Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

a kitten posted:

Cookie, Cracker, Biscuit. :3:

Forgive my Gundam ignorance, but aren't they usually nuclear powered? Regardless, this was a good second episode, i like the beaten up, stripped down look of the Barbados.

It's entirely based on what the universe entails. SEED didn't have nuclear powered suits until the FREEDOM, and that was a big deal.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

:kimchi:

Good episode. Orga's really awesome, and in the OP it looked like he was captaining a battleship. That would be cool as hell!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Srice posted:

You're assuming she's gonna be a terrible cliche based off very little screentime before she's had the chance to accomplish anything, then?

Yes, due to past experience with anime. If she turns out to be not-terrible I'll eat my words.

She had three scenes and none of them added anything to the show. If they'd used those scenes to set her up as a civilian viewpoint into Martian society, I wouldn't be complaining. Instead she makes a bracelet and is worried about if he's going to like it or not. That's super obvious "Doormat" territory. And I HATE doormat characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, due to past experience with anime. If she turns out to be not-terrible I'll eat my words.

you could just not make the bad post in the first place, then there'd be no words to eat

seriously, it's episode 2 of 25

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Instead of treating anime like some huge monolithic thing, perhaps look at the writer and director of this show? Are they prone to this archetype? Is the gundam franchise?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Or they could wait until she has more screentime, no big deal.

The cookie trio was adorable :3: Highly enjoyed the ED too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a kitten posted:

Forgive my Gundam ignorance, but aren't they usually nuclear powered? Regardless, this was a good second episode, i like the beaten up, stripped down look of the Barbados.

iirc, minovsky reactors are small fusion reactors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Instead of treating anime like some huge monolithic thing, perhaps look at the writer and director of this show? Are they prone to this archetype? Is the Gundam franchise?

The writer/director might not be, but the Gundam franchise is littered with terrible female characters. Shakti, Marina, all of AGE, etc.

When a character has a short amount of screentime, you need to set them up right away. You can't waste it. If all you know about a character for weeks is the one scene they had back in episode 1, it's going to shape your vision of that character to a large degree. And so far in both episodes her character can be summed up by: small, worried, in love with MC. Not a good start.

This is contrasted with the rest of the show, which is really good so far. Pretty much all the other characters managed to be presented in a lot more interesting way so far, including those who have had equally tiny screen time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You're the worst character in this thread, that's for sure.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Is this one of those threads where we're not allowed to criticize the show? So far she's the weakest character of the bunch. Yeah, it is early to write her off entirely, but that is not what is happening here and it is not unreasonable to have high standards when pretty much the whole rest of the cast is as good as they are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's the kind of thread where we make fun of a dude this mad about a character with no screentime, yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Is this one of those threads where we're not allowed to criticize the show? So far she's the weakest character of the bunch. Yeah, it is early to write her off entirely, but that is not what is happening here and it is not unreasonable to have high standards when pretty much the whole rest of the cast is as good as they are.

Saying "This part of the show will be bad because it's anime" is a really dumb statement, it's not even approaching anything like legitimate criticism

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If it was something like "I don't like the way this character type has been handled in other shows by the people that made this" that would be way more tangible ground, but like Droyer said, anime isn't monolithic.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
goddamn I love that ED

goddamn I love this show in general

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

It sounds like she survives till the end of the show at least, with the "but I knew he wasn't OK" narration after she chickened out giving him the bracelet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Midjack posted:

It sounds like she survives till the end of the show at least, with the "but I knew he wasn't OK" narration after she chickened out giving him the bracelet.

That line was referencing when she asked him if he was alright, even though it was kinda obvious he wasn't. It wasn't referring to anything in the future of the show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
So apparently the singer of the ED is the fourth highest selling musician in Japan, and this is her first song for any anime.

Congrats to Sunrise for not just having a generic j-pop ED.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jesus christ.

I make a minor complaint about a character I think is terrible so far. And then when people make fun of me for it I explain it's because, SO FAR, she fits a terrible and extremely common archetype that I hate. That's it. I didn't make a huge three-page rant like that dude who was super pissed at the G-Self's ears: I've barely written one parapgraph if you add all three or four of my posts. I'm not even angry: all I said was she was bad. If anything I'm disappointed becaus ethe rest of the show so far was great. poo poo, the original complaint was a single sentence and all I've been doing after that was answering questions about it.

But I guess making fun of other goons is more important than reading comprehension.

Edit: How dare I have a single tiny complaint!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

mad

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Reds posted:

So apparently the singer of the ED is the fourth highest selling musician in Japan, and this is her first song for any anime.

Congrats to Sunrise for not just having a generic j-pop ED.

this is cool

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hah she's sold a lot but she's not in the top 5

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Davincie posted:

hah she's sold a lot but she's not in the top 5

I got this second hand so might be off by a bit.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

NotALizardman posted:

:kimchi:

Good episode. Orga's really awesome, and in the OP it looked like he was captaining a battleship. That would be cool as hell!

Not only that, but it looks like the maid is a part of the crew from that scene.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:rip: shirtless cockpit shots
i guess the eventual spacesuits will have some way to accommodate the whiskers

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This show seems pretty great. Protagonist is too vanilla, and so is Bernstein, but lot of the supporting cast are really interesting and I'm kinda hoping even the aforementioned characters will develop in a reasonable manner. This episode has some nice examples of actual agency too. Fight choreography seems well executed too, and there's this feeling of things going forward and a sense of dread.

This Gundam show seems really promising, you guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty good second episode. I think the cast is a bit bland overall so far but they've only had two episodes and a handful of lines to develop so they can go places. The fight scene was good enough that I'm disappointed to see more generic space battles in the OP. I will say that the contrast of grim reality of war with three characters named Biscuit, Cookie and Cracker is a little odd but that's Gundam and its goofy names.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That line was referencing when she asked him if he was alright, even though it was kinda obvious he wasn't. It wasn't referring to anything in the future of the show.

I guess I hit on her talking over the title card for the episode and that seems to signify a flashback when I see it other places but yeah, maybe I'm way off base here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam OPs lie so much, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I think like half the battle footage in the third 00 opening was a lie.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This episode was really good. I feel like it wasn't as immediately wow-ing as the first episode since it doesn't insist on bucking the Gundam clichés as much, but it was still hella strong and I'm now super optimistic for the rest of the show. :3:

Also, the ED owns bones, all the music owns bones, I'm going to buy the soundtracks on disc like I did for Unicorn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Gundam OPs lie so much, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I think like half the battle footage in the third 00 opening was a lie.

Well, I just mean 'space battles' in general are something I'm less excited for. I hope they can make them engaging but I'm always more fond of "lovely Gundam using its terrain" stuff when it shows up.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

That's also really cool - the 'lovely' Gundam, I mean. Crank isn't impressed by this powerful and undefeatable white devil, he's impressed to watch Mika wreck house with an ancient piece of crap. The upclose shots of Barbatos show dents and pockmarks all over, appropriate for an old relic pulled out of a generator room as a last-ditch weapon.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You may already know this, but I've made a new gundam megathread. If you like this and want more from the franchise i encourage you to check it out.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I like the idea here that the Gundam itself isn't an invincible prototype where a noob can dominate legions of experienced soldiers. Mikazuki is winning because of skill, but also (mainly?) because of the neural interface (that has serious compatability issues based on the age of the recipient, as well as health drawbacks) allowing increased reaction times.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

a kitten posted:

Usually. This one apparently isn't, and I doubt we'll get too much info on what an "Ahab reactor" is, but it ran out of propellant, which is separate from its fuel source...again, apparently

I marked out at the sci-fi stuff for the Gundam. neural interface, retinal projection, stuff like that feels like there's going to be more of a nod towards the science fiction aspect stuff than what we've gotten over the past few decades.

If it weren't for the fact that it makes you bleed, the vajajay naan implants and BDI stuff would feel right out of a heinlein novel or something

muike fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 12, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Usually. This one apparently isn't, and I doubt we'll get too much info on what an "Ahab reactor" is, but it ran out of propellant, which is separate from its fuel source...again, apparently

This was true of UC gundams too. They were powered by an internal reactor, but their thrusters were powered by a chemical propellant (until the V2 at least).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

This was true of UC gundams too. They were powered by an internal reactor, but their thrusters were powered by a chemical propellant (until the V2 at least).

All rockets require reaction mass. If you're in an atmosphere you can use air, but in space you have to bring your own whether you're using a chemical rocket, MHD, or whatever else.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aha, thanks for all the answers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

All rockets require reaction mass. If you're in an atmosphere you can use air, but in space you have to bring your own whether you're using a chemical rocket, MHD, or whatever else.

While this is true, I'm not sure how meaningful it is to bring real science into even the most realistic of gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The way Mikazuki moves in the Barbatos is so cool.

• Locked thread