Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cool I'll put up the photos tomorrow after work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone have tips for scanning slide film in Epson Scan?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone have tips for scanning slide film in Epson Scan?

Just like scanning negatives without having the orange mask. 16-bit TIFF Positive, turn off sharpening and the auto contrast thingie. You still have to fix the levels in photoshop since the auto contrast correction will clip them. Digital ICE is nice but won't work well on old Kodachrome slides so watch out for that.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Seems like the only way I can get a properly exposed scan is by turning on the Color Control option with continuous auto exposure selected. Is this normal or am I overlooking something?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just finished scanning a ton of slides and didn't have to do that.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fix your levels in Photoshop afterwards like any other scan

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Cool I'll put up the photos tomorrow after work!

Hey man just checking in on this

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Geektox posted:

Hey man just checking in on this

Was super busy, I'm taking the photos as I type.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'm scanning some instamatic film on an Epson 4490. It is not cutting the film properly in the preview at all. What can I do to fix this? (turning off trimming does not help)

Ignore that I am stupid and have it on color instead of grayscale for BW (there is no 16 bit color option, just 24 bit and 48 bit)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Defenestration posted:

I'm scanning some instamatic film on an Epson 4490. It is not cutting the film properly in the preview at all. What can I do to fix this? (turning off trimming does not help)

Ignore that I am stupid and have it on color instead of grayscale for BW (there is no 16 bit color option, just 24 bit and 48 bit)

48 bit is 16 bits per channel, which is what you want. Turn off 'trimming' and specify the target size as the 126 frame size (29 x 28mm).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

48 bit is 16 bits per channel, which is what you want. Turn off 'trimming' and specify the target size as the 126 frame size (29 x 28mm).
This doesn't seem to help.

I set the target size, then I turned trimming to "off", and it grays out the target size boxes and changes the height to 19.3mm. It still is cutting the previews all wrong, whether I have trimming on or not, and there doesn't seem to be a difference between the two, or any difference when I change the target size...

After I preview, it pops the settings right back to the default.

Any ideas?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

This doesn't seem to help.

I set the target size, then I turned trimming to "off", and it grays out the target size boxes and changes the height to 19.3mm. It still is cutting the previews all wrong, whether I have trimming on or not, and there doesn't seem to be a difference between the two, or any difference when I change the target size...

After I preview, it pops the settings right back to the default.

Any ideas?

I had basically all the same stuff happen with my last roll. I ended up just clipping and further spreading out the shots the software was having a hard time finding the borders on. Usually one, sometimes two, per strip. So instead of two scans of four it was like, one side being 2 and 2 and the other side being 1 2 1. Which was OK in the holder and a colossal pain in the rear end for storage after the fact.

Then I posted some shots in here and everyone told me they had a green cast I couldn't see so I decided to stop shooting film for a while.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Epson Scan will only find frame borders for you if you use 35mm film. It won't find them on smaller or larger format film. You need to uncheck the "thumbnails" box at the very bottom and make your own frame borders using the marquee tool instead.

And your shots need to have enough contrast between the subject and frame borders or else it will get confused too.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Also scan in positive and invert in photoshop :shepface:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

Also scan in positive and invert in photoshop :shepface:

^^^

Also, these areas worry me:

Why sharpen here?
Why set the target size to whatever instamatic means and UPscale?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

^^^

Also, these areas worry me:

Why sharpen here?
Why set the target size to whatever instamatic means and UPscale?

It sucks but you ALSO have to watch out for this

This button is "auto exposure" which is basically telling epson scan to throw out any data it doesn't think you need. "Select All" on the preview and hit "reset" to clear it. It always does a lovely job for me, and it the software re-selects that option automatically anytime you make a new selection on the preview :(

It is really lovely that you have to fight the software so much to make it not mangle your images.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
just got my first ever drum scan. holy moley....

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Genderfluid posted:

just got my first ever drum scan. holy moley....

Post comparisons

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm trying scan some negatives for the first time. I've got a Canoscan 9000fmkii and I'm using the supplied 35mm slide holder. I've tried several different scan settings using the supplied software (Auto & 'Scan Gear' custom settings) as well as the OS X built-in scanner function. I'm using 2400dpi TIFF, positive color. (I can't seem to find a way to select bit depth, although I've ticked the box that says [16/48-bit] somewhere deep in the Canon software settings.

My first couple of scans from home-developed B&W film came out looking pretty soft. Since the negatives were a little curled, I decided to throw in some color strips that I'd had developed at a lab. They're good and flat, although not perfectly so. Unfortunately, they still come out looking the same:

That's a little more than 66% crop of the full-size image, with a very quick and dirty color inversion/levels job in PS.

When I use this same lens adapted to a digital camera, it produces images that are very sharp across the whole frame. Is there something else I can do to pull some more detail out of this?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Your holder isn't in focus. Consider putting tiny pieces of paper underneath the feet to raise it slightly, if that makes it worse you likely need to start filing the edges to bring it down.

Hot tip: if the grain on the negative isn't in focus, the negative itself isn't in focus, regardless of the actual image.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for that model but I had a cheaper CanoScan that I tried to use for film scanning and it got similarly poor results.

100% zoom:

And then I got a cheapo used Epson 4870 and didn't look back:

Maybe Canon just make lovely film scanners.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah I had a CanoScan a while back that was equally garbage but I also paid like 5 bucks for it at a thrift store.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's got a really great lo-fi aesthetic, perfect for a moody night in with your friends

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Surely is isn't that lovely, is it? It costs about the same as the Epson and has good reviews. Based on the consumer reviews I browsed (admittedly not that many) it seemed like a toss-up between this and the Epson V550/600. Could the Epson really be that much better? If there's a just a slight edge to the Epson in critical image quality at high magnification, I can live with Canoscan. But it has to be in focus - the results I'm getting right now aren't acceptable to me.

I guess I won't start shaving down the film holder if I'm going to return it. But I will try adding some paper shims and placing the film directly on the glass, to see if I can get it to resolve grain.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you put it on the glass you're going to get newton rings. If it happens to be sharper despite the rings, you know you'll need to shave it down. If shimming it up makes the image worse, consider shaving it down. It's an iterative process.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I ended up just buying a sheet of glass and taping the negatives down with gaffer tape since I think it's focused right against the glass. Make sure you get etched glass and place the curl against the sheet of glass so you dont get newton rings.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I want to say thanks everyone for your help. I've been trucking along on the scanning and now I'm into the 90s so the film is more standard and thumbnail view is doing it for me.

I am finding that my parents took a lot of terrible photos.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Can anyone see a significant detail difference between these two 66% crops?This is with equal sharpening applied in PS. (Unsharp Mask with scanning software looks even worse.) Everything should be the same in terms of processing, except that the colors are ever so slightly different. I wish I could find somebody around here with an Epson V600 to compare to.

Touching the glass:

Correctly placed in holder:

No Newton rings. The film is very well-flattened so I guess that's to be expected?

Raising the holder seemed to degrade the image further.

I think the negative touching the glass looks ever so slightly sharper, but not to a really appreciable extent.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 10, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Touching the glass is probably out of focus in the other direction, but less so than the holder :v:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Welp! Back to the store you go, Canoscan.

I've tried 5 different arrangements of film, paper shims, and film tray. None of them produce scans that look like they're in focus. Even after careful sharpening in PS, I can compare some neg scans I did today with some from the same negs I had made at my local drugstore, and the drugstore files are invariably much sharper and show better clarity, even though they're jpegs about 1/20th the size of the scanner's tiffs.

Will pick up an Epson tomorrow. I hope it does better. I'm shooting an event tomorrow, too, and I'd like to have negatives developed and scanned by the end of the weekend. If I could get both those things done at home, that would be awesome.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Welp! Back to the store you go, Canoscan.

I've tried 5 different arrangements of film, paper shims, and film tray. None of them produce scans that look like they're in focus. Even after careful sharpening in PS, I can compare some neg scans I did today with some from the same negs I had made at my local drugstore, and the drugstore files are invariably much sharper and show better clarity, even though they're jpegs about 1/20th the size of the scanner's tiffs.

Will pick up an Epson tomorrow. I hope it does better. I'm shooting an event tomorrow, too, and I'd like to have negatives developed and scanned by the end of the weekend. If I could get both those things done at home, that would be awesome.

Well, not saying your Canoscan isn't a total POS, but drugstore scans use a dedicated 35mm machine, which produces better results than even a really nice flatbed. The reason lots of us use flatbeds is because they can do MF/LF as well, plus many of the dedicated 35mm scanners are getting pretty long in the tooth and drivers/software/ports can be a pain, not to mention the slower workflow.

Not saying the Epson won't be reasonable quality (I would definitely expect an improvement over what you posted), but it's possible you still might like the drugstore ones more close-up.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I just bought a V600, it's way sharper than what you posted on 35mm.

e: better but not by a huge margin, I guess that's what the betterscanning holders are for

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 10, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The drugstore scans I get are very plainly sharp and in-focus, but the level of detail is very low due to resizing.

Here a link to one of the scans. (Sorry, can't autogen a bbcode link on my phone) https://flic.kr/p/yQX2X2

I like the color and am glad it's in-focus, but will appreciate the latitude that a large 16 bit tiff gives.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Drugstore scans also have a fuckload of sharpening applied to them.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for telling me about epson, thread. There's quite a difference between my new V550 and the now-returned Canoscan. How strange that one produces such dramatically shittier results compared to the other, and yet they are priced and reviewed largely the same. Maybe my Canoscan was just defectively misfocused, but I wasn't going to bother with exchanging it for another. The V550 solved the problem.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sorry to double post, but what's up with the epson software making multi-page TIFFs instead of saving discrete files? I can only get photoshop to display the first scanned image in the 'stack' of scans. I have to go into Preview and export each page individually (on a Mac). Can I change this behavior?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 11, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Yep, its on the dialog box that you type the name and file type for the scan, change it to uncompressed tiff and uncheck the multi-page check box.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just don't shoot enough medium format, so I'm thinking of dumping that and my Epson V600 for a dedicated 35mm scanner that should hopefully give me sharper results. Which scanners should I be looking at? PlusTek seems like a pretty popular brand; is there a rundown of the differences between all the models?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Do you prefer resolution or speed? If the latter, I'm sure everyone already knows my answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
^^ the pakon can't do B&W or slide film though :(

• Locked thread