Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Andrast posted:

I'm actually really surprised how common it is to get Persona 4 character arcs and themes wrong considering how much the game beats you over the head with them.

Some of it is genuine misunderstanding and trying to fit japanese 2008 sexuality mindset into current era treatment of sexuality

Some of it is assuming Troy Baker knows what he's talking about in that one Con video just because he voiced Kanji (That's not how it works at all)

Some of it are people that are literally calling every character minimum bisexual because blushing=wanting to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

best solution is to go back and play the game for yourself. Or take about ten days and read the LP so you can refresh your memory.

Anyway, Jojo may not come back into conversation on its own but has anyone seen this video before or no? I've been wanting to share it for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsQINWCCe14

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm really not fond of the whole "oh, this character might be a homossexual, she/he can't explain feelings for someone of the same se...oh it was the opposite sex all along gay averted" trope that shows up in media every so often. That being said, Kanji was at best open for a bissexual interpretation, so I don't think he was ever supposed to be gay, just overcompensating and insecure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

I'm really not fond of the whole "oh, this character might be a homossexual, she/he can't explain feelings for someone of the same se...oh it was the opposite sex all along gay averted" trope that shows up in media every so often. That being said, Kanji was at best open for a bissexual interpretation, so I don't think he was ever supposed to be gay, just overcompensating and insecure.

Kanji's sexual orientation doesn't really matter for his character arc at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That was, indeed, the entire point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, yeah, I'm agreeing with you guys.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just a month ago people were calling Samus trans cause of a trans slur a Japanese developer used to describe her Chozo heritage. The media gets off on forcing representation where there isn't and then going all "death of the author!" without actually understanding what that means.
You should see what happens if a crossdressing character is mentioned.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 10, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That was hardly "the media" and I can't really blame people for wanting representation even if they're occasionally looking for it in the wrong place

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

That was hardly "the media" and I can't really blame people for wanting representation even if they're occasionally looking for it in the wrong place

There's a line between wanting more representation and outright ignoring cultural boundries and style of comedy

Like putting out an article that a standard japanese gag about a girl liking pretty girls becomes Game Forces Drugs To Lesbian To be Straight because of tumbler

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Japanese comedy is largely terrible and should be ignored wherever possible

Seriously though I think Kanji would have been more memorable if he was actually gay but what we got was decent enough.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Didn't Pat reveal that after harassing Woolie to play Persona he never actually finished any of them? I got a pretty strong feeling he never played 4 and just knows of Kanji's shadow because there's no way you could gently caress up Kanji's message that hard unless you see his Shadow and judge everything on that alone.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Didn't Pat reveal that after harassing Woolie to play Persona he never actually finished any of them? I got a pretty strong feeling he never played 4 and just knows of Kanji's shadow because there's no way you could gently caress up Kanji's message that hard unless you see his Shadow and judge everything on that alone.

I think that was just 3. I think the file they save over at the end of the P4 Machinima episode was a clear file.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pat said he never "finished" 3 by beating the boss because it took an hour for him and he died, so he just youtubed the ending afterward.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I thought he never finished 3 cause someone spoiled him on the main character dying so he didn't feel like playing anymore?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, it's impossible for anyone with some understanding of college to misinterpret what the original game put out: http://anitay.kinja.com/thoughts-from-outside-a-rebuttal-to-gabriella-evans-re-1726416690

The screenshots put it in the most plain possible that he ain't gay. I blame Liam for his influence.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

HGH posted:

I thought he never finished 3 cause someone spoiled him on the main character dying so he didn't feel like playing anymore?

i hope not because the video that plays when you put the disc in spoils that

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Holy poo poo, that new opening for Undertale is pretty great.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Goatmother is no longer dead. This fills you with DETERMINATION.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, I thought that it was going to be three episodes and then the fourth one was going to be the 'oops, reset that didn't happen' one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder if they'll ever realize you can just Spare to pass turns in boss fights.

Or if they'll start regularly checking enemies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, don't gotta punch future friends at all and whatnot :v:

Also shame Matt didn't just hold up to jump over the forest of bones, it's one of my favorite gags. Also see the intro is made by Cranky- I thought one of the guys on the team was doing it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I wonder if they'll ever realize you can just Spare to pass turns in boss fights.

He's going to accidentally murder someone, calling it now. Especially with how damage is finagled with spared enemies.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Phantasium posted:

He's going to accidentally murder someone, calling it now. Especially with how damage is finagled with spared enemies.

I was afraid it was going to happen every time they picked Fight. It was riveting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

doos posted:

I was afraid it was going to happen every time they picked Fight. It was riveting.

It's a good thing Papyrus is so strong.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I love the genuine joy Matt takes in Undertale. He wasn't the one I was expecting to go all-in for the weird heartwarming/creepypasta meta jrpg but it's great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

doos posted:

This game is a joy to watch people play fresh. :allears: My favorite was watching a couple of people get boned to death by Papyrus multiple times because they didn't think they were allowed to move after he did his fabled Blue Attack.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Genocyber posted:

This is like one of my very few criticisms of Undertale: pacifist boss battles eschew the Act system after getting one or two prompts right and from that point on you can just spam Spare to progress through the battle. It would have been moderately cooler if bosses had longer Act chains.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pandaK posted:

This is like one of my very few criticisms of Undertale: pacifist boss battles eschew the Act system after getting one or two prompts right and from that point on you can just spam Spare to progress through the battle. It would have been moderately cooler if bosses had longer Act chains.

Act has various uses for later fights to be fair- and there's still enemies similar to greater dog that do require chains to hit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Matt, you don't need to use the Fight command at all through the entire run, or when you DO need to use the Fight command, it will be EXTREMELY APPARENT when you do. Here is very slightly more specifics that don't spoil anything in particular: one late-game fight forces you to fight.

The life bars are super deceptive in Undertale, as you probably noticed with Toriel during the original run where it went down slowly and then suddenly you gibbed her from half health. There's a good chance if you keep occasionally punching monsters you encounter that you'll accidentally one-shot one, since some have very little or no defense.

New dialogue is the key for progression in a Boss Monster fight. If they're not saying anything new after 2-3 rounds, you might need to use a different Act command, Spare, attempt to flee, etc.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 11, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The game tends to assume that if you're taking something's health that low that you're intending to actually kill them. So it's just helping you along a bit in that regard. Maybe if you don't want to kill things you should try not punching away more than half of their health? Perhaps try all the combat options through the process of elimination since Fight Act and Item aren't your only visible options? Who knows, you might find something shocking from doing so!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CALM DOWN, FAN BASE

TRY TO CALM DOWN

UNTIL DAWN?? UNTIL DAWN!!

TRY TO CALM DOWN

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just rewatched Dong Dong and man, Matt, I know you guys always give it 100% and I'm sure there's tons of more great scrublords in the future...but how do you top this. How do you top the dong?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god matt stop pressing the fight button. Period. You're giving me a heart attack thinking you'll end the pacifist run by mistake, there's like a million different options you could take to skip turns. hell, using CHECK and SPARE each time works!

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, they probably already have most of the playthrough finished already though so I guess we are just going to have to deal with Matt punching dudes. I never even picked fight on my first playthrough because I kind of knew about the game's tagline before I played it. "A RPG where no one has to get hurt". It's kind of weird how 20+ years of playing RPGs can make someone think that they have to kill monsters for no reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cmykjester posted:

Yeah, they probably already have most of the playthrough finished already though so I guess we are just going to have to deal with Matt punching dudes. I never even picked fight on my first playthrough because I kind of knew about the game's tagline before I played it. "A RPG where no one has to get hurt". It's kind of weird how 20+ years of playing RPGs can make someone think that they have to kill monsters for no reason.

It's not like you're always throwing the first punch right?

But really, it's just that everyone learned proper fight response from Durarara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbbsTURM2s&t=116s

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

cmykjester posted:

If you play the demo how you're sort of expected to, it gives you a head start. Since it ends after Toriel, Flowey's taunting message about how "it's not like you can go back and change things" is supposed to be taken as a challenge, so you reload, try again with MORE DETERMINATION, save her, and Flowey somehow knows what you did. The problem is that a lot of people are really quick to think "oh well guess I had no choice" and keep going in the full game for whatever reason. I think Toby was a little too optimistic about how sharp people would be when it comes to Flowey's hint and the fact that no, you really don't need to kill ANYTHING, you aren't forced to kill Toriel just because nothing happened after a single attempt at Sparing.

There's a lot of gun jumping that can happen in this game if you're not Determined enough to solve the questions it poses without resorting to violence.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One thing I'm curious about is if Matt just skipped all the lines to get back to where they were. There's actually quite a bit of a rewrite that happens that Matt should of saw but never mentioned.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's another Undertale on Vessel too, maybe we're on a steady stream of them now?

Aren't you happy?

Aren't you excited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rewatched the start of 3 and still amused at "maybe we can stay for free?" then leaving.

You could stay for free!