Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Are there any mods out there like Uvirith's Legacy but for House Redoran (or god forbid Hlaalu)? I've done everything possible in House Telvanni about five times over. I want a crab bunker now.

You're stuck with LGNPC if you want new Redoran stuff to do. The good news is they have TONS of quests and stuff for Redoran (I think one of the plugins has like 60 quests?). The bad news is it's LGNPC.

There's also Grandmaster of House Hlaalu, but I don't know if that's finished, or still being worked on or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Does anyone know if soul trap works as a aoe? Like if I managed to round up 5-10 rats and cast it in an area and then fireballed them would I fill up multiple soul gems?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
It can. But you'll need to make a custom spell. By default it's single target only.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Spear is a pro choice.

I love choosing spears as one of my major skills. It's probably one of the most common weapons I use.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love choosing spears as one of my major skills. It's probably one of the most common weapons I use.

Yeah plus The Spear of Bitter Mercy is a v. good weapon.

Vanilla and even with BTB's :spergin: tweaks, my favorite build to break Morrowind is

Dark Elf, Atronach, Spec: Stealth
Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Endurance

Major: Short Blade, Light Armor, Illusion, Mysticism, Sneak
Minor: Enchant, Block, Marksman, Acrobatics, Spear

Weapon and magic skills are interchangeable, alchemy if you feel like it, etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any super comprehensive "all in one" texture packs out there? I'm playing a vanilla as gently caress Morrowind with only MGXE shaders going, but wouldn't mind sprucing it up a bit with textures. TIA

Edit: Actually disregard, I see the link to Connary's poo poo in the OP, and enough other stuff that it should be fairly comprehensive. But I'll still take suggestions though. Anything out there that addresses Bloodmoon and Tribunal stuff?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 29, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Yeah plus The Spear of Bitter Mercy is a v. good weapon.

Vanilla and even with BTB's :spergin: tweaks, my favorite build to break Morrowind is

Dark Elf, Atronach, Spec: Stealth
Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Endurance

Major: Short Blade, Light Armor, Illusion, Mysticism, Sneak
Minor: Enchant, Block, Marksman, Acrobatics, Spear

Weapon and magic skills are interchangeable, alchemy if you feel like it, etc.

I'm having trouble telling how you'd break the game with that setup and BTBs settings on. No alchemy or restoration so you have to find or buy potions and money can be much harder to come by especially early on. Also, no armourer and light armour is so drat fragile.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I go straight to get that dwemer spear from the ruin up north. It's called Illuvorok or something like that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Death Zebra posted:

I'm having trouble telling how you'd break the game with that setup and BTBs settings on. No alchemy or restoration so you have to find or buy potions and money can be much harder to come by especially early on. Also, no armourer and light armour is so drat fragile.

Atronach, mostly. That build is built around not getting your poo poo pushed in the first few minutes. It doesn't break the game wide open like vanilla, though, you're right.

Breaking the game in the traditional Morrowind sense = alchemy spam, but with BTB the character is still very strong in the context of that mod.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like playing as one of the pre built classes. Morrowind is easy enough as it is once you know the game a little bit and I like the flavor of picking one of those classes and trying to roleplay it. My most recent one was a Dark Elf Witch Hunter that went the Temple/Hlaalu route. I greatly enjoyed feeling justified with murdering the gently caress out of every cultist I found in Daedric ruins.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ginette Reno posted:

I like playing as one of the pre built classes. Morrowind is easy enough as it is once you know the game a little bit and I like the flavor of picking one of those classes and trying to roleplay it. My most recent one was a Dark Elf Witch Hunter that went the Temple/Hlaalu route. I greatly enjoyed feeling justified with murdering the gently caress out of every cultist I found in Daedric ruins.

And here I was thinking I didn't have anything I wanted to do enough for another run-through :cripes:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

is it the consensus that morrowind rebirth sucks nuts?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

a noble effort again ruined by feature creep

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kazr posted:

I've said this before, but the music is really good and worth downloading the mod for. Just extract the music and get rid of the rest.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

chaosapiant posted:

I've said this before, but the music is really good and worth downloading the mod for. Just extract the music and get rid of the rest.

:agreed:, pro post

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is it possible to set up MGE-XE to work with OpenMW?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't believe so, MGE-XE expands Morrowind's vanilla exe. It's sort of pointless to use it on OpenMW because the goal of that program is to open the code so the modding community can avoid hacks like that.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That's a bummer. OpenMW as it is runs way better than vanilla Morrowind, but I really wanna try that distant fog/blur thing posted a little bit ago. I keep checking the OMW site daily hoping for a new update.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Atronach, mostly. That build is built around not getting your poo poo pushed in the first few minutes. It doesn't break the game wide open like vanilla, though, you're right.

Breaking the game in the traditional Morrowind sense = alchemy spam, but with BTB the character is still very strong in the context of that mod.

Ahh...I had an inkling that might be it. I'm tempted to try that setup but my Morrowind occasionally BSODs and I've just gotten away from playing it for one and a half months solid with multiple characters.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
There's a TR twitch stream going on right now if anyone's interested.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Indeed, it's pretty neat (it's TR dev run) and you should feel bad for not being there.

Edit: And it's over.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 8, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Sadly the stream was not saved or whatever allows you to watch past twitch streams.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
In the meantime, Tamriel Rebuilt 1510 was released.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nice, they finally merged in 2-3 year old content that's been sitting in the finished pile. Almalexia is one hell of a city to jump around.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Nice, they finally merged in 2-3 year old content that's been sitting in the finished pile. Almalexia is one hell of a city to jump around.

And it's still gonna be remade completely before its proper release. :psyduck:

Still, cool that they are attempting a fixed release schedule for updates. What did they talk about/show in the stream for those who watched?

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

And it's still gonna be remade completely before its proper release. :psyduck:

Still, cool that they are attempting a fixed release schedule for updates. What did they talk about/show in the stream for those who watched?

Heat death is gonna come long before the final version of TR does

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

The delay in releases has been attributed to, as many of you may already well know, a major restructuring in our project.
"The delay in releases has been blamed, by some, on the fact that we went crazy and shat everywhere"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Atrayonis posted:

In the meantime, Tamriel Rebuilt 1510 was released.

I'm guessing this breaks existing TR mods like the grass cover mod and so on?

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
No, the mainland.esm has not been touched. The updates proper went to TR_Preview (formerly TR_Alpha, do not use those two esps together!) and the TR_DATA bsa and esm.

Also this will sound really dumb taken my previous posts, but since I touched the poop and am now on the inside (:tinfoil:), I actually know what went wrong and when.
And yeah, poo poo's hosed, but the people who are still around are trying to unfuck the whole thing from top to bottom. But unfortunately, this will take time and the Morrowind modding community is not getting bigger.

That's especially bad since TR is seen as something that only happens to other people. Right now it would need concept artists and writers more than anything to get out of its slump and into a state of being able to coordinate and do CS work again, and they are all off creating Waifu Adventures or Skywind. :smith:

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 9, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Care to elaborate any? I know poo poo's totally hosed, and even if I technically am a TR member I never put in an ounce of work for them.

TR sort of died to me when they decided to tear down the walls between the Mainland and Vvardenfell, which seemed to me like egos had taken over and it became more about the idea of 'it is our sacred duty to make Morrowind as Bethesda wanted to make it' rather than 'let us expand because we love Morrowind'. And it seemed to me like the project had stagnated so badly and shed so many people that people with massive egos had started to overtake the old guard. Am I close?

Was there any significant pushback or had the echo chamber become too strong? What are they trying to do to unfuck it?

If you don’t want to betray trust you can PM me, I'll keep it top secret, I just want to know what the gently caress happened.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I bet all my bitcoins and cs:go skins that it was yet another case of nerd drama queens making GBS threads on everything

Arthmoor isn't connected to this in some way, is he? Because that would explain everything

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Nah, these are no secrets if you hang around TR's IRC channel or the public weekly Skype meetings and I'm not naming names or specific incidents.

First, the idea that the Mainland/Vvardenfell divide was unfeasible was a sideshow, but also in hindsight a necessary conclusion. This was brought on largely by two things:

1) The Almalexia problem (you might have heard that one before). Tribunal's Mournhold cannot be integrated anywhere, since it is non-euclidean in implementation (you can see that in the TR_Preview and here. You can't even use it like a forbidden city type of place, because it plain doesn't work as a settlement, a city, a compound, or even a circle. So at this point you are stuck having to rewrite existing content or Almalexia plain can't be done without sticking out like a sore thumb.

2) The divide between the mainland and Vvardenfell is increasingly artificial and nonsensical the more of the mainland actually exists. Even Bethesda paid only lip service to it and the idea of a quarantine so they had an in-game excuse on why they wouldn't model the mainland. Eventually the SOD breaks and with the march to Old Ebonheart - which is after all the Imperial settlement in Morrowind - it was breaking hard.
Swiftoak's concept maps being spread far and wide didn't help there, because they were his private summer project and not a design goal for TR, which I also only learned after I'd exploded on TR.
By and large, the integration is supposed to do away with the faction divide between Vvardenfell faction branches and mainland faction branches, overhaul very few quests if they conflict with actual mainland developement and adding travel links (the latter will be done by the next TR release as an optional plugin). The focus is on integrating Vvardenfell as it is into a political landscape which is a bit deeper than your neighbour's carp lake and not rewriting it to adher to an overarching "Morrowind as it should have been" theme. This is not Morrowind Rebirth after all (thank God). Also, the decision making process on how the quests should be integrated is not done at all and you can absolutely chime in in the Skype meetings and future planning threads (see below).

As for how poo poo's hosed, back in 2012 the problem of Almalexia kept popping up like a bad browser ad and it became increasingly apparent that a design process of "Exterior->Interior->NPC->Quest->Gotta rewrite the Exterior->Gotta rewrite the Quest->Gotta rewrite a different Quest->Hit a roadblock, let's wait for the rewrite" and a lack of long-term planning with an agreed-upon political landscape was killing TR. This is also why you don't have high level Telvanni faction quests, incidentally, you can do grunt-level quests but as soon as you hit politics above the local level something has to break. In ESO (which has the same problem) it breaks SOD, in TR it broke progress.

Essentially, TR at this point was reverse-Star Citizen: all product, no plans.

So everyone got together and decided to do a new top-down Master Plan (tm) and a website and claims procedure and system overhaul.
And this is, indeed when the drama happened. We got a new website out of it but the drama and conflicting visions that accompanied it drove most of the active leadership away from TR over the coming year(s) and whatever bugtracker would have been implemented plain didn't.
(This is, incidentally, the niche I hope to fill eventually. The technological backend has atrophied pretty catastrophically as a forum-based claims system has proven totally inadequate to handle top-down developement and the attempts to move to something else were lost in the drama along with the people who had any idea what they were doing. I hope I can continue where progress was left off last time, as I'm pretty sure I've only got one shot at it before TR as a whole croaks.)

There's three good things that came out of it, though:

1) Among the people who left were the most purist ones, so the clashing egos are now by and large gone. Even while none of them were Arthmoor or Giskard level even at their worst, it helps to get poo poo done. (This is also why there's a low-level and long term effort starting now to integrate the Project Tamriel Data files and the TR Data file into one big, happy BSA. So you will eventually be able to travel into your nordic Skyrim and jungle Cyrodiil with the same data set and use that as a sort of COBL for Morrowind mods. Hopefully. Eventually.)

2) The decision making process and information flow has been acknowledged to be abysmal and most of the forums have been opened to the public, including the planning sections. This is also somewhat unfortunate, since they are full of old crap which is no longer relevant (they're from the "here's how to best redo what we have" phase).

3) Also there are now weekly Skype meetings, open to the public, where (very slowly and after that same initial toothing phase of "here's how we can best rewrite existing stuff") the actual Master Plan gets hashed out and then transplanted into the forums, so TR gets a design process which isn't held together by shoestrings and gum.
Once this is done and once actual faction/political planning is underway, there will be new claims and either TR as in the esm and esp will progress or it will finally die when it turns out nobody's left to implement all the plans.
This is unfortunately as fun and speedy as watching grass grow. And it's something that should have been done ten years ago, but well...

And now it's time for the cheap plea for help: if you have any interest in and anything to contribute to TR (preferably concept art, scripting/questing, or just a level head and some free time), get things done and hang around the forums or preferably the IRC channel and go to the Skype meetings (infos about those meetings are here, TR devship is not required, just register and PM Gnomey your Skype account and you get an auto-invite on saturdays). Even if it's just for yelling at everyone to not become Morrowind Rebirth in scope, that's fine. I think this is the last chance to have TR avoid choking under its own weight. It would be a shame.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 10, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I will admit that your statements about the faction divide not being a massive, sweeping change has calmed me quite a bit. What I had feared was that TR was just going to go nuts and at the end Bethesda's content would be thrown out in favor of TR's vision. Because there was a lot of talk about wacky ideas like 'all Telvanni mouths have their minds wiped and replaced to be a vessel for their Master's extended mind' was outrageous and causing me conniptions.

Most specifically, obviously, this has to do with the Great Houses. But if it's going to be a light touch, even if I still have reservations about the change, I'll not be morally opposed to it.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Sky Shadowing posted:

I will admit that your statements about the faction divide not being a massive, sweeping change has calmed me quite a bit. What I had feared was that TR was just going to go nuts and at the end Bethesda's content would be thrown out in favor of TR's vision. Because there was a lot of talk about wacky ideas like 'all Telvanni mouths have their minds wiped and replaced to be a vessel for their Master's extended mind' was outrageous and causing me conniptions.
Oh yes, that it did to me too - I'm a avid Telvanni player myself.
The only thing I've heard about that lately is that it's something maybe one Master/Mistress did to their mouthes and something they can do but most don't. And even then, that's not decided yet.

quote:

Most specifically, obviously, this has to do with the Great Houses. But if it's going to be a light touch, even if I still have reservations about the change, I'll not be morally opposed to it.
Well yes, since this ties into political long-term planning and politics in Morrowind are made by Great Houses (and the Empire). It's just that contact doesn't cut off as soon as you hit the Inner Sea and TR has to account for that somehow because vanilla Morrowind didn't.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I had an old TR account (as a modder) but a few months back I tried to change the email to a not-2003 domain (yahoo->gmail) and never got the email. So I can't get into my account and can't really do much of anything. Who can I get to fix that at TR

account name is the same as here

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Mortimer posted:

I had an old TR account (as a modder) but a few months back I tried to change the email to a not-2003 domain (yahoo->gmail) and never got the email. So I can't get into my account and can't really do much of anything. Who can I get to fix that at TR

account name is the same as here
Well, me now.

I reactivated your acccount (with the new email address in place).

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 10, 2015

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was tinkering around in the CS for the first time and I've inspired myself to release a game mechanic overhaul mod that will alter (among others things) spells/spell effects, equipment, alchemy, NPCs/creatures, races and some settings with a view to making some of the often less used skills/spells/equipment much more attractive without in any way affecting a player's ability to create constant effect enchant items or other powerful stuff if they want to. It'll be designed with GCD Lean, Morrowind Advanced, the Creatures Mod and existing economy adjusters in mind.

I don't want to remove any existing options from the player but want to make it so that there are real, viable and powerful character builds that don't always have to involve heavy armour/blunt weapons/longswords. I want to buff existing medium/light armours (and create new ones) with more unique abilities and enchantments so there's a real tradeoff between armour rating and utility gained from armour. For instance, magicka/skill enhancing light armour or light armour that gives the player higher resistances or health regen. Also, to offset the huge advantage that higher base damage weapons have I want to make smaller weapons much more enchantable and improve existing enchants on other less used weapons. Overall enchantment capacity on various pieces of equipment will be altered to compensate and make sure things don't get completely out of hand.

Without removing reflect from the game I want to deal with it in a way so that it's no longer a massive pain to magic users by making it so that characters can defend themselves from reflect with short-term resistance to magicka effects at reduced autocalculated costs. To enable this one of my core philosophies behind the mod will be that every spell is auto-calculated – and that only on really special occasions will players be rewarded with cooler/more efficient spells (maybe after doing a quest for a Telvanni Councillor for instance). I'll update a lot of the existing spells in the game too e.g. give greater fireball an 80% resist fire on self for 3 secs component.

Alchemy will be streamlined to get rid of all the lovely effects so that people can actually use the herbs they pick up on demand rather than bulk buy at shops – compensated for by a small decrease in the overall power of alchemy equipment.

Some of this will involve a little bit of nerfing but only in moderation and only when it's going to make things more fun for the player (the game's easy enough as it is)

I've never made a mod before so what would be the best way of planning such a project? Figuring out the CS seems easy enough but the actual process of creating it seems more complicated. I figure there's four stages that you'll cycle through: Planning > Implementation > Testing > Release then repeat based on feedback after release. I've started an excel sheet with all the spell effects and I've realised that this is probably going to take me a very long time, in particular inputting the information on to the spreadsheets to plan changes.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 10, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You uh might want to start a little smaller to be honest.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

I've never made a mod before so what would be the best way of planning such a project?

Make a house or a dungeon or something instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Anything that negates reflect his fine by me. It's a massive pain in the rear end especially with enemies added by mods. I can't figure out how to deal with it as a pure mage except by chugging health potions.