Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Bluedeanie posted:

I think the money came from the fact that he was able to parlay his podcast listenership into big sponsor checks for his fights moreso than actually earning a lot for the podcast itself, which obviously is not something he can do anymore and is why he was so outspoken to the Reebok deal.

Not that it makes his retirement any less good and pleasant for us.

It was well before the podcast. When he struck his big money deal he was considered a prospect and slaying old, big names and started getting paid big for being on the main card in many of his fights. Even if the Reebok deal didn't happen I really doubt Schaub's sponsorship deal for fights would sustain its value (6 figs) with where he was in the division though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Helwani looked so irritated when rampage talked about his stream, it was amazing.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I kept expecting him to say, "I'm the juggernaut, bitch."

He also went on Ariel's 300th show and told him to gently caress off, so that was pretty cool.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

FishBowlRobot posted:

He also went on Ariel's 300th show and told him to gently caress off, so that was pretty cool.
Followed by Serra yelling at Ariel for failing to stand up for himself.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Rampage didn't make it, it's from audio of him playing himself on the UFC game on stream https://streamable.com/n914

I bet Rampage would find that poo poo funny though, his stream is the best

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
watching someone play video games sounds like a good way to spend my free time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

-Atom- posted:

I don't loving understand it but people have become literal millionaires from making videos of themselves playing video games.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

-Atom- posted:

Compared to how you're currently spending your free time I don't really see how it's worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rampage is a charismatic and funny guy, someone like him is well suited for streaming, or podcasting, which isn't far removed at all.

Sometimes people who get famous doing it just seem to have lady luck on their side because they're not charismatic or funny.

If someone can get a couple of million a year from being stupid, screaming at things and doing dumb faces, credit to them for riding people who want to pay them to do that all the way to the bank.

e: A guy who streams Minecraft bought a 4.5 million dollar mansion this week

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 10, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Video games are cool and fun and it is sometimes entertaining to watch people who are good or funny while playing them.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Disagree

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've never watched a Let's Play, but since "Watching a dude and two puppets watch bad movies" was one of the most beloved comedies of the 90's I'm not sure why it's so unbelievable that "Watching people play video games" would be entertaining.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like I said above, the format isn't really too far removed from podcasting, it's just inherently audiovisual as opposed to most podcasts being audio primarily. When it boils down to it, it's generally just listening to a person or group of them talk to each other about poo poo and get along. If you like podcasts, you'd probably be into some LP's too.

Put it this way, if you like watching Joe Rogan's podcast where he sits at his table talking about alphabrain, you'd probably enjoy Joe Rogan and his mates getting high as gently caress then play Grand Theft Auto while talking about alphabrain.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Cyborg on ronda, body issues and bullying

https://m.facebook.com/criscyborgmma/posts/10153104544706892

mewse
May 2, 2006

gently caress off Cyborg

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

I don't usually watch the Let's Play type of streams but it is funny to watch these highlights of Rampage's stream and I can also see why people would watch them on a more regular basis. Usually I'll watch CS or fighting game tournaments because I find these games fun and I am interested in high level competition in those games in particular. In my mind this isn't any different than watching MMA because I enjoy practicing martial arts and have an interest in competitive martial arts at a high level.

Throwing money at streamers is a whole different story to me, but more power to people who decide they can afford it I guess. Joe Rogan had a guy from the top North American CSGO team on his podcast who completely blew Rogan's mind at how much money is in the streaming business.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

fatherdog posted:

I've never watched a Let's Play, but since "Watching a dude and two puppets watch bad movies" was one of the most beloved comedies of the 90's I'm not sure why it's so unbelievable that "Watching people play video games" would be entertaining.

So many sleepless nights made livable by watching MST3K back in the day.

mewse posted:

gently caress off Cyborg

Also this.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

there's isn't a single one as funny as Tom Servo, but there are countless who are more robotic

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

"You cheated and used steroids"
"Yes, but now i'm close to god."

haha loving hell.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Aurain posted:

Put it this way, if you like watching Joe Rogan's podcast where he sits at his table talking about alphabrain, you'd probably enjoy Joe Rogan and his mates getting high as gently caress then play Grand Theft Auto while talking about alphabrain.

If any of us actually watched fights, I'd watch funny people watch fights and talk about them while they happened. Sort of like what Joe Rogan is doing with his fight companion podcast, but legally allowed to broadcast the fight footage simultaneously on the screen.

Now replace that with video games. whoa.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Let's Play: In Traffic

Starring Atom

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

Let's Play: In Traffic

Starring Atom

lol

for real though i've watched dave chappelle stand around on a stage because he's funny and entertaining. i'm sure i'd watch him suck at nintendo too. generally though i don't think there's much crossover with guys who play video games all the time and guys who i'd want to hear speak at length so personally i'll spend my time doing basically anything else

they posted the joe duffy / jake lindsay fight for free on youtube and you may as well watch it again because it loving owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CG9vmSfhWg

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like how Dave Chappelle will do 90 minute sets but 50 minutes of them minimum are him smoking.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Duffy is outrageously skilled. His boxing is crisp. He has damaging kicks and knees. Sub game on point. Yeah he's a scary dude.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I appreciate a fighter who throws body shots after wobbling his opponent. That poo poo is the best.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
A random woman walked into Faber's house, locked herself in the bathroom, poo poo herself, threw up, and passed out.
He had to call the cops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREyxpTaBg0

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's a Yoel Romero joke to be made there but :effort:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
sounds like faber got visited by the poverty ghost irl

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A random woman walked into Faber's house, locked herself in the bathroom, poo poo herself, threw up, and passed out.
He had to call the cops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREyxpTaBg0

:lol:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
She probably figured there's TJs room free in the compound

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TheRationalRedditor posted:

sounds like faber got visited by the poverty ghost irl

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
stay safe, poverty ghost.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

This is a treasure. We must preserve it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Countdown to the woman being revealed as Jon Jones in disguise.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I love that during all this, he had the sense of mind to snapchat the whole incident.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did any of the posts about Mark Hunt's book cover how Counterstrike stopped his backwards slide into slot machine gambling?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I really recommend that book - it was a good read.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Marching Powder posted:

they posted the joe duffy / jake lindsay fight for free on youtube and you may as well watch it again because it loving owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CG9vmSfhWg

the punch that dropped him didnt look like a nything at all, was it the bod shots or the head kick before it that caused him to wilt from that punch? It looked like such a glancing blow I dont know how it did any damage.

I love watching joe duffy throw strikes, he has really good accuracy. I hope he fights conor one day and shuts him the gently caress up (I like conor but it would own if an irish man beat him).

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Meowbot posted:

the punch that dropped him didnt look like a nything at all, was it the bod shots or the head kick before it that caused him to wilt from that punch? It looked like such a glancing blow I dont know how it did any damage.

I love watching joe duffy throw strikes, he has really good accuracy. I hope he fights conor one day and shuts him the gently caress up (I like conor but it would own if an irish man beat him).

If there's one thing history has taught us, it is being beaten down soundly and repeatedly by the same person or people will definitely cause an Irishman to shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

If there's one thing history has taught us, it is being beaten down soundly and repeatedly by the same person or people will definitely cause an Irishman to shut up.

People still hate England so much though to be fair they are incredibly English. The Joe Duffy fight will be funny because they represent the two opposite ends of Irish culture. The lovely country boy from the back arse of nowhere and the rough tough city boy. Personally I hope Conor defends against him in Croker and taps out within a minute again.

• Locked thread