Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

I should really play online. But then it's hard to find anyone playing at that level, usually, it just waits for opponents forever.
I think you tried to PM me (I can't receive PMs), but I'm like 18k on kgs and would play when you're up for a game. Just message me on KGS or email me (see sig).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dirby posted:

I think you tried to PM me (I can't receive PMs), but I'm like 18k on kgs and would play when you're up for a game. Just message me on KGS or email me (see sig).

Yep, noted. Course, part of the problem is lack of time to play. :v:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Six years ago I learned a bunch of shapes, but I don't remember the table shape being one of them. Sensei's suggests the name is somewhat new, but was it always an established shape?

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
I don't think it's usually covered in Shapes 101 lectures, but most people are aware of it, if that's what you're asking?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

1 day per move is ideal
Actually even more obvious in hindsight it should've been 12-hour turns, Eurasia vs. Americas.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Tygem 1d not too strong

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i played a tournament at the seattle go center. here are some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/PN2oi

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

That's sweet. Man, look at that loving library, thick rear end floor boards, and that old wise dude on the edges of some of those pictures.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

uranus posted:

i played a tournament at the seattle go center. here are some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/PN2oi

Nice! Especially that first one, the photo of you doing the vulcan greeting.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
cho hunhyun making a strategic move

https://www.facebook.com/1469431086617645/videos/1697107400516678/

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
That is just so wrong.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLFTejVNa0

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
new book

cat had to be involved, of course

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
this has good photoshop aji

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uranus if I didn't already buy someone a new avatar I would change yours immediately that is horrifying.

Also 4k :toot:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWc4XhXHuBM

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG_MaJwlvpQ

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i went on holiday to barcelona and accidentally stumbled and fell into some nerd wargaming store

then as i was about to make my leave before anyone cool saw me i stumbled across this section, screamed like a teenage girl

they had back issues of go world and poo poo. extremely rare and based tomes in that lot

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

:aaa: Where in Barcelona was that store?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

this was it. in fact it's a poor photo because there was even more shelf space - they had the full modern joseki dictionaries as well

https://www.facebook.com/LibreriaGigamesh

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
holy craaaap im so jelly

did you buy anything?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

nah i had to save the euro budget for sangria

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you should've challenged the owner or something

I bet he plays like a motherfucker

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

someone there knows whats up, it was well stocked and had all the classics. plus these aren't exactly easy to find:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

i went on holiday to barcelona and accidentally stumbled and fell into some nerd wargaming store

then as i was about to make my leave before anyone cool saw me i stumbled across this section, screamed like a teenage girl

they had back issues of go world and poo poo. extremely rare and based tomes in that lot

I bet you play warhams

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i used to collect the skeleton dudes when i was a kid but the game itself was incredibly boring, i just liked reading the lore and painting the figurines. these days i mostly just gently caress when i have free time. yeah that's right.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

What do you gently caress with?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDVi89H-pQ

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
can i get an invite to the goon go chat room? KGS name is FamValues

I have some experience with go, because my GF's dad really loves it and when he found out i was at least slightly open to it started getting me to play every time i visited. I know the general rules, some of the terms and all, but haven't played in maybe a year (and even back then i still was barely competent enough to do well at a 9x9). So I'm looking forward to reading all this go poo poo and playing some.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Added

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CatAteSeven posted:

I have some experience with go, because my GF's dad really loves it and when he found out i was at least slightly open to it started getting me to play every time i visited.

it's me I'm the goonish dad

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
play go. its the law

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

[15:13] dirby: Spending most of my time playing a dumb bot has taught me the basics in like the wrong order

First we need to play more games, but if you don't have the time then you'll be kind of hosed. Second you should automatch now because you're able to get games apparently. Just set it to +- 3 stones, you'll find someone. It's not like you have to wait and stare at a blank screen for a game, you can do other things in the meantime! Thirdly, you need to ask people in ITGO for reviews. Fourthly, none of us know the basics. :v:

I looked at your game and it looks significantly less retarded than before.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AdorableStar posted:

First we need to play more games, but if you don't have the time then you'll be kind of hosed.
I don't have too much time, but I do play about two offline games a week. However, I'm about a stone or two better than my opponent, and haven't been recording the moves, so I haven't learned too much from those games.

quote:

Second you should automatch now because you're able to get games apparently.
At the very least, there was a 15k who was willing to play against a 17k that one time, but yeah I'll definitely give that a try whenever I can.

quote:

Thirdly, you need to ask people in ITGO for reviews.
I would have, but my friend was having a party because he just got married. Assuming I don't have friends get married all the time, I should have time to get some reviews.

quote:

I looked at your game and it looks significantly less retarded than before.
Some of my mistakes were painfully clear to me, but some of my early moves were probably too timid in a way I have trouble fixing on my own, IIRC.

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 19, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
do you all record your in person games? seems kind of distracting to write all the moves down.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
I rarely record in-person games, but at tournaments I'll write the record after the game ends. I've seen people record games during the game on tablets/pen and paper, and there was even one dude who had a camera and took pictures every few moves.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Speaking of which, are there any really nice apps to aid in-person Go games? Preferably Android, preferably free.

Features like "taking a picture and getting the score"(like kifu snap but not costing 2 dollars a month forever or Go Scoring Camera without the interface issues), saving an sgf of the game" (anDGS does this), "being a byo-yomi clock", etc. would be nice.

dirby fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 19, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
another awesome game from dwyrins zombie go month. really entertaining games so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yqqEILMJ6k

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I played 4 games today:

Game 1 vs 3k - Didn't fix my shape before attempting to kill something so got rekt
Game 2 vs 5k - The dude made a heavy rear end group as I just made thickness in an area and then decided his 10 stones weren't worth it so tenuki'd twice as I attacked them. He then tried to save it and failed and wrecked all his other poo poo in the process.
Game 3 vs 3k - I didn't make an eye in a semeai against a group so I ended up dying instead of seki.
Game 4 vs 4k - Some dude fell for the driving tesuji about 3 times and let me split a lot of his groups. He then escaped then came back.
Game 5 vs 5k- I had no points and a vague moyo, he invaded at tengen and I had to kill it or lose. He cut one of my groups on the inside and it could've died easily but his L&D sucked so he let me off with two eyes - I was prepared to resign. It went from W+106.5 to B+36 if I die and that's including his random group that also died when it should not have in another area of the board.

How I feel in fights:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy