Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

P.d0t posted:

There's SA's own Princes of the Apocalypse PbP game, which, yes, the introductory stuff is pretty much bullshit.
Also, game's currently in the process of falling apart at the seams.

chaos rhames posted:

Who knew that jacking off an imp for poison cum would have such drastic consequences.

Well now I have to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Not joking about the imp cum.

quote:

- No poison. Poison is out. No more imp cum. We're doing too much offensive damage as it stands, and Poison is poised to make things even more insane. Stop jerking off poison imps! Darys hasn't even hit anything yet and it's all dying!

Move over Scrunts.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In my defense, the imp is immune to both poison (such that his chronic masturbation won't poison him), and immune to fire damage (such that the constant friction won't burn him). He wants it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Waador posted:

In my defense, the imp is immune to both poison (such that his chronic masturbation won't poison him), and immune to fire damage (such that the constant friction won't burn him). He wants it.

once again...

wow....

just... wow....

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
C'mon, don't knock it 'til you tried it. Jacking off imps and venomous ejaculate are very common kinks.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Waador posted:

:vince:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I am both relieved and disturbed that I no longer have the most disturbing game in the thread.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Sure when a horse breeder does it its sound husbandry, but when a dnd character does it everyone has a tizzy!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why didn't they just use its blood?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
No need, he just said the imp was immune to friction.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Why didn't they just use its blood?

the cum is more poisonous, check the monster manual.

This is my problem with D&D: the game's too clunky to sort out effective responses to stuff like poisoning people with imp cum. There's a lot of responsibility on the DM to figure out the strength of imp cum and if they get it wrong, the imp cum can ruin the experience. But at the same time, the rule's aren't organised enough to make figuring out what imp cum will do an easy job. imp cum

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

chaos rhames posted:

the cum is more poisonous, check the monster manual.

This is my problem with D&D: the game's too clunky to sort out effective responses to stuff like poisoning people with imp cum. There's a lot of responsibility on the DM to figure out the strength of imp cum and if they get it wrong, the imp cum can ruin the experience. But at the same time, the rule's aren't organised enough to make figuring out what imp cum will do an easy job. imp cum

D&D 4th edition actually had rules that would make it quite easy to arbitrate the amount of damage imp cum would do, either as a level appropriate damage expression or as a poison :colbert:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just make it a DC whatever poison that radiates evil.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D&D NEXT: impcum 2 well zone

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

chaos rhames posted:

There's a lot of responsibility on the DM to figure out the strength of imp cum

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Is that the game where someone was applying the bonus damage from Hex to Magic Missile (which doesn't work RAW)? When I saw that, I remember thinking "oh, well that guy's never going to be in danger again."

If you want an excuse to avoid poison shenanigans, technically the DMG (p258) states that you can only attempt to harvest poison from creatures that are dead or incapacitated, so the imp is definitely not milking itself. That still doesn't fix the fact that poison lets you pay money/time to overwhelmingly win fights, unless your DM can improvise to prevent it (everyone has Protection From Poison up, whoops).

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Is that the game where someone was applying the bonus damage from Hex to Magic Missile (which doesn't work RAW)? When I saw that, I remember thinking "oh, well that guy's never going to be in danger again."

If you want an excuse to avoid poison shenanigans, technically the DMG (p258) states that you can only attempt to harvest poison from creatures that are dead or incapacitated, so the imp is definitely not milking itself. That still doesn't fix the fact that poison lets you pay money/time to overwhelmingly win fights, unless your DM can improvise to prevent it (everyone has Protection From Poison up, whoops).

Auto-erotic impsphyxiation, just put a jar under it's stinger and it chokes itself out until incapacitated. Problem solved. :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LGD posted:

D&D 4th edition actually had rules that would make it quite easy to arbitrate the amount of damage imp cum would do, either as a level appropriate damage expression or as a poison :colbert:

Yeah but you've gotta print out a little card with Imp Cum on it, so people can remember and keep track of imp cum usage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ha ha ha. I thought it was done.

quote:

Redacted

Also Vanguard Warden I am fairly sure Mearls said Hex works with Magic Missile. So yeah. Admittedly that is Mearls and I don't know about Crawford.

EDIT: Removed the quotes, suffice to say there was more talk about some crazy ideas that involved breaking into people's homes, using the ever changing familiar as a sprite to detect alignment, then slit throats, then burn the town to the ground so everyone would have to come live in the new city they plan on building.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Why do you still let Dawnfiend near classes with spell lists?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kurieg posted:

Well, he was a rogue at level 1 :v: and as you know, every published adventure begins at level 1. TRADITION!

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I am fairly sure Mearls said Hex works with Magic Missile. So yeah. Admittedly that is Mearls and I don't know about Crawford.

He says here that Hex requires an attack, but either way he's not an outstanding source. Regarding Hex, PHB251 says "Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack." PHB194 says "If there’s ever any question whether something you’re doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you’re making an attack roll, you’re making an attack." You can rule it any way you want because it's ~up to the DM~ and all that, but fights are going to be a joke if you slap a flat damage boost on something that auto-hits multiple times.

Ryuujin posted:

Redacted

See, printed adventures don't account for situations like those, because the solution is "your shenanigans drew the attention of a god and now you're hosed".

EDIT: I actually really enjoy the crazy poo poo that spellcasters can get up to, I just wish those options weren't limited to spellcasters and (to a much lesser extent) rogues.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 10, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Magic Missile auto hits and doesn't use an attack roll or even a saving throw. So it's not an attack I guess.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well Magic Missile does say:

quote:

You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range.

I can try and go looking for the ruling but I know it was said at some point that Magic Missile and Hex work together.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Waador posted:

GrizzlyCow posted:

C'mon, don't knock it 'til you tried it. Jacking off imps and venomous ejaculate are very common kinks.
Huh. Didn't realize Trad Games PbP allowed for erotic role-play. :parrot:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ryuujin posted:

Well Magic Missile does say:

I can try and go looking for the ruling but I know it was said at some point that Magic Missile and Hex work together.

Another success for natural language!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

In fairness, much the same would be happening without spells, it would just become more convoluted (which may or may not be better).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Waador posted:

In fairness, much the same would be happening without spells, it would just become more convoluted (which may or may not be better).

All it takes is feats, and a Fighter will never lose in combat, I have been assured!

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The fighter can't just hire people to fight for him, that's crazy. It'd throw off the encounter math/break the action economy/not make any sense.

The wizard summoning an army of skeletons? Well, that's a class feature.

Ryuujin posted:

Well Magic Missile does say "hit".

Even if that weren't just a case of terrible word choice, the book makes it very clear (in a very small passage that everyone skips over) that something is not considered an attack unless you make an attack roll.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 10, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

P.d0t posted:

All it takes is feats, and a Fighter will never lose in combat, I have been assured!
As was more or less laid out in Hoard, mounted combatant and 100', 200' or 300' movement per round (with no attacks of opportunity if relevant) makes combat pretty simple.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

The fighter can't just hire people to fight for him, that's crazy.

Right! Traditionally they just show up for free!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I dunno if I can even blame 5e at this point having read all that.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

In a good system, a power-gamer would get to have fun without ruining things for everybody else. :colbert:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

In a good system, a power-gamer would get to have fun without ruining things for everybody else. :colbert:

I legit can't think of a single system where powergaming is possible where it doesn't have serious potential to cause problems so

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Power gaming is always possible, the problem comes when designers think they can avoid the problem by closing their eyes tightly and yelling until it goes away.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Really Pants posted:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Really Pants posted:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
rip Imp C

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A scrying device held by an august and respected mage recently recorded the imp and it's work habits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYZWH2AerA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I'm finally going to be playing in a 5E campaign (runing OotA) for the first time and it's time for me to get even with the DM for all the insane shenanigans he's pulled on me over the years, playing in campaigns I've run. I keep seeing references in this thread about Necromancers with legions of skeletons, but reading through the PHB, it looks like the Necromancy school is kind of thin beyond Animate Dead and Create Undead, and I'm wondering if I might be better off making another sort of rear end in a top hat Wizard. Where can I find some reasonably good guides on how to properly optimize this class in this edition? Is it really just as simple as sacrificing all spell utility past 5th level and hoarding hordes of horrors?