Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What's an acceptable water temp anyway. If I have all my fans set to super slow basically silent, my water temps climb up to around 45C. Only reason I ask is I have an acrylic res and would hate for it to decide to start leaking due to the water getting too warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Way, way higher than that

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Acrylic should be safe 100c+

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've had it previously argued to me in this thread that you want to avoid high temperatures in your loop to avoid thermal expansion of your coolant and any softening of the plastic that might occur.

That was in the context of asking whether you could run two 980 Tis and CPU (~600W) on a single 240mm radiator if I was primarily concerned with running a small case with tight airflow as opposed to just keeping it ice cold. I think people may have been exaggerating the issue somewhat given that the 295X2 runs 500W on a single 120mm radiator, but that was the advice at the time.

Thermal expansion probably shouldn't be an issue if you have some airspace in your reservoir.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Thermal expansion of water is pretty negligible (until 100C :q:). Some shady Internet calculator says 30C to 70C is 1.2% expansion.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
EVGA is apparantly giving people with 980, 980 Ti or Titan Xes in their Hybrid line new shrouds.

I think I saw some people talk about those cards here. This seems like a good place to share news with those people. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-hybrid-faceoff-program,30263.html

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How many heat pipe failures would be required for the heatsink not to be able to transfer heat over a large heatsink? I see five and six heat pipe heatsinks for GTX 980 Tis and they cool down to like 68-72c. Where as my Galax can hit its adjusted 91c thermal limit in any non-limiting game. For instance Blacklight Retribution limits to 60 FPS and only uses about 30% GPU, but witcher 3 obviously uses 100% which causes thermal limiting.

I'm at my wits end with this card. They sorta fixed the fan ramping issues I had with it. I can't return it for a refund, unless my Mastercard gives me extras benefits I don't know about. I've tried repasting it with Arctic ceramic, which didn't help. I need some advice here.

Edited for grammar and spelling.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 8, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to buy an EVGA 980 Ti hybrid watercooler for what feels like forever and can never find one in stock :(.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

EVGA is apparantly giving people with 980, 980 Ti or Titan Xes in their Hybrid line new shrouds.

I think I saw some people talk about those cards here. This seems like a good place to share news with those people. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-hybrid-faceoff-program,30263.html
I have no idea why I would want this and doubt I'll ever even install it, but sure I'll take it.

Thanks for the heads up!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have no idea why I would want this and doubt I'll ever even install it, but sure I'll take it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Its darker and more sleek and sexier so you'll get laid more etc

edit: battlefront runs so well, im very pleased with the graphics and fps. Absolutely SLAMMING my cpu though, first time I've ever heard the fans go 100% outside of IBT

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 9, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Has anyone noticed an issue with a 980ti, latest Nvidia drivers, and a displayport monitor not waking up from sleep (monitor sleep, not computer)? My wife and I have the same PCs and monitor and we both started noticing this issue recently. Driver issue?

[Edit: Okay, hold the boat there was a drive released yesterday let me try that first.]

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone noticed an issue with a 980ti, latest Nvidia drivers, and a displayport monitor not waking up from sleep (monitor sleep, not computer)? My wife and I have the same PCs and monitor and we both started noticing this issue recently. Driver issue?

[Edit: Okay, hold the boat there was a drive released yesterday let me try that first.]
I've noticed this. Also, should the monitors wake up they sometimes only permit a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 rather than 2560x1600. The monitors are Dell U3011.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Same here on the monitor issue. Noticed it immediately when I went from DVI to DP, 980ti here as well. It also hosed with the resolution ... scaling (scrunches whatever is on the screen to 1080p sized boxes with a 1440p monitor)

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Looks like Powercolor's dual 390 card is finally available for the low low price of $800.

What's funny is that their older dual 290X card is still available for $650 which is technically a better part (more stream processors) with less ram (2x4 vs 2x8).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I've been trying to buy an EVGA 980 Ti hybrid watercooler for what feels like forever and can never find one in stock :(.

Get a reference GPU and a Kraken G10 and your own water cooler.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wonder if a Kraken G10 would be worth throwing on my XFX R9 290. If the fan dies on it again I'll probably spring for it, provided the 1080 Ti or whatever Nvidia's next ridiculously good GPU will be is out once I'm done school.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder if a Kraken G10 would be worth throwing on my XFX R9 290. If the fan dies on it again I'll probably spring for it, provided the 1080 Ti or whatever Nvidia's next ridiculously good GPU will be is out once I'm done school.

I think those are very worthwhile for 290's and so on.

Just keep in mind heat "runaway" if you use Furmark, but otherwise it has a huge heatsink effect for the whole board under normal (100% load, gaming). Not to mention a 40-50* drop on the core itself. As a precaution, people have put little copper heatsinks on the VRMs. I did this as well. Necessary? Probably not, but it takes minimal effort compared to what you're already doing and it costs another $10 or so. As you can see cooling the memory is unnecessary under any scenario imo.

Im pretty sure there is another option that includes a heatsink plate for VRMs by Corsair but I've never looked into it.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does it look like part of the board is much hotter with the Kraken in the second set of images?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Why does it look like part of the board is much hotter with the Kraken in the second set of images?

VRMs probably aren't cooled as well due to lack of heatsinks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

poo poo I thought it was labeled. Top set is gaming load, bottom set is Furmark. I guess its known that Furmark specifically pushes VRMs to truly unrealistic levels, but I imagine if you had say a very poorly ventilated case that the same thing could occur. There is a definite tipping point.

However in both cases the actual GPU cores were 40-50* cooler as expected which isn't reflected in those pics. I find the picture interesting just because even without a significant fan or heatsink, the cooling difference is so extreme at the GPU it actually draws the heat away from the VRMs, which one might to expect to be always hotter. But it also serves as a warning that it can run away

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 9, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

VRMs probably aren't cooled as well due to lack of heatsinks.

I can tell you as someone who's actually used a G10 with a 290 that the VRMs will hit 120c+

The fan on G10 is blocked by the pump so it can't really hit both sides of the card. Granted, I didn't add mini heatsinks to the VRMs, those could have helped, but yeah it was pretty nuts.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Krailor posted:

Looks like Powercolor's dual 390 card is finally available for the low low price of $800.

What's funny is that their older dual 290X card is still available for $650 which is technically a better part (more stream processors) with less ram (2x4 vs 2x8).

A pair of 14/16nm die shrunk 290x on 2x4 GB board could be pretty tempting. Heck, a die shrunk 290x (390x) taking over the midrange for the next generation would be nice if it meant they could get boards down to 200 watts or less.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Dang, my two week old EVGA GTX 970 with the ACX 2.0 fans and the newer part number has started to exhibit terrible coil whine, along with some very noisy fans. I'm not talking about jet engine, I'm talking about some sort of oscillating howl when it reaches certain fan speeds. I don't know if it is causing the fan casing to vibrate or what, but I'm just about ready to contact Newegg and switch this thing out for the MSI Twin Frozr. I'll see what EVGA wants to do first, though.

Edit: It took EVGA 4 minutes to offer an advanced RMA. Guess I'll just play RMA tag until I get a decent card. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or, should I just contact Newegg and get the MSI Twin Frozr? Is that thing noisy?

reagan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 9, 2015

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

reagan posted:

Dang, my two week old EVGA GTX 970 with the ACX 2.0 fans and the newer part number has started to exhibit terrible coil whine, along with some very noisy fans. I'm not talking about jet engine, I'm talking about some sort of oscillating howl when it reaches certain fan speeds. I don't know if it is causing the fan casing to vibrate or what, but I'm just about ready to contact Newegg and switch this thing out for the MSI Twin Frozr. I'll see what EVGA wants to do first, though.

Edit: It took EVGA 4 minutes to offer an advanced RMA. Guess I'll just play RMA tag until I get a decent card.

Certain hugely high framerate counts can cause coil whine. My 980 exhibited coil whine when running certain benchmarks but it hasn't made a peep in any games I've played.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

poo poo I thought it was labeled. Top set is gaming load, bottom set is Furmark.

Sorry, I mean that on the bottom image, the Kraken photos show the right side of the boards as hotter than compared to the stock coolers.

Is that because the stock coolers are causing the card to throttle, so the Kraken case is pushing more load through whatever part of the card that is?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
It's because there's no airflow over the VRMs, the Kraken is a AIW water cooling block that only cools the GPU. To install you remove the fan and shroud (which directs airflow over the rest of the card)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I thought it worked like the EVGA kits that kept the stock fan in place. That makes sense, thanks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean that on the bottom image, the Kraken photos show the right side of the boards as hotter than compared to the stock coolers.

Is that because the stock coolers are causing the card to throttle, so the Kraken case is pushing more load through whatever part of the card that is?

Ah yeah that's the interesting part. While there is a fan, its pretty small. It works up to a point, as the pictures show in the realistic load up top, but not below.

edit:

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I thought it worked like the EVGA kits that kept the stock fan in place. That makes sense, thanks.

Yeah its just a small 80mm fan I believe. It'd be interesting to see what difference copper heatsinks would make but I dont think anybody is going to bother testing that.

That is what I did. Took like 5 minutes and they don't cost much (compared to the GPU, G10 bracket, AIO, and all the time you spend doing all that anyway)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ah yeah that's the interesting part. While there is a fan, its pretty small. It works up to a point, as the pictures show in the realistic load up top, but not below.

Yeah, I didn't get why Kraken-furmark would cool that part of the card worse than for stock-furmark, but if there's no cooler over that part for the Kraken then it would explain it!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Certain hugely high framerate counts can cause coil whine. My 980 exhibited coil whine when running certain benchmarks but it hasn't made a peep in any games I've played.

It is doing it ingame, with or without Vsync, and the whine changes intensity when you move the mouse around. That combined with the noisy fan is enough to make me RMA. Or do a return, I am going to have to think about it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The lengths some people will go to in order to avoid water cooling :)

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

reagan posted:

It is doing it ingame, with or without Vsync, and the whine changes intensity when you move the mouse around. That combined with the noisy fan is enough to make me RMA. Or do a return, I am going to have to think about it.

Yup if it's in game you lost the silicon lottery, RMA away good sir, best of luck :)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I have a complicated situation, and come seeking advice.

My immediate reason for upgrading is Fallout 4; even with my 1680x1050 monitor I doubt my old HD 5770 is going to cut it. However, I also want to pick up an Oculus Rift or a Vive (still deciding) come spring, so I figure I might as well upgrade with that in mind now. My original plan was a 980 TI, but now I keep hearing cards using the new manufacturing process are just around the corner (well, a year-ish, and I usually upgrade my GPU every 4-5 years) and will be a major step up, which makes me reluctant to go all out now.

System requirements for a Rift are R9 290/GTX 970; I was alternately considering a 290 as the cheapest option and since I've heard AMD has some advantages for VR, with the plan to upgrade again in 1-2 years. Though what this thread says about heating has me reconsidering a 970 (it isn't that much more expensive), since my PC is in a small and not particularly well ventilated room.

Also, are there usually decent GPU deals for Black Friday? If so I might wait a few weeks to play FO 4, especially considering the launch history of recent Fallout games.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

veedubfreak posted:

more about the wallet lol, since that whole setup costs like $110 and drops temps 40 degrees even if you do have to stick on little copper blocks

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

veedubfreak posted:

Some people just don't think that they should have to change fluids on their computer like their car. I am kind of in this camp. But at the same time, I don't feel the need to watercool my GPUs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 10, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I kid. I went water back when I had nothing better to spend money on. At this point its sunk cost. Just pick up whatever the newest card and block is.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'll be honest, I probably won't watercool a GPU ever again unless there are real gains from it. But I don't regret doing it either, it was fun.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'll be honest, I probably won't watercool a GPU ever again unless there are real gains from it. But I don't regret doing it either, it was fun.

At this point, I still do it simply for how quiet it is. I have my fans on at roughly the minimum voltage to make them spin. When you have 2 cards, the cpu and mb all on the same loop with 4 360mm rads it's almost passive.

The box fan in the hall is louder than the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

veedubfreak posted:

At this point, I still do it simply for how quiet it is. I have my fans on at roughly the minimum voltage to make them spin. When you have 2 cards, the cpu and mb all on the same loop with 4 360mm rads it's almost passive.

The box fan in the hall is louder than the computer.

Should have added, I wont watercool my gpu again unless its part of a loop. Ideally that'd what I like, pretty much for that reason. But as it stands my AIO for the CPU completely overshadows any other noise from even my aircooled card when its really going and im not really worried about that extra 13mhz on the GPU (unless things have changed for maxwell)