Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well that's good, nice to hear he's pro expanding DACA style programs. Obviously it would have been very surprising if he went full Trump with "ACTUALLY KICK EM ALL OUT AND LOCK THE DOOR" but his lack of solid statements about stuff like naturalizing the guys already here, visa programs, the general complete farce of an immigration system seemed to raise some hackles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It makes sense, we have a pretty good-sized Hispanic community here in Colorado, though probably not as much in Boulder...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea can't speak for Boulder but Colorado in general is a solid place to focus on immigration issues. Lots of room to talk about the real issues to an audience who probably cares about them without the shadow of "MR CANDIDATE SHOULD WE NOT PUT A SELF HEALING MINEFIELD ON THE BORDER THO" due to location.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well sure, but can't the party itself say "you're not a Republican, go run as a LIbertarian" or something?

The thing is that where the parties get a say, these sorts of decisions are made at the local or congressional district level which in tea party districts tend to be tea-party-controlled. Just because the national leadership and/or people in think tanks and opinion columns hate this stuff doesn't mean it's not popular with a solid chunk of the lower-level party folks.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's the key problem with the tea party, the GOP has been stoking neo-fascists and archconservatives for so long that they now comprise a significant part of the local party structure.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

Looks like Clinton's email "scandal" is going to reverse even more for the GOP:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bradley-podliska-benghazi-committee-allegations

They really could only keep the Benghazi train going for so long.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Prosecution claims shooting of Tamir Rice was "tragic but reasonable"

For those who have trouble keeping all the names straight, this was the 12 year old boy who was playing with a toy gun in a park and swiftly executed by police arriving on the scene. The 911 caller claimed he believed the gun was fake, and police did not offer any aid as the boy lay dying (he died the next day). Video exists and is brutal.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

A Bag of Milk posted:

Prosecution claims shooting of Tamir Rice was "tragic but reasonable"

For those who have trouble keeping all the names straight, this was the 12 year old boy who was playing with a toy gun in a park and swiftly executed by police arriving on the scene. The 911 caller claimed he believed the gun was fake, and police did not offer any aid as the boy lay dying (he died the next day). Video exists and is brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVewrqGFRw

I'm giving you 1 second to comply, then i'm shoot you, handcuff your sister, and blame the media.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Cabbit posted:

Las Vegas, so absolutely abysmal. Came as a bit of a shock when I did a bachelor's degree in Texas and found out that my grasp of math was sub-HS even by their standards.

Oh gently caress theres your problem. I'm legitimately sorry for you, Las Vegas is the cesspit of the west.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Mitt Romney posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bradley-podliska-benghazi-committee-allegations

this is almost as good as realizing that mccarthy is a blathering moron when it comes to speaking outloud

quote:

Podliska, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told CNN that he decided to come forward because he didn't feel the committee was carrying out its stated purpose to uncover the truth about the deaths of the four Americans who died in the September 11, 2012 attacks in Benghazi.

"What happened was wrong," he told CNN.

"I'm scared. I'm nervous. I know that this is, you know, I'm going up against powerful people in Washington," he added. "But at the end of the day I need to live with myself. I told my wife, I will view myself as a coward if I don't do the right thing here."

lol theyre hosed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

joeburz posted:

this is almost as good as realizing that mccarthy is a blathering moron when it comes to speaking outloud

lol theyre hosed

seems like everything is falling apart for the GOP of late. Good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good, keep this in the media as long as possible.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Little-known fact: The Constitution does not require that the Speaker of the House be a member of Congress. This got us thinking -- always dangerous, but also fun. Why should those wild and crazy Republicans, whose caucus is reminiscent of the Washington Nationals' dugout, elevate one of their own to that august chair? Why not think way out of the box to find a new leader?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly, the GOP has struck out twice now. Boehner leaving, McCarthy refusing, and now if Paul Ryan has any goddamn sense he'd flee back to his district or claim that he cannot do the job because of family obligations. The far right will destroy Ryan as soon as he says " Okay, maybe we shouldn't send the world economy into global depression" .

If Ryan compromises then he's out. Just like Eric Cantor. Going into the Speaker Job from what I understand Boehner was pretty well respected now most of the base now hates him because they are all loving crazy.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That's not a little known fact ITT.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is it possible to force Boehner out?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

joeburz posted:

lol theyre hosed

I really, really hope he was smart enough (or they were dumb enough) to have something written down.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Peel posted:

No. Both because no one can currently agree on a new speaker, and also because he already said he's leaving, so it's impossible to force him out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best scenario is The GOP cannibalizing any experienced politician. Then watching people like Dave Brat get into those coveted seats of long standing Republicans with actual experience and completely making GBS threads the bed.

https://twitter.com/RepDaveBrat?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Like seriously this is what these fuckers believe:

quote:

The next Speaker should make these 10 commitments before stepping into the position of trust.
http://1.usa.gov/1VD58UC
[/quote

1. Facilitate a budget that balances within 10 years and seek to enforce it through the authorizing and appropriations process.

2. Encourage committees to advance market-driven health care reforms to replace Obamacare.

3. Support policies that secure the border and enable interior enforcement while opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants.

4. Urge all committees to advance agendas based on limited government, economic opportunity, and fiscal responsibility.

5. Enforce the rule of law and separation of powers against executive (presidential) overreach.

Process

6. Seek reforms of the Republican Conference Rules so leadership committees better represent the American people.

7. Adhere to the majority-of-the-majority principle for bringing legislation to the floor.

8. Support changes to the budget process to promote fiscal responsibility, particularly regarding mandatory programs (70% of current spending).

9. Empower committee members to choose chairs and craft reform legislation without fear of retaliation.

10. Broaden opportunities to offer amendments and legislation on the House floor with full debate.
[/quote]

This is basically the future of the GOP.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 11, 2015

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Make bobby jindah the speaker. do it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Peel posted:

Yes but it'd only get like 30 votes total.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So, let's say they go full 1860s and consider amending House rules to permit a plurality Speaker. The Freedom Caucus doesn't have the numbers to keeps the non Tortilla Coasters from electing a Republican with out them. The remaining Republican members posses enough votes today keeps the gavel from Nancy.

So, by my reading of the situation, the Democrats don't have any incentive to back a rules change. So I'm guessing they ride it out until the Republicans get their poo poo straight or the :airquote: Moderate Republicans :airquote: come to them to broker a compromise Speaker.

Thoughts?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hooded Reptile posted:

Yes, yeeeees

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They don't compromise because they are crazy people.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hollismason posted:

If Ryan compromises then he's out. Just like Eric Cantor. Going into the Speaker Job from what I understand Boehner was pretty well respected now most of the base now hates him because they are all loving crazy.

Just a small note here, Cantor got primaried because he was a real dumb motherfucker. He was actively hostile toward the base that elected him to his position, and didn't understand that Dems being ejected from his district after the 2010 census redistricting meant he'd have to deal with more right wingers. It wasn't just a general anti-establishment sentiment that cost Cantor his job.

That was certainly a piece of it, but Cantor worked hard for years to piss people off. He hadn't bothered to actually run a proper campaign since 2000, and his response to Brat was loving campaign ads instead of actual campaigning.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 11, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Right but it was still a serious loss for the Republican party in terms of leadership just like it's a loss of leadership for Boehner to retire. It'll be a further loss if Ryan doesn't accept the job or the first time he pisses them off they have someone who's looney tunes run in his district.

Like the Republican party with Cantor really did shoot itself in it's foot. Brat literally believes in a Theocratic government.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mitt Romney posted:

Not at all a surprise but utterly hilarious nonetheless and if they did fire him partly because he had active duty obligations then Christmas has come early.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How many Charlie Dent-esque moderate R's are left in the House anyway? I want to see a Northeast Caucus get into a floor brawl with the Freedom Caucus.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DOOP posted:

How many Charlie Dent-esque moderate R's are left in the House anyway? I want to see a Northeast Caucus get into a floor brawl with the Freedom Caucus.

I want this to happen so Raul Labrador gets a black eye.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

So, let's say they go full 1860s and consider amending House rules to permit a plurality Speaker. The Freedom Caucus doesn't have the numbers to keeps the non Tortilla Coasters from electing a Republican with out them. The remaining Republican members posses enough votes today keeps the gavel from Nancy.

So, by my reading of the situation, the Democrats don't have any incentive to back a rules change. So I'm guessing they ride it out until the Republicans get their poo poo straight or the :airquote: Moderate Republicans :airquote: come to them to broker a compromise Speaker.

Thoughts?

Democrats in the house actually care about national elections, so I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to reject anything but unconditional surrender in the form of electing Pelosi or her direct successor, or allow the republicans to flail until 2016.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

mcclay posted:

Oh gently caress theres your problem. I'm legitimately sorry for you, Las Vegas is the cesspit of the west.

It really, really is. I'd move back to just about any part of Texas in a heartbeat to escape this human wasteland.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
So Jerry Brown approved automatic voter registration in California today.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-on-motor-voter-bill-20150917-story.html

God, I love my state.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hooded Reptile posted:

That's one way to get rid of the demons in the capitol building.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cbservo posted:

So Jerry Brown approved automatic voter registration in California today.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-on-motor-voter-bill-20150917-story.html

God, I love my state.

That's only if you visit a DMV. There's already a federal program to register to vote at DMVs, this just makes it mandatory instead of voluntary.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

That's only if you visit a DMV. There's already a federal program to register to vote at DMVs, this just makes it mandatory instead of voluntary.

It doesn't make it mandatory, it makes it so that they are registered by default, rather than opt-in. People can still opt out though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mitt Romney posted:

to be fair. everyone on both sides already knew this, it was an open secret that no one could "confirm". now its done.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

It doesn't make it mandatory, it makes it so that they are registered by default, rather than opt-in. People can still opt out though.

When they sure to declare this unconstitutional, mandatory is going to be the word they use. My client doesn't want to be on a list of registered voters, it's a violation of his free speech to have mandatory registration, as his decision to not register is an act of protest.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

joeburz posted:

lol theyre hosed

A conservative Republican Air Force reserve major turning on the Benghazi committee after being fired for not being a political tool and for taking leave to serve his country?

Color me skeptical, just because it seems almost too perfect.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

greatn posted:

When they sure to declare this unconstitutional, mandatory is going to be the word they use. My client doesn't want to be on a list of registered voters, it's a violation of his free speech to have mandatory registration, as his decision to not register is an act of protest.

Its not mandatory, its just switched from opt-in to opt-out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Glumslinger posted:

Its not mandatory, its just switched from opt-in to opt-out

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure Republicans have lawyers working on a case to declare this law illegal. I don't think they'll succeed, but it will be a hostile transparent show off contempt for voters.

• Locked thread