Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Actually you know what I don't care.

So people were talking about the Democrats in the House just sitting on their hands through 2016 to try to get through the elections. And the thing that worries me about that is, you know, someone needs to rum the country. We need to keep raising the debt ceiling. That's the worrying thing to me - that no one can keep their hand on the rudder enough to make sure things actually continue to function.

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What we actually need to do is to go back to where things were in like the 80s/early 90s, where the debt ceiling was raised automatically by bills making appropriations in excess of revenue. There was no need to manually raise it as necessary then.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ideally it will be abolished the next time either party achieves total legislative control.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
There's not really anything they can do.

Your options are:
- A republican / democratic governing coalition or a speaker with votes from both.
- 30 moderate republicans crossing the aisle to do things (and they may as well just flip parties if they do this).
- Food poisoning incident at the tortilla coast knocks out 30-40 republicans on the eve of a speaker vote. Waiter who failed to wash hands after handling raw chicken heralded as national hero.
- Expulsion of the freedom / suicide caucus. The most fun option. Works around a lot of these problems as the Republicans would retain a majority. 217 -> 188 and the speaker threshold would lower to 203 votes. Requires 112 republicans + all the Democrats and sets an awesome precedent that might help defuse some of the primary from the right by < 2% of the electorate shenanigans.
- Congress functions off discharge petitions and Boehner not giving a gently caress. 30 moderates crossing the aisle again and again.
- Change the rules to allow speaker based on plurality instead of majority or some such.
- The republicans getting their poo poo together

It's all on the republicans, there's gently caress all the Democrats can do. It's fun that they're all putting party above country though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Plurality Speaker and expulsions are out. Democrats biting to permit a plurality Speaker is giving them an out, and expulsions in this case would be stunningly undemocratic.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Bob Ojeda posted:

And the thing that worries me about that is, you know, someone needs to rum the country.

Don't worry, lifting the embargo on Cuba will help with that. :rimshot:

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

First Bad Bernie position I've seen. The AWB was a bad law and doesn't need to be brough back. There are other better ways to improve gun control, including better funding for the instant background check system.

Really?

Bernie opposing nuclear power:

http://atomicinsights.com/senator-bernie-sanders-i-vt-thinks-nuclear-is-too-expensive-and-produces-waste-that-no-one-wants-i-disagree/

Bernie evangelizing alternatives to medicine:

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/must-read/sanders-remarks-on-complementary-and-alternative-health-care

More interesting is how Bernie used opposing gun control to get into the senate after losing senate bids over and over.

Bernie and support from the NRA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...8059_story.html

Really significant in the NRA piece is the Bernie quote about technically running a clean campaign while letting others ( the NRA ) go negative against his opponent and be attack dogs for him.

Bernie sanders aide from the first senate race he won posted:

“It’s an issue I do not feel comfortable about,” Sanders said after one debate, according to a memoir about the race by a former aide, Steven Rosenfeld.

Sanders couldn’t very well rail against Smith for his views on assault weapons when they were the same as his own. Instead, the aide said, Sanders wanted to let others “do our dirty work for us.”

You don't need a pac to do that. You don't even need $$$. The NRA did it for free then and Redditors/etc are doing it for free now. Just find someone who doesn't like your opponent and reach out the hand of friendship to them. Then sit back and watch the poo fly.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/reddit-ama

Edit: formatting.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So fun random thing that nobody cares about in the real world: every Sunday, the local station usually airs the Presidental Address and Minority Party Address. They get released on Saturdays normally, but DC being DC, they air it after Meet The Press and before football. But now that there's a football roundtable in the timeslot for the season, I went online to listen to the usual fun patter, and to enjoy that the GOP Weekly Address theme song sounds like the opening to The Simpsons.

There's no GOP Weekly Address this week.

They can't even agree on the five minutes of patter to say to the American people this week.

I'm partying in my mind.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao, take it the dem 2016 thread if you want spew your complete misrepresentations again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao, take it the dem 2016 thread if you want spew your complete misrepresentations again.

What did he misrepresent in a thing that includes an actual quote from him

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cleveland has a new report out blaming Tamir Rice for getting shot again. AP has been tweeting about it all morning.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rygar201 posted:

Plurality Speaker and expulsions are out. Democrats biting to permit a plurality Speaker is giving them an out, and expulsions in this case would be stunningly undemocratic.

We do all kinds of stunningly undemocratic things, like the existence of the senate, gerrymandering, voter ID laws, felon disenfranchisement, etc. and 2/3rds is a high bar to clear.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Quoting a man's words? Why, that's basically slander.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair. everyone on both sides already knew this, it was an open secret that no one could "confirm". now its done.

Krugman had a good article about this the other day:

quote:

But we all knew that, didn’t we?

I often wonder about commentators who write about things like those hearings as if there were some real issue involved, who keep going on about the Clinton email controversy as if all these months of scrutiny had produced any evidence of wrongdoing, as opposed to sloppiness.

Surely they have to know better, whether they admit it to themselves or not. And surely the long history of Clinton nonscandals and retracted allegations — remember, there never was anything to the Whitewater accusations — should serve as a cautionary tale.

Somehow, though, politicians who pretend to be concerned about issues, but are obviously just milking those issues for political gain, keep getting a free pass. And it’s not just a Clinton story.

Sometimes I have the impression that many people in the media consider it uncouth to acknowledge, even to themselves, the fraudulence of much political posturing. The done thing, it seems, is to pretend that we’re having real debates about national security or economics even when it’s both obvious and easy to show that nothing of the kind is actually taking place.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What did he misrepresent in a thing that includes an actual quote from him

Because, going over this for like the 4th time to mcallister, it is not being pro-alternative medicine, its allowing people to use their insurance to pay for it. The last half the press release is about building more of these.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Buffer posted:

We do all kinds of stunningly undemocratic things, like the existence of the senate, gerrymandering, voter ID laws, felon disenfranchisement, etc. and 2/3rds is a high bar to clear.

Yeah but none of those things disenfranchises angry white people, so they don't count.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah but none of those things disenfranchises angry white people, so they don't count.

Oh right, sorry. God forbid we force the angry white regressive descendants of confederate traitors to have election do-overs until they vote in someone who won't conspire to destroy the federal government in the basement of a mediocre tex-mex restaurant. That would be setting a dangerous precedent.

E: I mean it's pure fantasy since it would never happen, but it's a fun fantasy - like the trillion dollar coin.
E2: Also I'm pretty sure if they were communists they'd be expelled and tried for treason already.

Buffer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 11, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Would Ryan be more likely to take the job if Boehner promised to pass the debt ceiling increase before he leaves?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Would Ryan be more likely to take the job if Boehner promised to pass the debt ceiling increase before he leaves?

Probably not since Ryan knows the Speaker will be crucified regardless of what's done, so why take the poisoned chalice?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

ThirdPartyView posted:

Probably not since Ryan knows the Speaker will be crucified regardless of what's done, so why take the poisoned chalice?

If Ryan comes to his senses he will realize that he will never achieve higher power than being Speaker.

The GOP will have the house until a minimum of 2022 and possibly even later. Getting to be speaker for 6+ years isn't exactly low on the totem pole in terms of power, even if you have to deal with a bunch of poo poo birds.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because, going over this for like the 4th time to mcallister, it is not being pro-alternative medicine, its allowing people to use their insurance to pay for it. The last half the press release is about building more of these.

why should insurance be used to pay for sham medicine and sham medical procedures?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

joeburz posted:

why should insurance be used to pay for sham medicine and sham medical procedures?

Because while being stupid is bad, going broke from being stupid and swindled is worse.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because while being stupid is bad, going broke from being stupid and swindled is worse.

so perhaps the sign that your insurance doesnt cover retard garbage should make it clear that its not actually medically worthwhile

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

joeburz posted:

so perhaps the sign that your insurance doesnt cover retard garbage should make it clear that its not actually medically worthwhile

this is the country where old people routinely complain about government intervention in their medicare

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
If you want to go after Bernard the smart thing would be to attack his positions on Israel which are genuinely bad and important rather than whether or not your HMO has to cover your coffee enema or whatever.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Maarek posted:

If you want to go after Bernard the smart thing would be to attack his positions on Israel which are genuinely bad and important rather than whether or not your HMO has to cover your coffee enema or whatever.

actually both are genuinely bad so

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do we make insurance cover all alt medicine or are trepanning, lobotomies, and burnt sacrifices to Ereshkigal excluded?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nah I think considering where he's from it's just the trendy things like crystal therapy and 'cleanses' and all. Those are what we need to validate with implied government approval.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is kinda fun watching people learn that ideological purity doesn't get you far

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

joeburz posted:

actually both are genuinely bad so

Coffee enemas don't exactly kill hundreds of civilians every year though.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Thump! posted:

oh word?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

First Bad Bernie position I've seen. The AWB was a bad law and doesn't need to be brough back. There are other better ways to improve gun control, including better funding for the instant background check system.

I was at the event he announced this at, and he definitely spoke to mental health access, closing the gun show loophole and strengthening background checks before mentioning that he wanted to ban semiautomatic assault weapons "whose only purpose is to kill groups of people".

I think he took a balanced approach to it, at least in the way he discussed it with the crowd.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

He's defended his vote on the immunity act on the campaign trail more than once. "Manufacturers should be held responsible if their poo poo malfunctions, and pulling the trigger on a gun and a bullet coming out isn't malfunctioning regardless of the target" is pretty simple.

Part of the shield is protecting vendors from lawsuits if they sell a firearm to people not legally able to obtain one. It does that thing where you can't just look at the fact that they sold the gun to a felon but must instead prove the dealer knew they were a felon and sold it while cackling evilly and twirling their mustaches.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-109s397enr/pdf/BILLS-109s397enr.pdf

So if billy bob at the gun show sells a gun to a guy with prior convictions sans background check and he uses that gun to shoot your kid ... you can't sue billy bob for negligence.

Note, please, that filing a suit an winning it are completely different things and the odds of plaintiffs winning a case against the manufacturer are non-existent but the odds of winning a suit against billy Bob are decent.

If you ammended it to remove the vendor protections Bernie's argument would fly. He could also argue that the other thing was a poison pill forcing him to support the bill even though suits against negligent venders are reasonable but he isn't. Understandably. If your image is built on a mythology of refusing to compromise then you don't want to highlight situations where people would rather you compromise.

Edit : oppose should have been support.

Edit 2: I'm generally against all bills that deny people the right to sue or that cap damages. Usually this comes up in terms of medical torte reform debates. Harassment lawsuits should be dealt with by making the people who bring them give the target lots of money when they lose. Not by slamming court doors in their faces.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 11, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

a shameful boehner posted:

I was at the event he announced this at, and he definitely spoke to mental health access, closing the gun show loophole and strengthening background checks before mentioning that he wanted to ban semiautomatic assault weapons "whose only purpose is to kill groups of people".

I think he took a balanced approach to it, at least in the way he discussed it with the crowd.

Yeah that all sounds reasonable but one man's "semiautomatic assault rifle," is another man's hunting rifle, and the guy who calls it a hunting rifle is way more likely to vote based on that issue. The AWB was a really bad law, poorly written with bad definition s, and bringing it back is not an auspicious proposal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thump! posted:

Yeah, just the guns he supports. Woops!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The original one was really bad but it could be rewritten this time around so that a pistol grip doesn't magically turn a gun into an assault rifle.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Buffer posted:

Yeah, but that's not quite the same as saying people of X districts go gently caress yourselves, enjoy no representation in the House until you pony up for your special elections.

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

It is kinda fun watching people learn that ideological purity doesn't get you far

Yeah. Bernie's stupid on GMOs and labeling as well, but I just look past it because I care a lot more about the positions he's good on than those he's lovely on.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Suckthemonkey posted:

Yeah. Bernie's stupid on GMOs and labeling as well, but I just look past it because I care a lot more about the positions he's good on than those he's lovely on.

you can still call out his poo poo when its a terrible policy position even if youre going to vote for him eqeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Suckthemonkey posted:

oh, I was talking about the freedom caucus, but if you think that applies to Sanders too

• Locked thread