Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

pixaal posted:

Wouldn't walking through a beer mist make you all sticky?

I'm sure the dwarfs don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A baby got really angry cause someone it knew died in a siege, so the baby ripped out all the teeth of the nearby clothier eating in the dining hall and i had to get the military to put down the baby.

WELL, that just happened.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

pixaal posted:

Wouldn't walking through a beer mist make you all sticky?

Not if you lick it all off.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

So Math posted:

Which workshop can I order a golden lute at?

If you get lucky and get a demon merchant from another civilization they'll generally offer a selection of golden instruments for trade.

The price can be pretty steep though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dongattack posted:

A baby got really angry cause someone it knew died in a siege, so the baby ripped out all the teeth of the nearby clothier eating in the dining hall and i had to get the military to put down the baby.

i love this game

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The Dwarven Rapper strikes the Goblin Singer in the psyche with his +sick burn+ bruising the Id through the weak retort.
The Goblin Singer is stunned.
The Dwarven Rapper slices the Goblin Singer in the self esteem with his +heritage joke+ and the severed part flies off in an arc.
The Goblin Singer loses hold of the ~pun~
The Goblin Singer is having trouble breathing!
The Dwarven Rapper strikes the Goblin Singer in the ego with his +sick burn+ tearing apart the Id, shattering the Ego and tearing apart the Super Ego through the weak retort.
The Goblin Singer has died of shame.
Urist McOnlooker says "It is terrifying".

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

@Bay12Games posted:

As promised some time ago, we made sure that ambushing and sieging forces can experience music today. Of course, they tend to interrupt...

See, now he's developing historically accurate sieges

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Wee baby Urist, no!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How big do you guys make your embarks? I was considering 2x2 in my next fort for the FPS, but I'm thinking invaders will be too close to properly react to them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I do a lot of driving for work and my X-wing podcasts are running low. Are there any podcasts that deal with DF, even if it's only a few actual episodes?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Dongattack posted:

How big do you guys make your embarks? I was considering 2x2 in my next fort for the FPS, but I'm thinking invaders will be too close to properly react to them.

Depends on your system, the resources you need, and what terrain you're going into.

If the only way I can get iron, flux and a volcano is by doing a 4x4 embark, then so be it. But then again my system can generally handle it.

If the area you are looking at is a desert, then by all means go larger. If it's heavily forested? Go smaller.

I usually try for 3x3.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dongattack posted:

I was considering 2x2 in my next fort for the FPS, but I'm thinking invaders will be too close to properly react to them.

Dig deeper. When playing small, I usually set up a temporary fort where I start, and then make tunnel to the place I plan to actually establish myself in, and work on from there. The initial fort can later be turned into a maze/killzone if you want to.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hooman posted:

The Dwarven Rapper strikes the Goblin Singer in the psyche with his +sick burn+ bruising the Id through the weak retort.
The Goblin Singer is stunned.
The Dwarven Rapper slices the Goblin Singer in the self esteem with his +heritage joke+ and the severed part flies off in an arc.
The Goblin Singer loses hold of the ~pun~
The Goblin Singer is having trouble breathing!
The Dwarven Rapper strikes the Goblin Singer in the ego with his +sick burn+ tearing apart the Id, shattering the Ego and tearing apart the Super Ego through the weak retort.
The Goblin Singer has died of shame.
Urist McOnlooker says "It is terrifying".

This is a yak wool sweater. On it is a covering of vomit. In the vomit is the remnants of ☼mom's spaghetti☼

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

TheCIASentMe posted:

Depends on your system, the resources you need, and what terrain you're going into.

If the only way I can get iron, flux and a volcano is by doing a 4x4 embark, then so be it. But then again my system can generally handle it.

If the area you are looking at is a desert, then by all means go larger. If it's heavily forested? Go smaller.

I usually try for 3x3.

My computer is not very good at games that only use a single CPU core and is very CPU reliant. It's super annoying since those are the games i enjoy the most these days :v:
I like building elaborate surface castles, which is pretty undwarven of me i'll admit, so i think i'll go down to 3x3 (last fort was 4x4) instead of 2x2 and hope for the best.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Dongattack posted:

My computer is not very good at games that only use a single CPU core and is very CPU reliant. It's super annoying since those are the games i enjoy the most these days :v:
I like building elaborate surface castles, which is pretty undwarven of me i'll admit, so i think i'll go down to 3x3 (last fort was 4x4) instead of 2x2 and hope for the best.

Yeah, if your computer is having difficulty, go for a slightly smaller area. It's pretty drastic how dropping from a 4x4 to even a 4x3 is. 3x3 should run much better for a lot longer.

And as I mentioned before, try to avoid embarking in areas that are heavily forested. Trees can kill your framerate and chopping them all down isn't actually helpful in this case since you'll just end up making more logs your computer will have to keep track of.

Also turn off weather and avoid areas with moving water. Another tip is to reduce the amount of sky by changing the levels_above_ground setting to 2 or 3. This won't impact your game greatly but if you get birds on your map it reduces the amount of pathing that they can do and keeps them close enough that you can kill them if they're trouble.

Lets see, other tips for FPS maximizing.... Reduce the number of civilizations in your world or better yet generate smaller worlds in general. Wash your dwarves, that way they won't have layers of blood and puke which have to be kept track of by the cpu.

Oh and if you haven't already, go ahead and get DFHack. Even ignoring the cheating functions, the simple fact that you can set animal limits (ie, you can tell DFHack to keep 5 chickens and 2 chicks around at all times) and it will auto butcher the rest is fantastic.

If you're still having FPS issues after doing all of the above, then kill all the grazing animals that you have. Having them path about eating is just sucking up the cpu for really little benefit. If you really need the wool, keep a couple sheep but off the rest. (Whether or not you should kill pets is a bit more difficult. Killing them might cause the owners to cry which would create tears layers which would again, take up precious CPU cycles.)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

TheCIASentMe posted:

(Whether or not you should kill pets is a bit more difficult. Killing them might cause the owners to cry which would create tears layers which would again, take up precious CPU cycles.)

My favorite thing about this post is looking at this last statement, thinking it's a joke, and then having to stop and wonder if I've ever noticed 'tears' as one of the grime substances on an entity. In all seriousness, I'd be shocked if letting animals roam around was less CPU-intensive than the horrible layers of blood and vomit they'll leave from being hunted down; I don't think dwarves (currently) check their own hygiene very often, and I don't think the game does MUCH with smearing (yet).

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

My favorite thing about this post is looking at this last statement, thinking it's a joke, and then having to stop and wonder if I've ever noticed 'tears' as one of the grime substances on an entity. In all seriousness, I'd be shocked if letting animals roam around was less CPU-intensive than the horrible layers of blood and vomit they'll leave from being hunted down; I don't think dwarves (currently) check their own hygiene very often, and I don't think the game does MUCH with smearing (yet).

It was a joke but no, the game does have layers of tears if a dwarf gets upset enough to cry.

The hygiene is actually important because dwarves will track blood smears (and other worse stuff) all over the place which does have to be tracked and does take up processor resources.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do a 'clean all' in DFhack every few in-game years. Sometimes improves FPS as much as 5-10 frames, which isn't bad when you're down to 50-60.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DFHack also has an auto clean plugin that gets rid of stuff like that. Whether you consider that cheating is up to you but given the very small chance of a Dwarf actually taking time to clean a place, I don't think of it as cheating.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

DFHack also has an auto clean plugin that gets rid of stuff like that. Whether you consider that cheating is up to you but given the very small chance of a Dwarf actually taking time to clean a place, I don't think of it as cheating.

Oh yeah, I forgot DFHack does that.

One more reason to never play without. The only time I'd consider that cheating is if a forgotten beast with dangerous dust had wandered in and you were getting rid of the dust with it.

No no, that's the time you assign your mayor or baron or whatever noble to cleanup duties.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is a yak wool sweater. On it is a covering of vomit. In the vomit is the remnants of ☼mom's spaghetti☼

:perfect:

seriously this post is very underrated

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I do a lot of driving for work and my X-wing podcasts are running low. Are there any podcasts that deal with DF, even if it's only a few actual episodes?

You ever listen to DFTalk?

They haven't done any episodes in almost a year, but it's a program that features Tarn talking about the development of Dwarf Fortress. It's absolutely great listening to him describe a lot of the thinking behind the game. :allears:

Seriously, check it out - I'd recommend listening to them all, in order.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best way to preserve FPS is to embark in a desert/badland/glacier where there are no loving trees

:argh: treeeeees!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
The latest Dwarf fortress has been particularly crashy for me, but judicious saving has made it playable, however it's now crashing upon embark every time, which is demoralizing as gently caress after all the time advancing and finding the spot on the map I have to go through every time, is there some kind of fix for this?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

axelsoar posted:

The latest Dwarf fortress has been particularly crashy for me, but judicious saving has made it playable, however it's now crashing upon embark every time, which is demoralizing as gently caress after all the time advancing and finding the spot on the map I have to go through every time, is there some kind of fix for this?

You've got something buggy with your particular download of dwarf fortress.

Have you tried downloading a new copy? And have you made any modifications to the game? Are you using any of the tools like DFHack or Therapist?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a DFHack way to automate cutting and encrusting gems? There's so many different kinds and menus.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

Is there a DFHack way to automate cutting and encrusting gems? There's so many different kinds and menus.

You can use the workflow plugin for that. It comes with DFhack so you don't need to dl anything else.

It's an amazing plugin that lets you set up standing work orders (like always maintain a stock of drinks at X level) and things like that. One of the first things I do is set an order to always have 10 mechanisms on hand so I don't ever have to worry about not having enough (assuming there are enough rocks around of course).

imo it's easier to set up from the game itself with the hotkey because there's a GUI menu (and the command line never seems to work for me) but you can do it either way - from the DFhack console or by highlighting an existing order (ie, cut gem) and hitting the hotkey. Which I believe is ctrl-w by default but not sure.

It'll ask if you want to make it a repeating task, say yes, then you can set a range. Top number is what you want the stock to be at, bottom number is when you want them to start making stuff - IE 30-50 means 'I want 50 drinks, when it gets down to 30 start making more.' It can do some other stuff, too.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 9, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

TheCIASentMe posted:

You've got something buggy with your particular download of dwarf fortress.

Have you tried downloading a new copy? And have you made any modifications to the game? Are you using any of the tools like DFHack or Therapist?

That worked, now in my latest fortress all of like 7 down vertically I have broken into a cave, which is the earliest I have ever done that, and now all of my fortress is punching a unconscious bat amd the miners on the other side are dying of thirst. I finally found the one person who is neither compelled to jump into the fray nor run in terror from a blacked out foe in order to give water to folks, but this thing will not die, at all, I have no military to speak of and about 40 civilian dwarves are punching this thing.

Why the gently caress is it so hard to get a single dwarf to pick up a battle axe and take a swing at this thing, this is the worst.

edit:

Moridin920 posted:

You can use the workflow plugin for that. It comes with DFhack so you don't need to dl anything else.

It's an amazing plugin that lets you set up standing work orders (like always maintain a stock of drinks at X level) and things like that. One of the first things I do is set an order to always have 10 mechanisms on hand so I don't ever have to worry about not having enough (assuming there are enough rocks around of course).

imo it's easier to set up from the game itself with the hotkey because there's a GUI menu (and the command line never seems to work for me) but you can do it either way - from the DFhack console or by highlighting an existing order (ie, cut gem) and hitting the hotkey. Which I believe is ctrl-w by default but not sure.

It'll ask if you want to make it a repeating task, say yes, then you can set a range. Top number is what you want the stock to be at, bottom number is when you want them to start making stuff - IE 30-50 means 'I want 50 drinks, when it gets down to 30 start making more.' It can do some other stuff, too.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff that you should be able to do in the game proper, at least once you have a book-keeper or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

axelsoar posted:

That worked, now in my latest fortress all of like 7 down vertically I have broken into a cave, which is the earliest I have ever done that, and now all of my fortress is punching a unconscious bat amd the miners on the other side are dying of thirst. I finally found the one person who is neither compelled to jump into the fray nor run in terror from a blacked out foe in order to give water to folks, but this thing will not die, at all, I have no military to speak of and about 40 civilian dwarves are punching this thing.

Why the gently caress is it so hard to get a single dwarf to pick up a battle axe and take a swing at this thing, this is the worst.

Draft a squad of civilians real quick and assign the weapon to them. If they're already engaged in combat they probably won't stop to go get it though.

Draft your miners and just do 'personal choice melee weapon' for the weapon assignment (which is the default anyway I think). They should use the pickaxes they already have in hand, and the mining skill counts as a combat skill when they are attacking something with a pickaxe. They should make short work of the bat.

Cheating (I guess): if nothing is working you can use DFhack to just kill it; 'kill him' with the cursor over it I think

axelsoar posted:

Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff that you should be able to do in the game proper, at least once you have a book-keeper or something.

Yup, and that's one of the many reasons people don't like the DF interface. There's another DFhack plugin that lets you shoot siege engines in any direction (including aiming at different Z-levels) and the bolts/ammo arcs like it should (more or less) - that's another one I can't do without because otherwise siege weapons are basically useless (they'll only shoot in a straight line on the current z-level; even the catapults).

Incidentally workflow is also great for bolts/arrows, doors, clothes, anything you need to constantly go make more of.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, but you still have to make individual orders for all the types of gems, i was hoping more for something like "Cut All Gems", "Encrust Rock Crafts With All Gems".

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Yeah, but you still have to make individual orders for all the types of gems, i was hoping more for something like "Cut All Gems", "Encrust Rock Crafts With All Gems".

The job-material plugin (alt-a) can do that, by changing the material type of a specific cutting/encrusting job into 'any material'. I think that leaving the item type as 'rough gem' will even prevent your jeweller from cutting all your coal and ores into beautiful gemstones when doing this.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mygna posted:

The job-material plugin (alt-a) can do that, by changing the material type of a specific cutting/encrusting job into 'any material'. I think that leaving the item type as 'rough gem' will even prevent your jeweller from cutting all your coal and ores into beautiful gemstones when doing this.

Hah, neat, i'll try that. Thanks.

edit: yeah, this totally works, man, DFHack is so sweet

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

You ever listen to DFTalk?

They haven't done any episodes in almost a year, but it's a program that features Tarn talking about the development of Dwarf Fortress. It's absolutely great listening to him describe a lot of the thinking behind the game. :allears:

Seriously, check it out - I'd recommend listening to them all, in order.

I did find that, been listening to the last few episodes, they seem alright. I didn't start at the beginning, figured those were too out of date.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey guys peep this

Toady One posted:

I'm going on down the list. You can make clothing and armor for non-dwarfy critters now. A few promises managed: I've got goblins back on beak dogs (there were multiple problems there -- one was that they were very rare, and one was that the goblins kept butchering them), and people that aren't actively spectating (including invaders/ambushers) can still experience music around them. Cleaned up dancing patterns -- cats and other critters were already getting in the way, and then I made the patterns a little more dynamic, so the interruptions became worse. Now animals get pushed aside, which is pretty amusing when kitty cats keep reintroducing themselves into the dance. And so on.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

scamtank posted:

Toady One posted:

there were multiple problems there -- one was that they were very rare, and one was that the goblins kept butchering them

Is toady absolutely sure that these problems weren't heavily linked?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Say Akir, does that tiger look like it's plated with bronze to yoAAAAAAAARGH

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

scamtank posted:

Hey guys peep this

Just like a cat to get in the way of something important, huh?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did find that, been listening to the last few episodes, they seem alright. I didn't start at the beginning, figured those were too out of date.

Eh, some of the stuff is out of date in that it's been implemented in some way since the episodes were recorded, but hearing Tarn talk about it is great. v:shobon:v

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

scamtank posted:

Hey guys peep this

Toady One posted:

You can make clothing and armor for non-dwarfy critters now.

10 to 1 odds: Cat armor is the first thing being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wardogs armoured in cat leather and bone armour :smugdog: