Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xeom posted:

Today someone played void winnower against me and I actually raged. The card might as well read, play this and win. Both games I got my opponent to two health and bam, void. His deck was pretty bad....ugh. Still came in first place, but gently caress that card.

Felt bad about being salty though and gave the guy a pack.

I pulled one in my draft today, but the deck didn't come together to be able to play it. I think the draft gods are telling me something because I've done 6 drafts and every single one of them have been W/r/x ally decks. I tried so hard for Eldrazi today getting a Void Winnower, Bane of Bala Ged, and Brood Monitor picks 1 through 3 only to be passed a Rolling Thunder, Sheer Drop, and Retreat to Emeria right after that. Then, I get PASSED a Munda and Resolute Blademaster pack 2.

I guess I can't complain since I've gone 3-0/4-0 in all but one of them. But, I wanna drop some drazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

Congrats. How did it all go?

I've had a great time actually. Most all of my opponents have been nice, although usually less so a few Ulamogs later. It's been relatively well run and easy to figure out where to go. Just wish I'd had a chance to show off what the deck can do on camera. The tie game I had I was on turns 2 and 4, one more turn would've won the game for me. I'm going to see if my luck streak continues for tomorrow but I'm glad I went either way.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Boco_T posted:

Nope, that's a perfectly good plan. You can even put together some reasonable quality 1-2 color Modern decks that will be competitive enough in the Just for Fun room to have a go. Like, a lot of the stuff in this MTGS Extreme Budget thread will cost almost nothing in MTGO tickets and you can have a lot of hours of fun just with that.

Thanks, that thread looks like a good starting point to learn how to build more interesting decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As a warning the cost of buying into a good modern deck is comparable to the cost of buying every single card in Hearthstone.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 11, 2015

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

I've played 2 BFZ prereleases and: I dont like this format. The board becomes gummed up like crazy, which normally would be ok but then, outside of topdecked removal, you now need to deal with topdecked infinite/infinites. I might be wrong and draft is more focused, but sealed is a complete crapshoot (which it kinda always is)

Pulled two duals so far though

edit: also the processor/ingest mechanic doesn't seem to work at all, due to the prevalence of blockers and the lack of evasive ingestors.

Draft is way different than sealed. The aggro decks in this format are quite strong, so you can't just hope your 8 mana Eldrazi will show up and win the game for you. You'll be dead way before you cast it without a solid defense. Also it turns out that having a bunch of weird synergies in your set works a lot better when you are choosing your cards than when you are just opening packs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Went to a draft last weekend.

Drafted every single W/B ally and ending up with 7 Kalastria Healers and 2 Drana's Emissary along with a few of the guys that let me pay a W to add a +1/+1 counter to a creature when I gain life. Went through the night only dropping 1 game to never drawing a swamp. I feel like that is not a realistic draft.

I really like the drafts AND the sealed in this format, but I've always been a weirdo who enjoys making sealed decks work so :shrug:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 11, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Aureus posted:

They're not, watch it muted with the sad music off and they just look bored.

Yeah just did this and hey they look like crying nerd lords.

Sorry dude, your heroes are giant dorks who get emotional over a card game tournament. Don't be ashamed. It's not your fault.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah just did this and hey they look like crying nerd lords.

Sorry dude, your heroes are giant dorks who get emotional over a card game tournament. Don't be ashamed. It's not your fault.

This seems like a very aggressive post. I think we can all agree that most magic "competitive" players are just awful.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So I found out tonight that some guy went around to every Target and Walmart within 100 miles and bought every single fat pack. He has like 50 of them. He's now trying to sell them out of his car at FNM for $70 or trying to trade them for high value stuff. He explained that he "won't let them be $40" and that it's just too much value.

Magic players are the worst.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I can't wait for the high cost of Magic to drive away the kids (read: future and health of the game) so that all the sharks that pull bullshit like buying 50 Fat Packs to turn for a profit (and making less than minimum wage doing it) lose value on the pieces of cardboard they insisted were worth hundreds/thousands.

I like this game but gently caress, it's for kids. When some 12-year-old's parents can't get them a Fat Pack to open and play with their friends for their birthday because some 20-40 year old shithead had to have 50 of them only to turn a profit/keep sealed on some shelf for "collecting future value" something needs to change. Wizards could just sell rare singles for $8. It's twice cost of a booster, you pay 1/15th of the cardboard and printing costs that you do for a booster, and kids can still afford it. The maximum cost of a deck/sideboard would be $600 assuming no lands and all rares. It might be a terrible idea but if makes spikes/sharks angry I'm all for it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish Of Doom posted:

So I found out tonight that some guy went around to every Target and Walmart within 100 miles and bought every single fat pack. He has like 50 of them. He's now trying to sell them out of his car at FNM for $70 or trying to trade them for high value stuff. He explained that he "won't let them be $40" and that it's just too much value.

Why is there someone like this in every set with some big deal chase cards.

Why.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fish Of Doom posted:

Is he getting takers? I figure he'll get desperate as single prices drop, even the expeditions went down.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is he getting takers? I figure he'll get desperate as single prices drop, even the expeditions went down.

If he gets desperate he'll probably open the fatpacks and sell the land packs, and crack that poo poo himself.

That way he only loses half the value of the fatpacks. :v:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Isn't this set being printed at demand, which would mean that fatpacks are just going to come back into stock?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't think fat packs are replenished. There will be tons of boxes though.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Allstone posted:

Isn't this set being printed at demand, which would mean that fatpacks are just going to come back into stock?

Fat Packs are never reprinted, they're always just a one-time print run, it's just that no-one bothered to buy them until now. It's also why the original Zendikar fat packs are so expensive, they're guaranteed first-print run which means a chance for priceless treasures.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
drat, $70 from scalpers, $70 from SCG website, minimum $67 after shipping on tcg player...now my $50 plus tax last week doesn't seem too bad.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

If he gets desperate he'll probably open the fatpacks and sell the land packs, and crack that poo poo himself.

That way he only loses half the value of the fatpacks. :v:

its a big box retailer. they take returns. if he fails to sell for more than he bought them for, he'll be out exactly zero dollars.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My local store sold them for 32 bucks a pop, so gently caress him.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

its a big box retailer. they take returns. if he fails to sell for more than he bought them for, he'll be out exactly zero dollars.

But he could open an expedition Tarn!!!!

Edit: Tune into SCG Open, it's a Yore-Tiller mirror. I am shocked.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 11, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The meta today is almost entirely Jeskai Black and G/W variants? No rhinos to be seen for miles? Nice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

The meta today is almost entirely Jeskai Black and G/W variants? No rhinos to be seen for miles? Nice.

No Esper Dragons either...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ThePeavstenator posted:

I can't wait for the high cost of Magic to drive away the kids (read: future and health of the game) so that all the sharks that pull bullshit like buying 50 Fat Packs to turn for a profit
It would be p funny if it turned into hoarders with 50 goyfs insisting they were worth something. Would be like star citizen. :allears:

quote:

It might be a terrible idea but if makes spikes/sharks angry I'm all for it.
The LCG system works. The only failing you might attribute to the FFG GOT game (actually all of them), which needed a reboot, would be the lack of a rotation system, which has proved to be good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

It would be p funny if it turned into hoarders with 50 goyfs insisting they were worth something. Would be like star citizen. :allears:

The LCG system works. The only failing you might attribute to the FFG GOT game (actually all of them), which needed a reboot, would be the lack of a rotation system, which has proved to be good.

It's actually impossible to get people into LCGs if it cost them more than the base set plus maybe two $12-15 expansions. It sucks because every LCG I've played has been very fun. I wish there could be something done with the LCG model to make it more appealing to new players, but LCGs seem to work okay enough for the companies that make them where they wouldn't even dream of making a change.

Netrunner announced a rotation system, but it doesn't start until spring 2017 and then only rotates out the very first two blocks of sets, which still means a new player still needs at least one core set (ideally three to get a playset of each card) and two dozen expansion packs ranging from $15-30 each.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I mean the rotation would be a format that's different from a "legacy" format. I could see a base set + "newest X sets" rotation for its version of "standard" working, but it might need a new base set every few years to not be hampered by the design limits of the old one. Kind of like how X-wing just restarted its core but it's still compatible with the old core models.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

mcmagic posted:

No Esper Dragons either...

I took Esper 5C Dragons to a PPTQ this weekend as I had not had much practice with Jeskai Black. Got one match win vs Jeskai Black and then got smashed twice by it. It was everywhere and the matchup felt bad as they could cycle crackling doom with jace and I could not cycle counters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DoctorOozy posted:

I took Esper 5C Dragons to a PPTQ this weekend as I had not had much practice with Jeskai Black. Got one match win vs Jeskai Black and then got smashed twice by it. It was everywhere and the matchup felt bad as they could cycle crackling doom with jace and I could not cycle counters.

I think there is a way to build esper to fight Jeskai Black, we'll see at the pro tour. Just straight esper's mana is so good right now I don't see the point in playing 5 color. You should be able to get fat on the 4 and 5 color decks that are stretching their mana bases.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think the average player understands that MTG finance is a pretty lovely way to make money.

mcmagic posted:

I think there is a way to build esper to fight Jeskai Black, we'll see at the pro tour. Just straight esper's mana is so good right now I don't see the point in playing 5 color. You should be able to get fat on the 4 and 5 color decks that are stretching their mana bases.

The point is that the mana is good for everything so what incentive do you have to not splash green for Siege Rhino :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think the average player understands that MTG finance is a pretty lovely way to make money.

The point is that the mana is good for everything so what incentive do you have to not splash green for Siege Rhino :v:

The 4 and 5 color decks have PLAYABLE mana, not great mana. There is a very noticeable difference even just in a few weeks of playing this format and watching coverage.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

The 4 and 5 color decks have PLAYABLE mana, not great mana. There is a very noticeable difference even just in a few weeks of playing this format and watching coverage.

If you can playably drop Siege Rhino I don't see a reason not to.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Angry Grimace posted:

If you can playably drop Siege Rhino I don't see a reason not to.

If you're not a bad person?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dohaeris posted:

Down with Siege Rhino; Long live Siege Rhino

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

If you're playing Magic competitively, then it's too late for that.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Fun new MTGO bug for me. Playing Commander (I know, I know) and all of the drop down areas (Graveyard, Command Zone, etc) all close themselves back up ... Super annoying when playing Lazav when you have to open their GY to see what triggers, and it closes before you can figure out what they have or what the trigger is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gideon is the new God we deserve. I legit considered playing 4 Gideon in Jeskai.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Note to self: never, ever attack with a Hangarback Walker. Oyyy. Pitched a round hard because of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

Note to self: never, ever attack with a Hangarback Walker. Oyyy. Pitched a round hard because of it.

it's literally in the name dude

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

it's literally in the name dude

:thumbsup:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Count Bleck posted:

I 3-1'd FNM yesterday with a Jund (more like GB splashing Red for Kolaghan's Command) last night. It was fun as gently caress.

Catacomb Sifter does work.

Can you share your list for this? I wanna play with Catacomb Sifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Man this T8 is ridiculous. Bant megamorph vs GW megamorph, Jeskai Dragons vs Jeskai Black, straight jeskai black mirror, GW megamorph mirror.

• Locked thread