Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Prices being low is a good thing unless you're a terrible person.

It costs more than 2.5 million to make astral silk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Its simply a problem of supply and demand. No one has bought astral silk for days. Anything that low volume that gets a huge influx of supply is going to cause prices to crater.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Prices being low is a good thing unless you're a seller trying to make the time you spend gathering and manfacturing goods worthwhile, or a buyer interested in a steady supply because there is incentive to produce in the first place, so basically too low prices hurt more than half of the marketplace.

ftfy, :gitgud: at macroeconomics scrub

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

It costs more than 2.5 million to make astral silk.

unless you gathered all the mats yourself, then its free!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its simply a problem of supply and demand. No one has bought astral silk for days. Anything that low volume that gets a huge influx of supply is going to cause prices to crater.

I know. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I guess there's just a ton of people taking the "I farmed the mats myself, IT'S FREE" philosophy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Or maybe to them the lost opportunity cost of a 200k difference between selling the mats is worth it to have more available retainer selling space to sell completed goods - they're basically paying gil rather than bux for more retainer slots

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know that I really ought to take advantage of the low prices and turn it into crafting gear, but everything is so hyper-specialized that it would be a miracle if it ever sold.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
turn it into crafting gear and then sell it to me for pennies to the dollar

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the market crashed at last? I feel like I missed some millions of gils for not playing the past months.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If the value of the finished intermediate product drops, the actual value of the mats to make it also drops accordingly. So no, the mats aren't free, but they're also not worth 2.5 million if people can skip buying the mats themselves and go straight to the silk for a lower price, and the mats don't go into anything else that is still worth 2.5 million (or relative equivalent for how many of what mats it uses).

Either the silk will go back up or the mats to make the silk will go down. Not perhaps immediately, especially in a slow moving market, and you'll always get the people who try (and continually fail) to sell at inflated prices because that was the value when they first got it and dammit they're gonna get the "full value".

But it'll even out until it reaches a balance point where it's priced high enough for people to bother getting/making it to sell it, and low enough for people to be willing to shell out money for it, evening out supply and demand.

You'll still get people buying the mats for more than the silk occasionally, just because people sometimes spend more money than they need to because they're too dumb and/or lazy to consider alternatives. But at that point it's (lower actual value of mats) + (stupidity/laziness tax).

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Elentor posted:

So the market crashed at last? I feel like I missed some millions of gils for not playing the past months.

Not entirely. Some goods still go for high amounts, like birch logs going for 1300 per log on Excalibur at the moment. A lot of the extreme outliers like Thavnarian silk have dropped considerably though, so you won't be making or paying a million gil per silk anymore. More like 400k which is a little more manageable.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Birch logs are really weird, because they're a byproduct of a couple of other in-demand items: Void Nuts and Furymint. You'd think they'd have crashed way harder than they actually did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Niton posted:

Birch logs are really weird, because they're a byproduct of a couple of other in-demand items: Void Nuts and Furymint. You'd think they'd have crashed way harder than they actually did.

People would probably rather go for birch sap, since it's not hidden and it's used for marron glace.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Also who actually gathers at the generic nodes when they're farming Furymint?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I care so little about actually making any money in this game that I tend to sell everything I gather or craft for either half or a quarter of the lowest market price. I just get pleasure knowing that someone will be happy grabbing a gnarly bargain.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Solefald posted:

I just get pleasure knowing that someone will be happy grabbing a gnarly bargain.

And immediately reselling it for 200%

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shy posted:

And immediately reselling it for 200%

Time value of money my friend. I sold a gesthal today for 1mil when they were over 2m on the MB because I'd rather have the cash than wait and a goon was the one buying it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah, gil is much better early so you can start earning interest on it sooner rather than later.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I wish I had more time to play this beautiful game, and that o didn't love the side quests so I could keep up with msq and not be 8-9 levels higher than it. This is Logan shade in game btw. For anyone who is interested in ye game or is just starting out join tpt. Lots of cool generous motherfuvkers who help noobs

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're playing the economy game, then it's freeing liquid assets to reinvest into less-flooded and more profitable niche markets, and if you're not paying the economy then you're paying a 50% commission to get the money within seconds so you can actually get on with buying stuff and playing

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

There's a pretty rapid dropoff of ROI by how much you undercut though. One gil is enough to be the first one most people would buy, 10%ish is enough to make people not care where you're selling an expensive item from, much more than that you're just trying to get people who will snatch it up to flip in which case listing it at half price is throwing gil away when you could sell it just as fast at 20%ish off.

Stop making excuses for being bad at economics.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i bought a company hat and escheststststson today b/c both were less than 300k gil

im gay

ergo if you're bad at economics your gay like me

pm me if you want a good time for gil

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I bought a house. If I blow up my FC room do I get the goods back so I can put them in my house?

Assuming I can blow the room up myself at least. Maybe that only happens if booted from an FC?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The market board is not a fun part of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn so I list at a number that is easy to input on controller, whatever that means for the % markdown.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

nuru posted:

I bought a house. If I blow up my FC room do I get the goods back so I can put them in my house?

Assuming I can blow the room up myself at least. Maybe that only happens if booted from an FC?

You get your items back* but you don't get the 300k gil for the room back

* Some items like the Behemoth Bust will explode if you remove them after placing them. It'll warn you before you try to move them though.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

nuru posted:

You have to empty the room of all furnishings before you can vacate it.

If your room is forcibly vacated because you leave or are kicked from the FC, you have 35 days to go claim your stuff from the housing coordinator.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The market board is not a fun part of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn so I list at a number that is easy to input on controller, whatever that means for the % markdown.

Yeah the MB interface is horrid - doesn't remember prices that you set even in the same session, doesn't default to the lowest current price but rather the npc sell value, can't ctrl+click or anything to put an item name into the search bar. It's better than 11's interface but that's really not saying much.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LunarShadow posted:

Would you happen to be on Balmung? Timing and details makes me think you are someone I know.

No, I'm on Excalibur with the rest of the goons.

Also, shout out to the guy who named his/her retainer Tombradysucks, that's a pro name.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

megalodong posted:

Yeah the MB interface is horrid - doesn't remember prices that you set even in the same session, doesn't default to the lowest current price but rather the npc sell value, can't ctrl+click or anything to put an item name into the search bar. It's better than 11's interface but that's really not saying much.

I think the game is in dire need of a UI overhaul, not just for the market board but for pretty much everything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't mind being able to buy one or two of an item from a stack of 99.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
You're a sucker and a rube if you're doing any crafting or gathering class that isn't fisher. Join the relaxed collective

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unguided posted:

Holy gently caress empty quote this post forever.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Unguided posted:

They'll never let you do that or dungeon/FATE party with your chocobo out or make a sensible housing system.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Whizbang posted:

They'll never let you do that or dungeon/FATE party with your chocobo out or make a sensible housing system.

Something something ps3 limitations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I think in the case of chocobos it's 'something something 1.0 carryover'.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've really been enjoying healing so far. I've never healed in an MMO before, and I actually really enjoy it. Granted, I've only done two dungeons, but between them I've had a really good tank, and a pretty bad one (the latter tank was probably new, admittedly), and so far both runs have been successful in that I haven't let anyone die yet. I know it's just Sastasha and Tam-Tara, and they're basically babby's first dungeon, learn-the-ropes type deals, but hey, I can't argue with the fun I've had. Is there anything down the road I should keep in mind if I'm going to go White Mage in the future?

Also, I have a question about Fantasias, since I got one in the mail recently for being subbed for 30 days, I think... Do I get a name change when I use it, or is it purely a race/appearance thing? I've been tempted a little bit to go from Elezen to Roe, but I don't want to do it if I have to keep the name I have, which I'm not 100% fond of. I used a random last name because I couldn't think of one at the time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fantasia will just do your appearance, you can pay for a namechange on mogstation if you're so inclined.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There are two parts to being a healer. A decent healer will keep everyone alive. A great healer will contribute to DPS while doing the same. As a white mage you get access to various HoT abilities that really make it easy for you to toss out a couple of those, go to cleric stance, and start laying down the pain.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the game is in dire need of a UI overhaul, not just for the market board but for pretty much everything.

The game asks for too many goddamn confirmations before you actually do anything, mounting and interacting with stuff is a pain in the rear end (why can't you initiate levequests while mounted?).

Like what possible reason is there to require a confirmation to interact with the cloud altars in Neverreap? I have an egg and I've clicked on the altar, why ask me if I want to put an egg there? Why do I need a confirmation to enter doors? I'm at the door and I clicked on the door. There's your goddamn confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just grabbed the trial here and had a friend from work also send me a recruit a friend invite when that ends and I pick it up. I generally go the DPS route as in other games that is more forgiving of mistakes for the party, so I have selected Lancer with hopes of some day being a Dragoon. Any advice for a first time player? Specific crafting skills to start early on? Any go to resource for item databases, etc.? Also, since I am starting out for the first time and a realm reborn has already occurred am I missing out on the story that occurred from 1.0 to 2.0 or will the game catch me up?

• Locked thread