Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyPeru
Feb 20, 2015
Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan. Book never seems to get love but neither does Market Forces and I loved that poo poo. 150 pages in and it seems to be more of the same. Fine by me, Morgan got dat panache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Began -
Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Post Office - Charles Bukowski
The Gunslinger - Steven King

Bought -
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Women - Charles Bukowski

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Just started Too Much to Dream by Peter Bebergal

Also checked out are The Strange Library by Murakami and Magnificent Vibration by Rick Springfield

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Okay, I dnfed The Furnace, just wasn't in the mood I guess, but I restarted Death Claims by Joseph Hansen because apparently I'm in the mood for a hard-bitten gay detective. It's good.

e. I'm listening to Hawk by Steven Brust at the same time because I'm awesome like that. It works rather well imo :cheers:

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 31, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

platedlizard posted:

Okay, I dnfed The Furnace, just wasn't in the mood I guess, but I restarted Death Claims by Joseph Hansen because apparently I'm in the mood for a hard-bitten gay detective. It's good.

Ooh, who's biting him hard? :3:

And you can read one book literally at the same time as listening to another book on audio? :stare:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Ooh, who's biting him hard? :3:

And you can read one book literally at the same time as listening to another book on audio? :stare:

A guy he met in the first book, it's rough going but I believe in them :kimchi:

& yeah, I guess I process them differently? It helps that this like the third or fourth time I've listened to Hawk.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's seriously crazy. Go your brain!

When I'm listening to audiobooks, if my eyes even brush over one sentence of written words I need to rewind and listen again. I can't browse the net or anything while listening to them. My brain will only accept chunks of language through one input method at a time. It's like there's a binary valve that switches between my eyes and ears.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Just started three new ones in the past week, all humming along at about half done:

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by D Eichar. Conversationally written and engaging so far, not especially scholastic but I've always found this case fascinating.

The Children of Men by PD James. One of my favorite movies, about time I read the book.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by E Larson. Mostly because I want to read his recent one on the Lusitania, but I'm on the waiting list at the library. So this will hold me over in the meantime.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I got these from The Strand yesterday.

The Beautiful Indifference which was a Staff Recomendation and they know their poo poo when it comes to good books.

Inside the Dream Palace. Because I wanna secretly be Bob Dylan

The Devil in the White City: I always forget about this one. I recently brought up H.H. Holmes in a Facebook club and this book came up. I grabbed it when I saw it.

Mosquitoland. I'm a sucker for well written YA Novels and I'm glad that the trend is now swinging to more realistic novels instead of distopian futures.

The Whites: It just seemed interesting, I'm going in blind on this one.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm thinking of trying to read The HItch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy once more.

I saw the 70's tv show, listened to the radio shows and watched the 2005 movie. The first 2 were awesome while the movie was meh. I felt like the only real funny part was the guy filling the ocean with a garden hose.

A few years ago I had tried to read the book, but I ended giving up due to how often I'd read the same sentence over and over again trying to figure out if it actually made any sense (My english was a lot worse back then). I feel like I'm ready to give it another go.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Picked up Night Lords, a 40K omnibus about the cheerful Chaos Space Marines. Looking forward to it after I finish up with Eisenhorn.

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
The Three Musketeers. I just absolutely love it.
D'artagnan just rolled up to town and managed to piss off Athos, Parthos AND Aramis to the point that they challenge him to independent duels, but he accidentally schedules all three duels on the same day. When they show up to see each other, all three Musketeers are to embarrassed to explain why D'artagnan pissed them off, and it was super awkward and absolutely loving hysterical.
Then mean ol' Cardinal Richelieu's thugs roll up and start poo poo like they gangsta, and D'artagnan teams up with the Furious 3 to bus a move on they bitch punk asses. After that D'artagnan's full BFF.
That's the first two chapters, I'm delighted to read the rest of it.

:boom:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan.

Terrible terrible manlove scenes but otherwise it is fun. Quite an interesting backdrop to the story.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

I just started reading Hell House by Richard Matheson. Besides some glaring typos, it's pretty great so far. 79 pages in.

EDIT:

Aaand finished! Well that was pretty fun.

Fausty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 2, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Martian, by Andy Weir. Figured I should read it before the movie comes out.

I'm a couple chapters in and it's pretty neat, but the protagonist's voice has a few quirks that make him seem like he's a college-age girl in my mind, rather than a hyper-competent astronaut. We'll see how it goes.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

the protagonist's voice has a few quirks that make him seem like he's a college-age girl in my mind, rather than a hyper-competent astronaut.

Yeah, thats how I felt. I cringed at epic fail.

Despot
Sep 9, 2014

Whoops

The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler

Really interesting history of the suburbs and their development in America, a lot of talk about architecture but manages to not be dry at all or overly-technical (as someone who knew nothing about architecture prior to reading, I didn't feel overwhelmed). Easily would recommend.

From Bauhaus to Our House by Tom Wolfe

Somewhat similar to above by describing the decline of (as Geography calls it) "America's man-made landscape," but seems to give (from what little I've read thus far) a greater emphasis on the urban environment. I intend on reading more of Wolfe's work soon (notably The Right Stuff), but figured I should start with this because it's quite short and pairs well with Geography.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Regency Lesbian romance :3: I totally forgot I'd preordered it and suddenly it showed up on my phone lol

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I've acquired a few new books in the past week:

Apocalypse Pretty Soon: Travels in End-Time America by A Heard. A nice complement to my ongoing, low-grade obsession with atomic culture/kitsch.

The Painted Bird by J Kosinski. Can't believe I made it this far without reading Kosinski. What a searing, harrowing novel; about 30% through already.

Of Walking in Ice by W Herzog. For whatever reason, the released was delayed. Slim volume and should be able to plow through it in an afternoon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was recommended The Last Kingdom, the first book of the Saxon Stories, by Bernard Cornwell because they're fun to read, pretty well written, and apparently the BBC is making a show about the series. I was traveling this weekend so I bought the first two in the series to read on a plane/over the weekend. After reading the first one on the plane and landing I ended up stopping by bookstore and buying the next three. They're really fun books and if you have any interest in historical fiction, I definitely recommend them.

Has anyone read any of his other stuff? I noticed he has quite a few different books, all about different parts of English history, and I may be interested in picking up some of them when I finish the Saxon stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cornell is interesting. He's probably the best living pulp historical fiction writer, at least that I know of. His Sharpe series is great. That said, he's not "literary" in the way that say Renault or Patrick O'Brian are.

There is another book titled "White Horse King" that's a good view of the historical King Alfred.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 15, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cornell is interesting. He's probably the best living pulp historical fiction writer, at least that I know of. His Sharpe series is great. That said, he's not "literary" in the way that say Renault or Patrick O'Brian are.

There is another book titled "White Horse King" that's a good view of the historical King Alfred.

Thank you for both suggestions, I will take a look at them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was recommended The Last Kingdom, the first book of the Saxon Stories, by Bernard Cornwell because they're fun to read, pretty well written, and apparently the BBC is making a show about the series. I was traveling this weekend so I bought the first two in the series to read on a plane/over the weekend. After reading the first one on the plane and landing I ended up stopping by bookstore and buying the next three. They're really fun books and if you have any interest in historical fiction, I definitely recommend them.

Has anyone read any of his other stuff? I noticed he has quite a few different books, all about different parts of English history, and I may be interested in picking up some of them when I finish the Saxon stories.

He wrote a three part series about King Arthur. I think the first book is Enemy of God. It's one of my favourites and a fun quasi-historical story about post-Roman Britain. I have the Saxon Stories on my shelf to read, I should go through them sometime.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Here to echo the Cornwell praise. I was recommended the audiobook of The Last Kingdom (book1 of The Saxon Stores) because of the story and also the quality of the narration, and immediately bought book 2, The Pale Horseman afterwards because it is so drat good.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Started The Satanic Verses again after an aborted attempt at reading it a few years ago. I had a bad habit in college of dropping whatever I was reading at the time during exam weeks and then never coming back to it (usually because the library recalled my copy), so now I'm trying to finally finish all of those half-read books.

Next up will be Sophie's World and then Pere Goriot if the translation I got for cheap at a used book store doesn't turn out to be unreadable.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm reading China Miéville's upcoming collection, Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories — which comes out at the end of the month, although a bit later in the US. It's his usual mix of SF, fantasy and weird fiction, with his fantastic literary talent shining through on every page.

I blog a lot about China Miéville and for this book I wanted to do a few posts where I gave my thoughts on each story individually. I've already posted the one for the first 10 stories, here. The collection has 28 stories in total. It's a very meaty book. China Miéville fans will be very satisfied with it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Some of these based on recommendations here in this thread:

Fiction:
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (re-read for me, reading it with a friend who is reading it for the first time; we're in a sort of long distance book club)
Gun, With Occasional Music, Jonathan Lethem
The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Non-fiction:
Great Books, David Denby
How To Read a Book, Mortimer J. Adler
The Closing of the American Mind, Allan Bloom
The Western Canon, Harold Bloom

With the non-fiction titles above, they fit into an ongoing project of reading classics/great books as exemplified by a couple of different famous university courses past and present (and some past "great books" editions sold as multi-volume sets), as well as reading about those efforts.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
In Cold Blood should probably be in your non-fiction list.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
The first three Reckoners books by Brandon Sanderson , I've enjoyed everything of his I've read so far so figured I could take a risk on a YA series if someone competent is at the helm.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I bought a hardcover copy of The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway at a local church bazaar yesterday, for a dollar.

Turns out it's the first illustrated edition by The Reprint Society in 1953 with illustrations by C.F.Tunnicliffe.

Some googling tells me it's worth between $15.00 and $800.00. No dust jacket though, but it's in very good condition otherwise. I still haven't been able to nail down a solid price for it without the dust jacket, however.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just received House of Leaves for my birthday! Just flipping through without reading, I can already see that this is going to be... interesting, at the very least. I'm not too far in, but I'm getting flashbacks to this nightmare I had where I was trapped in a haunted house and the thing that terrified me most in the dream was that the scientific method mysteriously stopped working.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaking of In Cold Blood, I'm about halfway through it. After that, I move on to Sue Grafton's X, which arrived on my Kindle late last night as a result of a preorder.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Somnambulist by Barnes.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Just started Trust Me, I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday. Heard about it on the Biggest Problem in the Universe; it's pretty fascinating so far. Serves as a great companion piece to The Last Psychiatrist and The Process of Government, really helps to illustrate not only the ways our thoughts are manipulated by dysfunctional profit-driven media, but how everything we've ever thought we chose to value or believe in is probably a carefully crafted lie. I recommend drinking while or after reading.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Started:

The Harry Potter series is one I'd been meaning to read since the 90s when the movies began, and am surprised at how quick they are. The movies didn't seem to have to cut anything out.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 9, 2015

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I finally got around to getting Nemesis Games by James S. A. Corey, part of his vaguely decent Expanse series.

I don't know what to think of it so far. It reads like a book that wants to be a television script instead, which maybe the previous ones did as well. It probably isn't a great sign that I don't remember much of the previous books in the series beyond that I read them.

I'm just a sucker for trashy science fiction.

Love it. Light hearted Harry Potter, and the darkest book I've ever read.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I just started Last Call by Tim Powers. I can see why he regularly gets cited as inspiration for the Unknown Armies RPG

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I bought a couple Ken Follett novels at a book festival, A Place Called Freedom, A Dangerous Fortune and Whiteout. Could not see any of his more popular stuff there but I've read the first two so far and they were alright. Started Whiteout yesterday and it's seems kind of crummy in comparison, perhaps Follett is more suited to writing historical novels.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just finished the first couple of chapters of American Gods by Gaiman. I have no idea why it took me so long to read this--so good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Just started Girl Who Played With Fire, read the first earlier in the summer
Next in the queue is if I Did It, by OJ

• Locked thread