Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

No, Who's on first!

I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ashcans posted:

If Mayday is Spider-Woman now, who is Jessica Drew?

Mayday is only Spider-Woman in the MC2 universe, which means she's pretty irrelevant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Mayday is ... pretty irrelevant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:colbert: You're pretty irrelevant!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also, they seem to be quietly rolling back the Spider-Woman rebranding (the covers have all referred to the backup as 'a Spider-Girl story', and even in story people still call her Spider-Girl). Not to mention while Mayday's been mentioned as showing up in Web Warriors, Anya didn't even appear in the setup story for Web Warriors in ASM #1. So who's irrelevant now? :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I seriously thought Anya had died at some point, but I guess that was wishful thinking.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chris Samnee did a minor redesign on Black Widow's costume for the new ongoing:

Aside from the neckline web and the fingerless gloves, the biggest change seems to be that the chest is properly flattened for the practical look. You can bet that the variant cover artists are still going to draw latex boobsocks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's more the fact that Samnee's a good artist, though. The neckline seems to be an attempt to compromise and stay consistent, basically acknowledging that a full catsuit will be unzipped to the navel by pretty much every artist except the one on the solo, so here, you can have some exposed cleavage and she still looks semi-professional.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a vent.

Catsuits get sweaty.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Sweaty is underselling it, catsuits are a heatstroke in clothes form.

Of course so are most of the redesigns based on motorcycle leathers.

You'll never get away from me I'll chase you to the ends of the earth, after I down a gallon a Gatorade and sit down for a few minutes.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2015

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
As long as they aren't getting stuck in traffic on a hot day, they'll be fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Sweaty is underselling it, catsuits are a heatstroke in clothes form.

Of course so are most of the redesigns based on motorcycle leathers.

You'll never get away from me I'll chase you to the ends of the earth, after I down a gallon a Gatorade and sit down for a few minutes.

Now I want Christopher Daniel Barnes to re-do that scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Serious question, if she farts in that thing does it blow up like a balloon?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Aphrodite posted:

Serious question, if she farts in that thing does it blow up like a balloon?

First, you stole that joke from Brooklyn 99 from last night.

Second, no, it flies up through the neck hole right into her face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was just going to post a video but I couldn't find one.

Edit: Of the quote, not someone farting in a tight suit.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Boob window uses: Stay cool, release farts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Hey, you know, whatever your fetish is that's cool, nobody's gonna judge.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Aphrodite posted:

It's a good joke. Please no video of farting in latex. Please.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Supergirl's new future duds.

Justice League 3001 #8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I get that I'm supposed to go "An all-female justice league! Wowza!" but instead I'm like "OH NO THE 90S HAVE RETURNED!"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I get that I'm supposed to go "An all-female justice league! Wowza!" but instead I'm like "OH NO THE 90S HAVE RETURNED!"

I agree, that is a great collection of terrible designs. I think the Flash is ok in a corny way, and I always think bulky mad Wonder Woman is a fun thing, but blegh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flash looks like the Iron Spider-Man outfit from a decade ago. Supergirl, Wondy, and Bat-Mecha seem kind-of lazy. Lady Gardner seems real lazy. Fire and Killer Frost also look lazy but their basic iconography is generic enough that they work, although the Super Saiyan hair isn't doing either of them favors.

Also loving :lol: at how prevalent hexagons have become as a way to differentiate ugly rubber from tactical armor or what have you, that they just slap a flat pattern onto any fabric that might have them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lurdiak posted:

Needs to be a Liefeld cover for maximum 90s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keep in mind the book is really garish and dumb in and of it's self (in the best way). I think it fits great :D

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Lady Gardner seems real lazy.

Gal Gardner.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Norns posted:

Needs to be a Liefeld cover for maximum 90s.

It does have seven characters and only one visible foot.

E: Two visible feet.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Teenage Fansub posted:

Justice League 3001 #8

That yellow line coming from the S isignia down to the circle on Supe's stomach is weird and unnecessary.

Also, WW with spaghetti straps is dumb. It is always so weird to see a character like her designed with so much open flesh.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's been bothering me since I posted about Captain Marvel's costume being all primary colors (Red, blue, yellow), someone said the primary colors are Red, Blue, Green. I had this primary color argument with my cousin yesterday. What's the deal? Is the red, blue, green thing a recent development having to do with digital colors or what?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

It's been bothering me since I posted about Captain Marvel's costume being all primary colors (Red, blue, yellow), someone said the primary colors are Red, Blue, Green. I had this primary color argument with my cousin yesterday. What's the deal? Is the red, blue, green thing a recent development having to do with digital colors or what?

It was a joke about one of the old Captain Marvel costumes being green

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Red/Blue/Yellow are primary pigment colours.
RGB is the primary set for light.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I thought it'd be something like that. I'll have to read up more on it.

Have we discussed the comic book shorthand of Red/Blue = Good and Green/Purple = Bad? How common was that practice back in the day?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow (and Black, kinda) are the primary colours for printing, RYB is a bit of an artefact and isn't capable of reproducing as wide a range of colours.

You can have more than 3 primary colours (or different ones), those are just chosen because they correspond to the 3 kinds of colour receptors in the eye.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I thought it'd be something like that. I'll have to read up more on it.

Have we discussed the comic book shorthand of Red/Blue = Good and Green/Purple = Bad? How common was that practice back in the day?
Given that the vast majority of Marvel and DC characters were created "back in the day" I'd say it was very common.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There are two sets of three primary colors - additive and subtractive.

When you are mixing paint, red yellow and blue are the primaries. Mix them all together and you get a dark, muddy neutral. This is called subtractive color.

When you are mixing light (imagine shining three colored spotlights on the same location) red, blue and green all mix to make white. This is called additive color.

If you are making something in Photoshop, you should use RGB if it is going to be displayed on a monitor and CMYK if it's going to be printed out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Die Laughing posted:

You can see it fairly commonly, but the primary thing is that it's only kind of half true.

A lot of it simply comes down to colour harmonies and the fact that if you have a Red/Blue/Yellow coloured hero and you want your villains to stand out on the page and not blur together during action then you want to use a differing colour harmony, which generally will be Orange/Green/Purple. As to why you'd start with primary colours on your heroes - they're strong and vibrant, while green or purple might bring to mind putrescence.

Old school Spider-Man has a lot of green enemies - Green Goblin is probably the best example with his purple cloak and orange pumpkin bombs but also Vulture/Sandman/Electro/Doctor Octopus. Fantastic Four were just blue because they already had orange on their team and red/yellow would not have matched - but they still fought green/purple enemies (Mole Man/Annihilus/Skrulls/Impossible Man) though not as predominantly as predominant as Spider-Man. X-Men on the other hand did not use red - they were blue/yellow and did not fight very many green/purple enemies: their villains were mostly reddish (Juggernaut/Toad/Scarlet Witch/Mastermind/Omega Red), Purplish (Sentinels/Apocalypse), or both (Mr Sinister/Magneto).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know what your problem is with the Hulk's color pattern, but I'm going to have to ask you politely, but firmly, to leave.

:colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Hulk's color scheme is great. The "villain colors" help differentiate him from the other Marvel heroes.

EDIT: Scarlet Witch was colored green on the cover of her first appearence. Mastermind is also wearing a green cloak. Quicksilver is in his traditional blue, but he wore green in some early appearences.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 20, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Justice League 3001 #8

Did they have a sale on red fabric or something?

Kinda weird how the Flash, Supergirl's cape and WW's pants all kinda flow together into one amorphous blob in the thumbnail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I must be the only person who likes those designs, but then I'm a fan of Scott Kolins anyway. I agree that the Wonder Woman spaghetti straps are kind of off though. And the hexagonal future cloth pattern looks like it was filled in with the paint bucket tool.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keep in mind the book is really garish and dumb in and of it's self (in the best way). I think it fits great :D

Yeah pretty much this.

Lurdiak posted:

I think the next big thing in comics is going to be a redo of the 90s, but with good writing and art (if it already hasn't happened or started yet)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread