Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Monkey posted:

This was just a test run to try and get the park signed off on and they didn't want them to waste a bunch of time with the threat of something bad happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Watching Wreck-it Ralph: "King Candy sounds a hell of a lot like the Mad Hatter... but that was in the 50's, right? That guy must be on his last legs..."

Turns out Alan Tudyk (the voice of King Candy) just has his Ed Wynn (the voice of the Mad Hatter) impression down pat. Wow. It's clear that they modeled the one after the other, but the voice really makes it.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/giving-voice-to-an-oldtimer-20130426-2ijn4.html

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like there's some Charles Nelson Riley in there as well.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A nice subtle joke in Young Frankenstein is the city council having a meeting to decide if Victor his making a new monster. One of the elders, unhappy with the accusations, try to remind everyone of the seriousness of the charges by saying that he and the other elders still have nightmares from 5 times before. Which makes it a pretty foregone conclusion that Victor will indeed make another monster.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

At the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the cartoon director Raoul gets mad at Roger for not being able to make stars orbit his head when a fridge drops on it.

Toward the end, Roger gets a literal ton of bricks dropped on him which causes stars to appear. Roger, in a daze, says "ready when you are, Raoul."

*Also, when Judge Doom is melting, I swear he starts yelling "what a world"

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Oct 10, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

:raise: Am i missing a joke? Of course he does.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HenryEx posted:

its p subtle though, like the fact that Bob Hoskins isn't drawn, he's a real guy in real life.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

HenryEx posted:

As does every other melting cartoon character ever since the Wicked Witch first said it in The Wizard of Oz.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

its p subtle though, like the fact that Bob Hoskins isn't drawn, he's a real guy in real life.

That actor in all those almost photo-realistic backgrounds really does create quite an effect.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

One time I saw him walking down the streat

Unmature
May 9, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

At the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the cartoon director Raoul gets mad at Roger for not being able to make stars orbit his head when a fridge drops on it.

Toward the end, Roger gets a literal ton of bricks dropped on him which causes stars to appear. Roger, in a daze, says "ready when you are, Raoul."

You guys might not have noticed this because it's so subtle, but all the cartoons in the movie aren't real people. They're animated.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spaceballs is full of heaps of subtle little gags (the Millennium Falcon parked in the background of the Space Diner scene, President Skroob reading a Nixon expose, etc etc) but here's one which I'm not sure we were supposed to notice. In the scene where Yogurt shows off a bunch of Spaceballs merchandise:

... the Spaceballs coloring book and lunch box are just Transformers stuff with a Spaceballs label slapped on and most of the 'Spaceballs' toys in the background and the action figures off to the side are rebranded Starriors. Yogurt's Dinks were obviously cutting a few corners when it came to merch production. :v:
(I'm pretty sure the Dink dolls are just Cabbage Patch Kids in robes)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Oct 14, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite thing from Who Framed Roger Rabbit was the routine at the end of the movie, during the climax, where Eddie revives his old Ringaling Brothers routine to make the Weasels laugh themselves to death. At one point there was a thing that I only heard as Jessica piling on the stress, where she yells "We're running out of time!". However, follow the rhythm of the moment:

To the tune of Merry-go-round Broke Down:

quote:

Eddie:
This singing ain't my line,
It's tough to make a rhyme!
If.. if I get stuck.. er... i'm out of luck.. uh

Jessica:
WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Eddie:
Thanks!

She is finishing his verse, not just panicking.

I also like that you only see Jessica's other eye when she really freaks out: "Oh my god, it's DIP!"

Finally, I like that the toons and the humans are both Jealous of Roger+Jessica but for different reasons. The Human's are thinking "How'd that doofy rabbit end up with a girl like her?"
The Toons are thinking: Yeesh, Her? How'd she land a great toon like Roger?" Summarised wonderfully by the exchange near the start of the movie: Eddie: What do you see in him anyway?
J: "He makes me laugh"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Re: Roger Rabbit

Subtle moment - That its about a real conspiracy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy and that its about developing highways which as a kid I thought basically always existed so I didn't get it.

I also like what this talk has to say about the conspiracy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdVkbrLUIM

You rewatch that movie as an adult and a big piece reveals itself. A lot of people I talk to about it don't notice it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Decrepus posted:

When the power goes out at my house I leave the freezer open too because really, what is the point?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

KoRMaK posted:

Re: Roger Rabbit

Subtle moment - That its about a real conspiracy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy and that its about developing highways which as a kid I thought basically always existed so I didn't get it.

A lot of the story elements for Who Framed Rodger Rabbit were lifted from an unmade third film to the Chinatown trilogy, called Cloverleaf. So it's not too surprising that there are similarities to real-life political/corporate corruption.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is what True Detective Season 2 tried and failed to be.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Android Bicyclist posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I thought of this before but forgot, so thank you for bringing it up again.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Android Bicyclist posted:

well I certainly noticed something tonight that I haven't noticed in dozens of viewings since 1988, briefly visible in the right side of the frame

:stare:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

well I certainly noticed something tonight that I haven't noticed in dozens of viewings since 1988, briefly visible in the right side of the frame

"Visit La Brea Tar Pits"

It's a tar baby

Holy poo poo

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is that an actual tar baby?
:froggonk:
:dogbutton:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

...and it's on screen for a short amount of time, but longer than you would expect a loving tar baby to be visible.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's the tar baby from Disney's Song of the South:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's the tar baby from Disney's Song of the South:

Well yeah, but the thing is why would they put it into the movie at all.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well yeah, but the thing is why would they put it into the movie at all.

The la brea tar pits tourism committee is run by a bunch of fossils!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Tar baby/ tar man is a character from west African religious traditions, Brer rabbit stories are pretty much the Anansi stories

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Super Waffle posted:

Tar baby/ tar man is a character from west African religious traditions, Brer rabbit stories are pretty much the Anansi stories

Song of the South was a super racist movie that Disney tried to pretend doesn't exist for years. Some animator slipping it into the movie is the animation equivalent of a live action movie referencing Birth Of a Nation.

Song of the South was also the first Disney movie to use live actors and animation making it a direct precursor to Roger Rabbit. Lot of layers to dropping that character in there.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Oct 17, 2015

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Smiling Jack posted:

Song of the South was a super racist movie that Disney tried to pretend doesn't exist for years. Some animator slipping it into the movie is the animation equivalent of a live action movie referencing Birth Of a Nation.

Song of the South was also the first Disney movie to use live actors and animation making it a direct precursor to Roger Rabbit. Lot of layers to dropping that character in there.

I mean, I won't dispute that Song of the South was a super racist movie, but in my mind, the main "layer" to including that character was just "this is a reference to the filmmaking history that led to this movie". It was a split-second cameo of a character, not a direct endorsement of the ideals behind the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Patattack posted:

I mean, I won't dispute that Song of the South was a super racist movie, but in my mind, the main "layer" to including that character was just "this is a reference to the filmmaking history that led to this movie". It was a split-second cameo of a character, not a direct endorsement of the ideals behind the movie.

There was already a few other characters from 'Song of the South' in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit': the three hummingbirds that fly around Eddie Valiant's car and distract him so he crashes, some singing moles and Brer Bear. They already referenced that film a bunch without having to add the tar baby.

Smiling Jack posted:

Song of the South was a super racist movie that Disney tried to pretend doesn't exist for years.

Some of the characters have been creeping back in. Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear have been featured in the Splash Mountain ride for decades (they kept the tar baby scene but replaced the tar baby with a sticky beehive), they had several cameo appearances in the early 2000s Disney TV series 'House of Mouse' and a few years ago they appeared in Kinect Disneyland Adventures .

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Is the tar baby itself problematic, though? I was under the impression that 99% of the racism in the film is Uncle Remus and his "shucks I sure do love being a slave, and my massa is the nicest" attitude. The brer stories always seemed pretty basic Bugs Bunny stuff to me (at least in memory, I haven't watched them in years). Yeah, the tar baby is black, but that's just because it's made of tar. It's not like it runs around eating watermelon and asking where the white women at.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(White) People started using 'tar baby' as an insult, and so Disney errs on the side of caution.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the violinist in James and the giant peach describes himself as a moon cricket

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Patattack posted:

I agree.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

scary ghost dog posted:

the violinist in James and the giant peach describes himself as a moon cricket
well. it was the moon and he was a cricket. hmmmm, i wonder. gently caress, childhood destroyed

e: saved, just searched this http://www.abss.k12.nc.us/cms/lib02/NC01001905/Centricity/Domain/3797/James%20and%20the%20giant%20peach%20electronic.pdf

and it was a grasshopper and there is no mooncricket, phew

Seaside Loafer has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Oct 17, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've written a letter to Disney about this asking, nay demanding they pull this movie from theaters immediately.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

well. it was the moon and he was a cricket. hmmmm, i wonder. gently caress, childhood destroyed

e: saved, just searched this http://www.abss.k12.nc.us/cms/lib02/NC01001905/Centricity/Domain/3797/James%20and%20the%20giant%20peach%20electronic.pdf

and it was a grasshopper and there is no mooncricket, phew

foiled again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What are mooncrickets and tar babies?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

What are mooncrickets and tar babies?

http://www.rsdb.org/races (search is broken apparently, just use ctrl-f or cmd-f)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

oldpainless posted:

I've written a letter to Disney about this asking, nay demanding they pull this movie from theaters immediately.

Well, congratulations as it appears your write in campaign was a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CzarChasm posted:

Well, congratulations as it appears your write in campaign was a success.

You are welcome, black people everywhere!