Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

wooger posted:

it requires desktop software to be installed

I'm using it, but I still don't like this part and begrudgingly moved off keepass with this still being an issue. Keepass has a portable version you can run off a USB stick, and I really miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Looks like people are cool with Marco's patronage thing.

I considered it briefly and then realized I probably need the monthly pocket change more than the co-founder of tumblr. Had no problem paying $5 for features, but changing it to "patronage" changes how I feel about the same money. Psychology is weird.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

PFlats posted:

I considered it briefly and then realized I probably need the monthly pocket change more than the co-founder of tumblr. Had no problem paying $5 for features, but changing it to "patronage" changes how I feel about the same money. Psychology is weird.

Patronage doesn't auto renew, so it's virtually a donation button. I don't plan on ever paying so don't feel like you're doing some unspeakable act.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

Patronage doesn't auto renew, so it's virtually a donation button. I don't plan on ever paying so don't feel like you're doing some unspeakable act.

but you are

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PFlats posted:

This is how I feel too, I guess. I'd be happy to pay for features or whatever, and I paid $5 for the premium version, but I'm a PhD student with a VW Passat and he's the cofounder of Tumblr with a BMW M5.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

iOS 9 has been out for a minute. What's the hot email client of right now worth trying? Needs: multiple inbox support, GMail, Evernote integration. I'm waiting for Airmail to drop on iOS. Anything worth checking out beforehand?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Unless posted:

iOS 9 has been out for a minute. What's the hot email client of right now worth trying? Needs: multiple inbox support, GMail, Evernote integration. I'm waiting for Airmail to drop on iOS. Anything worth checking out beforehand?

Evernote integration is going to cause you to be on one of those wonky e-mail clients. I use Outlook (Accompli) and it's pretty good. I wish I preferred the mail client because I actually like Peek and Pop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Unless posted:

I have been using Spark and it ticks your boxes pretty well. I only use one inbox though.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Evernote integration is going to cause you to be on one of those wonky e-mail clients. I use Outlook (Accompli) and it's pretty good. I wish I preferred the mail client because I actually like Peek and Pop.

I can always forward to my evernote email address to organize, so it's the not the biggest of deals, I'm just looking for a fluid experience between reviewing mail and organizing myself.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Unless posted:

I can always forward to my evernote email address to organize, so it's the not the biggest of deals, I'm just looking for a fluid experience between reviewing mail and organizing myself.

I think it's good to just get on board with Outlook, as they have dramatically improved since getting bought out. They immediately fixed notifications which were a lingering problem and in the last few months added updates for multi-tasking, alternative web browsers, spotlight search capabilities, Apple Watch support (if that's your thing), file grabbing (photos etc.) from other apps and on. I can see the next update being 3d touch, so it's on a clear upward swing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a way to get my Contacts and Calendar to sync via Push with my Google Contacts and Calendar? I'm already using Inbox for push Gmail, but i'd like to get my other stuff off Fetch while i'm at it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Gunder posted:

Is there a way to get my Contacts and Calendar to sync via Push with my Google Contacts and Calendar? I'm already using Inbox for push Gmail, but i'd like to get my other stuff off Fetch while i'm at it.

Pretty sure setting them up in the Gmail account pushes them via Card/CalDav. I never have a problem with mine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

maduin posted:

Pretty sure setting them up in the Gmail account pushes them via Card/CalDav. I never have a problem with mine.

That's how I did it, but Settings seems to think they're on a 15 minute fetch schedule.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I have LastPass, but I wasn't thrilled with the poor stability on Android, and even less so iOS - autofill works for very, very few things it seems, and switching to LastPass multiple times is a pain in the rear end. Is 1Password better about integration?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I have LastPass, but I wasn't thrilled with the poor stability on Android, and even less so iOS - autofill works for very, very few things it seems, and switching to LastPass multiple times is a pain in the rear end. Is 1Password better about integration?

I can't comment on LastPass, but I really like 1Password. Been using it for about 3 years on both Windows and iOS. Never had any issues with it. I use Dropbox to sync everything up and a chrome extension to do autofills on desktop.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

IuniusBrutus posted:

What do you mean by stability
?
It offers to autofill any site or app with a login page for me, provided its running.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a good free iOS app to listen to your own music stored in the cloud/your house or is it iTunes Match all the way? My mom is asking me about getting an mp3 player but she already has a (16gb I think) iPhone 6.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

Is there a good free iOS app to listen to your own music stored in the cloud/your house or is it iTunes Match all the way? My mom is asking me about getting an mp3 player but she already has a (16gb I think) iPhone 6.

I picked up CloudBeats Pro when it went free a while ago, and it's suiting my needs pretty well. There's a free version you can try, though I don't know what's locked in it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Google Music is free.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cicero posted:

Google Music is solid. Plex if you wanna setup a media server.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thirding Google Music. It's great

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Google Music can work well but depending on her library makeup, method of and frequency of adding new music, etc., it can involve some maintenance. Using iTunes Match is pretty much effort-free in many/most cases.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Google Music can work well but depending on her library makeup, method of and frequency of adding new music, etc., it can involve some maintenance. Using iTunes Match is pretty much effort-free in many/most cases.

iTunes Match really likes taking music I have locally on my phone (that I added manually), ignoring it completely, and streaming the radio edits of that music from iTunes. In some cases it has totally grayed out my local music and won't let me play it.

Definitely giving up on Apple Music and probably going back to Spotify. I like the curated playlists but everything else about that interface sucks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well yeah, using two different "sync" methods simultaneously doesn't tend to work well.

And you probably know this already but in case others don't, the Apple radio stations are available even if you don't have an Apple Music sub. I also dropped my sub after the free trial.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can only get Beats1 to work without a sub. The All City station doesn't work.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Works fine for me. :iiam:
All City, The Mixtape, and On The Floor all work, on both an iTunes Match-enabled account, and a got-nothing-throwaway account.

Been getting a lot of expired certificate weirdness with Apple servers the last few days, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Been getting a lot of expired certificate weirdness with Apple servers the last few days, though.

I'm getting this every time I turn on iTunes actually ever since I stopped my Apple Music trial.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Gunder posted:

As far as I know changes you make on your phone get pushed to Google immediately. Changes you make on your desktop or android device are being fetched.

Then there is also this bug:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/28963198#28963198

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress Linux, first off

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Unacknowledged posted:

Why in gently caress does the iBooks app lose track of progress? It can save it fine, take me back 40 minutes, or as much as 4 goddamn hours. Any fix to this?

I think the everlasting Overcast / Downcast discussion pushed this down. Anyone else have this problem?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Unacknowledged posted:

I think the everlasting Overcast / Downcast discussion pushed this down. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't experienced this, no. You could try using the Audible app and playing stuff from your library with that. I assume you're talking about Audiobooks. If you're talking about book books, try something like Marvin or Kindle instead.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Unacknowledged posted:

Yeah mine would often just jump back a few minutes or to the start of the chapter. I just tried to make an effort to only ever stop listening once I finished a chapter, which was annoying. Plus, isn't the little dot by the chapter name supposed to be your last finished or currently-on chapter? That would never update for me.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there any way to get retro arch installed on an iPad Air without jailbreak?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Unacknowledged posted:

Yes, with books, and it's annoying as gently caress. I was assuming iOS 9 broke something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is there any way to get retro arch installed on an iPad Air without jailbreak?

You can build your own apps for your own devices without having a developer account so I'm surprised we haven't heard more about emulators and stuff yet.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Looks like Facebook just updated with 3D touch capabilities.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For basic password management, is there any advantage to using 1Password over iCloud Keychain?

Other than the Apple-only thing, I mean.

I'm not averse to buying 1P, especially at a discount, but I switched from LP to iCloud Keychain about 6 months ago and haven't really looked back.

I guess the only complaint I've had about iCloud Keychain is that there's no easy way to look at your passwords on iOS. You can autofill them, but not get .. at? .. them, if you need to read them off for use on a Windows device, for example.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 12, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

For basic password management, is there any advantage to using 1Password over iCloud Keychain?

I'm not averse to buying 1P, especially at a discount, but I switched from LP to iCloud Keychain about 6 months ago and haven't really looked back.

I guess the only complaint I've had about iCloud Keychain is that there's no easy way to look at your passwords on iOS. You can autofill them, but not get .. at? .. them, if you need to read them off for use on a Windows device, for example.

There are some sites where neither iCloud or 1Password will work for auto-storing/submitting credentials. In those cases it's nice to have 1Password as an easy way to copy paste the credentials in.

1Password also has extensions for non-Safari web-browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Settings->Safari->Passwords to get to your passwords.