Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rygar201 posted:

There is no real mechanism for expelling people from parties in the US though.

Yes there is. It's trivially easy and it's done every primary. What do you think precinct committee people are for?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Pity these billionaires poor listener." :jerkbag:
- Thomas Frank, "Pity the Billionaire"

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Suckthemonkey posted:

Yeah. Bernie's stupid on GMOs and labeling as well...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He is an old hippie from Vermont.

Of course he's stupid about atoms.

Look at these loving hippies being all stupid about atoms 'n stuff.

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power#.VhrA7vlVhBc

http://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/food-agriculture/our-failing-food-system/genetic-engineering-agriculture#.VhrBHvlVhBc

loving scientists, what do they know, am I right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's Sunday so I'll go ahead and call Paul Ryan accepting the Speaker job Wednesday. It's unfortunate because it's such a poo poo poison pill but he totallly deserves it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Union of Concerned Scientists is in fact dumb as poo poo about nuclear power, my friend.

How's that alternative energy, woops I mean coal, working out for Germany after they started shuttering their nuclear plants, again?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
As much as I want to see this lovely discussion, wasn't there a thread on the subject that prettymuch went over the matter that we can direct him to?

E: spare yourself the wrath of fishmech and just read this. Bump it if you want to discuss it more, even:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 11, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes there is. It's trivially easy and it's done every primary. What do you think precinct committee people are for?

Can party officials just straight up bar people from seeking to run in a primary?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Aliquid posted:

Expelling them from the party would be totally normal and splits like that are common (or at least used to be common) in the UK. Expelling the Freedom Caucus from Congress itself would be some Roman Empire poo poo.

I for one support the idea of a rump parliament.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rygar201 posted:

Can party officials just straight up bar people from seeking to run in a primary?

In most states, absolutely not. Getting on the primary ballot is a simple matter of having the requisite number of signatures and often paying the correct registration fees to the state in most times.

And if you win the primary, usually the only way the party can get you off the general election ballot under their party is essentially to try to get you convicted of some manner of horrible crime so that you'd have to drop out. Or to kill you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Isn't that what occurred with the Libertarian Goat Blood Drinker in Florida?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There are two whole threads where you can go be mocked for that.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because, going over this for like the 4th time to mcallister, it is not being pro-alternative medicine, its allowing people to use their insurance to pay for it. The last half the press release is about building more of these.

Ignoring the internal contradiction in the section I bolded ...

You are not changing my mind because you aren't addressing my concerns.

My main concern is that his lobbying for alternative medicine makes him an ineffective figurehead for a push toward a public option or other steps towards national health care as compared to Clinton. I don't think progress will be easy, but I believe it is possible.

Fighting to get health insurance to cover acupuncture/yoga/etc is a fun thing to do AFTER we have a national health care system. I actually support some of his initiatives, esp the yoga aka stealth exercise. Hell, If we had a solid national health care system in place I'd be lobbying for it to cover once monthly massages - other countries have found doing so reduces the occurrence of repetitive stress injuries so it both reduces overall costs and improves quality of life.

But we don't have a real national health care system yet. We are "before", not "after". Now is not the time to bang that drum. . So I don't bring up that position while talking to conservative relatives because it would completely turn them off to anything I might ever have to say on the topic.

Bernie not realizing that he shouldn't ask for dessert when we haven't even gotten dinner taken care of is a problem. His heart may be in the right place but his head doesn't appear to be in the game. Just as Ted Cruz's face begs to be punched, so to does Bernie's history advocating alternative medicine beg to be the subject of attack adds. Think of the damage that completely imaginary death panels did to the ACA efforts. Imagine if instead of conspiracy nonsense they'd had Obama insisting on the amendments Bernie proposed making insurance cover things that broad swathes of the population - bipartisan swathes! - consider to be luxuries at best and utter nonsense at worst.

That he goes past support for reasonable things like oriental themed exercise programs and into support for bunk like naturopathy is a separate issue.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

It varies by state for primary rules and county party rules for powers allotted to the chairman, so I'd have to look through all of them to see if they could just straight up do it.

But they can all eject them from the local party, have their people whip against nomination papers, deny them a place on the recommended candidate card, deny funding and party resources, and sue for using the party name/logo/brand without authorization, which has the same effect.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dahbadu posted:

I agree that there are areas of gun control that are less divisive. I would argue that it isn't against the realm of possibility to come up with a palatable AWB law or adjust the framing on the issue so it's more palatable to gun owners that aren't single-issue voters.

The AWB in particular is unpalatable because it largely consisted of a ban on a set of cosmetic features rather than things that affected the functioning of the gun. If you put the same gun in a redneck hunting stock, it shouldn't suddenly be OK.

There aren't any areas of gun control policy that aren't highly divisive. If you're going to take the political hit for engaging on that topic you should go for something useful, like requiring private sales to go through an FFL/background checks. The actual solutions (both gun-related, as well as mental health and income inequality) are unfortunately such political footballs that they can't really be addressed.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapon-ban-u-s-supreme-court-n442056

Speaking of AWBs.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

It varies by state for primary rules and county party rules for powers allotted to the chairman, so I'd have to look through all of them to see if they could just straight up do it.

But they can all eject them from the local party, have their people whip against nomination papers, deny them a place on the recommended candidate card, deny funding and party resources, and sue for using the party name/logo/brand without authorization, which has the same effect.

This is all new and interesting information. Despite all this, party power is being weakened at the local level post CU v FEC? I guess a few hundred thousand dollars has a much bigger impact that far down ticket.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

uh

My dad was a precinct committeeman for 20-something years. All he did was organize election judges, plant yard signs, and walk around handing out pamphlets. He didn't get to decide who was or wasn't in the party.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

This is all new and interesting information. Despite all this, party power is being weakened at the local level post CU v FEC? I guess a few hundred thousand dollars has a much bigger impact that far down ticket.

Yeah that's how multiple state legislatures and governorships (and a few state supreme courts) were wholly purchased in the past few years.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Oh yeah. If they don't see you coming you could probably seize a state party for $100,000 by winning a few key intraparty seats and swinging things

FuturePastNow posted:

uh

My dad was a precinct committeeman for 20-something years. All he did was organize election judges, plant yard signs, and walk around handing out pamphlets. He didn't get to decide who was or wasn't in the party.

He was also responsible for whipping for signing nomination papers, passing the preferred candidate cards, and got a vote at the party convention. Coordinating those is how you boot someone out

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Something Else posted:

Sanders has repeatedly called for demilitarizing the police.

Links?

The first I saw him address it was in his response to ferguson where he point blank was asked if the problem was the arms or the way the police were using them and answered that the weapons were just fine. No need to disarm.

The video in which he says this is still hosted by him on his senate web site. So I'm inclined to assume he still holds this stance.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/video-audio/ferguson

At 2:15 he is asked "is it the equipment or the use of the equipment that is the problem?" And answered unequivocally that the equipment is peachy keen but the police shouldn't be deploying it this way.

Several people on the Internet have assured me that their head-cannon Bernie is just as far left as Reality-Clinton is in terms of demilitarizing the police but all I've seen from reality-Bernie is the opposite.

Has Clinton and/or BLM "dragged" him to the left on this topic since I last checked it?

Oh and someone asked about debates. First one is coming up on the 13th.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CBS News Poll is out. Top 3 for the GOP nomination?

Trump - 27%
Carson - 21%
Cruz - 9%

after that
Rubio - 8%
Fiorina - 6%
Bush - 6%
Paul - 4%
Christie - 3%
Huckabee - 2%
Santorum - 1%
Jindal - less than 0.5%

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McAlister posted:

Several people on the Internet have assured me that their head-cannon Bernie is just as far left as Reality-Clinton is in terms of demilitarizing the police but all I've seen from reality-Bernie is the opposite.

Has Clinton and/or BLM "dragged" him to the left on this topic since I last checked it?
Clinton hasn't release a criminal justice position paper yet while Bernie has, but don't let that get in the way of claiming she has firm positions on it and he doesn't

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Man, Fiorina collapsed fast.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

CBS News Poll is out. Top 3 for the GOP nomination?

Trump - 27%
Carson - 21%
Cruz - 9%

after that
Rubio - 8%
Fiorina - 6%
Bush - 6%
Paul - 4%
Christie - 3%
Huckabee - 2%
Santorum - 1%
Jindal - less than 0.5%

Wonder what Carson's will do in the next month or so. He's been spewing poo poo so foul not even Deckard Cain could describe it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Waiting for Jindal to call for concentration camps for liberals to try and get badly needed publicity.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

Waiting for Jindal to call for concentration camps for liberals to try and get badly needed publicity.

I assume his tax plan came up in this thread this week, right?

I mean yeah, that's what all the GOP wants to do, but you don't be so explicit about it dude

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thump! posted:

Coffee enemas don't exactly kill hundreds of civilians every year though.

Alternative medicines and quackery likely kill or severely injure thousands a year. The deaths are just recorded as things like "cancer" or "uncontrolled hypoglycemia" instead of "the dumbass skipped chemo for a $500/week lemon oil mist and the stage I lesion metastasized" or "turns out that acupuncture isn't a replacement for insulin injections".

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Alternative medicines and quackery likely kill or severely injure thousands a year. The deaths are just recorded as things like "cancer" or "uncontrolled hypoglycemia" instead of "the dumbass skipped chemo for a $500/week lemon oil mist and the stage I lesion metastasized" or "turns out that acupuncture isn't a replacement for insulin injections".

Unless it's a chiro breaking baby's neck.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I assume his tax plan came up in this thread this week, right?

I mean yeah, that's what all the GOP wants to do, but you don't be so explicit about it dude

I don't think it got discussed much because no one really cares about Howdy Doody, unless they suffer under his misrule. Christ January can't get here fast enough. I'm not fool enough to hope John Bel Edwards wins, but maybe the next Republican will be less bad.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 11, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder what Carson's will do in the next month or so. He's been spewing poo poo so foul not even Deckard Cain could describe it.

It's pretty much all foul poo poo that appeals to the base, though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So it's Cruz's turn to get a completely hollow poll bump?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Check out @MarkHalperin's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkHalperin/status/653323697126797312?s=09

:downswords:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paul MaudDib posted:

The AWB in particular is unpalatable because it largely consisted of a ban on a set of cosmetic features rather than things that affected the functioning of the gun. If you put the same gun in a redneck hunting stock, it shouldn't suddenly be OK.

There aren't any areas of gun control policy that aren't highly divisive. If you're going to take the political hit for engaging on that topic you should go for something useful, like requiring private sales to go through an FFL/background checks. The actual solutions (both gun-related, as well as mental health and income inequality) are unfortunately such political footballs that they can't really be addressed.

Or, for that matter, requiring prompt and complete compliance with the background check system by local police forces and making sure appropriate funding is granted for them to do so. The background check should have stopped Dylann Root's handgun purchase, but it didn't.

But yes, basically you're saying what I was trying to get at. The AWB is a bad law full of gibberish terminology and a lot of gun owners justifiably view advocacy for it as a sign that said advocate is demagoguing the issue and not presenting a serious policy position. Bernie is better than that; everywhere else he has real positions, not bullshit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rygar201 posted:

I don't think it got discussed much because no one really cares about Howdy Doody, unless they suffer under his misrule. Christ January can't get here fast enough. I'm not fool enough room hope John Bel Edwards wins, but maybe the next Republican will be less bad.

Either Edwards or Dardenne.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's pretty much all foul poo poo that appeals to the base, though

I know I want him to win the nomination. :getin:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Either Edwards or Dardenne.

Tolerable. Vitter obviously sucks, and Angelle seems like he's nearly as big a Theocrat as Jindal. Dardenne is basically governor now anyway given how often Jindal is out of state

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Democrats + non-Tea Party Republicans have a majority in the House.

The "moderate" Republicans still have more in common with the Tortilla Coasters than they do with any Democrat hth

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Here is a website about alternative medicine killing dudes.

http://whatstheharm.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Volcott posted:

Here is a website about alternative medicine killing dudes.

http://whatstheharm.net/

This is a mix of schadenfreude and sad.

• Locked thread