Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I feel like this is sort of the point of the whole slasher genre.
Agreed but on the other hand the pilot is full of 4th wall breaks where the nerd character keeps explaining what the characteristics of the slasher genre are and apparently one of them is that you care about the characters' day-to-day lives which makes them being killed impactful. Except they're all annoying whiny assholes. I'm guessing I'm just not the target audience for the series, it seems made for teenagers so I'll just move on to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Dark Matter on Netflix is scratching my space-opera itch so hard right now.

Dark Matter fills a very specific niche for me, good enough to watch, bad enough that I can still make dinner/do chores at the same time without really feeling like I'm missing anything

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Netflix' wackiest series, Hemlock Grove, is back on Oct 23

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Palpek posted:

Agreed but on the other hand the pilot is full of 4th wall breaks where the nerd character keeps explaining what the characteristics of the slasher genre are and apparently one of them is that you care about the characters' day-to-day lives which makes them being killed impactful. Except they're all annoying whiny assholes. I'm guessing I'm just not the target audience for the series, it seems made for teenagers so I'll just move on to something else.

If a character is saying that you're supposed to care about the day-to-day lives of other characters in a fourth-wall breaking monologue, the writers may very well be invoking "irony." Like, sometimes things will appear not as they are because that's what makes fiction interesting. Scream is still lovely MTV teenage-pandering nonsense, but the writers aren't that unaware of themselves.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kaizoku posted:

If a character is saying that you're supposed to care about the day-to-day lives of other characters in a fourth-wall breaking monologue, the writers may very well be invoking "irony." Like, sometimes things will appear not as they are because that's what makes fiction interesting. Scream is still lovely MTV teenage-pandering nonsense, but the writers aren't that unaware of themselves.
Have you actually watched the pilot? Because it wasn't ironic - it was complete with flashbacks showing the lives of teenagers and listing every relationship you should care about one by one. Yeah, it's that bad.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was supposed to be satire.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's just a teenage drama in the vein of The O.C. or something but with more blood. If there are people thinking it's satire they give it too much credit - 90% of it is your typical teenage angst plot aimed at lower age than the usual slasher genre.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Tremors loving 5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Person Of Interest is batshit good and I wish I hadn't written it off when it first aired. An AI sending Murderhobo Jesus to protect people is basically the best.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Rolo posted:

Tremors loving 5.

After big graboids, small graboids, flying graboids and big graboids again, where does the series go? Swimming graboids?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'll let you know in another hour and fifteen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kazil posted:

After big graboids, small graboids, flying graboids and big graboids again, where does the series go? Swimming graboids?

Tax evasion graboids.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Coulda swore I saw this one but it came out in 2015 so here goes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kazil posted:

I hope it is shoveoids.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

I hope it is shoveoids.

Are there stairs involved?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

Are there stairs involved?
The movie is set in South Africa, there are precious few stairs there.

Watched it last night and it was pretty far out there, with a lot of gratuitous dumb stuff thrown in. It does include a manual on the graboid reproductive cycle, and a lot of jokes about dutch/afrikaaner names. I miss Reba McIntyre though, she made Gummer a lot more interesting.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I would characterize it as 'pretty good'. The dialogue is really bad in that Joss Whedon 'everything has to be a quip' way, which gets old really fast, but the new monster designs for the African graboids are really cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thanks to the person who recommended In The Loop, it's a really grand farewell to The Thick of IT when you're finished with the series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
New on Netflix is Infini, a scifi/horror about soldiers dispatched to a distant mining colony to figure out what happened to the miners. Yeah it probably sounds familiar but that's where the similarities with Alien end and similarities with another scifi classic began. It was good enough for me to put my phone down and pay attention. So its a mash up of better movies but a fairly well done mash up.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Winter on Fire, a Netflix documentary about the 2014 Ukrainian revolution, is up now.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Been on a WW1 kick lately, since it's been 100 years. .Netflix has 14 Diaries Of The Great War, an 8 episode series of not only the troops, but people at home too. They also have The Wipers Times, about a newsletter some troops made around Ypres. And Our War, a 3 episode series about different parts of the war.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

What does it symbolize in Tremors 5 when people are constantly urinating and defecating and drinking urine and getting urinated on?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

What does it symbolize in Tremors 5 when people are constantly urinating and defecating and drinking urine and getting urinated on?

Piss Graboids?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Retarded Pimp posted:

Been on a WW1 kick lately, since it's been 100 years. .Netflix has 14 Diaries Of The Great War, an 8 episode series of not only the troops, but people at home too. They also have The Wipers Times, about a newsletter some troops made around Ypres. And Our War, a 3 episode series about different parts of the war.

Sorry for being off topic, but have you seen this?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

New on Netflix is Infini, a scifi/horror about soldiers dispatched to a distant mining colony to figure out what happened to the miners. Yeah it probably sounds familiar but that's where the similarities with Alien end and similarities with another scifi classic began. It was good enough for me to put my phone down and pay attention. So its a mash up of better movies but a fairly well done mash up.

I didn't care for the cheeseball ending, but the film overall is solid. It's definitely worth watching if you're into scifi.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Haerc posted:

Sorry for being off topic, but have you seen this?

"fat Rodzianko has sent me some nonsense" I love that title.
A few times, if fact.
If anyone else has any interest in that subject, this is the go-to definitive documentary on it.
Caution- it's 26 episodes

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Nah, this isn't the documentary, this is a youtube show following the war week by week since the 100th anniversary. It's currently on the 63th week of the war.

There are a ton of supplementary videos there too, ex. WHO DID WHAT IN WW1? which talks about specific people, talks on specific technology and tactics, things like that.

There is also a channel called C&Rsenal that showcases small arms used during the war, test fires them and talks about their development.

Edit: Here is the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzseue8qvw

Haerc has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That looks pretty good, thanks Haerc!:thumbsup:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm not a big history/WWII person and I don't know what the streaming options are but The Ghost Army is pretty rad. It's really cool to see a documentary about WWII that is about avoiding fighting and honors artists and artisans, many of which were homosexual, and get to see the war effort through the art they made while on the front lines.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't know when it went up but Seasons 6 & 7 of The Murdoch Mysteries are on Netflix. I think I'm the only goon watching this but I'll get in my annual plug -- if you ever wanted to see a steam punk Sherlock Holmes-esqe detective series with guests like Buffalo Bill Cody, Houdini, Tesla, and even Arthur Conan Doyle, this is it.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

wormil posted:

It's pretty interesting, there are some weird parts where it seems like they cut too much and something is said doesn't make any sense.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Haerc posted:

It's pretty interesting, there are some weird parts where it seems like they cut too much and something is said doesn't make any sense.

I know exactly what you mean and turned on subtitles because some dialogue was confusing, it didn't help much.

I watched Babadook which everyone was chatting about some time ago. It is competently well done psychological thriller/horror and scared the bejeebus out of my older teen daughter but she liked it. Also I am a broken man because I giggled like a schoolgirl at all the parts that scared her the most. I've been watching horror movies since I was about 6.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
It's only available as a DVD right now, but periodically cycles back into streaming, Pandorum has a similar hard sci-fi feel and themes. Similarly Cargo, which is a Swiss German movie (in English) on Amazon right now, about life in space with a action-horror flavour.

Also not a movie but anyone who enjoyed Infini would enjoy the Stasis game (it's the reason I was tempted into watching it to begin with).

For anyone in the UK who wants more spooky poo poo for Haloween, Area 51 is up on Netflix right now. It's by the Paranormal Activity guy and is suprisingly good. I absolutely hate aliens and all the ufo crap, but still enjoyed it despite myself. It has a similar flavour to Banshee Chapter (also worth watching) which is about MK-ULTRA and Hunter S Thompson types.

Another slightly offbeat one is The Objective, about special forces in Afghanistan. It's absolutely not a SJW/OORAH type thing and has a nice twist on the horror genre.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
I recommend everyone watch the 8 seasons of my personal bibliography called Peep Show starring David Mitchell, available on Netflix.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Aziz Ansari's new Netflix series, Master of None, is pretty great so far.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crow Jane posted:

Agreed.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I have no clue how long it's been on Netflix, but MacGyver is a pretty great campy show when it's not being too afternoon special about the moral of the story.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If you're looking for a surprisingly good horror flick, Last Shift just popped up on my recommended list. Pretty good for such a tired premise (Police/security guard is alone for the night, spoooky things happen)!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crow Jane posted:

Glad to hear it.
He's one of those guys I tend to avoid but usually love what he's in. Parks and Rec being the obvious example.

That's still of Netflix, I'm gonna watch it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Kung fury was a pretty good 30 minutes.