Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Frog Act posted:

this thread is fantastic but now youtube thinks i'm some kind of extreme bird fan

I am not seeing the problem here TBH

Better than it thinking I like ASMR now at any rate :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ten pages and no chicken lady?!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

My mom's conure does that a lot. He loves crawling into tight spaces like the sleeve of my shirt or the couch cushions.

This bird was the smartest cockateil we had and she would very carefully check under each couch once or check each crack in the deck once and then be satisfied that her task was finished and go back to dozing or eating grass or looking for dad. She would never go under the couch unless she was running from an RC helicopter or something like that.

We owned her contemporaneously with the dumbest cockateil we had, who was roughly twice the size of the smart one but always sitting in the second best spot in the cage or eating the new food second or whatever because the smart one had superior battle tactics like climbing up the side of the cage to gain height before attacking.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

this thread is fantastic but now youtube thinks i'm some kind of extreme bird fan
At one point between the bird threads and the Islam thread my recommendations were a combination of dudes reciting the Qur'an and cockatoos doing funny poo poo, it was sort of weird.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tendai posted:

At one point between the bird threads and the Islam thread my recommendations were a combination of dudes reciting the Qur'an and cockatoos doing funny poo poo, it was sort of weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv_q8wlUmEY

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Frog Act posted:

hahaha yeah same.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is my favorite bird video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KROQSutRXI0

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wow that bird is really good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Wow that bird is really good

Cockateils are usually not that good at singing and they like to remix the songs you teach them a lot but they have a good heart.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uUaxwGOuWN4

:3

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Their coloring makes it look like someone took some markers to them I guess they're tropical?

why's every tropic/jungle bird super bright? does it help that much with camo or do they have enough trees to hide in?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cockateils are usually not that good at singing and they like to remix the songs you teach them a lot but they have a good heart.

Is there a certain sort of parrot that's good at music? I know nothing about birds but they seem like they'd be cool if they didn't poo poo everywhere

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never personally met a lovebird that wasn't an rear end in a top hat, though I am assured by the PI bird thread that they exist

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
OWL TENNIS
OWL TENNIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVVilKIM9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqPDc98Tk_E

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

My mom's conure does that a lot. He loves crawling into tight spaces like the sleeve of my shirt or the couch cushions.

Lol, I just wanted to quote this gif again

Also we had birds in my house growing up, and most of them loving loved burrowing into blankets and towels and couch cushions and whatever. Birds are awesome

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Is there a certain sort of parrot that's good at music? I know nothing about birds but they seem like they'd be cool if they didn't poo poo everywhere

I don't know which birds are good at music. Mynah birds are really good at talking but I'm not sure if they're good at music. Should ask PI I guess

Also if you want a singing bird you have to get a male one. With cockatiels (and some other birds) you can't (as an amateur) tell which one is a male or female until they lay an egg, so make sure you get a sexed bird.

The last two cockatiels we had both had male names but once they hit bird puberty everyone knew they were female due to their behavior. Females like to listen to songs and especially you whistling, they will stop most of whatever they're busy with to give a listen.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 10, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMJKBS-R6U&t=135s

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

Their coloring makes it look like someone took some markers to them I guess they're tropical?

why's every tropic/jungle bird super bright? does it help that much with camo or do they have enough trees to hide in?

Rainforest parrots like bright colors and live high up in the trees so they attract mates by being prettier and don't have to deal with ground based predators. That's probably why even though we only started capturing them relatively recently they're pretty chill and mostly just want to hang out and eat birdseed and dance to pop music

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This is a perfect GIF.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

I saw an experiment one time where they took some little round brown chirpy birds and glued feathers on top of their heads. Like, one feather, about as tall as the head was, sticking straight up, with a dot of glue. The birds with no added feather got to gently caress the smallest number of female birds. The ones with the brown feather got a few more. The ones with the white feather got like six times the cloaca of the featherless birds. The other colors were in the middle.

Birds like fancy feathers and different birds like different colors. It turns out that you do so much more loving if you're a pretty bird than you risk getting eaten (since birds can fly they're not bad at not getting eaten if they pay attention) that it's better to be pretty. Of course in some of these birds the females are dung brown and the guys are bright as gently caress. In others the females are bright too -- often these birds mate for life so attracting a good guy is a bigger deal to them than birds that just change 'em out every year.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Willy wagtail attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8yaMA2irsA

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I saw an experiment one time where they took some little round brown chirpy birds and glued feathers on top of their heads. Like, one feather, about as tall as the head was, sticking straight up, with a dot of glue. The birds with no added feather got to gently caress the smallest number of female birds. The ones with the brown feather got a few more. The ones with the white feather got like six times the cloaca of the featherless birds. The other colors were in the middle.

Birds like fancy feathers and different birds like different colors. It turns out that you do so much more loving if you're a pretty bird than you risk getting eaten (since birds can fly they're not bad at not getting eaten if they pay attention) that it's better to be pretty. Of course in some of these birds the females are dung brown and the guys are bright as gently caress. In others the females are bright too -- often these birds mate for life so attracting a good guy is a bigger deal to them than birds that just change 'em out every year.

I get what you're saying, sorta. But I do, I do.
But have you seen this?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
birds can gently caress off

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
:>

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Get the gently caress out of here

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
willy wagtail attack part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0oZ29273aA

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

SmokaDustbowl posted:

mods?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

basically, gently caress your stupid cup towers

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

A Stupid Baby posted:

This thread makes me want to get a cockatoo or a crow but I doubt it would get along with my dog.

Bird q: Why do birds do such spastic jerky movements when not doing anything? When they're hopping around they move at normal speed but when they're just looking around they jerk so fast you can barely see them move.

There's a chance the crow and dog could unite and work as a team against you too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dont get a pet

youre a goon so youre probably sadbrained

dont bring that upon a poor innocent animal

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol thats so cool

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TKYv2prog

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah tru they mostly like doing bugfuck scat remixes. The one that fully sang the totoro theme earlier in the thread without busting into a 'tiel jazz riff was pretty amazing.

BTW my folks' female 'tiel hates it when the male sings with any human. I cant tell if she considers it cheating or hubris or what, but once he starts going theres a 50% chance she'll attack. If he gets really prideful and spreads his wings/puffs up the chance goes to something like 80%.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This is what I get for saying Doves are the stupidest animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

• Locked thread