Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

power botton posted:

read your post history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that;s brown noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

SO DEMANDING posted:

a handful of times now over the past few months my computer's been doing weird bullshit where it won't wake up. hit the power button, fans spin up, but jack poo poo happens. sometimes i can hard power it down, start it again and it comes back. sometimes this doesn't work. i found clearing the CMOS makes things work normally again (at least for some time)

any ideas? gonna be pissed if the motherboard is dying cuz it's an LGA1155 board from 2012 and no one makes that poo poo anymore, meaning i'll have to basically throw away my cpu and RAM to get new poo poo i really have no need for

yeah i know long-term solution is throw my idiot gaming desktop in the trash and get a mac but let's focus on near-term for now

is it not waking up from sleep, or hibernation, or full cold shutdown?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

is it not waking up from sleep, or hibernation, or full cold shutdown?

sleep, i think? whatever the gently caress hybrid sleep in win7 is because that is what is enabled

but occasionally when this happens i'll hard power it down, totally disconnect power for a bit, try to start it and it does the same thing (fans spin up drives spin up, nothing else happens)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
sounds like your power supply is failing

i would at least try a different power supply before going to the motherboard

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
stupid temporary fix: don't let it go to sleep in the first place because it's probably not using that much power when idle anyway

i like these kinds of fixes because they do an end-run around the problem

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

computer parts posted:

sounds like your power supply is failing

i would at least try a different power supply before going to the motherboard

so how in the gently caress does that tie in with resetting the CMOS making poo poo work again?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
if resetting the cmos fixes it, try replacing the cr2032 battery

but bad power supplies can cause all sorts of weird behavior. could be that the power supply only behaves badly when its in its low power mode, and the unstable power is causing the cmos data to get corrupted or something

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dodoman posted:

replace one of your case fans with a 4000rpm delta fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKcESbTx2w

the soothing sounds of an airport runway

so is it just walking from vibration or is it developing thrust?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

They're pretty well balanced and heavy so i'd say thrust.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Panty Saluter posted:

maybe he sprayed the surface with pam before putting the fan down :shrug:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SO DEMANDING posted:

a handful of times now over the past few months my computer's been doing weird bullshit where it won't wake up. hit the power button, fans spin up, but jack poo poo happens. sometimes i can hard power it down, start it again and it comes back. sometimes this doesn't work. i found clearing the CMOS makes things work normally again (at least for some time)

any ideas? gonna be pissed if the motherboard is dying cuz it's an LGA1155 board from 2012 and no one makes that poo poo anymore, meaning i'll have to basically throw away my cpu and RAM to get new poo poo i really have no need for

yeah i know long-term solution is throw my idiot gaming desktop in the trash and get a mac but let's focus on near-term for now

Sleep should be holding the contents of ram, but if your ram timings are messed up or the firmware on the board is poo poo all of those pages could be corrupting which would make it impossible to resume from sleep after a short time. fallback solution could be disabling hybrid sleep and using hibernate instead of sleep.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bad caps/voltage regulators or the PSU could all be causing that behavior as well. A wealth of possibilities.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Sleep should be holding the contents of ram, but if your ram timings are messed up or the firmware on the board is poo poo all of those pages could be corrupting which would make it impossible to resume from sleep after a short time. fallback solution could be disabling hybrid sleep and using hibernate instead of sleep.

i should mention after all the fuckery in getting it to power on properly, windows will always "resume" successfully just fine as if nothing at all happened.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

A wealth of possibilities.

that and the fact that this occurs only very sporadically (been 2-3 weeks since the last occurrence) is making troubleshooting so much fun!!

so yeah basically...

SO DEMANDING posted:

long-term solution is throw my idiot gaming desktop in the trash and get a mac

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FYI hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate. So when your computer goes down to sleep, it writes out the hibernation file to disk as a fallback method. If you computer fails to resume from the contents of ram (which it sounds like the problem) or power is lost while sleeping, it then falls back the secondary mode where it pulls from the hiberfile on the OS volume which pretty much always works barring disk corruption.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
macs never have faulty components

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I've been doing a system restore in windows 7 for like 10 hours now, how long is this supposed to take? The only point to go back to was in july, hdd is 450 gb

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I let system restore run for like 40 hours which surprisingly did not work. Then tried startup repair but didn't have the patience to let it run for hours, so I tried starting windows using last known good configuration which worked! hooray

ed: the irony is I finally bought an external hdd to back up my computer, the new hdd failed and in trying to fix that i hosed with the registry and almost broke my computer as well, thus nearly destroying the files I was trying to back up

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 9, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Syncopated posted:

I let system restore run for like 40 hours which surprisingly did not work. Then tried startup repair but didn't have the patience to let it run for hours, so I tried starting windows using last known good configuration which worked! hooray

ed: the irony is I finally bought an external hdd to back up my computer, the new hdd failed and in trying to fix that i hosed with the registry and almost broke my computer as well, thus nearly destroying the files I was trying to back up
lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Syncopated posted:

good poo poo op

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Syncopated posted:

hdd failed and in trying to fix that i hosed with the registry and almost broke my computer

what

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

My brand new wd external hd stopped showing up in explorer after like a day of using it. Tried uninstalling drivers and connecting it again which didnt work. Did a bit of googling and used device manager to try to find it. Some dude in the windows seven forums sevenforums.com (lol) suggested that deleting the external hdd driver in the registry might work, so I did that. Then I got bluescreen on startup

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Syncopated posted:

My brand new wd external hd stopped showing up in explorer after like a day of using it. Tried uninstalling drivers and connecting it again which didnt work. Did a bit of googling and used device manager to try to find it. Some dude in the windows seven forums sevenforums.com (lol) suggested that deleting the external hdd driver in the registry might work, so I did that. Then I got bluescreen on startup
lmao

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Syncopated posted:

pretty loving dumb, op

i suggest not trying to janitor your own computer anymore

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

thats rly dumb yea

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

like i remember the same issue when people would switch from IDE to AHCI mode in they bios

if ur wandos was installed with IDE mode it would only have that driver and you'd fux up your windos intall you would then have to go in safe mode and fix it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Syncopated posted:

when you plug it in do you feel the HDD spin up and stop? if so it is the same issue i have and the only thing i can do is unplug power/data to the enclosure and then plug it back.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

like i remember the same issue when people would switch from IDE to AHCI mode in they bios

if ur wandos was installed with IDE mode it would only have that driver and you'd fux up your windos intall you would then have to go in safe mode and fix it
i don't think i've ever gotten a machine like that to boot into safe mode, you gotta revert back to ide in the bios. if you really wanna switch to ahci without uninstall/reinstall, you have to replace your disk controller drivers with the ahci drivers, windows will tell you it needs to reboot, then when you reboot you go into the bios and then make the switch to ahci. but that isn't always reliable, especially if you've got like a non-intel chipset or w/e

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

pretty loving dumb, op

i suggest not trying to janitor your own computer anymore

Yeah thats pretty much what I figured

lesson learnt i guess

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Dodoman posted:

when you plug it in do you feel the HDD spin up and stop? if so it is the same issue i have and the only thing i can do is unplug power/data to the enclosure and then plug it back.

Yeah it spins up, the light goes on and I get the sound note when I plug it in, I get the "remove hardware safely" thing in the bottom right, it shows up in device manager but not in explorer and thats pretty much it, I cant seem to access the drive, tried another computer with similar results. I might just return it but I moved like 300 gb of "linux ISOs" from my laptop which I would lose but eh

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Syncopated posted:

Yeah it spins up, the light goes on and I get the sound note when I plug it in, I get the "remove hardware safely" thing in the bottom right, it shows up in device manager but not in explorer and thats pretty much it, I cant seem to access the drive, tried another computer with similar results. I might just return it but I moved like 300 gb of "linux ISOs" from my laptop which I would lose but eh

the drive is probably still fine, pull it out of the enclosure and plug it via sata/thunderbolt or another caddy and see if it works.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

i don't think i've ever gotten a machine like that to boot into safe mode, you gotta revert back to ide in the bios. if you really wanna switch to ahci without uninstall/reinstall, you have to replace your disk controller drivers with the ahci drivers, windows will tell you it needs to reboot, then when you reboot you go into the bios and then make the switch to ahci. but that isn't always reliable, especially if you've got like a non-intel chipset or w/e

yeah you're right i was misremembering.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Syncopated posted:

can you bring it up in disk manager or diskpart

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

does it work on an linux? (use bootable usb or w/e)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol windows

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dodoman posted:

the drive is probably still fine, pull it out of the enclosure and plug it via sata/thunderbolt or another caddy and see if it works.

just take your new drive back to where you bough it. if you take it out you wont be able to get a warranty replacement or return it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Right I forgot it's a new one, do what he said

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Syncopated posted:

check disk management in compmgmt.msc (put in run) and see if it shows up there, if it does just right click the partition and assign a drive letter

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
It shows up in Disk management, but it says unknown and not initialized in the box. When I try to inizialize it I get an error message saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Syncopated posted:

It shows up in Disk management, but it says unknown and not initialized in the box. When I try to inizialize it I get an error message saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

return it to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im tyring to set up my old adsl wireless modem as an additional access point and i think its working i mean it seems to work happy as a switch and so things i have done : same ssid and password, different channel, turned off dhcp

BUT when the internet connected router is connected i cant browse to the 192.168.2.1 address for the access point router.

will the original router with the dhcp be blocking it??

e: well i still cant access the router but i got it working, just cant change anything wthout resetting it to factory LMAO

also its a bit useless. wanna use it as a wireless repeater but i dont think thats a thing its designed to do

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 11, 2015