Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I call my act "Britches Holocaust"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

I'm visiting my uncle for his wedding and was hoping to finally get to see his guitars he's built. No such luck, he hasn't moved them in to his new place. He did however invite like all his musician friends over and they were sitting in a circle playing folk and bluegrass all night.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Aoi-chan posted:

I'm visiting my uncle for his wedding and was hoping to finally get to see his guitars he's built. No such luck, he hasn't moved them in to his new place. He did however invite like all his musician friends over and they were sitting in a circle playing folk and bluegrass all night.

Was that the best or the worst thing you've ever experienced?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Blues dad vs bluegrass uncle, who wins?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

definitely the latter

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

tacodaemon posted:

we all lose

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My father is a total bluegrass dad. I get into arguments with him because we sit around and play songs, and I try to show him some poo poo (I'm not that good a player, but I at least try and walk him through some of the funkier changes in songs I know he likes) and he just wants to get smashed and noodle on G-C-D all night. I know if he really got going, he'd outplay me any day of the week, I can't play lead at all. I just happen to like hitting weird chord voicings and poo poo like that.) It doesn't help that we often end up with one of the neighbors on banjo, whose level of accomplishment on the thing is "drink heavily, play G and D, forget where C is sometimes, complain loudly if a song has a B or E in it"

I respect the playing in bluegrass, but bluegrass songs make me want to die. Lyrically, they're basically all twitter of the 1850s.

goin' down to the docks today
saw my baby at the docks today

(it's an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like)

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Had a fun night mixing hc punk bands tonight, some mongoloids had cleaned up the stage and ripped out the cables going to the crossover/amp and left stands and cables everywhere. And the guys maintaining the PA had "done someshit" on the desk, no details. No soundcheck, 5 bands.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ugly guitar but cool image sequence of the effort that was put into it:

http://imgur.com/gallery/KVFdp

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Haha I just finished seeing that on sevenstring.org. He's really skilled.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Haha I just finished seeing that on sevenstring.org. He's really skilled.

Is it 27" scale length like I think it looks?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yes, sir, it is!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Yes, sir, it is!

Oh poo poo oh gently caress no no no this is bad. No. No. gently caress. Looks like I got the 'tism.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The headstock joint and neck ended up really nice looking, but that body looks awful.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i went through a period as a teenager where i seriously wanted to learn how to build guitars

i mean i'd probably just make telecaster and jazzmaster copies because i have really basic alt-rock tastes, but still, a dream unrealized~~~

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Allen Wren posted:

I respect the playing in bluegrass, but bluegrass songs make me want to die. Lyrically, they're basically all twitter of the 1850s.

saw my baby at the docks today

(it's an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like)

That is the best description of bluegrass lyrics I've ever heard. One time I found myself at a bluegrass festival (it was in some downtown area of a really small town with a lot of other poo poo going on that day) and the best song of the day had lyrics roughly as follows:

There's a hole in the ground

Considering how complicated the music can be, I've always wonderedI if the musicians who play it are actually totally self aware of how dumb it is in its celebration of the completely mundane, and that I'm just not in on the joke.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

ugly guitar but cool image sequence of the effort that was put into it:

http://imgur.com/gallery/KVFdp

that thing is grody but there's some really neat ideas going on like the bridge ground tail, wiring harness, and using threaded inserts

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GreatGreen posted:

That is the best description of bluegrass lyrics I've ever heard. One time I found myself at a bluegrass festival (it was in some downtown area of a really small town with a lot of other poo poo going on that day) and the best song of the day had lyrics roughly as follows:

Considering how complicated the music can be, I've always wonderedI if the musicians who play it are actually totally self aware of how dumb it is in its celebration of the completely mundane, and that I'm just not in on the joke.

Observations from watching my father play folk music over the last 30 years:

1) There are basically two types of folk song; the drunken one and the sad one. The drunken one is generally a variation on the one about the hole, and designed to be simple enough to remember the lyrics while drinking. The sad one is slow and 137 verses long and probably about either a tragic couple or the local industry closing down. If you sing a slow one at a public session you are basically Hitler.

1a) There are basically two types of musicians; the drunken one and the musical one. Each session needs at least two of the latter to keep things moving. They will play twelve instruments and know every folk song of the last two hundred years. They have beards. Once at least two of the musical ones have gathered, an indefinite amount of the first type will begin to spontaneously appear. There is no upper limit on how many of them will arrive, but none of them will be able to play more than three chords (see point 3a). They have beards.

2) Playing folk music is basically a subset of alcoholism. My dad's group claimed they were valuable supporters of local traditions and historical music. In reality they're a drinking club with an occasional dancing and singing problem.

3) All folk songs sound the same and use the same chords. No-one ever remembers the titles. Instead, sessions use a semi-mystical system based on beer intake and intuition to decide what song they are playing next. Someone will start a tune and after the first two bars anyone who has imbibed sufficient alcohol to remember the melody will join in. The sober ones will sit it out, unless they become drunk enough during the course of the tune or are sufficiently talented to pick it up along the way (this never happens at a public session).

3a) As a result of the above, most folk songs are only three chords because remembering any more than that by the end of a session can be difficult.

4) My family house is not large enough to escape the sound of an Accordion if one is being played inside. The sound will pass through doors and walls without any regard for insulation. I was incredibly happy when I moved out. My dad has since taken up the banjo, probably to keep me from moving back.

5) When folk music is about to be played you have to start with either a long drawn-out Accordion drone or a man sticking his finger in his ear and intoning 'ummmm-nyaaaaah' or similar. This is to give innocent bystanders time to flee.

To complete my observations, here's a picture of my dad (on the right) getting ready to play with his band. I had a uniquely humiliating childhood at times.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

darkwasthenight posted:

Observations from watching my father play folk music over the last 30 years:

1) There are basically two types of folk song; the drunken one and the sad one. The drunken one is generally a variation on the one about the hole, and designed to be simple enough to remember the lyrics while drinking. The sad one is slow and 137 verses long and probably about either a tragic couple or the local industry closing down. If you sing a slow one at a public session you are basically Hitler.

1a) There are basically two types of musicians; the drunken one and the musical one. Each session needs at least two of the latter to keep things moving. They will play twelve instruments and know every folk song of the last two hundred years. They have beards. Once at least two of the musical ones have gathered, an indefinite amount of the first type will begin to spontaneously appear. There is no upper limit on how many of them will arrive, but none of them will be able to play more than three chords (see point 3a). They have beards.

2) Playing folk music is basically a subset of alcoholism. My dad's group claimed they were valuable supporters of local traditions and historical music. In reality they're a drinking club with an occasional dancing and singing problem.

3) All folk songs sound the same and use the same chords. No-one ever remembers the titles. Instead, sessions use a semi-mystical system based on beer intake and intuition to decide what song they are playing next. Someone will start a tune and after the first two bars anyone who has imbibed sufficient alcohol to remember the melody will join in. The sober ones will sit it out, unless they become drunk enough during the course of the tune or are sufficiently talented to pick it up along the way (this never happens at a public session).

3a) As a result of the above, most folk songs are only three chords because remembering any more than that by the end of a session can be difficult.

4) My family house is not large enough to escape the sound of an Accordion if one is being played inside. The sound will pass through doors and walls without any regard for insulation. I was incredibly happy when I moved out. My dad has since taken up the banjo, probably to keep me from moving back.

5) When folk music is about to be played you have to start with either a long drawn-out Accordion drone or a man sticking his finger in his ear and intoning 'ummmm-nyaaaaah' or similar. This is to give innocent bystanders time to flee.

To complete my observations, here's a picture of my dad (on the right) getting ready to play with his band. I had a uniquely humiliating childhood at times.

same

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Pondex posted:

Was that the best or the worst thing you've ever experienced?

I was drinking kind of heavily so I thought it was quite a bit of fun. I've decided upright basses are comedy props though. It's like a giant violin, how weird!

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

To be fair, everyone there knew how to play, played in various bands (my uncle has his own, his wife plays upright bass in several, the fiddler plays with the local symphony, and some husband/wife Nashville duo "2country4nashville") various other amateurs he knew filtered in and out. Plus my uncle builds his guitars and occasionally for others (he's got a couple big threads on done builder forum), I think in general they're rather self aware of their genre and it's easier to dance to that stuff than blues anyway.

Honestly I was rolling on like two Miller highlifes and half a klonopin and I was thinking it's basically no different than like some big southern rap party-vaguely misogynistic lyrics and lifestyle, raucous drinking and dancing, and a culture pretty alien to me.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I have a theory that "Folkiness is next to dadliness"

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

Extended range bass face.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Well, now I understand why you'd play a giant bass (small penis/does not play well with others).

That video lead me to this:
:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpbAV72W_JY :nms:

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgnYzWY0rEY

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What the gently caress is that sweatband thing those basses have at the nut?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

What the gently caress is that sweatband thing those basses have at the nut?

It's some snake oil thing they use to keep those strings from vibrating and causing excess noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jEk4Wow7Ts&t=672s

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It prevents random overtones when playing low tunings with high gain. Longer scale instruments, string through or floyd rose guitars don't usually need it but they're the most likely to have it fitted because it's often seen as a magical fix for studio metal recordings. Works brilliant on short scale basses, 8 string guitars and the Bass VI. Or if you drop a Gibson down to C tuning.

Not usually a major problem to leave it off but my bass VI makes a weird noise under distortion. Kinda like a phone ringing through a wall, if I don't stick a bit of velcro outside the bridge and nut.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like noise so I'm never going to use one.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Verizian posted:

It prevents random overtones when playing low tunings with high gain. Longer scale instruments, string through or floyd rose guitars don't usually need it but they're the most likely to have it fitted because it's often seen as a magical fix for studio metal recordings. Works brilliant on short scale basses, 8 string guitars and the Bass VI. Or if you drop a Gibson down to C tuning.

Not usually a major problem to leave it off but my bass VI makes a weird noise under distortion. Kinda like a phone ringing through a wall, if I don't stick a bit of velcro outside the bridge and nut.

Any guitar with sufficient length behind the bridge or nut to introduce sympathetic overtones will do this when you use enough gain or compression for the pickups to catch it. Huge basses with ridiculous headstocks like in the video will have a lot of string above the nut to resonate, and the Bass VI has an offset trem system so will ring behind the bridge like the Jag and JM do. Doesn't bother me too much normally but I do notice it when I'm playing tight rhythms higher up the neck.

Some people actually like using the 'third bridge' sound on offsets and you can get trem plates that replace the arm with a mounting for a pickup so you can amplify the overtones easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytsbQVVuTM

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

darkwasthenight posted:

Any guitar with sufficient length behind the bridge or nut to introduce sympathetic overtones will do this when you use enough gain or compression for the pickups to catch it. Huge basses with ridiculous headstocks like in the video will have a lot of string above the nut to resonate, and the Bass VI has an offset trem system so will ring behind the bridge like the Jag and JM do. Doesn't bother me too much normally but I do notice it when I'm playing tight rhythms higher up the neck.

Some people actually like using the 'third bridge' sound on offsets and you can get trem plates that replace the arm with a mounting for a pickup so you can amplify the overtones easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytsbQVVuTM

Hrm.

I see why certain people would want that guitar but really I just want a decent 12-string with a reasonably low action.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yep that's why I bought a reel of Velcro for £2 from eBay. Well main use is cable management but also my VI and Eclipse get a strip that can be quickly ripped off if I want to play chimey stuff behind the bridge.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Jake E Lee's vocalist sings the wrong song for the first three and a half minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7HulGDkgYM

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Verizian posted:

It prevents random overtones when playing low tunings with high gain. Longer scale instruments, string through or floyd rose guitars don't usually need it but they're the most likely to have it fitted because it's often seen as a magical fix for studio metal recordings.

it's really more of a problem if you're recording direct

also lol at people with floyds using them but not stuffing tubing in the trem springs which cause even more noise

also double lol at people spending like $30 on what's basically a few cents worth of velcro and weatherstripping

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Would.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
http://www.guitarsbydiamond.com/catalog/

I saw some of these guys in person, weird looking stuff, but super nice feeling outside of being tremendously thin bodies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I guess they finally changed their name from DBZ guitars

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Allen Wren posted:

I just want a decent 12-string with a reasonably low action.
God I love my MIJ Venus 12-string for this. If you can find one, snap it up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

muike posted:

I guess they finally changed their name from DBZ guitars

who would ever change that name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
people who are too old to understand that i want a piccolo guitar. a piccolo themed guitar, not a piccolo guitar

• Locked thread