Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Could be worse, could be a VM host failure. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

At my last job my title was Help Desk Manager which included running SCCM and creating all of the new software packages, images, updates, etc as well as managing the help desk guys. I also did a lot of MDM work. Again my title was Help Desk Manager. They moved an existing employee from help desk to my old position and renamed it DevOps Manager. WTF? How come I couldnt get the trendy job title, inappropriate as it is.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You know what pisses me off? Early adopters. Corporate IT moves slow, things have to be validated in new environments. Don't come bitching to me because you had to have the latest OSX version and now a corporate app doesn't work. It's been out less than 2 weeks shithead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Could be worse, could be a VM host failure. :unsmigghh:

Oh hooray, Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is also freaking the gently caress and locking up my computer for 5 minutes on reboot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skipdogg posted:

You know what pisses me off? Early adopters. Corporate IT moves slow, things have to be validated in new environments. Don't come bitching to me because you had to have the latest OSX version and now a corporate app doesn't work. It's been out less than 2 weeks shithead.

Used to work at a ruby shop where everyone used Macs.

YOU UPGRADED TO MOUNTAIN LION? WHHHHYYYY?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Used to work at a ruby shop where everyone used Macs.

YOU UPGRADED TO MOUNTAIN LION? WHHHHYYYY?

then there's the opposite problem.

Oh we don't want to move from Server2003 because it still works.

Heck, I am in the middle of moving our entire system from a hodgepodge of dells/HP's running various versions of BSD and Linux to 6 brand new Dells with Baracuda firewalls, two 6TB SANs with dual power supplies, CentOS7, and Astricks13Lts from 1.4.

:feelsgood:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So poo poo has officially gone off the rails. Due to a combination of RIFs and increased work, I somehow have over 80 tickets in my queue. I am supposed to be doing high level, high touch support, but that isn't even possible, so I am just doing what I can. I am getting a bit worried because I am not working 12 hours a day trying to keep up, so stuff is starting to slip. I am spending all my time giving updates and fixing very little.

The funny thing is that no one is exactly freaking out. There has been a little bit of, what's wrong with SVO, but in general, they know that they have picked up more work and are not able to hire. I had a talk with a manager yesterday and his take was "how can we help you using unemployed recent college graduates that will work for cheap?"

I really need to YOTJ out, but there are issues - I work from home and a lot of our life has been adjusted to that. The other problem is that any job I could get for quick would be more of the same, but probably for less money. Long term I am thinking more sales engineer, since the people aspect of the job is what is keeping me sane right now.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Oh we don't want to move from Server2003 because it still works.

Heck, I am in the middle of moving our entire system from a hodgepodge of dells/HP's running various versions of BSD and Linux to 6 brand new Dells with Baracuda firewalls, two 6TB SANs with dual power supplies, CentOS7, and Astricks13Lts from 1.4.

:feelsgood:

We have employees younger than our accounting software.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

The VM that runs our portal has gone belly up. Plus everyone on the server team is out today except me, the new guy. I love Fridays.

Coredump posted:

Oh hooray, Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is also freaking the gently caress and locking up my computer for 5 minutes on reboot.

Hooray the Pharos print server is acting up and I've followed what was put in our wiki to fix it and no love. Did I mention its just me today? Literally the only person above me I can go to for help today is the VP. Director and AVP are both off today as well as the other server admin.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Oh, managers. Why won't you just manage? :shepicide:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh, managers. Why won't you just manage? :shepicide:

Nope, its best to just come up with a convoluted, expensive, and unstable technology solution that will take weeks if not months to deliver so that managers can avoid any difficult decisions or conversations with other employees.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tigntink posted:

poo poo that is pissing me off:
Due to my incredibly lovely and incompetent boss, 2 out of 4 of my coworkers have quit in the last month. I work in an internal help desk (that does everything except deliver hardware) and so my workload is doubling.

Luckily on their way out they've both told our director how incredibly lovely our boss is sooo many something will change. Probably not. Already investigating moving into our server operations group. gently caress.

Update: Director came up to me and asked me if it was "too late " and I told him i'll give it another 3 months here. I think they just don't want everyone to quit at once but I just want a full year on my resume :shrug:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tigntink posted:

Update: Director came up to me and asked me if it was "too late " and I told him i'll give it another 3 months here. I think they just don't want everyone to quit at once but I just want a full year on my resume :shrug:

Just make sure you don't give any kind of a poo poo. Like, you have half the staff; that doesn't mean you need to close twice the number of tickets, that means it's going to take twice as long to close a ticket.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The CEO at my company said he rose through the ranks by quitting his job every year until he hit management.

He's actually a really good CEO, but I thought it was funny he was telling an employee to basically quit in a year. Although he wasn't telling me anything I already didn't know.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Che Delilas posted:

Just make sure you don't give any kind of a poo poo. Like, you have half the staff; that doesn't mean you need to close twice the number of tickets, that means it's going to take twice as long to close a ticket.

The frustrating thing is this is already slow as hell compared to my old job, its actually just the stress of having no documentation, no policies, and no management around that is making me crazy. I'm trying to create documentation myself with what answers i've been given and any new things I run across but the complete lack of policies means i basically can't say no to our users and if it is a weird situation where I know something probably isn't kosher security wise, I still probably have to do it and inform a manager. But no manager is usually around.

I take maybe 20 calls a day here and I was taking 60 at my last job and had to know alot more systems. Here it's just really basic bullshit.

So my answer probably is: I can do twice as much work with out breaking a sweat.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tigntink posted:

So my answer probably is: I can do twice as much work with out breaking a sweat.

That's good then. I just meant don't let yourself burn out because the company can't retain people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ratbert90 posted:

The CEO at my company said he rose through the ranks by quitting his job every year until he hit management.

He's actually a really good CEO, but I thought it was funny he was telling an employee to basically quit in a year. Although he wasn't telling me anything I already didn't know.

If only more people would listen.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do people really not know about event viewer? Other sys admins and DBAs had to ask for my help because I guess 5 of them had been around a monitor for 30 minutes unable to solve a problem, so they called me and I fixed it immediately. IT WRITES THE ERROR DOWN FOR YOU.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
It even logs it in a nicely organized UI front end.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You have a problem. You check any pop-up errors, you check the native logs, you check event viewer. You take whatever you glean from those sources, you throw it into Google, you read a blog post about the issue, and you fix the motherfucker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You have a problem. You check any pop-up errors, you check the native logs, you check event viewer. You take whatever you glean from those sources, you throw it into Google, you read a blog post about the issue, and you fix the motherfucker.

I have a guy who's just befuddled when there's an issue and restarting doesn't fix it.

"Website's down."

Did you, uhh, check the logs?

"I restarted it."

I didn't ask if you restarted it. Why would you just restart it?

"It still doesn't work"

Motherfucker did you check the logs?

"It says error"

Look here. *click* There's an error reading this file. Did you gently caress with permissions or restore a backup?

"Oh yea we did a backup"

Fix the permissions it'll work. Quit restarting poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I literally do this on a daily basis and people at my work have nicknamed me The Wizard. I have a guy who is basically my right-hand man and his skype status is "Wizard's Apprentice".

I'll write up a response that is like.

1. Reproduced <error>
2. Checked <log>
3. Found matching <events>
4. Searched for <events>
5. Found <post>. Try that.

And people are like OH MY GOD HOW DID YOU DO THAT YOU ARE AMAZING.

I used to be baffled. Is this really a skill? Turns out that yes, yes it is.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

My brain still has a hard time coming to terms with the fact that that is, indeed, a skill. Like really? I looked at what I was BEING TOLD WAS THE PROBLEM (the actual problem, from the machine) and going to the almighty Google asking "How to fix <problem>". This is somehow hard.

OMG YOU WROTE DOWN AND SEARCHED A STOP CODE FOR THAT Blue Screen? AND IT TOLD YOU WHAT WAS WRONG? HOW DID YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX IT?????????!?!!!?!!!1one

mewse
May 2, 2006

Being the person who solves problems gives you an appreciation for skilled people who can solve problems in other areas.

I had a finance guy running through the books of a small org I'm involved with and he was throwing around language that I was having trouble grasping -- I still have trouble with accounts receivable vs accounts payable etc etc. I was pretty impressed.

I'm also almost universally in awe of mechanics when they do their thing, because I can use a wrench, I'm not useless, but their skill and knowledge of the diabolical workings of cars is so far beyond anything I possess.

So in my day-to-day I'm parachuted into these situations where there's a photocopier that I have to configure to use a fax line and even without knowing the specific brand I can be pretty sure I'll get it done because I can just google how to get it configured.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I finally managed to hammer into the skulls of our devs that database indexes are A Good Thing To Have, got them to analyze all the long-running queries and set up somewhat proper indexes for them.

Except that now they blame every slight hint of performance degradation on indexes "being out of date". Oh no, a report took 10 seconds to run instead of 5! Check the index something is wrong! We need more indexes! It's one percent fragmented, rebuild, rebuild!

:negative:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

I finally managed to hammer into the skulls of our devs that database indexes are A Good Thing To Have, got them to analyze all the long-running queries and set up somewhat proper indexes for them.

Except that now they blame every slight hint of performance degradation on indexes "being out of date". Oh no, a report took 10 seconds to run instead of 5! Check the index something is wrong! We need more indexes! It's one percent fragmented, rebuild, rebuild!

This is the poo poo I'm talking about with databases.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

mewse posted:

I had a finance guy running through the books of a small org I'm involved with and he was throwing around language that I was having trouble grasping -- I still have trouble with accounts receivable vs accounts payable etc etc. I was pretty impressed.

Basically, accounts receivable is money that is owed to you, accounts payable is money you owe other people. Usually also includes the value of goods or services owed as well.

There may be more nuance to it than I remember from accounting 101, but that's the gist of it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

I literally do this on a daily basis and people at my work have nicknamed me The Wizard. I have a guy who is basically my right-hand man and his skype status is "Wizard's Apprentice".

I'll write up a response that is like.

1. Reproduced <error>
2. Checked <log>
3. Found matching <events>
4. Searched for <events>
5. Found <post>. Try that.

And people are like OH MY GOD HOW DID YOU DO THAT YOU ARE AMAZING.

I used to be baffled. Is this really a skill? Turns out that yes, yes it is.

I'm baffled that people in technology lack troubleshooting proficiency. At my job, I'm responsible for servers, the base OS, and all that sort of stuff. I get called by our developers all the time when they have a problem that is clearly with their software. The reason is that I'm on the only one that can actually figure out what the issue with their code is. 99% of the time it's obviously stated in the logs, and I just point to it.

They actually coded a small helpdesk portal for me that they can enter a ticket into, and when you click "submit to Sir Fat Jony Ives" it just makes a pop-up that says "Have you checked the logs".

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

taiyoko posted:

Basically, accounts receivable is money that is owed to you, accounts payable is money you owe other people. Usually also includes the value of goods or services owed as well.

There may be more nuance to it than I remember from accounting 101, but that's the gist of it.

Herbert Kornfeld's articles can explain the rest.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's 30% of my job right there.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
poo poo not pissing me off: My Irish work permit was approved today! Two more weeks at my current job, then a month off to move and I'll start working for my new company in Limerick at the end of November. :yotj:

Should be a nice gig, too; Linux engineering role that's all project work, no operations (which also means no on-call). Bit less money than I'm making now (I went looking for this job because I wanted to move to Ireland, not for a pay raise), but quite a high salary for the area, and more than enough to live on, keep saving plenty for retirement, and splurge on some travel during my four weeks of vacation plus nine holidays a year. :cheers:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

dennyk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: My Irish work permit was approved today! Two more weeks at my current job, then a month off to move and I'll start working for my new company in Limerick at the end of November. :yotj:

Should be a nice gig, too; Linux engineering role that's all project work, no operations (which also means no on-call). Bit less money than I'm making now (I went looking for this job because I wanted to move to Ireland, not for a pay raise), but quite a high salary for the area, and more than enough to live on, keep saving plenty for retirement, and splurge on some travel during my four weeks of vacation plus nine holidays a year. :cheers:

Ireland owns. This owns. Congrats!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

dennyk posted:

Stab city, nice!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tailored Sauce posted:

Ireland owns. This owns. Congrats!

Just remember, you're not even allowed to look at alcohol on Sunday. At least if you're in store that is.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Collateral Damage posted:

Ah, magic fixes. I work for an ISP helpdesk and I see a hell of a lot of this pop up. The moment a coworker learns a new trick they instantly apply it to everything.

One notable incident: The older modem/router combos the company supplied had unsecured WiFi by default, so customers had to secure them by themselves(or the installation tech would do this). The moment a customer doesn't remember their wireless key, they were supposed to look it up on the modem configuration page(shown in cleartext) using a wired connection or an already-working wireless connection. Later models of the same modem were presecured and had the default wireless key printed on the bottom label.

One coworker ends up talking to a customer with a non-presecured modem. Has them look at the bottom(where no wireless key is printed of course), and ends up trying the other data on the bottom. Turns out the product number worked in this case, customer or tech had decided to use this as wireless key.

Afterwards he asked every single customer to try the product number when they didn't have the wireless key, usually wasting a lot of time for something that had just happened to work for one singular instance.

Ended up telling him to cut that out and just follow the normal procedures.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

skipdogg posted:

ratbert90 posted:

Since the actual IT department has jettisoned the student IT support the moment they no longer got paid for it, the library has been (a bit too) eager to pick up the slack (so they could justify their existence. No really, that's the official line).

Librarians are nice people, they want to help you, they're not cut out for IT support, because they have even less of a spine than the IT department.
This leads to them trying to support both amazingly outdated hardware and software or some bleeding edge stuff that hasn't been officially out because they think that's what IT support means.

I am trying to curtail it, but by Jove, it's hard to get through their skull that trying to support all the weirdness that students bring in is a fools errand.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Preach. We have people in Seattle that always make us look bad because they get in at the in ungodly hour of 8 (!!!) in the morning.

That said, it seems to be a heavy divergence between “people with kids” and “people without kids or empty nesters”. It’s like the people with kids just can’t wait to get in some mornings for some reason.

We have a mix of young people living in the city who like nightlife, avid video gamers who will mix work and play at late hours, and people with families in south bay/east bay who's commute would take forever if we enforced anything earlier than 10.30-11am. Then again I try to get in before 10 just because there's nobody in.

Bob Morales posted:

Tell us more

Basically every time there's some incident (someone's dog has an accident, left alone while the owner's in a meeting and barking all the time, et c), we get an email from HR reminding us that "dogs are only allowed if they're housebroken or well-behaved". Apparently also people have been bad at keeping dogs out of the lunch line.

Also in addition to the dogs, someone brought in their cat (who's bigger than a couple of the dogs here) and another brought in their pet miniature pig.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

luminalflux posted:

and another brought in their pet miniature pig.

That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You get to bring a seal to work every day.