Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

Members of the Freedom Caucus have openly supported Ryan and few will bash him publicly. They're insane, of course, but I think enough of them like him that they won't vote as a bloc since I believe that requires 85% per their rules.

That'd be best for the GOP honestly, the tea party itself could fracture instead of the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

skaboomizzy posted:

Paul Ryan: not conservative enough to be speaker?

He voted for the TARP bailout, doesn't want to kill every illegal immigrant, doesn't hate gays enough, and is "a mouthpiece for the establishment".

Holy poo poo, these people.

:stonklol:

We're never going to have a speaker again, are we?

Poor Boehner (not really, gently caress him)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Riosan posted:

Kasich could have been a strong contender had Trump not flipped traditional political thinking on its head. Now he just looks like a 'me too' candidate alongside Jeb!

:3:

Kasich was certainly banking on being the whitest piece of bread. Worked great in the 2012 primary!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Doesn't sound like this one even got any rounds off at least, sounds like a guy was seen with a gun and got taken down before he could do anything.

God dammit, we almost had a hat trick!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, everything I've read about the TPP points to it being one giant "gently caress China" trade agreement that's being made with all of their usual trade partners. The IP stuff looks like everyone has to just adopt US IP law while getting a ton of concessions for them to do businesses with the US and each other while cutting off working with China.

Yes, the entire plan from the beginning was countries that were dependent on Chinese trade wanting to say "gently caress China", which has proved a pressing need with recent stumbles in the Chinese market.

Also the Australians claim they got the US to back down on nearly all the medicine related stuff which was the only real worry.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, the entire plan from the beginning was countries that were dependent on Chinese trade wanting to say "gently caress China", which has proved a pressing need with recent stumbles in the Chinese market.

Also the Australians claim they got the US to back down on nearly all the medicine related stuff which was the only real worry.

Oh really? What about all the stuff about intellectual property, internet data privacy and so forth? Keep in mind that I haven't read the document myself and have only heard a bunch of articles and so forth talking about how the TPP is awful.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

evilweasel posted:

Members of the Freedom Caucus have openly supported Ryan and few will bash him publicly. They're insane, of course, but I think enough of them like him that they won't vote as a bloc since I believe that requires 85% per their rules.

USPOL October: They're Insane, Of Course.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

USPOL October: They're Insane, Of Course.

USPOL October: Where we're going, we won't need Speakers to lead

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Artificer posted:

Found on Reddit, but apparently the final draft of TPP was leaked on Wikileaks?

https://wikileaks.org/tpp-ip3/WikiLeaks-TPP-IP-Chapter/WikiLeaks-TPP-IP-Chapter-051015.pdf

It's hard to trust WL on presenting it fairly when they were the ones putting a bounty out for leaks when it didn't even exist and then trying to post leaks of a thing that didn't exist. Like, saying 'I found this on Reddit from wikileaks' might as well be 'my drunk uncle told me this at thanksgiving' at this point when it comes to TPP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Artificer posted:

Oh really? What about all the stuff about intellectual property, internet data privacy and so forth? Keep in mind that I haven't read the document myself and have only heard a bunch of articles and so forth talking about how the TPP is awful.

What about those concern you, what is 'the stuff'?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are they gone as in scaled down to not be a massive handout to pharmaceutical companies but will still gently caress over the poor, or gone as in 100% gone? Haven't seen what Australia got the US to compromise on that and that was literally the only part of the TPP that I really didn't like.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Make that four shootings. :smith:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1-dead-1-wounded-1-detained-in-shooting-near-texas-southern-university/ar-AAfhRmO

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

At this point I don't think that they want anybody because they're adopting a strategy of not being satisfied with anything and trying to force everyone else to offer concessions in order to prevent imminent disaster.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Still only two. Texas and Arizona.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Should just expel the lot of them tbh.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Buffer posted:

Nahh, just force reconstruction on them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

Can you be specific on what you want to know about? I'll remind you that no one before like 4 weeks ago was talking about anything verifiably coming from the actual negotiators or documents.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Are they gone as in scaled down to not be a massive handout to pharmaceutical companies but will still gently caress over the poor, or gone as in 100% gone? Haven't seen what Australia got the US to compromise on that and that was literally the only part of the TPP that I really didn't like.

The articles from the Australian media seem pretty optimistic: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/04/andrew-robb-australia-and-us-close-to-drug-patent-compromise-for-tpp-deal

The big thing that was still at issue in recent years was whether to make data exclusivity stay at 5 years (current term in Australia, and New Zealand, and many other countries) or expand it to 8 years (which might already be the standard in the US). Either way, the actual patent terms have been the same in all the countries involved, same as in the US, but changing the number of years of data exclusivity means it would take longer for generics to be on the market, in many cases, after the drug patent dies, even though the period is still up years and years before the patent is.

Things like "Australia has to give up its prescription price enforcement thing" were unacceptable in negotiation flat out, even if it had been proposed. No parties had anything available to give up in return for asking for that.

I do have to ask: what were you expecting that was going to be "a massive handout to pharmaceutical companies"?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We elected a leader whose head is now in a basket. Would you like to take it out and ask it "Who should be the next speaker, John Boehner's head?" "Uh, do whatever you want, I'm super dead!"

The right wing is leading!

The right wing is rioting! Frankly, I find it a little disquieting that would let you ideology blind you to reality. Peter King!

Yes sir?

Draft a statement of brutality.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's hard to trust WL on presenting it fairly when they were the ones putting a bounty out for leaks when it didn't even exist and then trying to post leaks of a thing that didn't exist. Like, saying 'I found this on Reddit from wikileaks' might as well be 'my drunk uncle told me this at thanksgiving' at this point when it comes to TPP.

Ah, fair enough.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What about those concern you, what is 'the stuff'?

Things like:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...c9a9_story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/business/trans-pacific-partnership-seen-as-door-for-foreign-suits-against-us.html?_r=0

That seems silly, doesn't it? Of course the actual text of the clause mentioned isn't quoted, and I can't confirm if it is actually in there, but if there are provisions like that in the TPP then that does seem worrying.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hooded Reptile posted:

US: North Korea 'likely preparing' weapons test
Submarine-launched missile could be tested

this should go well.

Just in time for the 70th anniversary of the Worker's Party. :haw:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Can you be specific on what you want to know about? I'll remind you that no one before like 4 weeks ago was talking about anything verifiably coming from the actual negotiators or documents.

And yeah the articles I posted were from before anyone knew anything verifiable. I guess maybe I should reserve judgement after all?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea until recently everyone saying "THE TPP IS GONNA DESTROY IP AND BAN ANIME AND BASICALLY KILL THE INTERNET" had literally no source for that other than their own rear end.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tell me more about banning anime

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea until recently everyone saying "THE TPP IS GONNA DESTROY IP AND BAN ANIME AND BASICALLY KILL THE INTERNET" had literally no source for that other than their own rear end.

Huh. I wonder where all the uproar came from then? What was the impetus for the rear end talking?

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Article 2.1 of the TPP states that “No Party may require, as a condition of registration, that a sign be visually perceptible, nor may a Party deny registration of a trademark solely on the grounds that the sign of which it is composed is a sound or a scent.”

wat?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

I do have to ask: what were you expecting that was going to be "a massive handout to pharmaceutical companies"?

IIRC there was something that read like it would force a kind of Medicare part D onto all the nations which was a huge handout to pharmaceutical companies in the US along with greatly expanding how long it would take before generic drugs could be manufactured for even domestic consumption which would be a huge "gently caress you" to the poor in nations that signed on.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Buffer posted:

It's ludicrously implausible but has the advantages that Democrats would probably go along with the plan with no concessions since hey, open seats while the Republicans would still hold the majority and could elect a speaker of their choosing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

Huh. I wonder where all the uproar came from then? What was the impetus for the rear end talking?

In 2013 people uploaded a bunch of random snippets and commentaries claimed to be "from the TPP" to Wikileaks.

Hooded Reptile posted:

Article 2.1 of the TPP states that “No Party may require, as a condition of registration, that a sign be visually perceptible, nor may a Party deny registration of a trademark solely on the grounds that the sign of which it is composed is a sound or a scent.”

wat?

It's saying that sounds and scents may be trademarked. This has been true for a long time: you know the Intel jingle? That's a sound trademark. So is the old AT&T one, and the NBC chimes.

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC there was something that read like it would force a kind of Medicare part D onto all the nations which was a huge handout to pharmaceutical companies in the US along with greatly expanding how long it would take before generic drugs could be manufactured for even domestic consumption which would be a huge "gently caress you" to the poor in nations that signed on.

Yeah that's something that if it was proposed would be staunchly vetoed by Australia and New Zealand, and they're both really important nations ot the whole deal to begin with.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Artificer posted:

Someone really wanted to pretend like they are in Deus Ex.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

computer parts posted:

"I didn't ask for this." Paul Ryan, right now, probably.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

computer parts posted:

Rhetoric? And you believe it?

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Could Nancy Pelosi be the next speaker of the House?

????????????

The system, however, falls apart if “not enough people” in the majority party back the party’s candidate. Moreover, we can quantify what “not enough people” actually equals: the key here is the number of seats over and above the bare minimum needed to win a majority vote. In the US House of Representatives, that number is 218 (435/2 = 217.5). If a party holds the majority by a single seat — 218 vs. 217 — then essentially every single member of the majority party could, in theory, threaten to defect to the minority party and defeat the nominee of the majority party.

lol

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
I'm the republican party and can't find a leader.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hooded Reptile posted:

Could Nancy Pelosi be the next speaker of the House?

????????????

The system, however, falls apart if “not enough people” in the majority party back the party’s candidate. Moreover, we can quantify what “not enough people” actually equals: the key here is the number of seats over and above the bare minimum needed to win a majority vote. In the US House of Representatives, that number is 218 (435/2 = 217.5). If a party holds the majority by a single seat — 218 vs. 217 — then essentially every single member of the majority party could, in theory, threaten to defect to the minority party and defeat the nominee of the majority party.

lol

If you find a way to prevent 60 Republicans from showing up for an extended time, thus reducing the margin required for a majority to the Democratic caucus, then yes, Pelosi becomes speaker.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you find a way to prevent 60 Republicans from showing up for an extended time, thus reducing the margin required for a majority to the Democratic caucus, then yes, Pelosi becomes speaker.

I'm not saying anyone should do this, but I can find around 40 Republicans that meet in one place and if something where to happen like a gas explosion...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mass salmonella outbreak from bad chicken tacos?

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
The republican party is on the ropes , you got donald trump leading ffs. do something

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm not saying anyone should do this, but I can find around 40 Republicans that meet in one place and if something where to happen like a gas explosion...

If John Boehner walks into Tortilla Coast, hit the decks.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cabbit posted:

"I didn't ask for this." Paul Ryan, right now, probably.
"'A reference' - A person, probably" is my favorite USPOL meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hooded Reptile posted:

wat?

It sounds like fancy contract talk for 'scents and sounds can count as a trademark when part of a company's identity'. Not sure about scents but in places like Japan and South Korea (they're part of this too right?) jingles are HUGE, I imagine a lot of companies would be pissed if suddenly the cute little notes they strung together to ensure their brand took root in people's memories were used by everyone.

• Locked thread