Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
My maternal grandmother's second husband was a gay prostitute who she married just after he got out of jail for killing a guy.

My aunt writes Harry Potter fanfiction and stalks Norman Reedus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This may not quite fit the mechanics of this thread, because divorce in general isn't exactly a show-stopper. But one of the most awkward moments in my life was when I was with a crew of my cool and not at all nerdy teenage friends at the local Putt Putt golf course, honing our skillz, and we were up at the counter talking to the manager (we were regulars). So the manager picks up the local greensheet paper which just came and says, "Hey let's look in the public notices and see who's getting a divorce."

"Hey Number_6, aren't these your parents?"

Way to keep me in the loop, mom 'n dad. Find out from the loving Putt Putt manager in front of my friends.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Uncle did a stint for dealings with a child but it was all just a setup and he totally didn't do it and his exwife is a liar and stop asking questions mate leave it alone seriously
Also not really a huge one but I found my gramps did a lot of stupid poo poo while drunk on base during WW2 but the records didn't go into much detail so in my head I pretend he was playing lighthearted pranks on the bumbling MPs.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 8, 2015

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
My mom told me today I had a cousin roughly my age who died at age 2 when he got wedged between the cushions and the mattress of a fold out couch and suffocated because my uncle's piece of poo poo ex wife couldn't be bothered to watch her children and left all four of them unattended on the fold out while she partied down the street.

The ex wife also later admitted that the kid, and in fact none of the children were my uncle's. In the obituary. The kid's real father, who previously had no involvement with my cousins, rolled up at the funeral with his family. My uncle isn't a great guy, but I can't imagine what a devastating experience it all must have been.

She also told me that when my cousin, who is the daughter of the above, gave birth to her first kid at 18 the baby was very obviously not her boyfriend's. While my cousin is still in the hospital, having just given birth, my mom gets a phone call from my cousin's friend. The friend tells her "Listen, if she comes home with this baby and the guy sees it isn't his, he's going to beat her to death and probably hurt the kid as well." My cousin was living in Mississippi at the time, and her only other family was in Kansas. So with a tiny window of time to work with, my mom calls a ton of airlines and has to basically beg them to accommodate this girl and her literally hours old infant on a flight back home. She pays for my cousin's ticket and sends her back to Kansas to live with relatives for awhile.

Cousin now has a tattoo of her deceased brother's name on her back. With the absentee father's surname.

More drama than skeletons, but I hadn't heard of the kid until this very morning.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

My great-grandfather was a pilot in WW2, pacific theatre. He had significant standing in the air force, and several levels of security clearance. He would intimate that there were very clandestine things taking place but of course wouldn't tell us what the hell he was talking about. He still "can't talk about it" but who knows, maybe he just wants to feel important.

The skeleton is this: After he got out he joined the Dayton OH police department and was employed during the Dayton race riots of 1963 and 1966. Presumably he cracked skulls and administered wooden shampoos with impunity.

Thats much less a source of pride than his heroics in the war...

you sure he wasn't some nobody PFC that worked on engines because this story and pretty much every other military story from WW2 is a few sentences short of someone claiming to have kicked hitler in his one ball

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My parents were killed by a rabid bigfoot.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Joust posted:

My dad said he had a child with an unkown woman years ago, the only thing he'd tell me about him is that he's dumb as a post.

Wonder where he is now.

dumb as your posts lol

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

criscodisco posted:

When I was in elementary school, we had a week every year called "book week". The rule behind book week was that a few times a day, the principal would come over the loudspeaker and announce that it was reading time. You had to have a book ready to read for 15-ish minutes, and if you didn't have one ready, there was a bookshelf in the classroom for you to grab one out of.

I had a choose your own adventure book all week, but on Friday I forgot it at home. When reading time was announced, I ran over and grabbed a big picture book called "The Body". I opened it up and there was a big 2-page picture of a skeleton, laid out like a centerfold. The kid next to me, Kurt, said "oh gross I hate those things!"

I said "what do you mean? That's what's inside all of us!" He said "no it isn't, they're scary!", so I pointed out the skull, where our nose was and our mouth and eyes. He started screaming at the top of his lungs and wouldn't stop. Our teacher had to take him out into the hall because he was melting down.

He never came back to class again.

this rules

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

yeah man but i'm not giving up my familiy secrets or else they'd be public domain secrets

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

My grandfather was a pretty vocal, italian american grandfather, except when it came to anything involving his time in WWII. I didn't even know that he served until I was asked to get something out of my grandparents hall closet only to find an officer's sword with a swastika on it. Turns out he shot and killed "escaping" german POWs in their custody not too long after the Malmedy massacre.

My great-uncle obtained a huge Nazi flag and brought it home. It was so big that it almost covered the entire wall of the basement. He was pretty proud of it and used to bring his friends down to drink there.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Robo Reagan posted:

same but ours was some kind of bean farm apparently

also 3 out of the 4 brothers who decided to fight for the confederacy died lmao

Ha, yeah. Mine just made farm hands enlist and kept making tobacco to smuggle out to New England to avoid Union and Confederate taxation.

Not to mention we were about 300 miles South of Sherman's March, so it made us that much richer when we were the only ones selling for a few months.

Then when we lost our slaves, we just switched out to Irish immigrant share croppers and made a whole lot more money by signing them up for contracts that pretty much doomed them to starvation, because there were literally boats filled with irish who would take their spot the next year. And the best part was, you didn't have to pay for the Irish, they'd pay YOU

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 8, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

When I was in elementary school, we had a week every year called "book week". The rule behind book week was that a few times a day, the principal would come over the loudspeaker and announce that it was reading time. You had to have a book ready to read for 15-ish minutes, and if you didn't have one ready, there was a bookshelf in the classroom for you to grab one out of.

this is true

criscodisco posted:

I had a choose your own adventure book all week, but on Friday I forgot it at home. When reading time was announced, I ran over and grabbed a big picture book called "The Body". I opened it up and there was a big 2-page picture of a skeleton, laid out like a centerfold. The kid next to me, Kurt, said "oh gross I hate those things!"

this is true

criscodisco posted:

I said "what do you mean? That's what's inside all of us!" He said "no it isn't, they're scary!", so I pointed out the skull, where our nose was and our mouth and eyes. He started screaming at the top of his lungs and wouldn't stop. Our teacher had to take him out into the hall because he was melting down.

this is probably true

criscodisco posted:

He never came back to class again.

this is bullshit

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Two of my great great grandma's kids were her grandkids, and her 3rd daughter was locked in the attic away from the family after she got pregnant a second time at 16 causing my great great grandpa to say he never wanted to see her again!

Her 2 kids turned out fine, but she lost a ton of weight and by the time her parents died and she was 'found' she couldn't really talk anymore.

My mom met her about 5 years ago and started freaking out as quietly as she could. She'd spent every summer in that house as a kid and never knew.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

moonsour posted:

Two of my great great grandma's kids were her grandkids, and her 3rd daughter was locked in the attic away from the family after she got pregnant a second time at 16 causing my great great grandpa to say he never wanted to see her again!

Her 2 kids turned out fine, but she lost a ton of weight and by the time her parents died and she was 'found' she couldn't really talk anymore.

My mom met her about 5 years ago and started freaking out as quietly as she could. She'd spent every summer in that house as a kid and never knew.
:stare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus, that reads like a Southern Gothic or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I can't parse that first sentence at all

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My aunt (my mom's sister) died after a really long and lovely battle with cancer. She and my uncle also had three young children. Almost immediately after she died my uncle told everyone that he was gay and started banging dudes. Nothing against dude banging, but the way it went down caused a kind of split between him/the children and the rest of the family.

I've kind of suspected for a long time that maybe my aunt was actually gay too and she and my uncle just got married because they both wanted kids and that was the acceptable way to do it at the time. I think this mainly because my aunt did kind of give off the stereotypical butch lesbian vibe and from some vague comments my uncle has made about us not understanding the whole story.

It's not something I plan on discussing with anyone though because it all happened a long time ago and maybe I'm completely wrong and a loving idiot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

in all seriousness someone should move this to pyf since that subforum is full of people who love over sharing and it seems like the content is drying up here

NigelsPoppet
Jul 22, 2015
My uncle served in Vietnam as a sapper or some poo poo, and after he died we went through his stuff and I found a bunch of pictures of dead Vietnamese people. One or two had on what looked like a uniform but there were definitely some women in there, he never really liked to talk about it but seemed proud of his role in it

Also my half-brother was literally stolen by mother from her then boyfriends house in Italy three weeks after he was born because they got into an argument it turns out. She took him to the US and didn't speak to the father until my brother was 16, idk why because the guy is rich and seems nice

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Ryoshi posted:

I can't parse that first sentence at all

In the 40s/50s a relative of mine got knocked up twice as a teenager in West Virginia so her dad locked her in the attic (because she's a whore, you see) and raised the babies as his own. My mom spent her childhood summers in the same house and never knew there was someone upstairs.

Mordja posted:

Jesus, that reads like a Southern Gothic or something.

Close enough! West Virginia.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did they feed her fish heads? :psyduck:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

So that made the person in the attic your mother's great-great aunt? The age gaps involved here are confusing me.

content: one of my great uncles sold baby formula in Africa and one of my great-great-great grandfathers got cucked by Franz Liszt

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

She was 12, and I wasn't married to her then.

Edit: more content.

My cousin had a son(jay) with her first husband. Her first husband was a piece of poo poo. They got a divorce.

When Jaywas 13 or so, he raised a big stink about wanting to live with his dad. She held off a while, then gave in.

He started selling drugs with and for his daddy. When he was 22, he went to jail for a 3 year stint. While he was in, he started a relationship with a female (black) 21 year old guard. He's white, so his dad cut him off. When he got released, he moved in with her, and gave his probation officer her address as his address. She lost her job, and got pregnant with twins, and they moved in with her mom and her younger sister, who was 14.

The babies were born months early, and had to stay at an out of state hospital in the NICU. Jay couldn't leave the state due to his probation, and he started a relationship with the 14 year old girl while his girlfriend and her mother were staying with friends near the hospital. Both babies died, a month apart. After the second one died, instead of calling to tell him, they just drove home. His girlfriend and her mother opened the front door to find her 15 year old sister on top of her baby daddy.

The 15 year old sister claimed it was all his fault, but she fell in love with him.

The DA filed charges for 200+ counts of sexual misconduct, but he plead out on one count for a five year sentence.

I've told this to some goons before and posted the mug shots.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 9, 2015

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

MeLKoR posted:

Did they feed her fish heads? :psyduck:

My great-great grandma was known for cooking nonstop in case people stopped by, so she probably ate pretty well.

sinking belle posted:

So that made the person in the attic your mother's great-great aunt? The age gaps involved here are confusing me.

The age gaps confuse the hell out of me too, because my family doesn't say the "greats" ever or use the right word. Example: My grandma's cousins (the 2 bastard babies) are just called my aunt and uncle. Peers are cousins, kids are niece/nephew, and olds are aunt/uncle. I don't think anyone bothers to think past that for the most part.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

kizudarake posted:

She was 12, and I wasn't married to her then.

Edit: more content.

My cousin had a son(jay) with her first husband. Her first husband was a piece of poo poo. They got a divorce.

When Jaywas 13 or so, he raised a big stink about wanting to live with his dad. She held off a while, then gave in.

He started selling drugs with and for his daddy. When he was 22, he went to jail for a 3 year stint. While he was in, he started a relationship with a female (black) 21 year old guard. He's white, so his dad cut him off. When he got released, he moved in with her, and gave his probation officer her address as his address. She lost her job, and got pregnant with twins, and they moved in with her mom and her younger sister, who was 14.

The babies were born months early, and had to stay at an out of state hospital in the NICU. Jay couldn't leave the state due to his probation, and he started a relationship with the 14 year old girl while his girlfriend and her mother were staying with friends near the hospital. Both babies died, a month apart. After the second one died, instead of calling to tell him, they just drove home. His girlfriend and her mother opened the front door to find her 15 year old sister on top of her baby daddy.

The 15 year old sister claimed it was all his fault, but she fell in love with him.

The DA filed charges for 200+ counts of sexual misconduct, but he plead out on one count for a five year sentence.

I've told this to some goons before and posted the mug shots.

Hooooly gently caress that's amazing.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Knyteguy posted:

Grandma's aunt had a kid very young out of wedlock circa world war 1. Her parents adopted the grandbaby and the baby was always told her mom (the aunt) was her sister. Weird situation.

I'm a genealogist, and this situation is actually much, much more common than anyone would think. Not nowadays of course, but before 1970 (because by 1970, people stopped getting their panties in a bunch about single mothers.) After a while, you can even start spotting it on US Census records in families that you otherwise don't know the first thing about. You find a household where the mother is 50+ and her youngest child in the house is 2 or less? Look a little closer at that list of kids, and there's always an unmarried teenage daughter in the house.

My hobby now is "genetic genealogy," which involves using DNA testing for genealogy, so even in cases where the official paper trail was falsified, the DNA is outing family secrets all the time. Even family secrets that are 200 years old.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Uncle Kev has a skeleton in his closet made of metal that is attached to a deep cycle marine battery. Electro-Skelly is the future and you should all embrace him

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

My old man confessed on his deathbed that he used to build horrifying robots used in lab experiments

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The ones that are most striking aren't, for the most park, skeletons because it's "being murdered" and not "murdering". So no one tends to keep it a secret if their family members got murdered, and a fair number of mine did, just statistically it's kind of alarming.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
My great grandma shot my great grandpa once. Afterwards he told the police he accidentally shot himself while cleaning the gun.

The same great grandma would cheat on her husband constantly, often while her kids could see since they lived in basically a shack with a dirt floor lol. Cool!

My grandma thinks that my grandpa was trying to make some extra money by working with the mafia, and that he was eventually murdered. The official story was that he fell while fishing, got bruised up by some rocks, and then drowned. She ended up having to raise 3 sons and 1 daughter by herself while working. No idea how she managed that.

One of those boys ended up moving to new york and becoming a transexual apparently. Then he got aids and killed himself. or herself god I don't know

I've never known my dad because he was in jail when I was born for molesting one or both of my half sisters that I also don't know.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Just the same old American standard: generations of alcoholism, mental disorder, and sexual abuse going all the way back to the days when my ancestors lived in the Appalachian hills.

I went my entire childhood thinking I was just normal kid living in the middle-class suburbs, but it turns out I was a redneck all along.

One day my struggle fighting against the cycle of abuse and violence will end. I will submit to the will of my ancestors and become as them. I will trade my expensive imported coffees for whiskey, my high-end computer for a rifle, my sedan for a dusty pick-up, and lastly, my chic hipster girlfriend for a toothless shrew. Once the transformation is complete I will return to the hills that spawned me and continue their dark work.

And then I will be free.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
somewhat related, anyone have good luck with those ancestry sites? kinda interested in finding out more about my family

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

deep impact on vhs posted:

somewhat related, anyone have good luck with those ancestry sites? kinda interested in finding out more about my family

genealogy is awesome. :getin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a lot of success with 23andme.com. The genetic test was really helpful in at least finding out my genetic make up and thus some ancestry since I didn't know my Bio dad.

P cool.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

I had a lot of success with 23andme.com. The genetic test was really helpful in at least finding out my genetic make up and thus some ancestry since I didn't know my Bio dad.

P cool.

did you find any genetic matches?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Robo Reagan posted:

you sure he wasn't some nobody PFC that worked on engines because this story and pretty much every other military story from WW2 is a few sentences short of someone claiming to have kicked hitler in his one ball

my grandfather was a bombardier in b 17s and gave me a typewritten copy of his bombing runs once, which was cool

he also said regulations expressly forbade bombardiers from sitting in that glass bubble at take off and landing but he did it all the time because it was fun

:rip: him

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChairmanMeow posted:

did you find any genetic matches?

A few dozen 3rd and 4th cousins. A few 2nd. It's really interesting to see the haplogroups. For example I'm of the basque and west African groups and somehow got the best of both worlds genetically. I'd encourage anyone interested in this stuff to do it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

A few dozen 3rd and 4th cousins. A few 2nd. It's really interesting to see the haplogroups. For example I'm of the basque and west African groups and somehow got the best of both worlds genetically. I'd encourage anyone interested in this stuff to do it

23andme only offers ancestry now, not genetic predispositions. i guess 3 days ago they got approval to test for bloome syndrome, but that's it. thanks obama

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I thought it still offered the parts that show where on earth you probably came from, they just had to get rid of the stuff like - you've got a 17% of developing gout.

I got in before that ban though, so I know exactly how likely I am to get gout. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

This one's apparently common in the post slavery days: My grandmother's parents both died suddenly (her mom was headstrong and had a lot of enemies, she may have been poisoned) and 9 out of the 10 kids (3 Girls, 7 Boys) they had went to live with an aunt and great aunt. When the Aunt went to work, apparently the GA would get rid of the boys and have random men pay to rape my Grandmother and Great Aunt. This poo poo went on for years until my Grandma got pregnant. Oh, but her GA wouldn't have that. She decided to abort that thing herself, pumping my poor grandma with whatever vomit-inducing crap she could find. She eventually miscarried after 8 months of that. I don't know the rest, but all I know is that my Grandma had a terrible drinking problem until her late 50s.

Then I found out that my oldest cousin was gay(actually that was obvious), gave his prostitute wife AIDs, that his father was one of the shits that used to rape his mother, and died. The guy actually showed up at his funeral. I learned that all and more about a month ago. At least I know why they really wanted to sell and demolish that house...

• Locked thread