Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/652244064587415552

:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I want to believe Jeb! is going for some record on saying stupid poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eh, he could've flubbed that a lot worse, but still

I'd also like to formally eat crow for insisting that the GOP would just hand the nomination to Jeb many months ago. It's obvious they wanted to, but good lord that man

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sounds like he was trying to retell an Onion Joke and hosed it up:

Washington Redskins Change Their Name To The D.C. Redskins

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Kind of funny that when George W Bush gave a speech they would wrangle the protesters into "free speech zones" to keep them away from cameras and the media. Now when Obama gives speeches everyone is waving guns around in front of cameras talking about how he's taking away their freedom. Interesting how times change.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Not sure if this was posted, but the GOP committee on Planned Parenthood found no evidence of wrongdoing!

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/gops_case_against_planned_parenthood_collapses_jason_chaffetz_admits_he_uncovered_no_wrongdoing/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sure they'll announce this at a press conference and quietly disband, their purpose achieved, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, saw on the news earlier today that someone's gonna go into Dearborn and protest the existence of Muslims or something. It's dumb and embarrassing.

It's weird, the other day I saw a promo for Bill Oriley doing a report on how Dearborn got 1/3rd Muslim, of course as if it were some disaster that must be explained. Genuinely wonder if Fox is in this things corner. I was expecting them to ignore it like the do people protesting mosques being built and all.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

I'm sure they'll announce this at a press conference and quietly disband, their purpose achieved, right?

After they bring in every living American who has had an abortion.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not sure if this was posted, but the GOP committee on Planned Parenthood found no evidence of wrongdoing!

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/gops_case_against_planned_parenthood_collapses_jason_chaffetz_admits_he_uncovered_no_wrongdoing/

"But that won't stop us from trying to shut down the government over it!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Chaffetz has a severe case of the rat-face.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Jeb Bush on even more recent spree shootings: "You know what? Like I said, stuff happens. Now watch this drive."

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

JT Jag posted:

He's like a Dick Tracy villain

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

He's also got a crazy background.

-His dad was married to Kitty Dukakis.
-He was once a Jewish Democrat, and then convered to Mormonismas an adult ala Glenn Beck
-Worked for an Amway-style "mutli-level marketing" firm for a DECADE. I presume he was one of the swindlers, not a swindlee.
-Take it from his former boss:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

George W. Bush Enjoying New Status As Smarter Bush

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Freedom Caucus is sticking with Webster and are threatening to deny Ryan the necessary support should he decide to run.

The decision not to recant is problematic. One of Ryan's unofficial conditions is that he have near unanimous support of the caucus before he tries to lead the House.

Incidentally, if Ryan does decide not to run, the race opens up to:

Lynn Westmoreland (Ga.)
Conaway, Peter Roskam (Ill.)
Tom Cole (Okla.)
John Kline (Minn.)
Darrell Issa (Calif.)
Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.)
Jeff Miller (Fla.)
Bill Flores (Texas)
Pete Sessions (Texas)

Which is about 4% of the current conference.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Holy poo poo, the New Yorker is funny.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PostNouveau posted:

-He was once a Jewish Democrat, and then convered to Mormonismas an adult ala Glenn Beck

Mormonismas is the worst holiday, you have to leave out like a glass of water and some butter sandwiches for Mitt Romney

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

quote:

But conservatives strongly disagree with Ryan’s position on immigration and his role in crafting the bipartisan 2013 Ryan-Murray budget deal. He’s been criticized by the far right for being a staunch proponent of immigration reform and his work with Democrats to find a compromise to address the growing number of illegal immigrants living in the U.S.

So now Paul loving Ryan isn't conservative enough for these people? Are they just going to fuss and fight until they nominate supply side Jesus himself?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/06/3709728/american-muslims-brace-for-protests/

So basically a heavily-armed Klan meeting with camos instead of white hoods?

What a xenophobic child. He's openly begging for some non-existent extremist to show up and attack him so he can act out his demented murder fantasy.

This guy really needs professional help.

Of all of the stupid this that came out of this guy's mouth, what struck me the most is that it implies no Muslims ever served in the military. I'd love to see a Muslim Veterans group just come strolling up to make their heads explode.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Riosan posted:

So now Paul loving Ryan isn't conservative enough for these people? Are they just going to fuss and fight until they nominate supply side Jesus himself?

Any faltering, compromise, or minor misstep is enough to condemn a Republican these days as a RINO. It's getting a little unsettling how the Freedom Caucus is moving towards full-Freep.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Any faltering, compromise, minor misstep is enough to condemn a Republican these days as a RINO. It's getting a little unsettling how the Freedom Caucus is moving towards full-Freep.

:crossarms: Uhhhh....they already have, actually.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

AlternateNu posted:

:crossarms: Uhhhh....they already have, actually.

As far as I know, the Freedom Caucus hasn't openly advocated a Final Solution for all Muslims, Mexicans, or Muslim-Mexicans.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

computer parts posted:

Holy poo poo, the New Yorker is funny.

Borowitz is really funny, it's just you usually have to stop reading at the headline

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As far as I know, the Freedom Caucus hasn't openly advocated a Final Solution for all Muslims, Mexicans, or Muslim-Mexicans.

Well, not in public, at least.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Borowitz is really funny, it's just you usually have to stop reading at the headline

daaaamn

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So if Ryan and McCarthy are out then that probably means someone like Webster in the role. I don't know much about that guy but it sounds like a bad idea to have an obstructionist in charge.

What kind of bad case scenario are we looking at if one of the Freedom whatever get's into the Speaker Role?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Congress has largely done nothing at all since 2010 so I would expect more of the same.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hollismason posted:

So if Ryan and McCarthy are out then that probably means someone like Webster in the role. I don't know much about that guy but it sounds like a bad idea to have an obstructionist in charge.

What kind of bad case scenario are we looking at if one of the Freedom whatever get's into the Speaker Role?

Impeachment?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how much more damage they could really do at this point even if they got a wild-eyed zealot elected Speaker.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Would someone from the Freedom Caucus be obstructionist enough to cause a debt default?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Would someone from the Freedom Caucus be obstructionist enough to cause a debt default?

My uninformed suspicion is that Democrats and non-zealot Republicans would bring bills to the floor for a vote over the authority of the speaker. Didn't we just see that happen with the Export-Import Bank?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:siren: Sovereign citizen alert :siren:

quote:

A man accused of two Ypsilanti bank robberies, including one in which the robber sported a black suit and a fedora, will defend himself in court.

Dale Lester Morris, who turned 53 on Sunday, attempted on his own to file a motion disputing the court's jurisdiction, despite still having a public defender, ahead of his scheduled Oct. 8 probable cause hearing in one case and preliminary examination in the another.

He told the court at a previous hearing that he would like to file a motion to dismiss the case, court records show.

Assistant Washtenaw County Prosecutor Brenda Taylor said Morris also sent a letter in which he said it would be a form of usurpation and treason if the county were to proceed in the case.

Morris frequently interrupted 14A-1 District Court Judge Judge J. Cedric Simpson as he tried to explain that there was a process that needed to take place to assure he knew his rights and could defend himself without a public defender.

"I don't need no public defender and I just made a motion to the court for subject matter jurisdiction, which you don't have – which the court doesn't have – and my memorandum of law explains that and my motion," Morris said.

"So if the court decides not to honor it or dismiss this case, we'll go into interlocutory appeal -- I want to go straight to the Michigan Court of Appeals on this matter."

He said he is a citizen of Michigan and the constitution both protects him and supersedes Michigan law, which Taylor was referring to when discussing which rights he needed to be read.

After an extended break for Simpson to review the case, and apparent reluctance to bring the verbally combative defendant back in, Morris told the court that the statute that makes bank robberies illegal is invalid because it does not have an enacting clause, which declares legislative authority.

He also said his constitutional rights were being violated because Simpson would not immediately address subject matter jurisdiction.

Ultimately, Simpson ruled that Morris could represent himself and that the public defender's office would act as standby council. He also ruled that the court would recognize his motion and letter.

A hearing on the motion has been set for Oct. 27 and a new preliminary examination date was set for Nov. 12.

Morris is accused of robbing the Bank of Ann Arbor, 7 W. Michigan Ave., while wearing a fedora on July 8 and robbing Eastern Michigan University Credit Union, 761 Jenness St., while wearing a baseball hat on July 9.

At the time of his arrest in Kansas, Pittsfield Township police named him a person of interest in a robbery of a Comerica Bank on July 10.

Pittsfield Township Deputy Chief Gordon Schick said Morris has refused to speak to detectives, but the investigation is still active.

Michigan Department of Correction records show Morris absconded from parole July 8.

He was previously sentenced in 1999 for conducting a criminal enterprise, fleeing an officer, two counts of felonious assault and felony firearm, according to MDOC records.

The record also shows he has a number of aliases, including Dale Horne, Big Daddy Horne, Killer Money Horne, Calvin Brown, Butch Morris and a number of variations of his name.

Yes, I love it!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Two bombs went off in Ankara, Turkey today which killed a large group of civilians and injured more

Waiting to see who takes credit for this blast

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Why didn't you bold "Morris told the court that the statute that makes bank robberies illegal is invalid"?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any legal problems that could arise from there being no real speaker of the house? Like would that cripple congress entirely or just the schizophrenic freedom caucus parts only?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Boon posted:

Two bombs went off in Ankara, Turkey today which killed a large group of civilians and injured more

Waiting to see who takes credit for this blast

The House Freedom Caucus is taking credit for the attack.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rachel Maddow did a really nice detailed segment on the House Speaker kerfuffle the other night, including its origins in Eric Cantor's ouster because he would have already succeeded Boehner as Speaker if he hadn't lost his seat.

The segment included a number of clips of McCarthy speaking, and there is something WRONG with the guy. He has some kind of weird verbal dyslexia or something where his grammar is all hosed up and he uses inappropriate words, words that don't fit, all the time.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/shock-as-mccarthy-bails-on-speakership-541436483647

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nachos posted:

Impeachment?

Are there enough not-crazies to make that difficult? Just like all you need is 40 crazies to derail the speaker vote, all you need is 40 not-crazies to derail anything as stupid and politically damaging as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hollismason posted:

Webster is probably not going to become Speaker because he has no authority within the conference and would be a transparent Freedom Caucus puppet.

The most probable scenario is Boehner staying on, which is really the worst situation for everyone in the House. Boehner hates his job and will have even less control over his conference now that he has announced his resignation. The Republican Conference simultaneously hates Boehner but can't unite around a candidate that would have enough power to replace him.

There's also a slim chance that Establishment Republicans and moderate Democrats might come together to support a bipartisan caretaker Speaker.

Hollismason posted:

More likely than a week ago, but still very unlikely. Maybe a 15% chance.

sullat posted:

Are there enough not-crazies to make that difficult? Just like all you need is 40 crazies to derail the speaker vote, all you need is 40 not-crazies to derail anything as stupid and politically damaging as that.

A vast majority of the Republican Conference knows that an impeachment proceeding would be political suicide. Short of a Pride's Purge, it isn't happening.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 10, 2015

• Locked thread