Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ickna
May 19, 2004

Maybe he just doesn't give a poo poo and is doing what he wants on it in his free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ickna posted:

Maybe he just doesn't give a poo poo and is doing what he wants on it in his free time.

Wollay owns.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Cathair posted:

Hell, Trove already almost hit the mark.

I think one of the big things that's keeping Trove from reaching a wider audience is that its visual style is absolutely miserable. Granted, this hasn't stopped a lot of games from being runaway hits, but it was a cross between "low budget mmo" and "kids' game" vibe and the teen demographic that would be interested in the game tend to get hung up on that kind of stuff. Cube World has simple art, but the geometry of the characters has weight to it, it doesn't have the generic "smiley face slapped onto a rectangle head" look, it has a much less aggressive palette, and overall just looks a lot more like a professionally-made game like 3D Dot Heroes.

It and a few other games also launched in just a short enough window after Cube World was still in the spotlight that by and large they got pegged as "Cube World knockoffs," and regardless of any merits their complete lack of publicity will hurt a lot more than Cube World's development hell will.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/653198269322010624

Another tweet?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This basically confirms what I had thought all along. After releasing the alpha build for sale after so much asking, he just continued his slow work on the game exactly as before without really caring much about the people who bought it or updating said alpha build. I can kind of respect that, but I can't say that I didn't expect some sort of regular updates for my twenty bux for the alpha.

Whatever, I'm glad the game isn't dead because I still really want to see it finished and play it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ickna posted:

That must feel nice to be able to do

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

This basically confirms what I had thought all along. After releasing the alpha build for sale after so much asking, he just continued his slow work on the game exactly as before without really caring much about the people who bought it or updating said alpha build. I can kind of respect that, but I can't say that I didn't expect some sort of regular updates for my twenty bux for the alpha.

Whatever, I'm glad the game isn't dead because I still really want to see it finished and play it.

As much as people complain about Cube World the bigger issue is really that there is a large number of internet gamer types that are absolutely never, ever satisfied by anything. It looked cool but he was like "guys it's an alpha and I work slow I'm not ready to release it" but after all the nagging he did.

Then the same people, since they gave him money, expected him to just go on perpetual crunch time and work like a AAA game studio to finish it. Which is absurd; he doesn't owe anybody a damned thing. People said "we don't care let us give you money" but then acted like babies about the whole thing. Yeah the PR was terrible and Wollay made mistakes along the way but when people say "we'll just buy whatever you have please let us buy it" they shouldn't complain if "whatever you have" is an incomplete alpha. Like they were told it was.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As much as people complain about Cube World the bigger issue is really that there is a large number of internet gamer types that are absolutely never, ever satisfied by anything. It looked cool but he was like "guys it's an alpha and I work slow I'm not ready to release it" but after all the nagging he did.

Then the same people, since they gave him money, expected him to just go on perpetual crunch time and work like a AAA game studio to finish it. Which is absurd; he doesn't owe anybody a damned thing. People said "we don't care let us give you money" but then acted like babies about the whole thing. Yeah the PR was terrible and Wollay made mistakes along the way but when people say "we'll just buy whatever you have please let us buy it" they shouldn't complain if "whatever you have" is an incomplete alpha. Like they were told it was.

There is a huge difference between taking time to finish something and literally never communicating for multiple years to people who paid money for a product that was understood to be finished at a later point. Very few people had a problem with the "incomplete alpha" itself, it was a fine product for an alpha with a lot of potential, but if you go silent for years without even like one tweet even saying "I am still working on this" and nothing else, then people are going to wonder if he actually stopped working on the game and unethically sold an "alpha" for a full-price game without ever actually intending to finish the game at any point in time.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm not sure why people are still so angry about Cube World. At the time it went for sale it was kind of disappointing and frustrating that the game never had any major updates, but the same thing has been experienced by many people over much worse games since then. It's basically a precursor to Steam Early Access games. It should be common knowledge by now that if you're not satisfied with the game as is, then you should probably wait to pay money for it and not depend on any future updates ever coming out. It should be a lesson learned at this point. And at least the guy is most likely still working on it since he's not depending on money from sales to develop the game, and what's there is actually decent already.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Nah it's definitely 100% on the developer and not the people who bought it. There have been worse on early access, but that doesn't justify abandoning a game people paid for. Whether it's worth getting mad about years later is another matter.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I wasn't really trying to take the blame off of the developer. It's just odd that people still seem genuinely angry about it after around three years since it was released. It's like people spent their life savings on it or something. He probably should have just released a free demo or something instead of charging ~20 USD for an alpha that was progressing at a glacial pace.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Are people actually angry at this point? I thought everyone was resigned. I went to the cube world reddit expecting to see a bunch of this supposed outrage and anger and its seems to just be excitement that the game is in fact being worked on and not abandoned. Is all this anger you see on twitter or something?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Most of the former ragespergs have learned patience through investing in Star Citizen.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/653291819674025985

A third tweet?! Wollay, what has gotten into you lately?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And another one:

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/653317524109545472

What is happening

Orv
May 4, 2011
He's gonna make a bunch of tweets and the final one will be "These were all really cool ideas I had before finally deciding to end development of Cube World."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Orv posted:

He's gonna make a bunch of tweets and the final one will be "These were all really cool ideas I had before finally deciding to end development of Cube World."

I'd send him $20 if he did that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Guys..... Wollay has been tweeting.... a lot.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

I like the new map and the little back stories for the new characters.

Maybe Cubeworld will finally become A Good Game?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yeah WTF he is showing an actual game. Seems like he has actually been working on this just not releasing it to anyone due to all the poo poo he was getting.

Cube World is real. Seriously WTF.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Get this update out so I can go find some cool biomes

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

ukle posted:

Yeah WTF he is showing an actual game. Seems like he has actually been working on this just not releasing it to anyone due to all the poo poo he was getting.

Cube World is real. Seriously WTF.

Surprising to absolutely no one who could think and read. I mean, isn't this exactly what everyone who remained calm about it said, way back when? Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, I'm as disappointed as anyone that this game I liked is on a development schedule only slightly faster than Duke Nukem Forever. I'm just amused that some people convinced themselves to believe reactionary bullshit in some sour-grapes attempt to comfort themselves.

Personally though, I'm prepared for him to show these screenshots and then go silent again for another two years. This way, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he releases an update instead, but I won't have any hopes to be dashed if he doesn't. :gbsmith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

So It Goes posted:

Are people actually angry at this point? I thought everyone was resigned. I went to the cube world reddit expecting to see a bunch of this supposed outrage and anger and its seems to just be excitement that the game is in fact being worked on and not abandoned. Is all this anger you see on twitter or something?

Never underestimate the internet's ability to remain irrationally angry about stupid poo poo for absurd amounts of time.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Will I remember my credentials? Nope

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Never underestimate the internet's ability to remain irrationally angry about stupid poo poo for absurd amounts of time.

Or in the case of Cube World send him Death Threats after he doesn't post any updates for 2 weeks, again.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Not only is he posting a ton of teaser images, but he is actually replying to people over twitter, which is more astounding.

Obviously a crazed fan has stolen his computer and has assumed his identity.

Also, Kotaku's article about these updates is pretty hilarious as they keep saying stuff like "the Cube World devs" or the "Picroma team". Maybe I missed where Wolly opened a studio and started paying others to help develop his hobby project, but I could of swore it was just him and occasionally his wife who would use his editor to make new animals and poo poo. :v:

Also:

Kotaku Article posted:

We get weekly emails from confused and angry Cube World fans who want to know what’s going on, or demand to know when the game will actually be released. Some of this backlash gets back to Picroma itself, naturally.

“I get emails daily,” Funck told me. “Fortunately the shitstorm has kind of stopped, it was a very depressing time for me. It’s difficult dealing with haters and being creative at the same time.”

I had to ask the obvious question here: was there any sort of ETA on when fans could expect an update? Was there perhaps more progress on Cube World being made of late?

“Im just super excited to share our recent work with the fans,” Funck responded. “They’re awesome and I hope to give them their update soon. But it’s not done yet, we’re still working out some quest lines and adding content.”

Welp, guess it is time to settle in for another six months. On one hand it is nice to hear about development, on another it is kind of silly to break the silence after so long and then not have something about ready to be released when you do so. [iMaybe[/i] this means he is going to be more communicative until the patch actually drops, but I am not going to be holding my breath.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Basically he burned through all the money he made originally on the game and wants to make some more so it's time to start up the hype train again.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cathair posted:

Surprising to absolutely no one who could think and read. I mean, isn't this exactly what everyone who remained calm about it said, way back when? Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, I'm as disappointed as anyone that this game I liked is on a development schedule only slightly faster than Duke Nukem Forever. I'm just amused that some people convinced themselves to believe reactionary bullshit in some sour-grapes attempt to comfort themselves.

Personally though, I'm prepared for him to show these screenshots and then go silent again for another two years. This way, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he releases an update instead, but I won't have any hopes to be dashed if he doesn't. :gbsmith:

Yeah man it was super obvious a dev who disappeared for a year was totally not just abandoning a project.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SuicideSnowman posted:

Basically he burned through all the money he made originally on the game and wants to make some more so it's time to start up the hype train again.

This is how I see it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Worth a shot.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised he'd pop up again. But we'll see if anything concrete comes off it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah man it was super obvious a dev who disappeared for a year was totally not just abandoning a project.

It was, because if you had followed wollay's blog you'd know that he liked to post an amazing looking update and then make you doubt that the game even exists for approximately six months.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Amppelix posted:

It was, because if you had followed wollay's blog you'd know that he liked to post an amazing looking update and then make you doubt that the game even exists for approximately six months.

I have a wonderful bridge if you're interested.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Amppelix posted:

It's been like 2 years though?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

hitze posted:

It's been like 2 years though?

Before he started this string of tweets, his last tweet was June 2014. So sorta 2 years.

I'm not surprised that he's started posting again, I'm more surprised that he keeps tweeting and poo poo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The unfortunate thing is probably nobody is gunna give a poo poo when he does update it. I wonder if I still know my password for Cube World.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I already bought the game and have no interest in MP so I couldn't care less how people feel about the new updates or if the game never has a vibrant community. I'd be happy just to have the game be finished and play it myself.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

sout posted:

The unfortunate thing is probably nobody is gunna give a poo poo when he does update it. I wonder if I still know my password for Cube World.

poo poo I definitely don't remember

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Reason posted:

This is how I see it.

No way. He refused to fix the shop for loving ages, he must have passed up on an absolute shitload of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Thirsty Dog posted:

No way. He refused to fix the shop for loving ages, he must have passed up on an absolute shitload of cash.

And didn't take Trion's buyout, which lead to them making Trove. He clearly wants to work on the thing, he's just not on anyone's timetable but his own. If he's showing stuff off, hopefully there will be new stuff actually released soon.

• Locked thread