Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

sullat posted:

Are there enough not-crazies to make that difficult? Just like all you need is 40 crazies to derail the speaker vote, all you need is 40 not-crazies to derail anything as stupid and politically damaging as that.

Maybe, but I feel like the right wing media pressure would be enormous and it would be difficult for a Republican to indirectly defend Obama. With the primaries going on I'm sure the candidates would throw their weight behind it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

The most probable scenario is Boehner staying on, which is really the worst situation for everyone in the House. Boehner hates his job and will have even less control over his conference now that he has announced his resignation. The Republican Conference simultaneously hates Boehner but can't unite around a candidate that would have enough power to replace him.

I disagree. Boehner has been weak because he's always had the concern about what might prompt a revolt. Now, he doesn't care and can do whatever he wants because the only way to get rid of him is agree on a new speaker, and he's fine with leaving.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

evilweasel posted:

I disagree. Boehner has been weak because he's always had the concern about what might prompt a revolt. Now, he doesn't care and can do whatever he wants because the only way to get rid of him is agree on a new speaker, and he's fine with leaving.

Can they vacate the chair without electing a new Speaker?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Can they vacate the chair without electing a new Speaker?

Not without amending the rules, which would be harder than electing a new speaker. It's arguable that the constitution requires a speaker at all times, since the constitution mentions that the house selects the position, but literally every detail about the position is left up to the house rules.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why didn't you bold "Morris told the court that the statute that makes bank robberies illegal is invalid"?

Learn this one weird trick for breaking the law! Judges hate it!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

nachos posted:

Impeachment?

Man I hope so. While it would be bad for the nation at large, I toxxed that Obama would eventually get impeached and don't want to lose ten bux. Before now that was starting to look like a pretty bad bet!

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

QuoProQuid posted:

A vast majority of the Republican Conference knows that an impeachment proceeding would be political suicide. Short of a Pride's Purge, it isn't happening.

Yeah, but they knew that in 1997 and it didn't stop them. And if anything, they've gotten more combative and more willing to die on stupid stupid right-wing causes since then.

I honestly think there's a decent chance the next Speaker allows a vote to impeach in exchange for Freedom Caucus support on other issues.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What the hell would they even try to impeach ON?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
What's the chance of the establishment GOP going "we're sick of this poo poo" and not funding or supporting (or even allowing) crazy tea party assholes in their (re)election bids? Basically forcing them to run as a 3rd party?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Night10194 posted:

Occupying the white house while black.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Night10194 posted:

PWB.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

What's the chance of the establishment GOP going "we're sick of this poo poo" and not funding or supporting (or even allowing) crazy tea party assholes in their (re)election bids? Basically forcing them to run as a 3rd party?

Super PACs will fund them. There's a billionaire for everyone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Super PACs will fund them. There's a billionaire for everyone.
Well sure, but can't the party itself say "you're not a Republican, go run as a LIbertarian" or something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Well sure, but can't the party itself say "you're not a Republican, go run as a LIbertarian" or something?

They generally do not have that power, unless the person in question is registered under a different party.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Also, even in more establishment friendly districts the GOP relies on the votes of tea party types. If they were openly told to gently caress off, the republicans couldn't win. There would need to be a party realignment to make the republicans nationally competitive again if any of the major constituencies pulled out now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

To be fair they impeached Clinton too.

Who some say was actually the first black president because he played the saxophone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

They generally do not have that power, unless the person in question is registered under a different party.
Huh. So anyone, as long as they are not officially registered with another party, can register as a Republican and then run for a seat? Since it's a membership thing I would think the party itself would have more control over their membership.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Huh. So anyone, as long as they are not officially registered with another party, can register as a Republican and then run for a seat? Since it's a membership thing I would think the party itself would have more control over their membership.

In most cases yes. Of course you usually need to get enough signatures on a petition or whatever to guarantee being on the primary ballot.

For instance, in New Jersey to get on the primary ballot for any party in a US House seat, you must get the signatures of 200 registered voters from the congressional district . To get on the primary ballot for a US Senate seat, you must get the signatures of 1000 voters in the state who are members of the applicable political party.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 10, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

QuoProQuid posted:

A vast majority of the Republican Conference knows that an impeachment proceeding would be political suicide. Short of a Pride's Purge, it isn't happening.

What do you mean by "political suicide"? Lose the house? The house GOP caucus could all run around naked on the mall throwing their feces at each other and still not lose the house.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

To be fair they impeached Clinton too.

Who some say was actually the first black president because he played the saxophone.

I thought they called him black because he was being harassed by the man for no good reason?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

evilweasel posted:

Also, if we end up in a position where Boehner is sticking around, it would become clear at that point that the Tea Coast people don't have the votes to get a new speaker in. So, yeah, at that point he would be weirdly immune to anything, because the point at which Boehner sticks around is the point at which there's no other viable option to get the votes for the Speakership.

mcmagic posted:

What do you mean by "political suicide"? Lose the house? The house GOP caucus could all run around naked on the mall throwing their feces at each other and still not lose the house.

Lose the presidential election.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
These statutes are invalid *opens coat*

No YOUR statutes are invalid because my fedora is bigger than yours *cue music*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bob Ojeda posted:

1) They are going to lose it anyway.

2) The house GOP caucus couldn't possibly care if they win the presidency or not. In fact they probably PREFER to lose it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So thanks to Ben Carson, here's an opinion piece on Fox News about how the Holocaust was the Jews' fault for giving up their guns.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So this means we get to have another recession with default dancing because gerrymandering has gotten completely out of control?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not sure if this was posted, but the GOP committee on Planned Parenthood found no evidence of wrongdoing!

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/gops_case_against_planned_parenthood_collapses_jason_chaffetz_admits_he_uncovered_no_wrongdoing/

Which is why, just like with Benghazi, they've opened a new committee to investigate the issue from scratch.

One of these days, they'll crack that case open! It just FEELS like they're doing something illegal (they are liberals after all and liberals are always doing something illegal), so they'll just have to keep looking until they find out what that thing is!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

mcmagic posted:

1) They are going to lose it anyway.

Really?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bob Ojeda posted:

Republicans still all but swept the Senate after the last shutdown. Voters aren't watching what's going on now and it won't matter in a year, even without an Obamacare screw up.

Mitt Romney openly stated he didn't care about the opinion of 47% of the country and still got within 3% of winning the popular vote.

Republicans in the House know this and it's why the Freedom Caucus is doing what it is. They get rewarded for shutting down the government? Guess we just need to shutdown harder and the presidency will be OURS!

Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 10, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans still all but swept the Senate after the last shutdown.

Yes, because midterms are exactly the same thing as Presidential elections.

Also, funny thing: the Senators coming up for election next year are all from 2010, not from 2008.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm normally the last person to pull the anti-Semitism card, but in my opinion, it really is straight-up anti-Semitism to argue that if the Jews had just, like, got guns and tried harder, they might not have all been killed. When an entire society and its professionally trained and equipped military has decided you, and everyone like you, are going to die, it's already too late. Especially given that, thanks to the principle of collective punishment, the killing of a single Nazi was justification enough for wiping out entire towns of people.

Which they were able to do pretty easily. With their guns.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm normally the last person to pull the anti-Semitism card, but in my opinion, it really is straight-up anti-Semitism to argue that if the Jews had just, like, got guns and tried harder, they might not have all been killed. When an entire society and its professionally trained and equipped military has decided you, and everyone like you, are going to die, it's already too late. Especially given that, thanks to the principle of collective punishment, the killing of a single Nazi was justification enough for wiping out entire towns of people.

Which they were able to do pretty easily. With their guns.

The French had guns, how'd that work out for them?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah stupid Jews didn't even try to fight back.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

For non phone posters

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They don't have any good general election candidates and Democrats have a huge structural advantage, so yeah.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Boon posted:

The French had guns, how'd that work out for them?

They even had vastly superior guns to the germans.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Asproigerosis posted:

They even had vastly superior guns to the germans.

They were just really loving bad at using their tanks.

And at warfare in general at the time. The psychological damage from their horrendous casualties in WW1 was still affecting them when German armor was rolling through the low countries.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Night10194 posted:

Benghazi, obviously.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

The segment included a number of clips of McCarthy speaking, and there is something WRONG with the guy. He has some kind of weird verbal dyslexia or something where his grammar is all hosed up and he uses inappropriate words, words that don't fit, all the time.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/shock-as-mccarthy-bails-on-speakership-541436483647

Yeah it seems like uhhhhhhh maybe if the job title starts w/ the word Speaker, one important qualification might be the ability to put coherent sentences together. Like not even good sentences that say good things and advocate sane policies that benefit the country, more like what nouns and verbs are and what's up w/ them.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

People in the comments are actually arguing that if the Warsaw Ghetto fighters had only had more guns, they...might have won? Somehow?

In my Holocaust head canon, the Jews get nukes, which is why I'm for global nuclear rearmament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans still all but swept the Senate after the last shutdown. Voters aren't watching what's going on now and it won't matter in a year, even without an Obamacare screw up.

Mitt Romney openly stated he didn't care about the opinion of 47% of the country and still got within 3% of winning the popular vote.

Republicans in the House know this and it's why the Freedom Caucus is doing what it is. They get rewarded for shutting down the government? Guess we just need to shutdown harder and the presidency will be OURS!

Mid term electorates aren't Presidential electorates, and the structure of Senate races is different (which states are up, small state bias, etc)

3% is a huge margin in modern politics. Mitt Romney wasn't ever in sniffing distance of the Oval Office.

Whatever loving putz they roll up against HRC is going to get similarly drubbed, unless Barack Obama rapes and kills a small child live in the Oval or something.

• Locked thread