Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

RyokoTK posted:

Silver was arguably the worst part about inarguably the worst Sonic game, don't equate him to Waluigi. :(

Sonic Boom, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jarogue posted:

Quick, some tell Gamexplain so that they can make a video.

You were saying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqnaFCYo6g

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Thanks, Andre.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Jarogue posted:

Quick, some tell Gamexplain so that they can make a video.

they had one up within like, I want to say minutes, but it was probably seconds. they browse 4chan for poo poo to make vids of.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The Lobster posted:

Sonic Boom, though.

it's impossible for a game to be worse than sonic 06. they found the opposite of the perfect formula. it was like a shabby quilt of half finished assets, "knitted" by stapling the pieces aggressively together.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 11, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Excels posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

nintendo lists shovel knight as a compatible smash bros amiibo now apparently.

Fake. It's clearly a Photoshopped Little Mac.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Lobster posted:

Sonic Boom, though.

Sonic Boom is a fairly boring and short game with many silly bugs and confusing gameplay at times. Sonic 06 is a 20+ hour game where 2 hours will be spent on loading screens by the end of it, has many, many bugs that will lead to deaths that end up having harsh penalties due to its lovely autosave, wildly different gameplay that's poo poo in different and astonishing levels and some unwieldy gameplay that gets fored to be done at high speeds.

Boom's bad, but you can do it, you can even speedrun it, 06 is simply the worst game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The 30-minute video where Andre and some other more obscure but equally awkward dudes discuss one line of text hasn't been uploaded yet though

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Excels posted:

it's impossible for a game to be worse than sonic 06. they found the opposite of the perfect formula. it was like a shabby quilt of half finished assets, "knitted" by stapling the pieces aggressively together.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sonic Boom is a fairly boring and short game with many silly bugs and confusing gameplay at times. Sonic 06 is a 20+ hour game where 2 hours will be spent on loading screens by the end of it, has many, many bugs that will lead to deaths that end up having harsh penalties due to its lovely autosave, wildly different gameplay that's poo poo in different and astonishing levels and some unwieldy gameplay that gets fored to be done at high speeds.

Boom's bad, but you can do it, you can even speedrun it, 06 is simply the worst game.

Fair enough. I've watched pokecapn's LP enough times. (Usually at least once a year.) I can't really argue. I wish he was still doing LPs because I would like to see him do Sonic Boom.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AfroLine posted:

Thanks, Andre.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember when there was a fake leak of Rayman as a fighter they made a 30 minute discussion video within an hour. I can only imagine this new one was 2 hours since it's legit

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has anyone done this? (replaced the stock chip with that ebay one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5CHVWI9Uw

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Also watch runbuttons lets play of sonic 06 if you really want to be scared off that game. Although doing shots of vodka and energy drinks and laughing your rear end off through the whole game is the best way to get through it if you absolutely had to.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The thing about Sonic 06 is that it's entertainingly bad. Sonic Boom is just completely bland and uninteresting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

majormonotone posted:

The thing about Sonic 06 is that it's entertainingly bad.

Not when you're actually playing it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Andrast posted:

Not when you're actually playing it.

Exactly. It's a schadenfreude engine.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Silver was arguably the worst part about inarguably the worst Sonic game, don't equate him to Waluigi. :(

That's true. Plus, Waluigi deserves to be the main character of his own game, considering Tingle got a whole trilogy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm considering getting a console for my kids for Christmas--girls ages 9 and 7, boy age 5. I've used a PC forever and haven't owned a console since my Atari 2600 in 1983.

Is there a Goon consensus on the best console for kids these ages between the Wii U, Playstation 4, and Xbox One?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'd help to know what kind of games or things in general your kids like. Nintendo's generally better geared for kids, but depending on their tastes they may be better off with one of the other two.

Alternatively, build a Steam Box.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wii U will have many more kid friendly games on it than PS4 and Xbox One, especially for the ages you've listed. The games are bright, colorful, and accessible, not to mention they often have local multiplayer in them, meaning all of your kids could play certain games at the same time in the same room. Plus, there's a huge virtual library of old NES games, SNES games, N64 games and more that are available for download, giving them access to older games in series that many people originally grew up with. Try finding Super Mario 3D World, it's a big colorful 3D Mario game with cats, big band jazz and tons of variety where all your kids can play at the same time as they run through levels.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wii U's pretty good, you got your platformers (both Mario games here have 4 player co-op) some fun party games (all the Wii Sports and there's Wii Party U), Mario Kart, Rayman Legends is pretty nice with the gamepad for co-op and Splatoon's just for one player but it's really, really good and child-friendly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ynglaur posted:

I'm considering getting a console for my kids for Christmas--girls ages 9 and 7, boy age 5. I've used a PC forever and haven't owned a console since my Atari 2600 in 1983.

Is there a Goon consensus on the best console for kids these ages between the Wii U, Playstation 4, and Xbox One?

Ask them what their friends have, buy whatever let's them play with their friends.
If the answer is none/don't know/whatever, the WiiU by default is going to have more kid friendly games.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks everyone. Games with same-room coop are ideal, as is anything that makes them move around some. Once we have 2 feet of snow in the yard it's hard to play outside all the time.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Another thing to know about the Wii U is that it has a higher ratio of quality titles to bad ones, so picking up a random Wii U game will work more often then the other two.

Also it has Wii backwards compatibility. Though the Wii was infamous for shovelware, so those titles you'll want to be more careful with.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cross-posting from the deals thread: Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U are both on sale at Best Buy for $44.99 ($35.99 with GCU) with free shipping. Amazon has price-matched each (Smash link, Splatoon link). They also have Mario Party 10 for $34.99 ($27.99 with GCU), also price-matched by Amazon.

In case anybody here doesn't have Splatoon or Smash yet and needs to rectify that.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

In response to the Sonic discussion, I feel like Lost World gets a more of a bad rap than it actually deserves mostly because it wasn't Generations 2 and from people haven't actually played it past the first level if at all. It's actually a pretty solid platformer with a good variety of levels, a good soundtrack, and some poorly explained mechanics. I went into it expecting it to be kind of bad, but it was a pleasant surprise how good it felt to play once I got the hang of how it was supposed to be played. If you want a good Wiiu game for 15 - 20 dollars, it's not a bad choice.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I think the biggest problem with Lost World is that the game is completely uninterested in telling you how to play it and the manual is basically useless. It's extremely frustrating to get used to and it controls and plays very differently from every other 3D Sonic game. It's not a bad game, but it's one of the few instances where I would argue that a game needs more tutorials.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lost World is kinda the ultimate of mixed bags. The game is pretty unfocused and doesn't seem to quite know what it wants to be, so it oscillates wildly from being pretty good to pretty bad. It has silly design decisions like having one path with a lot of platforms and enemies and another path with boost pads that make you automatically skip all that level design. Or having two jump buttons that work differently and never telling you this. Or a level where you turn into a snowball with terrible controls. It has some pretty solid platforming though interspersed between all of the weird kinda dumb stuff, hell it even has some 3D platforming, for the first time ever in a Sonic game!

The 3DS version is garbage though, don't play it

Also why the gently caress are Wisps even in the game? Seriously.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2015

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Are regular New 3DSes even available outside of the AC bundle in NA?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No

Not officially. You can probably bet your rear end GameStop will sell used ones with white plates for like $179 or something in a few months

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks everyone. Games with same-room coop are ideal, as is anything that makes them move around some. Once we have 2 feet of snow in the yard it's hard to play outside all the time.

As others have said, Wii U is probably their best bet unless they want to play minecraft with their friends or something. The Wii U has several legitimately great games that are also accessible and age-appropriate for children, and I don't think that's true of the other consoles.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What is that Angry Bird even doing there, this looks like a lovely mod.

Everything else is Sonic based save for that bird. He even does the same spins as Sonic, except red instead of blue. It's 99% Sonic, 1% Angry Bird.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Augus posted:

Also why the gently caress are Wisps even in the game? Seriously.

Yeah the Wisps are completely pointless and dumb. I didn't even like them much in Colors but in Lost World they were just superfluous

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah the Wisps are kind of an odd addition. I guess they wanted to appeal to people who liked Colors, but they're not very well implemented for the most part.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean in the 3DS version they even go as far as making the final boss use your Wisp powers against you like it did in Colors. But the wisps are literally never mentioned in the plot. What the hell is up with that? It's just bizarre and I will never understand it

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

majormonotone posted:

The thing about Sonic 06 is that it's entertainingly bad. Sonic Boom is just completely bland and uninteresting.
On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it. Sonic Boom's core design would still be bland garbage even if it were polished to a shine.

Augus posted:

I mean in the 3DS version they even go as far as making the final boss use your Wisp powers against you like it did in Colors. But the wisps are literally never mentioned in the plot. What the hell is up with that? It's just bizarre and I will never understand it
The Sonic series in general has no idea what it wants to be. Other than Generations, basically every game in the past ten years has been 'throw a bunch of ideas at the wall and hope some of it sticks and none of it combines into an explosive compound that destroys the wall'... to varying degrees of success.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Urdnot Fire posted:

Cross-posting from the deals thread: Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U are both on sale at Best Buy for $44.99 ($35.99 with GCU) with free shipping. Amazon has price-matched each (Smash link, Splatoon link). They also have Mario Party 10 for $34.99 ($27.99 with GCU), also price-matched by Amazon.

In case anybody here doesn't have Splatoon or Smash yet and needs to rectify that.

Thanks, picked up Mario Party. I wasn't SUPER interested in it but at that price I can take a gamble.

Just like I'm not SUPER interested in Lost World but you guys are kind of selling it to me if I see it for around $20.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chaltab posted:

On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it.

I don't think this is true

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chaltab posted:

On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it.

No. Even if the game was polished to a mirror sheen and there were absolutely no bugs and glitches, it'd still be a tremendous failure in level design, art direction and story and that'd be enough to still consider it one of the worst Sonic games.

The difference between Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom is that Sonic 06 is so terrible it comes back around to being kind of interesting, while Sonic Boom is just boring even despite the myriad of technical problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
All sonic games are bad let's not argue about which is more bad and just laugh collectively at the entire series

• Locked thread