on PS4 and it happened. I can't say if it's isolated, though. I hope it is, because it's really infuriating since there's no explanation yet and complaints are met with troubleshooting methods for other issues. The big worry for me, personally, is it happening again and knowing how to avoid that, if at all possible. I don't really wish the experience on anyone, and I assure you Konami customer support reps are exactly as miserable with their jobs as you'd expect.

Edit: I want to clarify that I don't know for sure whether or not this is a bug, but that's seriously what it seems like. All the stuff I've seen online about others having the problems give very similar accounts and have also started since the MGO launch/game update/patch on the sixth.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 9, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zombie Raptor posted:

As far as I know that's an overall completion counter that takes side-ops and such into consideration. I haven't found a lot after Truth in terms of story, but it depends on what you consider substantial. There's the little FOB cutscene and stuff with the nuke disarming, and the Paz thing on the Medical platform and with the wandering soldiers, but I can see it being pretty easily argued that that's not substantial. I've seen it argued that no aspect of the story was substantial a few times today alone.

As a player, I would have felt like the Paz thing was pretty substantial and important if almost all of the scenes weren't just from Paz's Diary of her time on Mother Base during the events of Peace Walker. I listened to those tapes in Ground Zeroes, so it was kind of a let-down for there to be more Paz content in TPP, but for it to be nothing "new".

But, it actually makes perfect sense for it to be that way. Medic wasn't a main character in Peace Walker, so we have no reason to think that he knew Paz very well at all. So of course his hallucination of her is based on what he knows about the angel of peace. It's why he has to give her a new photo for her to say anything new. He has to see it before he can hallucinate her describing it.

Also, it might be the reason that the Paz projection "has amnesia" and only remembers being the innocent angel of peace. That's what Medic feels guilty about not saving.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Because while you're being murder buddies with her, you also have her tortured and interrogated and keep her in a prison cell. If anything Quiet just has Stockholm syndrome.

The frolicking in the rain scene was a very nice and sweet segue into the pointless electro torture one scene later in my game. Really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Snak posted:

As a player, I would have felt like the Paz thing was pretty substantial and important if almost all of the scenes weren't just from Paz's Diary of her time on Mother Base during the events of Peace Walker. I listened to those tapes in Ground Zeroes, so it was kind of a let-down for there to be more Paz content in TPP, but for it to be nothing "new".

But, it actually makes perfect sense for it to be that way. Medic wasn't a main character in Peace Walker, so we have no reason to think that he knew Paz very well at all. So of course his hallucination of her is based on what he knows about the angel of peace. It's why he has to give her a new photo for her to say anything new. He has to see it before he can hallucinate her describing it.

Also, it might be the reason that the Paz projection "has amnesia" and only remembers being the innocent angel of peace. That's what Medic feels guilty about not saving.

I agree in general, but I didn't play Peace Walker and only know the whole Paz tale via what I've read online about the games I haven't played (Peace Walker, the Raiden one, the basic skeleton of that gives Portable Ops a sort-of story), so that aspect was sort of missed on me. Having said that, that particular issue is due to me not having played those games and not any fault of the writing or in-game storytelling, so I think it works pretty well even if it didn't have the same impact.

• Locked thread