Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Habble, habitat? I just thought that the first time I read it, it seemed obvious. Do you guys ever speak to people who aren't American? Are you absolutely stumped if someone uses UK/AUS/SA/NZ slang? Can you not figure it out from context? (clearly you don't read Neal Stephenson or Gene Wolfe)
edit: spire, what is a spire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

jivjov posted:

People like to "bawl" orders, both in Alera and Aeronaut

Using the word bawl in context with orders or just having someone a higher rank bawling out a lower rank is perfectly cromulent. It's fallen out of fashion for general speech these days but for the semi-Victorian/Edwardian/Olde English/whatever setting it's perfect and has embiggened my appreciation for Butcher's descriptions. :3:

Oh and habble and other made up words worked fine for me, how are people having trouble? It was obviously a corruption of Habitat Level or something similar.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is it good? Readable? Was looking at it in store today but I realised butcher isn't actually that good an author and I only like dresden because dresden.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Aeronaut's showed up. Haven't started it yet.

I'm working my way through Atrocity Archives and there's stuff I like about it but, so far, it's not something of which I'd enjoy reading any future installments. While I appreciate the actual CS disciplinary name-drops and whatnot, the majority of the technical jargon they use feels super made-up and hand-wavey. It's gotten to the point that, when it starts happening, I just go into skim-mode and tune out for a page or two. Does he get away from that?

Do things ever get more defined as to in-universe terminology and some concrete rules? Or does it continue to be "oh, we need a huge powerful super-computer driven laser array for this... except someone can completely defeat whatever threat we summon-up by clever use of their cell phone apps," ?

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I liked it a lot. Some people ITT seem to be triggered by it though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jivjov posted:

People like to "bawl" orders, both in Alera and Aeronaut

Still not nearly as bad as all the snarling people do in the Dresden Files.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I finished Skin Game. Loved it, especially the end with Butters becoming a Jedi Knight of the Cross.

And now I have to wait. (I know, I know, quit my bitching, you guys have been waiting way longer. Just saying, sad to reach the end of the published books.)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Affi posted:

Is it good? Readable? Was looking at it in store today but I realised butcher isn't actually that good an author and I only like dresden because dresden.

Do you like cats? This is important.

I liked it, but I liked Codex Alera more or less as well. Personally I thought it was an interesting premise with pretty varied characters. The 'hook' at the ending fell a bit flat for me but I suppose I'll still pick up the next book to see what happens.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, its kind of like Storm Front in that ends with some nebulous foreshadowing of Bad Things coming.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Read a bit more of Aeronaut..and I picked up on something that annoys me greatly. Butcher can't decide if he wants to use "Fleet" or "the Fleet". In one passage, someone talks about "the types of maps used by the Fleet", in another someone says that "they left Fleet for a reason" or somesuch.

Poor editing? Or does this have significance later?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

Read a bit more of Aeronaut..and I picked up on something that annoys me greatly. Butcher can't decide if he wants to use "Fleet" or "the Fleet". In one passage, someone talks about "the types of maps used by the Fleet", in another someone says that "they left Fleet for a reason" or somesuch.

Poor editing? Or does this have significance later?

I'd have to reread, but it may be individual characters or different groups speaking differently. Fleet, ex fleet, and civilians?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been cataloging who uses which usage...but my impression has been that it's random, and I think Captain Grimm uses both in the same paragraph once.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I think the Fleet refers to the organization and Fleet is usually used as an adjective

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't care how good this book is or this series becomes, I will never be able to take a character named "Captain Grimm" seriously.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't care how good this book is or this series becomes, I will never be able to take a character named "Captain Grimm" seriously.

Wait till he becomes Admiral, then he'll lead the Grimm Fleet.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
There's talking cats, man. I don't think taking anything seriously was ever in the cards.

Is the book worth setting aside time specifically to get through it? With my schedule at work these days and the fact that I've gone back to driving instead of taking transit (where I got the most reading done since it was a roughly 40 minute trip each way), I don't really have as much incidental time to read so I haven't gotten it yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RosaParksOfDip posted:

There's talking cats, man. I don't think taking anything seriously was ever in the cards.

Is the book worth setting aside time specifically to get through it? With my schedule at work these days and the fact that I've gone back to driving instead of taking transit (where I got the most reading done since it was a roughly 40 minute trip each way), I don't really have as much incidental time to read so I haven't gotten it yet.

I'm about 2/3 through the book on CD version, it's pretty good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RosaParksOfDip posted:

It's a fun read, so if you want some "decompression" reading this is not a bad choice (if you enjoy his other stuff). The audiobook may be more your speed for commuting, but I haven't heard anything regarding the audiobook. With the right narrator, the audio book could be pretty good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ornamented Death posted:

Mad Grimm, if we want to be informal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At least he's not Grimm Dark.
sorry

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've started The Rhesus Chart and I feel like I've missed something. Bob recalls being put on the management fast track at the end of The Fuller Memorandum but mentions that several events between then and now have derailed him from said track - have I missed a short story or a novella somewhere? I thought I'd read all the online stuff.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I'm going to ask anyway. How is the Stormlight Archive? Should I bother starting it?

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
It's very Sanderson, so if you like his style you'll probably enjoy it. I really enjoyed it, outside of a couple things in the first book - Shallan trying to be witty, mostly.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've started The Rhesus Chart and I feel like I've missed something. Bob recalls being put on the management fast track at the end of The Fuller Memorandum but mentions that several events between then and now have derailed him from said track - have I missed a short story or a novella somewhere? I thought I'd read all the online stuff.

I was also confused by that. Equiod was the only other published thing, so I don't know what this was supposed to be.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I'm going to ask anyway. How is the Stormlight Archive? Should I bother starting it?

It's about as good as Sanderson gets. He actually put planning and effort into it as his flagship fantasy series, rather than writing all of it while being bored on a plane ride. Whether that's good enough for you, I dunno.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slithery D posted:

I was also confused by that. Equiod was the only other published thing, so I don't know what this was supposed to be.

Now, I know I've read Equoid - that's the one about the unicorns, isn't it?

I suppose Stross has probably answered this question somewhere on his blog though I wouldn't know where to look for it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh, have you read Apocalypse Codex? IIRC takes place inbetween these two.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, I read that one last - looking back at my post, I got it mixed up with The Fuller Memorandum. :downs:

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Uh, have you read Apocalypse Codex? IIRC takes place inbetween these two.

Yeah, but he did great and got a promotion in that one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Yes, but keep in mind the first chapter is basically a videogame tutorial and isn't really that great.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Just finished Cinder Spires, and while I wasn't sold for the first few chapters, I -really- liked the book in the end.

I'm with most people that found Gwen insufferable riiight up until she met Journeyman, and then those few short chapters were some of my favorite stuff. I'm kind of hoping for some more buddy cop stuff with those two in the future of the series. Likewise, Folly was a character that grew on me quite a bit as I began to understand how Etherealists work, and by the end when she started actually -talking- to the Predator it was a really cool moment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

Yes, but keep in mind the first chapter is basically a videogame tutorial and isn't really that great.

Also keep in mind that this complaint is overstated, and the only "video game" part of it is the phrase "There are three types of ____".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As well as the fact that the entire fight scene is written like "And then he held U+X and burned 25% of his power bar to Lash them to the ceiling, then he hit D+Y+RT to launch a Gravity Kick down the hallway..."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Khizan posted:

As well as the fact that the entire fight scene is written like "And then he held U+X and burned 25% of his power bar to Lash them to the ceiling, then he hit D+Y+RT to launch a Gravity Kick down the hallway..."

Tbh I'd rather that then hand-wavey poo poo that winds up amounting to "the protagonist dug REAL REAL DEEP and GRITTED THEIR TEETH and won through sheer determination" because there are no rules other than what winds up with our hero coming out on top.

One thing I really don't like in Dresden Files is that Harry regularly winds up with his back to the wall then grits his teeth, draws on some prior reserve that he inexplicably wasn't using until now, saves the day, then passes out.

Let the protagonist win by out-fighting and/or out-smarting their opponent and actually winning, instead of having plot armor twist the implied rules of the world to make them win because they're just so plucky and gutsy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's all Sanderson does, except he does it more like "And then the hero realized how the powers really worked and then he used the powers and he won" so it's not "Harry reached into his soul and tapped his reserves and won" it's "Kaladin realized that he had to say the words and then he said the words and then he won".

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

No I'm pretty sure V's fight against the other Mistborn in the first Mistborn book owned all the bones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Magres posted:

Tbh I'd rather that then hand-wavey poo poo that winds up amounting to "the protagonist dug REAL REAL DEEP and GRITTED THEIR TEETH and won through sheer determination" because there are no rules other than what winds up with our hero coming out on top.

One thing I really don't like in Dresden Files is that Harry regularly winds up with his back to the wall then grits his teeth, draws on some prior reserve that he inexplicably wasn't using until now, saves the day, then passes out.

Let the protagonist win by out-fighting and/or out-smarting their opponent and actually winning, instead of having plot armor twist the implied rules of the world to make them win because they're just so plucky and gutsy.

Don't get me wrong, I like rules magic, and I like sanderson, but the first chapter of Way of Kings I didn't like that much, because it was way further towards the tutorial level end of things than normal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We do have a Sanderson thread, you know.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ConfusedUs posted:

We do have a Sanderson thread, you know.
Maybe it's because I already knew the characters and was therefore more invested in them, but I enjoyed Shadows of Self more than the Aeronaut's Windlass. Wayne owns. I felt like I had a harder time caring about the main characters in Windlass. Maybe as Butcher reveals more of the metaplot that'll change.

(Getting a sequel to SoS in a few months rather than having to wait a year+ is also a nice bonus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Sanderson say he was going to go in an urban fantasy direction with the next (or a future) instalment of Mistborn? I think I've read that.