Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, putting aside the fact Jason is far more restrained and less homicidal than his pre Flashpoint version you have stuff like Bruce and Tim admitting that sometimes is necessary to have someone willing to make the "hard choices" while Dick has recently teamed up with Midnighter, Jason is a saint compared with him.

Plus you have the fact that Bruce is/was more lenient on the use of lethal force in the N52. Going so far to admit that if he didn't killed the Joker was more for superstition than morality.

Yeah but this happens all the time. Most recently just because Dick felt like a team up. And the "hard choices" thing is utter bullshit. They literally ask Jason to not kill people when they're being pals and he never loving does, so clearly he's capable of it when he feels like it.

Like seriously, this isn't "forced to team up" poo poo. This has happened so frequently that it's just a common occurrence. Would you hang out with your bud or step brother if his hobby when you're not around is killing people and you hate that poo poo? Because that's what seems to be going on with Tim and Dick.

I mean I know the actual answer is that A: Jason is a ramshackle character and it's easier for writers to just ignore whatever bullshit is up with him and B: people just love sticking the Batfamily together in every situation they can but it's still stupid that everyone's like "Hello murderous brother, want to go do cool adventure stuff with me? Just don't kill anyone where I can see you doing it! Also we forgive you for loving up Damian!" edit: though I guess Battle for the Cowl might not have happened? Or maybe it did? New 52 continuity, I don't know.

This isn't even specifically Jason criticism, per se. I think it's stupid that Dick, Babs and Tim aren't like "Yo dude we gotta talk, why are you killing people? Stop killing people so much. You clearly don't mind not killing people when we're there" I mean even if he blows them off because he's deadset on his murderboner that's atleast proper characterization, not this weird poo poo where everyone glosses over Jason's unfortunate murder hobby for a fun family picnic.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Preview for Lois and Clark.

Looks like they're gonna have at least some indulgences of meta commentary.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Astro Nut posted:

Preview for Lois and Clark.

Looks like they're gonna have at least some indulgences of meta commentary.

Okay, that was pretty drat good.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah but this happens all the time. Most recently just because Dick felt like a team up. And the "hard choices" thing is utter bullshit. They literally ask Jason to not kill people when they're being pals and he never loving does, so clearly he's capable of it when he feels like it.

Like seriously, this isn't "forced to team up" poo poo. This has happened so frequently that it's just a common occurrence. Would you hang out with your bud or step brother if his hobby when you're not around is killing people and you hate that poo poo? Because that's what seems to be going on with Tim and Dick.

I mean I know the actual answer is that A: Jason is a ramshackle character and it's easier for writers to just ignore whatever bullshit is up with him and B: people just love sticking the Batfamily together in every situation they can but it's still stupid that everyone's like "Hello murderous brother, want to go do cool adventure stuff with me? Just don't kill anyone where I can see you doing it! Also we forgive you for loving up Damian!" edit: though I guess Battle for the Cowl might not have happened? Or maybe it did? New 52 continuity, I don't know.

This isn't even specifically Jason criticism, per se. I think it's stupid that Dick, Babs and Tim aren't like "Yo dude we gotta talk, why are you killing people? Stop killing people so much. You clearly don't mind not killing people when we're there" I mean even if he blows them off because he's deadset on his murderboner that's atleast proper characterization, not this weird poo poo where everyone glosses over Jason's unfortunate murder hobby for a fun family picnic.

I'd say that is the important part, so far on the N52 no one on the batfamily has been shown to downright despise murder. They try to avoid it when they can but they have been shown to accept as a necessity at times. Dick killed the decoy Mr Minos, Barbara was bent on killing the Joker during DOTF, Tim murdered Fistpoint during the Culling and so on.

And no, Battle for the Cowl didn't happened on the N52. It has been implied that Jason only fought the batfamily during the N52 equivalent of Under the Red Hood.

TwoPair posted:

And then you said Batman Beyond was a good book and I take it all back you're the worrrst.

As I said, I don't have any connection to neither Terry McGinnis or the pre Flashpoint version of Tim. So I enjoyed Tim's thoughts about using the Batman armor and him turning the tables on Brother Eye. :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd say that is the important part, so far on the N52 no one on the batfamily has been shown to downright despise murder. They try to avoid it when they can but they have been shown to accept as a necessity at times. Dick killed the decoy Mr Minos, Barbara was bent on killing the Joker during DOTF, Tim murdered Fistpoint during the Culling and so on.

And no, Battle for the Cowl didn't happened on the N52. It has been implied that Jason only fought the batfamily during the N52 equivalent of Under the Red Hood.

Yeah and this is all stupid and largely out of character. Also Tim did not kill anyone during that terrible terrible storyline. (Fistpoint is a terrible name as well)

If Jason only fought them in under the red hood that is stupid as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah and this is all stupid and largely out of character. Also Tim did not kill anyone during that terrible terrible storyline. (Fistpoint is a terrible name as well)

If Jason only fought them in under the red hood that is stupid as well.

How can be out of character if that's how they've been written through all the N52?

Convergence made crystal clear this aren't the same characters they were pre-flashpoint.

And you're right with Fistpoint, I was misremembering the events. Still, Tim got pretty close to killing him and during DOTF he admitted it was good Jason was around doing what they "shouldn't... won't do"

I think Jason only figthing them once is a positive change for his character, the whole villian schtick had gotten stagnant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How can be out of character if that's how they've been written through all the N52?

Convergence made crystal clear this aren't the same characters they were pre-flashpoint.

And you're right with Fistpoint, I was misremembering the events. Still, Tim got pretty close to killing him and during DOTF he admitted it was good Jason was around doing what they "shouldn't... won't do"

I think Jason only figthing them once is a positive change for his character, the whole villian schtick had gotten stagnant.

Nah it's stupid and terrible writing. The only reason they don't kick his rear end is because he used to be a Robin.

If some other vigilante came around murdering people in gotham, the Bat Family would kick his rear end. Jason is an exception because of terrible writing and the fact that he was a Robin.

Also Tim saying that to Jason is the now the worst thing I know about that storyarc. His villain schtick has not gotten stangnant, he is just almost never used well as a villain. He is not used well as an Anit hero ether I might as well add. As well Jason fighting them once then never again is stupid as hell. Last I checked the end of that arc did not end with him leaving on great terms, and it means there is no development towards making him a better person.

Take a look at the steps. Evil Crime Lord that attacks Batman, deals drugs and murders people, to solitary villain that attacks Batfamily members, to Vigilante that still hates the Batfamily, to murderous vigilante that is somewhat ok with the Bat Family. To Bat Family Ally that is still murderous on his own time (What a load).

Now if the first story arc is the only time they encountered each other as enemies. Evil Crime Lord that attacks Batman, deals drugs and murders people, to Bat Family Ally that is still murderous on his own time. That devolpment makes no sense. Guys like TIm and Dick should not trust him even slightly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dick killed the decoy Mr Minos,

Just learned this is bull. Helena did this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Still, Tim got pretty close to killing him and during DOTF he admitted it was good Jason was around doing what they "shouldn't... won't do"
Bleh, that is terrible. I don't know who wrote that and even if it was Snyder, that is not Tim.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 9, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Okay, that was pretty drat good.

This is some stone cold bullshit, son. Like as other people have pointed out pretty much none of those killings actually happened but you don't have to explicitly show the Batfamily 'despising murder' because they are the Goddamn Batfamily and they do not like it when people die, and they like it even less when they cause people to die.

Seriously? You think a half-hearted reboot is enough to just reset the entire Batman ethos that Dick and Tim and Barbara and everybody but fuckin' Jason Todd have always lived by? People are upset that rather than Jason learning to live by the code that has defined their family since competent writers got ahold of the character, our favorite characters are either turning a blind eye or even coming to accept Jason straight up capping people and that is lovely writing.

I think it's the fact that he kills people with guns that makes me so angry. Like, that's doubling down on poo poo You Don't Do If You're Batman's Pal but he still gets to be Batman's pal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall Jason shooting Gordon recently. Now it did not do anything because he is wearing a Mecha Batsuit. But he still shot at Gordon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd be totally okay with anyone in the rogues gallery taking another crowbar to Jason's dome.

Terrible character that got utilized well once in Red Hood and has been just a flaming turd in everything else.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked Jason as Wingman. Bruce comes back from the end of time, and is like "You put those guns away, and you can be part of Batman Incorporated." , and Jason goes "For reals? I'll stop acting like an angsty teenager."

"Yeah yeah. Put on this helmet. Don't tell anyone who you are."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Norns posted:

I'd be totally okay with anyone in the rogues gallery taking another crowbar to Jason's dome.

Terrible character that got utilized well once in Red Hood and has been just a flaming turd in everything else.

When Black Mask stabbed him, it should have been him rather then a decoy.

Speaking of Black Mask he has been rather menacing and cool in Catwoman as of late. Glad they diched the mind control stuff that made no sense with his character. Now they just need to remember that he is Hush 1.0

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh, we're back. Neat.

MonsterEnvy posted:

If some other vigilante came around murdering people in gotham, the Bat Family would kick his rear end. Jason is an exception because of terrible writing and the fact that he was a Robin.

Also Tim saying that to Jason is the now the worst thing I know about that storyarc. His villain schtick has not gotten stangnant, he is just almost never used well as a villain. He is not used well as an Anit hero ether I might as well add. As well Jason fighting them once then never again is stupid as hell. Last I checked the end of that arc did not end with him leaving on great terms, and it means there is no development towards making him a better person.

Take a look at the steps. Evil Crime Lord that attacks Batman, deals drugs and murders people, to solitary villain that attacks Batfamily members, to Vigilante that still hates the Batfamily, to murderous vigilante that is somewhat ok with the Bat Family. To Bat Family Ally that is still murderous on his own time (What a load).

Now if the first story arc is the only time they encountered each other as enemies. Evil Crime Lord that attacks Batman, deals drugs and murders people, to Bat Family Ally that is still murderous on his own time. That devolpment makes no sense. Guys like TIm and Dick should not trust him even slightly.

Keep in mind that Jason doesn't usually hags around on Gotham and when he does is because someone on the batfamily asked him to be there. The dynamic with every character is also very different, Dick and him aren't on the best terms but they respect each other; Tim has a stronger bond with Jason than he does with any other memeber on the batfamily. Barbara actually hated him before Eternal introduced the whole romance bullshit. However, Bruce does keep tabs on Jason and not only he vouches for him before the League, he also has come to tolerate his actions since it brings results.

Jason is also more restrained on his own book (and where all his development comes from) coming to a point where he will try to capture the perps alive if possible, so him reaching a compromise when working with the batfamily is perfectly reasonable. If anything, is more believable than Midnighter doing it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall Jason shooting Gordon recently. Now it did not do anything because he is wearing a Mecha Batsuit. But he still shot at Gordon.

Jason doesn't knows Gordon is inside the armor, he just saw a poser trying to be Batman

Die Laughing posted:

I liked Jason as Wingman. Bruce comes back from the end of time, and is like "You put those guns away, and you can be part of Batman Incorporated." , and Jason goes "For reals? I'll stop acting like an angsty teenager."

"Yeah yeah. Put on this helmet. Don't tell anyone who you are."

This actually bothers me. Jason agreeing to work with Bruce on his terms makes no sense considering the place where Morrison himself left Jason at the end of Revenge of the Red Hood. Pre N52 Jason was a full blown psycho unable to work in a team with anyone.

Anyways, I just saw the actual cover for Titans' Hunt and to my delight they fixed Dick's Robin costume and even tweaked Roy's a little so is more in line with his current suit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nope, still not right. Don't see Kid Flash there at all.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

redbackground posted:

Bleh, that is terrible. I don't know who wrote that and even if it was Snyder, that is not Tim.

Scott Lobdell obviously.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jason was crazy in Batman and Robin because Bruce was dead. He wouldn't get away with the red right hand poo poo with Batdad around.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Nope, still not right. Don't see Kid Flash there at all.

Maybe he's The Forgotten Titan.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I don't want to read Forever Evil but I love the Lex in the League concept. Can I just skip FE, and if so, what issue do I start with to read some League Lex?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Swillkitsch posted:

I don't want to read Forever Evil but I love the Lex in the League concept. Can I just skip FE, and if so, what issue do I start with to read some League Lex?
Justice League #30-39 (collected in the Injustice League TPB). Good stuff. The following arc (Darkseid War, still in progress), features Lex as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Jason was crazy in Batman and Robin because Bruce was dead. He wouldn't get away with the red right hand poo poo with Batdad around.

That's what it makes it weird. Jason pulled a LOT of crazy poo poo while Bruce wasn't around to make believable he would work willingly with Jason.

By the way, Jason getting all sassy with Jim is hilarious

I hope they learn of his identity by the issue's end. :haw:

Swillkitsch posted:

Dario the Wop posted:

Justice League #30-39 (collected in the Injustice League TPB). Good stuff. The following arc (Darkseid War, still in progress), features Lex as well.

Yeah, skip FE. It has some good moments but in general was a waste of time.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Maybe he's The Forgotten Titan.

I'd be very amused and depressed if they managed to kill Wally AGAIN as part of his origin. But I sincerely doubt it's him just because we can't have nice things when it comes to that character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man :cry:

https://www.facebook.com/denismedri/posts/10206759588641698

quote:

Some preview pages from Red Hood/Arsenal #5 coming in the next days. With Red Hood / Arsenal #6 I'll end my collaboration on the series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boo-hoo, the lovely artist is off the book.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rhyno posted:

Boo-hoo, the lovely artist is off the book.

I'm sure his replacement is going to be great. DT is like the only person even buying that book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Norns posted:

I'm sure his replacement is going to be great. DT is like the only person even buying that book.

His replacement could be Andrew Dobson or Tim Buckley and DT would love him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Twice, don't forget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Twice, don't forget.

Oh come on. DT buys 1 to read, 1 to keep bagged & boarded, 1 in digital and the eventual trade when it comes out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Oh come on. DT buys 1 to read, 1 to keep bagged & boarded, 1 in digital and the eventual trade when it comes out.
Hey, one day these issues are going to be worth the cover price!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Possibly as much as $1 more!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

With Doomed ending, I think is very likely Javier Fernandez will be his replacement

He's not a bad artist but man, I really like Medri's style :smith:

redbackground posted:

I'm not selling them. I just like to have stuff on pristine condition.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's what it makes it weird. Jason pulled a LOT of crazy poo poo while Bruce wasn't around to make believable he would work willingly with Jason.

By the way, Jason getting all sassy with Jim is hilarious

I hope they learn of his identity by the issue's end. :haw:

Why is Gordon not arresting the criminals in front of him now that the other threat is not taken care of. Seriously he should not stand around talking with them. The sass comment is stupid as hell. He should not be threatening them for sassing them. He should be kicking their asses.

Also I still hate Roy being Jason's buddy.

Edit: I just realized my problem with Jason. Whenever he is around he makes other characters act out of character.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 9, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's cool how roughly half of the discussion here is about what's probably the least interesting comic DC puts out.
Very cool.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I like Batgirl, Doctor Fate, and The Omega Men enough to shell out $$$ at my local store, but there are so many other series I tend to scoop up during sales (physical or digital) - Grayson, Prez, Martian Manhunter, Doctor Fate, Cyborg, We Are Robin, Justice League, Eternal... I'm even okay with Sinestro and Green Lantern (haven't read Lost Army though), DC's been on a pretty strong roll for me lately. And then the digital side ain't too shabby between Batman 66, Injustice (which has seen better days), and Bombshells. Both digital-first Wonder Woman series, Sensation Comics and '77, were interesting for a few issues but I lost interest.

But for lots of these and especially DC's other series, I trade-wait through my library or wait for a friend to pick them up.

Am I liking their output because they've got good material, or have my tastes just been tweaked through overexposure to capes through the years? Have any of you gone numb yet?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Comics on the average have been pretty good lately.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I liked Batman & Robin Eternal. Cassandra Cain and Harper Row being around are both pretty good.

Still not a fan of Batman Beyond. Tim Drake is a Batman in a world that is built around a totally different Batman and is wearing the Batbunny suit of another totally different Batman. Like, if you don't want to do Batman Beyond, don't do Batman Beyond? :shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Am I liking their output because they've got good material, or have my tastes just been tweaked through overexposure to capes through the years?
Probably both?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Still not a fan of Batman Beyond. Tim Drake is a Batman in a world that is built around a totally different Batman and is wearing the Batbunny suit of another totally different Batman. Like, if you don't want to do Batman Beyond, don't do Batman Beyond? :shrug:

He's not even the real Tim. He's just a temporal copy from an aborted timeline.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That's not sassy, Jason didn't even do the finger snap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

He's not even the real Tim. He's just a temporal copy from an aborted timeline.

Wow, I was not even aware of that. I thought this was just the new DC thing of "continuity's whatever, Superman's over there with Lois, over there with Wonder Woman, and chilling with Batman somewhere else all at the same time".

Man, that just makes Batman Beyond so much weirder. I'm all for Tim Drake Batman/some similar hero in his own right. Just do that. Don't show me a time-travel nonsense version of Tim doing his best Terry impression in a post-apocalyptic version of the Batman Beyond world.

• Locked thread