Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
If you want to bring something this year, whether it be a pie, casserole, or 2 pounds of cream cheese, you are more than welcome too. Try to let me know though, as we don't want to have a situation where we 25 pies.

I'll post an anticipated menu about a month beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

If you want to bring something this year, whether it be a pie, casserole, or 2 pounds of cream cheese, you are more than welcome too. Try to let me know though, as we don't want to have a situation where we 25 pies.

I'll post an anticipated menu about a month beforehand.

I was considering bringing a large trash bag of chickencheese. It will not be warm.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I stole 40 pies. That's as much as 4 10s. And that's terrible.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I stole 40 pies. That's as much as 4 10s. And that's terrible.

Well at least it wasn't literally all of the unopened bags of honey butter chips like last year.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Is Hwayo Soju any good or still too expensive?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My friend's boss once gave him a bottle of some fancy rear end $100 Andong soju as a Chuseok gift. It was significantly worse than regular soju. He kept it around to trick people into drinking because he is an rear end in a top hat.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I'm a big fan of the black bottle Hwayo.

I've found that Andong soju tastes a lot like white/unaged whiskey. Just a rough grain alcohol. That said I still like it as well..

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like the Andong soju that comes in a bottle shaped like a little boy / girl. It's tasty, and makes for good gifts as well. I got it at the airport and have no idea what the brand name is.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm really in a bad relationship with soju. On one hand, I don't taste it anymore and can get really drunk for cheap.

On the other hand, I wake up with 18 hour hangovers where nerves on part of my face don't quite work right leaving me feel like local anesthesia.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Hwayo can be pretty good and cheap for liquor here. A few restaurants I respect make decent cocktails with it too. Like, cocktails with care not just masking the flavor. There are definitely better ones out there, but it's one of the worst price=quality items out there. My favorite is one that's really hard to get, but is only like 40k.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

This thread seems pretty dead. Did everyone go home because all the jobs dried up or what?

I don't miss only having alcohol as a way to relax. Sadly, soju is now $7/bottle for me if I ever want it.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

TreFitty posted:

This thread seems pretty dead. Did everyone go home because all the jobs dried up or what?

I don't miss only having alcohol as a way to relax. Sadly, soju is now $7/bottle for me if I ever want it.

Hey get back into chat.

In other news I went up Seoraksan last Thursday.

nervana fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 10, 2015

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

AmbientParadox posted:

Well at least it wasn't literally all of the unopened bags of honey butter chips like last year.

That isn't what happened. They were specifically bought for a girl and I assume the printers made their way to said girl.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
drat you guys went to the top?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

AmbientParadox posted:

On the other hand, I wake up with 18 hour hangovers where nerves on part of my face don't quite work right leaving me feel like local anesthesia.

Sounds like you really need a glass of water.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Sounds like you really need a glass of water.

Sounds like you need to get off your lovely high horse, you bourgeoisie gently caress

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aesis posted:

drat you guys went to the top?

Yeah, Nervana hit the Uslanbawi trail (visible on the left side of my second photo), and myself and one other goon (dunno his forum user id) hit the Gongryeong Ridge. Trees were at peak color:

Dunno why everyone doesn't make this an annual tradition.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I never went up to Ulsan Rock because :effort:

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Japan goon visiting Seoul for a week. Would love an invite to kakao group.

ID is bdom28

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Rekka posted:

Japan goon visiting Seoul for a week. Would love an invite to kakao group.

ID is bdom28

ID not showing up. Make sure to set ID to "searchable".

*edit* nevermind

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hi, can someone give me advice for how to get the national insurance if I'm on a student visa? The insurance I had when I was on my e2 visa and working is obviously gone.

Is it possible to get back on the national insurance? I did some googling and it looked like it was if I paid myself into it, but I couldn't find any clear instructions explaining how to actually do it.

Also, how much does it cost a month if it is possible? I read a few different things that disagreed, and I know things like that change very often.

Thanks.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

Hi, can someone give me advice for how to get the national insurance if I'm on a student visa? The insurance I had when I was on my e2 visa and working is obviously gone.

Is it possible to get back on the national insurance? I did some googling and it looked like it was if I paid myself into it, but I couldn't find any clear instructions explaining how to actually do it.

Also, how much does it cost a month if it is possible? I read a few different things that disagreed, and I know things like that change very often.

Thanks.

http://oia.snu.ac.kr/04life_at_snu/0404_03.html
Found that from SNU. I glanced at it and its 35k/mo? It looks like its processed / handled through the university, so you'll need to get in touch with them for specifics.

edit:
more: http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr/en/sub/overseas_info/life/life_insurance.do

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 19, 2015

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Thanks a lot AmbientParadox, that makes a lot of sense.

I guess this is good timing cuz I'm just about to get my new ARC in a couple days.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

Thanks a lot AmbientParadox, that makes a lot of sense.

I guess this is good timing cuz I'm just about to get my new ARC in a couple days.

hey no problem. want to come back to chat? You were the guac to our nachos :unsmith:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A deep brown digested guac

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

Chuseok has passed, now it's time for AMERICA!

And lovely mspaints I threw together when I was supposed to be working

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 28th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going simpler, with down home cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Maxsmart has stepped up to be lead chef this year and I'll be supplementing him where able. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

Still plenty of time to sign up, I'll be putting out the first menu here soon.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I +1'd

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

But will there be group forum reading on a big screen and goons calling other goons racists? You left out all the important details, sir.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I see EPIK requires you to send a birth certificate with an Apostille now. Are they worried Carlos The Jackal is going to slip through the cracks?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

joedevola posted:

I see EPIK requires you to send a birth certificate with an Apostille now. Are they worried Carlos The Jackal is going to slip through the cracks?

You should see what your own country's work visa requirements are before you criticize tbh

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

TreFitty posted:

But will there be group forum reading on a big screen and goons calling other goons racists? You left out all the important details, sir.

Well don't be a racist and it won't happen?

Nah, j/k, it's calmed down since the inaugural meeting.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Love Stole the Day posted:

You should see what your own country's work visa requirements are before you criticize tbh

When you're the best, you can afford to be picky. :911:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

TreFitty posted:

last year was just drunk smash bros and cats. Otherwise is was more relaxed than a hammock between two palm trees.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Truthfully I miss a bunch of people in Korea, but there was at least one year when I didn't like the vibe even a little bit. I wasn't helping anything, I'll admit, but it's good to hear it was recovered. I'll be over here in America for this Thanksgiving, though...first in 8 years or so.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

To anyone who has finished the spousal immigration process (IR-1/CR-1 Korea -> US):
We just got our Packet 3, and scheduled the health check. Should we schedule the interview now, or wait until we have the medical report in-hand?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Anyone know if the German Christmas Festival will happen this year? Hands down one of my favorite Christmas events in Seoul.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Onion Knight posted:

To anyone who has finished the spousal immigration process (IR-1/CR-1 Korea -> US):
We just got our Packet 3, and scheduled the health check. Should we schedule the interview now, or wait until we have the medical report in-hand?

My wife's Chinese, and maybe things are done a little differently there; but she got her interview appointment, then went to do the health check, then went to the interview. You don't need to wait to schedule it, unless they won't let you schedule it that far in advance.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onion Knight posted:

I would schedule it now as there will be quite some time before there is an open interview timeslot. We booked in early Sept and the soonest opening was Nov 22. We skirted that by clicking the Priority Status or whatever and booking for Oct 5 then explaining that we had a time constraint when they contacted and said Hey you arent priority you can't do that! and they gave us an Oct 8 date.
Maybe next time have an actual confirmation on your lovely site next time guys and I wont exploit your dumb system haha.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I require a favour. I am composing a Master's Dissertation and I need to cite the fact that a sign exists. I would like to take a photograph of it but I am no longer in Korea. Could I send one of you on a quest to take a photograph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DreadLlama posted:

I require a favour. I am composing a Master's Dissertation and I need to cite the fact that a sign exists. I would like to take a photograph of it but I am no longer in Korea. Could I send one of you on a quest to take a photograph?

be more specific and maybe