Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Combed Thunderclap posted:

People in the comments are actually arguing that if the Warsaw Ghetto fighters had only had more guns, they...might have won? Somehow?

In my Holocaust head canon, the Jews get nukes, which is why I'm for global nuclear rearmament.

They wouldn't claim to have the nukes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress Ben Carson and the GOP. Goddamn it.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm normally the last person to pull the anti-Semitism card, but in my opinion, it really is straight-up anti-Semitism to argue that if the Jews had just, like, got guns and tried harder, they might not have all been killed. When an entire society and its professionally trained and equipped military has decided you, and everyone like you, are going to die, it's already too late. Especially given that, thanks to the principle of collective punishment, the killing of a single Nazi was justification enough for wiping out entire towns of people.

Which they were able to do pretty easily. With their guns.

Victim-blaming is the cornerstone of conservatism though.

"Maybe if the natives hadn't been running around naked we wouldn't have had to give them smallpox blankets." :smug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean you could make an argument the Jewish people didn't have ENOUGH guns since yknow during the warsaw uprising they were going up against Railway Artillery and one of the most terrifying weapons of the war;

It could fire a 300kg 38cm rocket at ranges up to three miles.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ben Carson won't even speak the truth when it comes to his professional specialty--everything else has been disingenuous party-line horseshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

I mean you could make an argument the Jewish people didn't have ENOUGH guns since yknow during the warsaw uprising they were going up against Railway Artillery and one of the most terrifying weapons of the war;

The Sturmtiger was known to have wiped out entire buildings, sometimes two at a time.

The Uprising was its only real notable use IIRC.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

It's starting to look like it's time, fellow goons.

A las barricadas, mi hermanos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odrfx7WmNWQ

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

You just wanted to post about this gun, which I don't blame you for.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SedanChair posted:

You just wanted to post about this gun, which I don't blame you for.

I used to play a lot of Wolfenstein: ET, and it had a map with railway artillery that I thought (because education in Nevada is poo poo) was just some outlandish video game thing in the grand Wolfenstein tradition. Imagine my surprise when those turned out to be an actual thing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CommieGIR posted:

The Nazis loved building huge useless AFVs.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cabbit posted:

I used to play a lot of Wolfenstein: ET, and it had a map with railway artillery that I thought (because education in Nevada is poo poo) was just some outlandish video game thing in the grand Wolfenstein tradition. Imagine my surprise when those turned out to be an actual thing.

Supposedly they had one that maybe could shell London.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Cabbit posted:

Depends on which part of Nevada you live in. Reno High didn't do bad by me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Thump! posted:

They were just really loving bad at using their tanks.

And at warfare in general at the time. The psychological damage from their horrendous casualties in WW1 was still affecting them when German armor was rolling through the low countries.

And to be fair, the Maginot Line might have worked if they just did the politically rude thing and walled off Belgium too.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Supposedly they had one that maybe could shell London.

They did have one of those, the Brits bombed it hell before it could be used

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

KomradeX posted:

They did have one of those, the Brits bombed it hell before it could be used

if the germans had guns this wouldn't have happened

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

7c Nickel posted:

And to be fair, the Maginot Line might have worked if they just did the politically rude thing and walled off Belgium too.

And now, Belgium houses the EU, and use Germany as their attack dog to control Europe.

Follow the leads! Those frites-eaters are playing us all like fiddles!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

mcclay posted:

Depends on which part of Nevada you live in. Reno High didn't do bad by me.

Las Vegas, so absolutely abysmal. Came as a bit of a shock when I did a bachelor's degree in Texas and found out that my grasp of math was sub-HS even by their standards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

foobardog posted:

And now, Belgium houses the EU, and use Germany as their attack dog to control Europe.

Follow the leads! Those frites-eaters are playing us all like fiddles!

It would make a certain amount of sense if all the competent Belgians were in the EU bureaucracy instead of the national government.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Rachel Maddow did a really nice detailed segment on the House Speaker kerfuffle the other night, including its origins in Eric Cantor's ouster because he would have already succeeded Boehner as Speaker if he hadn't lost his seat.

The segment included a number of clips of McCarthy speaking, and there is something WRONG with the guy. He has some kind of weird verbal dyslexia or something where his grammar is all hosed up and he uses inappropriate words, words that don't fit, all the time.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/shock-as-mccarthy-bails-on-speakership-541436483647

Word salad is often intentional. Generally when dealing with zealots, assume every bizarre sentence fragment is a reference meant for other zealots.

If you're actually reading and listening to divine meaning, remember that proper nouns are actually adjectives synonymous with good or evil.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cabbit posted:

That map was pretty good but the fuel dump one was a lot more fun imo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If Paul Ryan has any national aspirations he shouldn't take the roll of Speaker of the House.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Watched Bernie speak in Boulder, CO earlier today.

Pretty decent crowd on CUs campus, about 2,000 people.

Everyone are his brothers and sisters. And Americur. :3:

Touched on the major campaign points, pretty standard stump speech:

- $15 min federal wage
- Pay eqaulity, women's reproductive rights
- Sensible gun controls including removing the gun show loophole, using the recent shootings as examples
- Free education, funded with a tax on wall street speculation
- Breaking up huge banks
- Ending Citizens United
- Universal healthcare
- Better mental health access
- Reducing the prison population

All in all, everything you'd expect a Bernie rally to be about.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

If Paul Ryan has any national aspirations he shouldn't take the roll of Speaker of the House.

He also shouldn't have agreed to debate Diamond Joe.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

a shameful boehner posted:

Watched Bernie speak in Boulder, CO earlier today.

Pretty decent crowd on CUs campus, about 2,000 people.

Everyone are his brothers and sisters. And Americur. :3:

Touched on the major campaign points, pretty standard stump speech:

- $15 min federal wage
- Pay eqaulity, women's reproductive rights
- Sensible gun controls including removing the gun show loophole, using the recent shootings as examples
- Free education, funded with a tax on wall street speculation
- Breaking up huge banks
- Ending Citizens United
- Universal healthcare
- Better mental health access
- Reducing the prison population

all the estimates I've seen place attendance at just under 10,000, unless he had more than one in Boulder today

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Obama joked that Kanye West was going to run for speaker of the house. I'm not sure he should be giving him any ideas.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

comes along bort posted:

He also shouldn't have agreed to debate Diamond Joe.

All that will be a vague memory by the time he runs in 2032, after Trump's 4th term.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

all the estimates I've seen place attendance at just under 10,000, unless he had more than one in Boulder today

The campaign said his speech in Greensboro, NC last month was around 9,000, but I felt it was also more like 2-3.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Ill post pictures later but it didn't seem that large. Maybe I'm just bad at counting people. It was in a field on the east campus. Maybe 5,000, 10k seems like a stretch.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

So nothing about the blacks, then?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Ryan's fellow Congressmen won't forget if he shirks on them. Someone's gotta fall on the sword, and you don't get to claim that you're too important for it just because you want to be President. Besides, he loses credibility as a "party leader" if he dodges taking leadership in a crisis. Might not count too much next year, but now's not the time to be picking up grudges from his natural allies in the Establishment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

USPOL October: IF YOU CAN STARVE A GRANNY, YOU CAN STARVE A GOVERNMENT

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Precambrian posted:

Ryan's fellow Congressmen won't forget if he shirks on them. Someone's gotta fall on the sword, and you don't get to claim that you're too important for it just because you want to be President. Besides, he loses credibility as a "party leader" if he dodges taking leadership in a crisis. Might not count too much next year, but now's not the time to be picking up grudges from his natural allies in the Establishment.

I dunno, maybe this works in the real world but the republican party is currently in looney tunes land.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Milk Malk posted:

So nothing about the blacks, then?

A fair amount about illegal immigration and a dressing racism perpetuated by Republicans.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Oh yeah,some clerks with rifles are going to hold up an army supported by tanks, artillery and bombers.

I know it's a joke that Jews get blamed for everything, but Goddamn.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A fair amount about illegal immigration and a dressing racism perpetuated by Republicans.

What exactly did he say about immigration because I haven't heard much aside from 'no open borders' which is like, yea no poo poo, but when asked about poo poo like for profit arrests of immigrants and what to do with the people here he keeps seeming to pivot.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Looks like Clinton's email "scandal" is going to reverse even more for the GOP:

quote:

Benghazi Committee Ex-Staffer Alleges He Was Fired For Refusing To Target Clinton
A former staffer for the Republicans on the House Select Committee on Benghazi alleged that he was unlawfully fired in part because he resisted focusing his investigative efforts on Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton, The New York Times and CNN reported Saturday.

Bradley Podliska, an Air Force reserve major who served as an investigator for 10 months, told the news outlets that he plans to file a federal lawsuit next month against the select committee for wrongful termination.

He alleged to CNN that he lost his job in part because he resisted the "partisan investigation" the committee pursued following revelations that Clinton exclusively used a private email account during her tenure as secretary of state. Podliska also said that his taking a leave from the committee to fulfill his active duty obligations factored into his termination, which would be unlawful.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bradley-podliska-benghazi-committee-allegations

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mitt Romney posted:

Looks like Clinton's email "scandal" is going to reverse even more for the GOP:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bradley-podliska-benghazi-committee-allegations

Oh my god this is too beautiful to be true.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
The Mystery of ISIS’ Toyota Army Solved

Recently, when the US State Department resumed sending non-lethal aid to Syrian rebels, the delivery list included 43 Toyota trucks.

Hiluxes were on the Free Syrian Army’s wish list. Oubai Shahbander, a Washington-based advisor to the Syrian National Coalition, is a fan of the truck.

“Specific equipment like the Toyota Hiluxes are what we refer to as force enablers for the moderate opposition forces on the ground,” he adds. Shahbander says the US-supplied pickups will be delivering troops and supplies into battle. Some of the fleet will even become battlefield weapons.

So far the UK has sent around £8m of “non-lethal” aid, according to official papers seen by The Independent, comprising five 4×4 vehicles with ballistic protection; 20 sets of body armour; four trucks (three 25 tonne, one 20 tonne); six 4×4 SUVs; five non-armoured pick-ups; one recovery vehicle; four fork-lifts; three advanced “resilience kits” for region hubs, designed to rescue people in emergencies; 130 solar powered batteries; around 400 radios; water purification and rubbish collection kits; laptops; VSATs (small satellite systems for data communications) and printers.

lol we are arming terrorism.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommieGIR posted:

The Sturmtiger was known to have wiped out entire buildings, sometimes two at a time.

It was used in the Battle of the Bulge. But like most rare weapons records of engagement are hard to come across because of the loss of battle reports when command centers were burned and the fact it fires from so far away you won't really know what hit or shoot at you. Weapons like the Sturmtiger weren't well known for leaving survivors at the point of impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What exactly did he say about immigration because I haven't heard much aside from 'no open borders' which is like, yea no poo poo, but when asked about poo poo like for profit arrests of immigrants and what to do with the people here he keeps seeming to pivot.

He talked to it directly, starting with his father's experience as a Polish immigrant and not knowing a word of English.

He spoke about :

- How business owners were complicit in fostering "undocumented immigrants", through exploiting their labor through low wages, with an acknowledgement that we need to now address the issue at hand of 11 million undocumented workers by providing a realistic path to citizenship (he didn't use the phrase "illegal immigration" once)

- Directly addressed Trump's racist comments about how migrants were all rapists and murderers, talking about how this has been repeated in the past with pitting whites against African Americans, Asians etc.

- Spoke of supporting the DREAM Act and that he still does despite Republican opposition in the house; said DACA was a good start but not enough

- Wants to keep families together, not break them apart (against mass deportations)

- Acknowledged the importance of migrant labor to the economy and said our agricultural sector would fall apart without it, and reiterated a fair pathway to citizenship

Overall it was one of the bigger topics in his speech.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 11, 2015

• Locked thread