Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat thats a good episode. The characters are all starting to shine in their own way, the fight was really dynamic even though it wasn't very flashy, it was well choreographed and Mika is a tactical monster. Kudelia's speech over the images of what was happening to the kids in mars ending the way it did was fantastic. The show is doing a good job portraying how sudden and final death is. That pretty boy megalomaniac commander? loving dead and you didnt even get to see him. Just boom, dead and forgotten

Also there is so little subtlety regarding Kudelia's naivete, it was loving hilarious hearing Cookie and Crackers next episode saying that they were going to teach her lots of things. And I'm sure they aren't being ironic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was thinking that he's going to defect rather than throw himself to his own death.
I would much rather have this happen. Yes the show is definitely raising its flags (huurrr hururrrr), but the writing is so good that it feels like it can go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Well, still completely stoked for this after episode two. Dialogue and visuals still remain heavily in the show side of showing vs. telling, and the few exposition dumps didn't feel like they harmed the pacing too much. It's also good to see that the overall level of intelligence in the script hasn't dropped yet, with Coral's motives being fairly sensible from his position (if manipulative as all gently caress). Definitely curious to see where the rest of this is going next week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoyed seeing that Mika's reliance on Orga also works in reverse, in a way. It would be all too easy to make it a one-way relationship.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That fight choreography was Build Fighters-esque in quality. :vince: Mikazuki is also a mean and vengeful little bastard and it's amazing.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 11, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also I think it is more likely that Crank is gonna seek out a solution that does not result in child murder, he is not necessarily going out to get himself killed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's been so long since a fight actually took advantage of terrain like that outside of Build Fighters, who's whole gimmick is that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I enjoyed seeing that Mika's reliance on Orga also works in reverse, in a way. It would be all too easy to make it a one-way relationship.

This was a really cool thing, and it was interesting to see the interplay of emotions in Orga when he went to Mika at the end. He doesn't seem totally comfortable with Mika's unwavering trust in his decision making.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Why is this show such a sausage fest, was that the faustian bargain made with Bandai to let them use a good script

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This season is Fujoshi Fall and heck, I'm glad of it because in addition to IBO the volleyboys are back

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the imouto voices are very familiar

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will say that the Third Company got off way easier than I thought, considering they basically tried to kill the leaders. I guess it's because resources and manpower are so scarce that they can't afford to punish them anymore than just punching really hard.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i haven't actually seen anything with the imouto va's, guess they just got that generic sound down

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I want a full-size, textless version of that farm picture in the end credits. :swoon:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Tae posted:

I will say that the Third Company got off way easier than I thought, considering they basically tried to kill the leaders. I guess it's because resources and manpower are so scarce that they can't afford to punish them anymore than just punching really hard.

It's probably that and they still think they can intimidate them into falling into line because that's what they normally do. Can wait until first corp is brutally murdered.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Holy poo poo, that fight. Mika is a beast, but they made it so that the Gundam actually felt vulnerable if caught in a bad position, and this was just against two of the setting's Zaku equivalents. Here's hoping they continue using physical weapons because goddamn if it didn't feel like poo poo hurts.

I dig how Kudelia is both smart and naive, and willing to learn and grow up. She's got the handle on the macro-scale reasons for Mars' misery but obviously she isn't clued in on the blood that will need to be shed before this is over, and yet she doesn't feel like she's going to become a gently crying pacifist princess.

And then the way Mika picked up the pistol. This show is :getin: as gently caress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When's the last time the protagonist used the enemy as shield? Specifically grunts?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

When's the last time the protagonist used the enemy as shield? Specifically grunts?

It happened a lot in G-Reco, and... uhh... not just with enemy combatants.

Bellri ventured into some pretty dark territory by the Venus Globe episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, that ED is 80's Gundam as gently caress.

Daisuke's subs are a pile of poo poo.

Episode was still good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

This season is Fujoshi Fall and heck, I'm glad of it because in addition to IBO the volleyboys are back

I did get a chuckle out of that whole 'he wanted to die drowning in boobs, not like this!' :qq: speech. Sorry, buddy, it's hard, manly chests or nothing in this outfit.

On an unrelated note, this looks to be that rare Gundam show where I'm actually OK with all the pilots keeping their PA systems turned to maximum volume during battle, because it means that the bad guys have to deal with Mika's completely nonexistent bullshit tolerance. After his exchanges with the Gjallarhorn pilots in this ep, I'm actually looking forward to the traditional Gundam JRPG-villain speech just to see how he'd react to it.

Also, I wish to be the first to note that the Barbatos uses a Mobile Worker as a Core Fighter and that is amazing. :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Delivery girl confirmed to be loving terrible. :sigh:

Tae posted:

It's been so long since a fight actually took advantage of terrain like that outside of Build Fighters, who's whole gimmick is that.

G-Reco's fights all used the environments in fun and creative ways: you never got the impression fights took place in an empty void like 00 or Seed.

Kanos posted:

That fight choreography was Build Fighters-esque in quality. :vince: Mikazuki is also a mean and vengeful little bastard and it's amazing.

Better yet: Victory quality. :getin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dude, she hasn't even done anything yet. Unless 'existing' and 'realising Mika has bigger problems than worrying about her' make her, I quote, loving terrible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

What has she done to wrong you

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Ep 2: That fight was what I really wanted the Aldnoah.Zero fights to be: a protagonist making the most of terrain and harsh tactics to make up for a disadvantage. It was great.

Also the scenes where they are prying wounded kids out of crumpled mobile workers and limping away was really good. It could've been half the episode of burying people, but they got the point across in 30 seconds and carried on appropriately.

Really starting off better than most of the Gundam series in recent memory.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I got to say, Orga is really growing on me. Also I am absolutely hoping Mika just ice burns Kudelia every episode from now on.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Schubalts posted:

I want a full-size, textless version of that farm picture in the end credits. :swoon:

Quality is a bit shite though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logicblade posted:

I got to say, Orga is really growing on me. Also I am absolutely hoping Mika just ice burns Kudelia every episode from now on.

Kudelia's about their age, yeah? I'm kinda hoping she gets the plug surgery and gets the chance to kick some rear end instead of just being on the sidelines as a passive observer the whole way through. Making a difference by her own hands and all that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Such a good ED, cheesy but awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kudelia's about their age, yeah? I'm kinda hoping she gets the plug surgery and gets the chance to kick some rear end instead of just being on the sidelines as a passive observer the whole way through. Making a difference by her own hands and all that.

It would be pretty hilarious if she bulks up, loses her shirt, gets a set of Whiskers, and gets the Kimaris rather than Orga. I mean, it is royal purple with a knight motif...

That said, they are making it clear that while the Whiskers are useful, they're not the only way to pilot a suit, or even the best way. Given that (according to the ED) Mika's getting a spacesuit at some point, I imagine they'll eventually find a better way for him to use the Barbatos.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That would probably undermine the strength of the third company if a pampered noble can survive the operation and be just as effective.

It also seems like the surgery isn't a mandatory thing, it's just an acceleration thing to make the kids better at the expense of time and their lives. Like cyber newtypes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Didn't someone also post an excerpt of setting fluff from the model kit instructions that mention that successive AV surgeries drastically increase the odds of the recipient dying, which is one of the reasons Mika's amazing, since he's managed to survive it three times?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't someone also post an excerpt of setting fluff from the model kit instructions that mention that successive AV surgeries drastically increase the odds of the recipient dying, which is one of the reasons Mika's amazing, since he's managed to survive it three times?

Is that what the deal is with him having three? I actually missed that. Also, is it just me or were the subs translations kinda bad for one or two lines in this episode? Not to mention jumping to the left and right side of the screen at time for no reason (wasn't like the speaker was off-screen on that side or anything, I mean)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sakurazuka posted:

Dude, she hasn't even done anything yet. Unless 'existing' and 'realising Mika has bigger problems than worrying about her' make her, I quote, loving terrible.

She's just the latest version of the terrible archetype of "meek girl with no personality who does nothing but pine after the hero for no reason". That's an archetype that is both super-common in anime and never amounts to anything. It's terrible writing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

She's had like 10 minutes of screen time

did she kill your dog

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Seriously. Did she use your dog's guts to make that string bracelet? There has been nothing terrible about her.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, that ED is 80's Gundam as gently caress.

Daisuke's subs are a pile of poo poo.

Episode was still good.

I'm mad at daisuke's subs.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Crank is unfortunately the type of character destined to die, it'd be nice if he attempted something other than a head-on assault but it's just not to be.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Daisuki's subs and mobile player are both pretty poo poo compared to CR and Funi, I haven't seen this many errors in a long time since I stopped watching fansubs. I don't daisuki them at all. But I am still happy to be able to watch Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans on my lunch break without having to download them. Convenience rules.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tae posted:

She's had like 10 minutes of screen time

did she kill your dog

There were 45 minutes screen time in total. I'd say she had more like two. Definitely worse than Hitler.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

She's just the latest version of the terrible archetype of "meek girl with no personality who does nothing but pine after the hero for no reason". That's an archetype that is both super-common in anime and never amounts to anything. It's terrible writing.

You're assuming she's gonna be a terrible cliche based off very little screentime before she's had the chance to accomplish anything, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cookie, Cracker, Biscuit. :3:

Forgive my Gundam ignorance, but aren't they usually nuclear powered? Regardless, this was a good second episode, i like the beaten up, stripped down look of the Barbados.

• Locked thread