Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Ugh, the apple store reserve and pickup service in the UK seems to be getting a total of 5 iPhone 6s+ 64Gb devices a day, for the whole country. Of which none have been in apple stores near me.

It doesn't sound nearly that scarce in the USA, not sure quite why apple would want to make the UK supply quite so low. I've already ordered online, but it's gonna be another 2 weeks+. It's kind of not worth even offering the reservation service at this level, they should just deliver these phones to people waiting for online orders.

Is there some automated eBay sniping style app that everyone else is using to reserve these phones before I even see them (at 6am)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

bobfather posted:

And TMSC phones do 20% better in that battery benchmark, though Samsung phones are like < 5% faster in Geekbench's "CPU speed" tests. Intuitively this makes sense, since a phone that can cycle through tests faster will also run down the battery faster if it's a faster chip, but not also more efficient.

Has this changed since the story first "broke"? Because the original story suggested TMSC chips were better on battery and slightly faster. Which is different to my real-world test where my Samsung beat my mate's TMSC slightly in the performance test. It's a bit of a non-story really.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

lelandjs posted:

So Anandtech put their two cents in on Samsung'd iPhones. Nothing conclusive, but they're leaning towards Apple being correct about there not being a huge difference between the chips overall and that we shouldn't trust random Redditors running battery tests.

But we have a bit of horrible reddit data, so clearly the matter is settled

M'iphone

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have any tech blogs or news outlets sounded the alarm yet, dubbing this fiasco "chipgate"?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mahoning posted:

Have any tech blogs or news outlets sounded the alarm yet, dubbing this fiasco "chipgate"?

There are people out there that want to be outraged, but until this becomes an issue beyond performance on a synthetic benchmark, I don’t see it blowing up.

TSMC master race here, btw.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

Not really, mostly just because it's a difficult thing to try to prove (in the article I linked above, Anandtech goes through the nitty-gritty of why they haven't taken on the issue proper, but it mostly boils down to the cost of getting a proper sample size). It's not like the antennagate, where anyone could observe the issue, or bendgate, which as it turned out was mostly bullshit anyway.

I have a Samsung chip in my phone, and it does seem like the battery life isn't as good as it *could* be, but then again every phone I've ever had has generally fallen short of the manufacturer's estimates besides the 6 Plus.

bobfather posted:

There are people out there that want to be outraged, but until this becomes an issue beyond performance on a synthetic benchmark, I don’t see it blowing up.

TSMC master race here, btw.

I mean, there's definitely an expect of people wanting to be outraged (RAWR STEVE WOULD HAVE NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN) but then again if Apple has released two slightly different phones with even slightly different battery lives and not told anyone, then yeah, there's some legitimate outrage to be had.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 10, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
gently caress. I have the Samy

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anand's analysis was basically "we don't know, but maybe". Hold your pitchforks, but don't throw them out. It's possible this is true, the high-level technical analysis doesn't exclude it. It's also possible it's false, and that a synthetic benchmark is exacerbating the problem. Either way, as long as Apple was honest about the specs of the device you were buying, it's not much of an issue - but you can definitely understand what someone would feel if they did get a "lesser" version of the phone for the same price.

In general, people are seeing different results from synthetic benchmarks, and we need more data to see what that means.

Don't take Anand saying "we dunno" to mean "it ain't true". Always be skeptical.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pivo posted:

In general, people are seeing different results from synthetic benchmarks, and we need more data to see what that means.

Don't take Anand saying "we dunno" to mean "it ain't true". Always be skeptical.

Yeah, exactly. Like I said, they were leaning towards Apple being right about the 2%-3% difference, but did not confirm it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So I bought Dark Sky yesterday seeing as you all seemed to be using it, and knowing when it's going to rain here in the dreary UK would be handy.

I set it to remind me when it's going to rain in the next hour:

But I just got in my car and it started raining without me getting any warning. I checked the app and it knew there was at least a decent chance of it raining:

Any ideas why I didn't get a notification of this? Is it not actually that reliable, or does it have to be 100% chance of rain to get the alert? It seems annoying if it had the data and I'd set it to alert me that I got nothing. I was within half a mile of my house when it started, so it's not like I'd driven somewhere unexpected. I don't really care when I'm in the car, but I do cycle a lot, which is why I got the app in the first place.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Not really, mostly just because it's a difficult thing to try to prove

Since when does the reactionary and click-bait driven media need proof for anything?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I have the Samsung and I get the battery life Apple listed on their site. My friend made a huge stink about how we have inferior phones blah blah blah. I don't see what the big deal is outside of nerd rage, I don't buy that in most devices Apple would allow a 20% difference in battery life. That just sounds ridiculous. Especially since the evidence was coming from pathetically small sample sizes.

Either way he has a 6s non-plus, so I agreed that he has an inferior device 6s Plus for life.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 10, 2015

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I've got a Samsung processor, but battery life is a ton better than my old nexus 5 so I don't really have a good frame of reference to compare to. I'm still extremely happy with my phone.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Samsung as well. I had the Droid MAXX (3500 mAH battery) before and my 6s+ blows the Droid out of the water. I'm a pretty heavy user and end the day around 30-40% usually. Granted the MAXX was getting old, I'm still pretty happy right now.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Froist posted:

So I bought Dark Sky yesterday seeing as you all seemed to be using it, and knowing when it's going to rain here in the dreary UK would be handy.

But I just got in my car and it started raining without me getting any warning. I checked the app and it knew there was at least a decent chance of it raining:

Any ideas why I didn't get a notification of this? Is it not actually that reliable, or does it have to be 100% chance of rain to get the alert? It seems annoying if it had the data and I'd set it to alert me that I got nothing. I was within half a mile of my house when it started, so it's not like I'd driven somewhere unexpected. I don't really care when I'm in the car, but I do cycle a lot, which is why I got the app in the first place.

Is background refresh on? Dark Sky needs it on.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

TMSC, thank loving christ.

We don't seriously care about this poo poo, don't we? It's so minor a difference that it's never going to matter in any practical way.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There are some bugs with notifications in 9.0. Palaver and Twitter are also affected, IME.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Quick question for the Apple know-alls: I bought an iPhone 6S+ out right and it was delivered the Tuesday after it initially shipped. The handset works fine, but it's a bit too big for my liking. Is there anyway I could return it and buy a regular 6S or am I kinda SOL?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Quick question for the Apple know-alls: I bought an iPhone 6S+ out right and it was delivered the Tuesday after it initially shipped. The handset works fine, but it's a bit too big for my liking. Is there anyway I could return it and buy a regular 6S or am I kinda SOL?

http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
It's funny, I have a 6, but for the last week have been using a Samsung Galaxy S5, which is halfway in size between a 6 and a 6+. I've gotten used to it. Today in the Apple store I played with a 6s+, and it didn't feel too big, whereas in Feb when I bought the 6, it did. And now I wish I had the + size.

So...maybe try it for the 14 return period? You might find that you prefer it in the end after all.

e: phone is an S5, not a 3 or 4.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 10, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't do math.

I'm going out of town tomorrow until Tuesday... gently caress...

How long does an iCloud back up take?

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 10, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phone posted:

I did the same thing since I also found the + too big. You have 14 days. You can also return it in an Apple Store instead of shipping it back. Normal 6S stock is good so you shouldn't have a problem finding one unless you want rose gold maybe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like I was already doing backups to my computer. Cool.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a way to get my Contacts and Calendar to sync via Push with my Google Contacts and Calendar? I'm already using Inbox for push Gmail, but i'd like to get my other stuff off Fetch while i'm at it.

Edit: Maybe this is better in the App thread.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 11, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need help Appling.

I have a 6S and a rMBP on El Capitan. I'm trying to get all of the sweet continuity and handoff features to work and failing miserably - the only thing that seems to work is if I have the browser open on my iPhone, an icon appears on the Macbook dock to bring it up. What I'm really missing is the SMS/Call integration. I have been completely unable to figure out how to make/receive calls from my iphone on my Mac, and it's pissing me off. I have iMessage enabled on my iphone, but can't get the damned option for forwarding to appear under the messages settings - it simply doesn't exist.

Anyone able to help?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I think phone calls go through facetime and not messages on OS X?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

I think phone calls go through facetime and not messages on OS X?

Sure is - phone calls work fine!

That isn't nearly as useful as texting though - can't figure that out still.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need help Appling.

I have a 6S and a rMBP on El Capitan. I'm trying to get all of the sweet continuity and handoff features to work and failing miserably - the only thing that seems to work is if I have the browser open on my iPhone, an icon appears on the Macbook dock to bring it up. What I'm really missing is the SMS/Call integration. I have been completely unable to figure out how to make/receive calls from my iphone on my Mac, and it's pissing me off. I have iMessage enabled on my iphone, but can't get the damned option for forwarding to appear under the messages settings - it simply doesn't exist.

Anyone able to help?

Everything goes through Bluetooth and iCloud, so check those settings and make sure your two devices are paired. Also try rebooting both. Maybe try signing in and out of iCloud on both, as well -- if you're getting app pop ups in your dock, it sounds like the two devices are successfully paired.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Sure is - phone calls work fine!

That isn't nearly as useful as texting though - can't figure that out still.

Do you have an email address enabled to receive iMessages?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

enojy posted:

Everything goes through Bluetooth and iCloud, so check those settings and make sure your two devices are paired. Also try rebooting both. Maybe try signing in and out of iCloud on both, as well -- if you're getting app pop ups in your dock, it sounds like the two devices are successfully paired.

I didn't have iMessages enabled on my Mac - I assumed being signed into iCloud would be enough, but iMessages has to be enabled separately which isn't terribly intuitive.

Got it working now though, thanks!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like I got an upgrade (was handed an A1633 handset) which is nice since I'm on Straight Talk that's piggybacking off of AT&T. :toot:

This phone is small.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

This is clearly a lie.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Looks like I got an upgrade (was handed an A1633 handset) which is nice since I'm on Straight Talk that's piggybacking off of AT&T. :toot:

This phone is small.

You need a Goldilocks phone, man. :) I'm sure you'll grow to like the 6S. But if you really think it's too small, you can go back to the + with another return.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
I guess I can test this out in a few days, but since AT&T flipped the switch on WiFi calling/texting does that mean I can text in flight using Gogo In-flight WiFi going forward?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

chicagobutters posted:

I guess I can test this out in a few days, but since AT&T flipped the switch on WiFi calling/texting does that mean I can text in flight using Gogo In-flight WiFi going forward?

Gogo blocks streaming sites, so chances are that it will block phone calls IMO.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
My iPhone 5C finally updated the OS to iOS 9 and now even the built-in apps like Safari and "typing in my passcode" respond noticeably slower. Thanks, Apple.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Froist posted:

It's not a normal notification (based on your last location or something) but a dynamic alert and the app needs to be running in the background.

I've never found the alerts very reliable and have taken to using it's day forcast to ear-mark parts of the day when i'd want to be looking at the hourly wobble line, which is nearly always perfectly in-tune with reality.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Weather Underground master race checking in. It's good, despite being acquired by The Weather Channel a few years ago. It's managed to keep its data-heavy focus and gives you a really well-rounded look at what's going on. I recommend checking it out.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honestly, once dark sky has identified an exact 5 minute period of heavy rain for you to avoid on a day when you're outside without instant access to shelter, you won't use another weather app.
Loads of stats is great but nothing beats "rain starting in 6 minutes and stopping 20 minutes later" as a practical piece of information.

I live in the UK and walk about a lot for work, so ymmv

e: all just to say, a lot of people asking why people use dark sky don't seem to realise it has a USP over free alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Khablam posted:

Honestly, once dark sky has identified an exact 5 minute period of heavy rain for you to avoid on a day when you're outside without instant access to shelter, you won't use another weather app.
Loads of stats is great but nothing beats "rain starting in 6 minutes and stopping 20 minutes later" as a practical piece of information.

I live in the UK and walk about a lot for work, so ymmv

e: all just to say, a lot of people asking why people use dark sky don't seem to realise it has a USP over free alternatives

I didn't know this and I bought the app, thanks for the Rec