Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

So if I've got Martial Arts do I attack with that or Brawl if I'm going unarmed?

Martial Arts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

So if I've got Martial Arts do I attack with that or Brawl if I'm going unarmed?

You roll Martial Arts if you're using that style (crane kick, karate chop, etc). But if you're "just" punching or strangling someone you use Brawl.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I wanna try too

Threads up

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Is anyone still interested?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

I am, just been putting off sending an app :sweatdrop:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah. I'll have a sheet up sometime. I think you forgot to advertise your thread in the TG Game Recruitment sticky though, which may be why no one else has said they are interested. I think most people look there to see if there's a new game than just looking up and down The Game Room.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Upon flicking through the pdf, seeking to create the best Exalted character ever for this game, I notice a little merit called Selective Conception.

What? :psyduck:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Upon flicking through the pdf, seeking to create the best Exalted character ever for this game, I notice a little merit called Selective Conception.

Exalted has always been the game that got everyone on every side of the "is this cheescake/is cheesecake bad"debate to unite over the gross and childish poo poo they do at times.

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah. I'll have a sheet up sometime. I think you forgot to advertise your thread in the TG Game Recruitment sticky though, which may be why no one else has said they are interested. I think most people look there to see if there's a new game than just looking up and down The Game Room.

Yeah that totally slipped my mind, thank you

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

It's a copy-paste of the same merit from 1E and 2E, and I'd be surprised if it isn't cut for space in the version meant for people's hands.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

It's supposed to be for dragon bloods cause their exaltation are genetic and much like that one Fire Emblem incest and selective breeding makes more powerful heroes. It's weird bullshit but it's pretty tame for White Wolf.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I get it being in there for fluff or whatever, but I don't really get why it's something a PC needs to be able to mark on their sheet? Especially in the context of the rest of the merits. If there were a bunch of similar little details it wouldn't come off as weird I think, though it'd definitely change my opinion of the game's tone.

Is there really no "Rival" type Merit or flaw in 3e? I need a blond Liberian ninja to my suave Brazillian Samurai.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
There was also an Enemy/Rival flaw in previous editions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It's supposed to be for dragon bloods cause their exaltation are genetic and much like that one Fire Emblem incest and selective breeding makes more powerful heroes. It's weird bullshit but it's pretty tame for White Wolf.

A DB game where you play as different generations of eugenic supermen by micromanaging your breeding would be really badass.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/3o4xdd/ama_out_of_nowhere/

Ask Holden anything (such as when Exalted 3rd Edition will come out)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

A DB game where you play as different generations of eugenic supermen by micromanaging your breeding would be really badass.

If Paradox wanted to get into making licensed games it would seem like a pretty natural extension of Crusader Kings 2 gameplay

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

quote:

I'm taking a break from Page XX corrections because I've hit the point where all the numbers blur together. Instead, I think I'll answer questions for a bit.
EXALTED: What do you wanna know?
(Edit: This is Holden. Just realized this is the only site where I don't use my real name for a handle, whoops.)

11 days and counting to do a find and replace in Indesign. O-kay

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

11 days and counting to do a find and replace in Indesign. O-kay

I got bored and asked him basically about this, so we will see.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

From when you finished the charms to this final corrections and edits, have you updated any of the rules? Addressed some things like the Ahlat TKO to Brawl bug?
I know some stuff had to hit the cutting room floor to get the book to size. Do you expect these charms to show up in a future Solar's Player's Guide like manual?
How big has the backlog of new material gotten now? I know you have been working DB's and the year 1 books after the core drops. Must be driving you and hatewheel mad.
Do you have a Crafting FAQ in mind already? XD

quote:

1) Not a bug. 2) We didn't cut a single Charm in the course of trimming wordcount. Added some, in fact. 3) 2015 was originally supposed to be the year when Abyssals dropped, man. This project. 4) Everyone will love crafting without a single exception anywhere in all the land!

lmao

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
From all evidence, the Exalted department of Onyx Path seems to be some sort of Lord of the Flies situation where all the people good at PR, game design, and basic editing died in the plane crash, and anything resembling such things is there purely on accident as the survivors attempt to mimic what they vaguely remember all the nerds talking about.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 9, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It certainly seems to be showing some major flaws in their methodology.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I presume Holden's being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell with this anymore.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

I presume Holden's being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell with this anymore.

Yeah, I'm guessing so, but he sounds kind of salty about it regardless.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

And that was the day that Holden Shearer, whether he said it or just felt it, leaned as hard as he possibly could on the fact that it's called an ASK Me Anything and not an I Will Sincerely Answer Anything.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing so, but he sounds kind of salty about it regardless.

True but the fact that I thought most of those sounded possible with these guys is rather indicative. Especially the Aklat TKO one.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

True but the fact that I thought most of those sounded possible with these guys is rather indicative. Especially the Aklat TKO one.

The problem with the Ahlat thing is that it's one specific build going up against an antagonist who had no serious defense against the build. The Southpaw Empress build that got posted on /tg/ has a dicier time against any antagonist with Onslaught negators, including the Fire Immaculate in the antagonists section.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

The problem with the Ahlat thing is that it's one specific build going up against an antagonist who had no serious defense against the build. The Southpaw Empress build that got posted on /tg/ has a dicier time against any antagonist with Onslaught negators, including the Fire Immaculate in the antagonists section.

My problem with this kind of defence is that I'm worried about what happens past chargen when you get some XP under your belt, most enemies probably won't have Onslaught Negators, and I really don't want a game where I can have a repeat of the time a DM in Ex2e one turn killed a player character from surprise, and said it was their fault because they didn't buy a surprise negator, how did they expect to survive?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

My problem with this kind of defence is that I'm worried about what happens past chargen when you get some XP under your belt, most enemies probably won't have Onslaught Negators, and I really don't want a game where I can have a repeat of the time a DM in Ex2e one turn killed a player character from surprise, and said it was their fault because they didn't buy a surprise negator, how did they expect to survive?

Yeah, but from the looks of things, multi-attacks and falling damage are probably going to be reconsidered in their implementation.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's so weird that multi attacks would prove to pose balance problems.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What do you think would be a good houserule on that? Limit the amount of onslaught a guy can get from one source or something?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

What do you think would be a good houserule on that? Limit the amount of onslaught a guy can get from one source or something?

Just give it a once per scene limit or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ferrinus posted:

Insert awkward FFX laugh here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, poo poo, it's two chances to miss, at a minimum.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, for those of you who are in or running a game of 3e , how's it going? I'm having a lot of fun in a campaign where my group and I are building up a lovely little border town on the edge of Ma-Ha-Suchi's territory into a force to be reckoned with.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

So, for those of you who are in or running a game of 3e , how's it going? I'm having a lot of fun in a campaign where my group and I are building up a lovely little border town on the edge of Ma-Ha-Suchi's territory into a force to be reckoned with.

It's getting fun but I think I made my guy kinda useless in combat except for spamming empowering shout haha

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ignore.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 11, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

LGD posted:

If Paradox wanted to get into making licensed games it would seem like a pretty natural extension of Crusader Kings 2 gameplay

So now all the revolts glow and are 10 times as damaging.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The Ahlat 'One Turn killer' build is dumb.

Like it's just loving dumb, it's not dumb in that it works. It's dumb in that it required Ahlat to just go 'okay, you get the first shot' and stand there while you wail on him. You know what that build is actually saying?

'if Ahlat uses no charms and just stands there and takes it then he will lose to this'. It's ignoring stuff like his already there charm that lets him Clash against any attack against him for the rest of the Turn, his army of followers including his Brides, and the fact he literally has a charm that says 'learn any Martial Art for the scene, or even some other stuff.'

Ahlat can learn, say, White Reaper Style (Which uses a Spear), maybe even with Mastery, which then gives him an action long Onslaught Negator. Or he just actives his actual Charm and forces you to Clash every attack. His defense doesn't matter because he's swinging at you as well. Or you manage to do it and you do a good deal of damage. Then a ton of Brides and whatever else fall on your head.

I bet I could beat Sol as an Essence 1 Dawn too if he had all his hands tied behind his back, closed his eyes, and just let me stab him over and over until he died.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Bbbb..but..the math! Why would the devs allow something like lghhdhhhhddhhghjghkvc

*devolves into drooling"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Bbbb..but..the math! Why would the devs allow something like lghhdhhhhddhhghjghkvc

*devolves into drooling"

On top of everything else, the math doesn't work.
Or rather, Thunderbolt Attack Prana doesn't actually function the way the build assumes it functions, so the math is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's really sad to stumble upon a game in which it's the people who are cooking up the crazy combat builds and strict rules interpretations that break the engine wide open are the ones who are full of poo poo, rather than the people who answer with tired "but the roleplaying" apologism.

• Locked thread