Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I was already making dog sweaters and kitten mittens, now I can make ones the animals can wear to!

:catstare::hf::staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I just started playing this again after a long while of putting it off. Getting used to the new updates. I still can't really figure out military that well, so there's that. Another issue I'm having is the game doesn't seem to want to pause for certain events that I think would be pretty significant, like one of my dudes turning into a werewombat. In the time it took me to read that message and find him I think he went through like 4 dwarves. Is there any way to force the game to pause on certain announcements?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wardogs in goblin leather with goblin teeth helmets :getin:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Soho Joe posted:

I was already making dog sweaters and kitten mittens, now I can make ones the animals can wear to!

:catstare::hf::staredog:

pl...please don't make your dogs wear dog leather sweaters

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Excelzior posted:

pl...please don't make your dogs wear dog leather sweaters

Bad news: your parents are dead.

Good news: We made you a present.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
An old shepherds trick was to skin stillborn lambs and put the skin on lambs rejected by their own mothers, and then the stillborn's mother would accept the rejected lamb.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think for my next playthrough I will go full Necron Flayer. Nothing but fist fighting and wrestling for my dwarves, and they also wear the skin of their enemies.

Just turned into nice sweaters and pants.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VerdantSquire posted:

Is toady absolutely sure that these problems weren't heavily linked?
I think he means they were rare enough goblins might not have them in the first place, and then if they DID have them they were likely to slaughter them and not have any to use as mounts. So the second would still be a problem even if htey were common enough that most goblin civs would have them around.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I think for my next playthrough I will go full Necron Flayer. Nothing but fist fighting and wrestling for my dwarves, and they also wear the skin of their enemies.

Necron Flayer-Knitter.

Her Necron kids never call her anymore.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Michaellaneous posted:

For the full effect, your wrestlers should spill out of strategic trap-doors into the fracas above. Unfortunately, I don't think katars/push-knives/sword-breakers/claws are available in the base game to REALLY go full Flayer, but that should be trivial to mod in.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

CrazySalamander posted:

An old shepherds trick was to skin stillborn lambs and put the skin on lambs rejected by their own mothers, and then the stillborn's mother would accept the rejected lamb.

What.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
It's a bit out of left field, but I think what they're saying is that if there is a sheep that was rejected by its mother, you can have it be accepted by another sheep that just had a stillborn baby.

You take the skin of the stillborn and put it on the rejected sheep, and the mother will think it was her baby.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
^^ Exactly- I learned about this trick from the James Herriot books.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I just started playing this again after a long while of putting it off. Getting used to the new updates. I still can't really figure out military that well, so there's that. Another issue I'm having is the game doesn't seem to want to pause for certain events that I think would be pretty significant, like one of my dudes turning into a werewombat. In the time it took me to read that message and find him I think he went through like 4 dwarves. Is there any way to force the game to pause on certain announcements?

Yeah there's an option in data/init.announcements.txt that changes that; add 'P' to the BODY_TRANSFORMATION line and it'll pause when anything transforms (ie turns into a were creature).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

It's a real life thing (maybe) not a DF thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

my dad posted:

It's a real life thing (maybe) not a DF thing.

I am not a son of a shepard so i wouldnt know. Weird. how do you even figure that out? Seems pretty brutal.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'd never heard of this either, but if true, well, I imagine the progression goes 'oh man, this one didn't make it, well waste not want not,' 'wait, apparently the mother still thinks of this as her kid based on the scent, huh,' and then mad farm science happens.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's definitely a real thing that happens, yes. Duno if it's done so much these days, they might just rear the lamb artificially, but there are significant benefits to the ewe who lost her lamb as well as the orphan/reject. Any creature who had a rotten baby pop out of them is going to feel like poo poo and giving them something to focus on is half way to curing them. Get those mother hormones flowing.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Hand-raising a baby animal is a huge annoying pain in the rear end, much better to let a momma sheep do it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

Hand-raising a baby animal is a huge annoying pain in the rear end, much better to let a momma sheep do it.

Yeah, and our bottle-raised orphans always seemed dumber than the ones we managed to put on another ewe. They always seemed to be the one the coyotes got.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo, there's a way to make sheep even stupider than they might be otherwise?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I think my speardwarves are phasing through the wall and into the moat during training where they drown, is this something that can happen? Or is it some kinda MALIGNANT SPIRIT whisking my dwarves into the moat?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CrazySalamander posted:

^^ Exactly- I learned about this trick from the James Herriot books.

Man I remember those books. For such a nice old country veterinarian James Herriot was surprisingly hardcore.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Dongattack posted:

I think my speardwarves are phasing through the wall and into the moat during training where they drown, is this something that can happen? Or is it some kinda MALIGNANT SPIRIT whisking my dwarves into the moat?

Yep. Glad it's not just mine. :v: I had to make a little walkway around their barracks so they'd stop it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Will they still do that if you have a 2 thickness wall? I believe you can also use a layer of statues, since dwarfs will dodge into statues but won't otherwise path into them.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nettle Soup posted:

Yep. Glad it's not just mine. :v: I had to make a little walkway around their barracks so they'd stop it.

Doing the same. Initially i thought it were these buzzards i had around the castle picking them up and dropping them in the moat like the giant flying dicks they are.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Mzbundifund posted:

Man I remember those books. For such a nice old country veterinarian James Herriot was surprisingly hardcore.

People with livelihood dependent on livestock do some pretty hardcore poo poo, tbh. My neighbour growing up owned a bunch of cows and I've seen some poo poo.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Doing the same. Initially i thought it were these buzzards i had around the castle picking them up and dropping them in the moat like the giant flying dicks they are.

Great post/name combo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any current LPs going? I see that Fogwall is done but I can't bookmark archived threads and there's no easy way to read a thread on mobile unless it is bookmarked.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Are there any good tools to view legends with? Its hard to kind of figure out what the world state is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are there any good tools to view legends with? Its hard to kind of figure out what the world state is.

Legends viewer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Legends Viewer is good and there's also a tool called World Viewer that offers much of the same functionality but with some added benefits of its own.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Back to this game after a long long hiatus. Masterwork 40.24 -- a weremongoose invades!

Dwarves panic and run in fear, but thankfully he was stunned for just a moment, just a fleeting moment, by a single glass serrated disk trap

One single dwarf turns around and looks, and sees the weremongoose has tripped and fallen. "OH poo poo, LOOK GUYS, HE FELL DOWN! LITERALLY RIP HIM TO -PIECES-"

And so they did. He was swarmed by 20 or more dwarves, who proceeded to rip him to pieces with their bare hands and teeth.

They pinched his teeth out one by one. They ripped his fingers and toes off. One dwarf lady headbutted the weremongoose so hard that she hurt her neck, and had to go rest in the hospital.

The refuse pile was stacked with dozens of fingers and teeth and toes of a weremongoose when it was all over.

Fuckin' dwarves rule. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJpaDTQujMg

:black101::black101::black101:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Got a question for you guys, Is it possible to bury dead dwarves from a reclaimed fort? I can't seem to find a way to do it, and I'm getting haunted

EDIT: Actually I found his tomb. His body isn't in it, but it says he's the owner. Is this bugged or is this intentional? How to I bury this guy?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 13, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you are unable to find a body, you could engrave a memorial slab for him, which also works to make things right.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Got a question for you guys, Is it possible to bury dead dwarves from a reclaimed fort? I can't seem to find a way to do it, and I'm getting haunted

EDIT: Actually I found his tomb. His body isn't in it, but it says he's the owner. Is this bugged or is this intentional? How to I bury this guy?

He's the 'owner' so that's the tomb dwarves will haul the body parts to if they ever find them.

You can go to the stocks menu through Z and find the corpses section and hit x (I think) to look at the whole list of corpses anywhere on the map. His body should be somewhere on that list then you can zoom to it from that menu. Alternatively just engrave a memorial slab.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah ok, thanks! I haven't set up a memorial before so we'll see how this works.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Just bear in mind I'm pretty sure you actually have to PLACE the slab somewhere (it's a building), and the haunting should stop pretty much immediately with a message to that effect as soon as its erected.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I really wish there was a way in vanilla dwarf fortress to just say "Hey engrave every dead guy not buried with a slab" so I could just pump em out thirty at a time.

Whose got two thumbs and has a ton of industrial accidents? This guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

wait what's this between my toes

Toady One posted:

More stuffs done. Tested out a dwarf reading a necromancer's book in a fort mode library. Fun was had. Some more prompts for adv mode dancers. Allowed invading soldier/monster caps to be set in the init. Old bug fixed with occupancy for units pushed by flows. Etc. Should clarify that we haven't done animal barding-type armor yet -- just the clothing and armor for non-dwarves that can potentially join the fort or be traded with.

Oh. :saddowns: