Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CommissarMega posted:

Transformers Prime is just good TV all-around, and not just something for Transformers nerds. The first season can get somewhat iffy, but after that, even the humans get cool.

I dunno, I disliked Prime quite a bit. Animated and Beast Wars all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beast Wars was pretty drat good. Its CGI has aged horribly, but the storytelling is as solid as you can possibly expect. Maybe not Steven Universe good, but definitely Gargoyles good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Beast Wars smacks the poo poo out of Steven Universe and I will fight you to the death over childrens cartoons.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serperoth posted:

Just a heads up, the linked pic is a pretty big spoiler. It's pretty great, but you might want your first contact to be in another way.

And the TF Wiki is pretty great. I personally really like this article
I like this one: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mark_Twain

That Article I Just Linked posted:

In the real world, Mark Twain did not know Jules Verne personally. However, he also never had the distinction of fighting a giant mechanical cat from space,[citation needed] so make what you will of the story.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

wiegieman posted:

The TF Wiki mostly avoids the Wookipedia Problem by being very self aware.

their article on Kiss Players is gold, just because it is pretty much them going "what the gently caress is this, what the gently caress is even happenin"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never watched Beast Wars much because it came on too early in the morning.

I did watch the old G1 cartoon on VHS tapes though, and I feel like there's a weird sort of mystique to how utterly bizarre the whole premise of the show is, and how arbitrary all the design decisions are, because they've all been decided in retrospect by writers in order to justify toys that already existed. And in between all of that, there's all sorts of immediately contradictory details.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never watched Beast Wars much because it came on too early in the morning.

I did watch the old G1 cartoon on VHS tapes though, and I feel like there's a weird sort of mystique to how utterly bizarre the whole premise of the show is, and how arbitrary all the design decisions are, because they've all been decided in retrospect by writers in order to justify toys that already existed. And in between all of that, there's all sorts of immediately contradictory details.

So, you're going to expect me to believe Cobra HISS tanks were only pink to match the toys, not because Cobra Commander was not only declaring war on G.I Joe, but breast cancer too?

Seriously?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cooked Auto posted:

:stare: That's kind of impressive in a really weird obsessive way.

The Transformers fandom can be pretty self aware: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Transformers Prime is just good TV all-around, and not just something for Transformers nerds. The first season can get somewhat iffy, but after that, even the humans get cool.

From what I can glean from the fandom(and his wiki page)

Prime also has the most competent Starscream. Too bad his robo form has heels combat stilettos.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Onmi posted:

I dunno, I disliked Prime quite a bit. Animated and Beast Wars all the way

I have to admit, I couldn't get into Animated because Prime's V/A wasn't Peter Cullen, and he seemed... 'younger' for lack of a better word. Beast Wars was awesome though.

PhazonLink posted:

Prime also has the most competent Starscream. Too bad his robo form has heels combat stilettos.

Holy poo poo, yeah. I know Steve Blum's been in everything, but if he's famous for a role other than Spike, it should be Starscream. I'm not kidding, Starscream is bloody amazing in Prime, and somehow manages to swing between the wheedling sycophant we all know and love, to a genuine threat at times.Also, I think Prime Soundwave's the scariest Decepticon, next to Megatron,

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah. I know Steve Blum's been in everything, but if he's famous for a role other than Spike, it should be Starscream. I'm not kidding, Starscream is bloody amazing in Prime, and somehow manages to swing between the wheedling sycophant we all know and love, to a genuine threat at times.Also, I think Prime Soundwave's the scariest Decepticon, next to Megatron,
Don't forget Soundwave. He only said one thing the entire time and he was right.

Starscream actually has a good character arc though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

PhazonLink posted:

From what I can glean from the fandom(and his wiki page)

Prime Starscream takes the pro-activeness of Animated Starscream and adds in even more competence. Megatron actually lets him back in the Decepticon ranks after kicking him out purely on the grounds of how clever and resourceful he can be; better he be at Megatron's side than an unknown that could trash his plans yet again (as in not out of incompetence, rather because Starscream is a threat).

Animated has the second best Megatron though, after Beast Wars.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Prime Starscream also has great comedy bits. Like when he lost his balls t-cog.

Oh and someone please post the Starscream Dancing.gif

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EponymousMrYar posted:

Don't forget Soundwave. He only said one thing the entire time and he was right.

I didn't :colbert:

StrifeHira posted:

Megatron actually lets him back in the Decepticon ranks after kicking him out purely on the grounds of how clever and resourceful he can be; better he be at Megatron's side than an unknown that could trash his plans yet again (as in not out of incompetence, rather because Starscream is a threat).

Yeah, that's what I like about Prime's Decepticons, even though they do have a tendency to get their asses kicked (I think the Autobots had only one casualty through the entire series?)- any Decepticon capable of surviving the grinder is legitimately a massive badass. Hell, IIRC in the Prime continuity Soudnwave actually beat Megatron (when the latter was still Megatronus) in single combat! That shouldn't be achievable by anyone not Optimus Prime!

EDIT: gently caress, we're not even discussing good games now, are we? :v:

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome, we've finally reached the inevitable "post your favorite TFWiki article quotes" part of the Watchunderscoredogs LP:

quote:

The English Romanization of his name was a debated topic for quite some time, with interpretations including "Violenjiger", "Violent Jiger", "Violent Chigger", "Violen Jig-er", "Violin Juggler", "Bio Ranger Iga", and the ever-popular "Valium Chugger". The publication of The Ark II finally provided us with an official spelling.

(From http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Violen_Jiger)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2t4MBhGAg8

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tunahead posted:

Awesome, we've finally reached the inevitable "post your favorite TFWiki article quotes" part of the Watchunderscoredogs LP:

My favorite tfwiki article is probably always going to be the article on scale . Every picture/caption combo on there is gold.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about Wookiepedia is that they have an article for breasts.

I feel as though it's pretty damning that Star Wars fans might not know what those are.

I'll not link it because it's very very slightly NSFW but it's easy to find on that wiki itself.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

He straight-up KILLS a guy in the first episode. Like, stabs Cliffjumper through the chest with his needle-like hands. And Cliff was a fakeout protagonist who looked like he was going to be a recurring cast member.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

He straight-up KILLS a guy in the first episode. Like, stabs Cliffjumper through the chest with his needle-like hands. And Cliff was a fakeout protagonist who looked like he was going to be a recurring cast member.

Tell me about it! Like I said, the Decepticon main cast are a collection of stone-cold killers. It's easy to see why they were willing to keep a war going millions of years, long after whatever they initially fought for had been destroyed.

Also, I was surfing the TF wiki, and came across this pic from one of the comic series- it's a holographic driver for Optimus when he has to go incognito. Look familiar?:

It's Peter Cullen, Optimus's voice actor :neckbeard:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tunahead posted:

My favorite Japanese TF name is Rartorata, because nobody even knows what the gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That is a good wiki page.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Aurain posted:

On the other hand the Wookiepedia also got this article which shows at least some self awareness, and is an amusing read as well.

Which instantly wraps around to the current Transformers disuccsion because the page readily admits it's taken from here

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Aurain posted:

The TFWiki has a similar page.(tee hee.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I have to admit, I couldn't get into Animated because Prime's V/A wasn't Peter Cullen, and he seemed... 'younger' for lack of a better word. Beast Wars was awesome though.

No that's because his VA was David Kaye. As in Beast Wars Megatrons Voice Actor. He also was 'younger' since the entire point of Animated was examining an Optimus Prime who was not the overall leader of the autobots and infallible good guy. Instead he was someone who had to emerge and become the hero that Optimus Prime is. Going from Megatron not even acknowledging his existence to his all encompassing rage related to Prime.

It was an interesting take, and I liked it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is Animated the one where Bumblebee was Robo-Sonichu?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is Animated the one where Bumblebee was Robo-Sonichu?

I don't know how to respond to that statement.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The one where he was a small really fast yellow robot with electric powers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The one where he was a small really fast yellow robot with electric powers.

Sort of? he doesn't have electric powers he just has tasers for hands.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Sort of? he doesn't have electric powers he just has tasers for hands.

Isn't a Pikachu really just a mouse with a taser?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

My personal favorite page is The many deaths of Optimus Prime.

The best line? "Once again, practically all we know about this Optimus is that he died."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
About that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

Here's a 9 year old video about Optimus Prime reverse-dying.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Here's a scene where Starscream dies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo7-02kedBY

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Here are some happy scenes with rather, lovable medical bot from Animated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuKIey3a5U

Also, Guitar Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6unfoqFkB4

Animated was a good show.

EDIT: Also JAM Project did some music for the japanese dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8T_A0-JGok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-eoXh9My0

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Also JAM Project did some music for the japanese dub

I can't believe you brought that up without mentioning that Emperor Wakamoto voiced Megatron in Transformers Animated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9FqfbdoKnw
OPUTIMAS PRRRRRRRIIIIIIIMUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQOtLRidSXE
STAAAAAAAASCRIIIIIIIIIMUUUUUUUUU!!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
so, uh, how 'bout them watch dogs?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watch_Dogs is poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The adventures of Aiden "The Fox" "The Vigilante" "Uncle-dad" "I Forget Who I'm Fighting" Pearce

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aiden should transform into a good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watchin' dogs.

• Locked thread