Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am not so sure. If one's solution to the problem is climbing down the hole and climbing up on the other side, why would you use Grace for something that is pure muscle work?

In that case, you probably don't even need to trigger any move at all. If that's something you can do, then it's likely a very boring hole, and not a Threat.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This might be an odd thought, but is there a reason we can't have two "pick-your-stat" moves? Like, it might work out and fix this problem. Just throwing that out there.

Take that with a grain of salt as AW managed to work fine with only 1 stat to overcome.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Except maybe for finding a tie point for the rope

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If your player is climbing down the pit and not being set upon by a vicious hellbeast at the bottom you're doing elfgames wrong

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Having too many "pick-your-stat" moves can really dilute the niches of various playbooks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Take that with a grain of salt as AW managed to work fine with only 1 stat to overcome.

DW's multi-stat Defy Danger move is either the designers not understanding AW, or understanding it, but wanting too much to shoehorn it into D&D. In addition to something like AW's Act Under Fire (or a one-stat Overcome) for going forward despite danger/resistance/distraction, you could have one for when you need to stay one move ahead of the opponent -- argument/persuasion, stalling, or fighting defensively. We see that when Bilbo flatters Smaug to size him up, or when he stalls Gollum.

I would really rather not see moves that lead to the "can I use attribute/move A instead of attribute/move B for this task, because [reasons]" minigame in actual play. Or arguing over which move+stat is the right one for a pit, because soooo many games already do that. Everyone wanting to take Blood so they can +Blood Finish Them might not be a problem with Finish Them so much as a problem with the moves keying off other attributes not pulling their weight (and therefore not appearing as attractive).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Fellowship Voter Poll for backers is now up. There is a kickstarter update you should check out to get in on that.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
That placeholder art is adorable, holy poo poo.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
wee :3:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Is it too late to commission the guy who did the placeholder art to do more stuff in the margins of the rulebook?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I have voted and my votes are the correct ones!!!!

e: pair, hatchling, remnant. fight me.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 9, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I really like the concept of the Remnant but it seems odd to me to tie them so much into being the victim of a curse/needing X to survive. Imo it would make a little more sense if you were just choosing an origin for their longevity: Locked in a Vault, Cursed Immortal, whatever.

Anyway yeah the Pair and the Remnant are clearly the best and everyone should vote for them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuligin posted:

and everyone should vote for them...

...after voting for the constructed and elemental. :colbert:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I ranked the spider highly because holy poo poo you guys a spider.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If the beta poll was anything to go by, we're likely getting constructed, hatchling and pair.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Error 404 posted:

...after voting for the constructed and elemental. :colbert:

If only so you can take moves to make planetouched analogues. Which is always my criteria for a good game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Impermanent posted:

Is it too late to commission the guy who did the placeholder art to do more stuff in the margins of the rulebook?

They've already done some of the other art in the book, specifically, these pieces:

But I am always up for paying them for more art, so maybe some margin squiggles could be fun.

Impermanent posted:

If the beta poll was anything to go by, we're likely getting constructed, hatchling and pair.

The beta poll was also basically a poll of just this forum and a couple of my friends. I have no idea how the larger population will affect it, that's about 700 more people potentially voting on it. The beta poll only had a final total of 50ish votes, it isn't very conclusive evidence of anything.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
top tier: pair, remnant, hatchling
mid tier: elemental, constructed
bottom tier: spider
worst tier: dragon

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Clockwork Gadget posted:

top tier: pair, remnant, hatchling
mid tier: elemental, constructed
bottom tier: spider
worst tier: dragon

This guy gets it. Spider just doesn't really do it for me, for whatever reason.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Frankly I was hoping for a generic "bug" playbook with one of the options being a spider.

My top votes were elemental, hatchling and remnant.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Yeah I thought the spider would be more bug people.

Dragon, Hatchling and Elemental for me

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Construct, Pair, Remnant, but I put Spider in the top of my 'didn't quite make it' picks.

Also now I really hope that at some point in the future we get a look at some of the alternate Overlord stuff, because during a post-work nap I had a vague idea for a portal fantasy Fellowship hack that used "The Way Home" as an alternate overlord.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I voted Pair, Hatchling, and Constructed, Remnant and Elemental were my runner-ups.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also now I really hope that at some point in the future we get a look at some of the alternate Overlord stuff, because during a post-work nap I had a vague idea for a portal fantasy Fellowship hack that used "The Way Home" as an alternate overlord.

Okay, this sounds awesome.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Remnant, Spider and Construct for me.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

unseenlibrarian posted:

Construct, Pair, Remnant, but I put Spider in the top of my 'didn't quite make it' picks.

This could be pretty cool if you can sort out the backgrounds, since that's such a massive part of playing.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Pair, Dragon, Constructed. None of the others massively appealed to me. Spider I did last though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I went remnant, spider, hatchling. Those seemed like the most fun.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
I am kicking myself that I missed this. Will it end up for sale on its own, or am I sad and alone?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dzurlord posted:

I am kicking myself that I missed this. Will it end up for sale on its own, or am I sad and alone?

The physical rewards (apart from gnome signing copies) are discounted PoD books, so yes.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I Overlorded last night for my siblings and some friends - none of us have much experience with tabletop rpgs, but overall it went pretty well. I didn't have much prep time, but coming up with a basic concept for the overlord (a giant who slew his own god and now views the whole world as his to claim) and then presenting it and brainstorming connections with the players worked really well and was a lot of fun. We jumped right from character creation to combat against two groups of basic enemies, which took awhile and wasn't super challenging, but gave a good intro to the party.

Couple Questions:

A lot of the companions for players - like the Heir's Sibling or the Witch's Broom - have stats that are never fully spelled out. Are we supposed to just come up with when 'Zippy Quick' is appropriate to use as a price from the context of the name?

The way we read the 'Bonds that Bind Us' move was that the player using it gave up their 'turn' so that the person they're helping could roll with hope, but reading the description again makes me think we basically got it completely wrong, and anyone making a move with another member close by enough to help should be getting the benefit. Is the Fellowship working together basically always supposed to be rolling with Hope unless I as the Overlord separate and distract them?

When I Deal Damage to a fellowship member, I am in charge of which stat is damaged by using the fiction ('Your leg gets stabbed, take damage to grace') and the other player can only choose to absorb the blow with armor or negate it with healing. Likewise, I determine which threat they damage on a monster (stat they damage on a threat? the terms for enemies are a little confusing) unless they're using a weapon with the piercing tag, right?

Do you have any tricks for presenting threats to the players? Just trying to describe all the stats a group of wolves or soldiers have can get pretty wordy.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Scrree posted:

I Overlorded last night for my siblings and some friends - none of us have much experience with tabletop rpgs, but overall it went pretty well. I didn't have much prep time, but coming up with a basic concept for the overlord (a giant who slew his own god and now views the whole world as his to claim) and then presenting it and brainstorming connections with the players worked really well and was a lot of fun. We jumped right from character creation to combat against two groups of basic enemies, which took awhile and wasn't super challenging, but gave a good intro to the party.

Couple Questions:

A lot of the companions for players - like the Heir's Sibling or the Witch's Broom - have stats that are never fully spelled out. Are we supposed to just come up with when 'Zippy Quick' is appropriate to use as a price from the context of the name?

Yeah, the name describes the benefits the companion can bring to the field. When being zippy quick can help you out, you can damage the stat and it'll give you that benefit.

quote:

The way we read the 'Bonds that Bind Us' move was that the player using it gave up their 'turn' so that the person they're helping could roll with hope, but reading the description again makes me think we basically got it completely wrong, and anyone making a move with another member close by enough to help should be getting the benefit. Is the Fellowship working together basically always supposed to be rolling with Hope unless I as the Overlord separate and distract them?

The way the move works is if two players are doing the same thing together, only one of them rolls, and they roll with Hope. So if someone is rolling to Keep Them Busy and another player steps in to help also Keep Them Busy, you roll with Hope instead of having each player roll separately to keep the same guy busy.

quote:

When I Deal Damage to a fellowship member, I am in charge of which stat is damaged by using the fiction ('Your leg gets stabbed, take damage to grace') and the other player can only choose to absorb the blow with armor or negate it with healing. Likewise, I determine which threat they damage on a monster (stat they damage on a threat? the terms for enemies are a little confusing) unless they're using a weapon with the piercing tag, right?

Correct. Unless their move lets them decide what to damage, the Overlord decides which stat makes sense to damage.

quote:

Do you have any tricks for presenting threats to the players? Just trying to describe all the stats a group of wolves or soldiers have can get pretty wordy.

The main solution I've had for this is to just put the stats out on the table for them to read, which isn't ideal when the book is only in PDF format right now. Saying them all aloud is definitely a bit wordy - a quick solution would be to tell them what stats it has, and only go into what the stats do as they come up. The names should be pretty good at letting you know roughly what something is capable of, and if they are not, that's something I can improve.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I voted Remnant, Spider, Construct though a more generic 'bug-people' Spider would be even cooler. Honestly there are a lot of cool ideas there. The Pair seems like a good idea but possibly complex in play--I admit some of that is trepidation from a long time in text-based RPGs where playing two people means a lot of typing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm actually really not a fan of how the Pair looked in the preview. The Hatchling and Remnant were the two real standouts for me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
A key thing for the Pair:

Have a name card in front of you. Flip it when you switch from one member of the pair to the other, so the rest of the party can keep track.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Construct looked way better than I expected, so it bumped up into my top three, along with Remnant and Pair. Remnant is actually something I kind of wanted to do as a fanmade thing, so I was really excited when Gnome announced it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I had a thought last night - the Remnant is kind of gruesome for the rest of the game's established tone. Like, a cornerstone of the game's design is that violence is almost never your only option, then here's a playbook where three of your four defining options involve ripping people limb from limb, devouring their organs, or attempting to murder them unwillingly. Maybe it'd make more sense for your Hunger to be a choose-your-own thing, so people could make it gruesome and nasty if they want, or more spooky and arcane if they don't.

I just want to play a spooky skeleton that doesn't have to flay the bones from every one of his victims :saddowns:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Think of it this way. You're not flaying your enemies to death, you're freeing your skeleton buddies from their meat-prisons they're caged in.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Reminder to vote on that playbook poll if you haven't yet. There's over 800 backers and less than 400 votes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
I can't believe I was so totally oblivious to this having happened. I was looking forward to backing it. T_T

Well, still looking forward to the game, assuming it will still be available through DTRPG at some point?