Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
$275 / Month for ADT should be grounds for criminal prosecution for elder abuse. I guess this answers the question about how those companies are still in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

$275 / Month for ADT should be grounds for criminal prosecution for elder abuse. I guess this answers the question about how those companies are still in business.

That's just poor formatting. ADT is the $60some/mo charge (which is still obscene, granted.)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Grandma is bankrupt.

Given that she needs to take everyone down to collect the correct social security payment, yes she's broke.

On the strip club charges it's quite a common thing to rip off drunks. Accusations were made about a local club and stories of guys passing out in the brothel and being charged for $800 worth of services. Even one of my flatmates had her bf steal her credit card and charge it up at the strip club. Police and fraud charges happened with that one.

tl;dr don't go to a strip club or brothel completely wasted.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

When is anyone not home to watch the house? 90% of the household is unemployed or disabled. The other 10% is the grandson making thousands of dollars selling art drugs online.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

District Selectman posted:

Here's a proper over/under:

Number of times Switchback's fiance makes a poor financial decision: 2.5 (-110) expires 12/31

Number of times Switchback's fiance cries: 1.5 (-110) expires 12/31

Number of times Switchback considers leaving fiance, finds reason not to 2.5 (-110) expires 12/31

I'll take the over on all bets.

Same, you really need to set these so you get more balanced action.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Same, you really need to set these so you get more balanced action.

I expect rapid line movement once the public money starts coming in with another abrupt shift once the BFC sharps make their plays.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

Lightbulb equity.
"These new dimmable, million-colour LEDs should only take about 150 years to pay for themselves! See you suckers in 2165! :smug:"

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I did a free credit report via Mint unfortunately it didn't give me any information about the 5 negative collections attached to my credit. Is there a way to find out who exactly I need to call to "delete" (pay) each one and make sure it's not a negative on my account anymore?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

ceebee posted:

I did a free credit report via Mint unfortunately it didn't give me any information about the 5 negative collections attached to my credit. Is there a way to find out who exactly I need to call to "delete" (pay) each one and make sure it's not a negative on my account anymore?

annualcreditreport.com. The three major credit reporting agencies are required to provide you with a free copy of your credit report each year, and this is where you get that free report.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Creditkarma might provide you that info as well. Of course, annualcreditreport is probably a bit more detailed.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

dividertabs posted:

"I blacked out at a strip club and woke up with £4000 in charges, including £1600 on the company card."

Not as BWM as investing your and your mom's entire retirement funds in a single company. I would have thought it was a really bad career move, but his boss already found out and didn't fire him.

A smart boss works out a payment plan, waits for him to pay off the debt, then fires him. Gives plenty of time to interview his replacement as well. Boss is GWM.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That doesn't make that much sense - by definition, by the time he's paid it off, his boss has had to pay him a good bit more than £1600.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

dividertabs posted:

"I blacked out at a strip club and woke up with £4000 in charges, including £1600 on the company card."

Not as BWM as investing your and your mom's entire retirement funds in a single company. I would have thought it was a really bad career move, but his boss already found out and didn't fire him.

And I felt like an rear end in a top hat when Amazon used my company card by mistake on a music album, I can't imagine calling accounting to explain that one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That doesn't make that much sense - by definition, by the time he's paid it off, his boss has had to pay him a good bit more than £1600.

Presumably his boss also gets, you know, work out of him. Like he would from whomever he employed to replace the guy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah, but he's providing labor for that salary. The payment plan would be to make him pay off the extra he owes the company.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
After talking to my coworkers about cell phone plans, people are getting seriously raped on them, and it is all their fault.

:lol: at Sprint's trade in your iphone every year thing. My coworker is paying like 230 dollars a month for 3 lines at sprint. I tried explaining that if they just bought some mid range android phones like the Moto G, they could literally buy new phones every year if they switched to Cricket based on the savings.

People really like iphones I suppose.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

crazysim posted:

Creditkarma might provide you that info as well. Of course, annualcreditreport is probably a bit more detailed.

Creditkarma is quite detailed but get ready to get 3-4 CC and loan offers per DAY if you sign up for it, with a big surge in junk mail for about a week after each time you sign in.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

After talking to my coworkers about cell phone plans, people are getting seriously raped on them, and it is all their fault.

:lol: at Sprint's trade in your iphone every year thing. My coworker is paying like 230 dollars a month for 3 lines at sprint. I tried explaining that if they just bought some mid range android phones like the Moto G, they could literally buy new phones every year if they switched to Cricket based on the savings.

Some people like their phones to work and spend the extra time it would take computer janitoring to go work and make money. GWM.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

fits my needs posted:

Some people like their phones to work and spend the extra time it would take computer janitoring to go work and make money. GWM.

What the gently caress does this even mean? Computer janitoring?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lazy people justify their expenses by saying "it's not worth the time I could just spend making more money", like they're gonna spend the 30 seconds it would take to fix a phone closing the Fooberman Account instead.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TLG James posted:

I don't know anything about that particular Sprint plan, and it is quite possibly a pretty raw deal, but :lol: if you think a mid-range Android phone is as nice as a new iPhone.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Guinness posted:

I don't know anything about that particular Sprint plan, and it is quite possibly a pretty raw deal, but :lol: if you think a mid-range Android phone is as nice as a new iPhone.

No, but most people literally just use it as a mobile facebook phone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh god here we go

iphone chat

lock the thread before it's too late

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

fits my needs posted:

Iphones are literally garbage and even if they were the same price they'd be a bad purchase

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'd literally starve before I'd give my iPhone for an Android.

Our family plan is 5 iphones, unlimited everything, 330 a month.

Average data consumption monthly is 25gb.

It's Sprint. I doubt Cricket had better things to offer. Annually I can update to a second newest iPhone model for 49 bucks.

The plan includes iPhones in contract

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 11, 2015

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
I constantly find it amazing the effort that people go to justifying their poor cell phone choices. I use Ting myself, but Cricket would probably work better for your situation. A quick check on Cricket's website shows that you can get 10 GB for for $55 per month per line, making a total of $275 per month. They also offer a "group save" discount, which with 5 phones is $100 per month, making your bill $175 per month. If a few of the lines use less than 10 GB per month, you can save $10 - $20 per line as well. Grand total, you'd be saving over $155 per month on the phone plan.

All that doesn't include the cost of the phones, of course, but its all no contract as well. Oh, and this uses AT&T's network, which in most areas is much better than Sprint's. In my mind this is an easy way for you to save some scratch every month. But you know, it's your money. The fact that you read this forum probably means you've got a little bit of disposable income to burn. You can make up your own mind on how you want to spend it.

TLDR - Contract plans are usually BWM.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I've built a very successful business on the back of smart phones, AND it's a tax writeoff, and I still refuse to get the 128gb option. What a rip off.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How much is avoiding the "goddammit my loving [insert app here] won't work" frustration because for me, it's probably worth $10/mo at least in having a decent phone with access to my city's best network. I was on the att network three years ago in my area and gently caress ever going back to them.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Going with the new Apple upgrade plan thing which is just a 24 month installment loan ended up being GWM thanks to prepaid on T-mobile for $30/month with 5 GB of data. Even with $36/mo for a 64 GB 6S, I'm still paying less than I was on Verizon with only 2 GB/month of data. 100 minutes of voice a month but really, who calls people anymore?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

When I replaced my phone a couple years back Verizon was really pushing a similar plan for my Android. My options were something like $15/mo and a new phone every year, or $240 upfront. The sales rep just would not back down on the monthly plan.

"$15 times 12 months is only $180! You're actually saving money, and you get A NEW PHONE!"

"...but I have to keep paying for it. In a year and a half I'll have paid more money on the monthly plan, while if I buy the phone outright I can just keep using it for free until it breaks."

"...but $180 is less than $240! Why do you want to PAY MORE MONEY?!?"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Iphones are literally garbage and even if they were the same price they'd be a bad purchase

no you are wrong because

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
no you guys you don't get it Nintendo Digimon Android is better than Sega Pokemon iPhone because -

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Renegret posted:

no you guys you don't get it Nintendo Digimon Android is better than Sega Pokemon iPhone because -

Wait what? Are the LTE Digimon out yet? I'd only heard rumors. . .

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
iPhones get more support direct through apple, and have less issues. iPhones are more expensive, but will save time because they usually just work and are supported for way longer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's almost as if both options have both negatives and positives and there is, in fact, no one clear winner in the battle.

Unless you buy a blackberry in TYOOL 2015. Then loving lol.

Personally, I got grandfathered into some old unlimited everything family plan through t-mobile, and I throw $50/month my parent's way every month to cover my 1/3 of the bill. Since it's just a portable facebooking and shitposting device, I buy an unlocked middle of the road phone in full every 2 or 3 years because I don't trust t-mobile enough to finance anything through them and not have them mess with my bill.

I mean, I know I can, but why bother financing when I can pay it in full up front?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I just switch between budget carriers evertime I see a "free phone!" no contract offer. I have three android phones laying around now and didn't buy any of them.

My carrier history just keeps getting sketchier (and cheaper!): TMobile -> Cricket -> MetroPCS... next will probably be Boost Wireless or something that's marketed only in Spanish.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ this is my life; Fiesta is a great supermarket

Renegret posted:

I mean, I know I can, but why bother financing when I can pay it in full up front?

I heard a radio ad for a local car lot whose slogan is "Let us finance your dreams!".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Duckman2008 posted:

iPhones get more support direct through apple, and have less issues. iPhones are more expensive, but will save time because they usually just work and are supported for way longer.

However, you need to go through iTunes for a bunch of bullshit you can just do through windows explorer on Android, and you need a Mac to develop apps. So "just works" isn't strictly true either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

However, you need to go through iTunes for a bunch of bullshit you can just do through windows explorer on Android, and you need a Mac to develop apps. So "just works" isn't strictly true either.

Seriously. You're using the fact that you need a Mac to develop apps as an argument against owning an iPhone? Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, but just how many smartphone owners do you think are developing their own apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If everything with apple products "just works", why is it that everyone I know who owns them always bugs me to help them fix something for them? Also, why are there always 200 people at the apple store at all times waiting to get help with something?

• Locked thread