Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

What are some of your favorite programs to use for those purposes, and what sorts of analysis do you do?

I have some very limited experience with R and I'm looking for more to learn. I'm starting to learn SQL as well, but that's different.

Nothing too too fancy, mostly just Python plus libs. I also use CodeV for optical analysis and Mathematica when I'm too lazy to crunch an integral.

Hed posted:

I would, that's cheap as hell to have Office and Never Worry About It Again.

Yeah, bulk licensing deal through school.

e: oh poo poo, I can just get a free 365 ProPlus subscription while I'm enrolled. Guess I have a year to decide if I want to buy a key!

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Man, Office is the one Microsoft thing I can't get for free through my computer science department's MSDN or for any kind of discount at the school's computer store. I'm getting sick of LibreOffice just not quite doing the right Rhino with professors' slides :(

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Jesus the official Pro 2016 license from Microsoft is $400 :stare: I'd probably spring for $50, but until then Office Online and the open source ones are good enough. Based on a convo I overheard at work, the collaborative doc stuff doesn't work on prem unless you're upgraded to Exchange 2016, too

I use Kingsoft Office over Libre on my home PC - a little less functional but it looks great.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is Windows 7's firewall good? If not what should I get instead?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is Windows 7's firewall good? If not what should I get instead?

Yes it's good. But you should get the free Windows 10 upgrade instead, because the firewall's even better in 10.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

iSheep posted:

Once a week Windows 8.1 for some inexplicable reason deletes all my photo thumbnail previews which results in me having to wait around while it builds them again.

I've tried deleting the entire cache and letting it rebuild, and it still persists. How the gently caress do I get this to stop? Waiting around for thumbnails to rebuild is annoying and costs me time.

Do you use CCleaner? Do you have this checked?

Edit: Can also try nuking C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and then killing Explorer.exe and re-launching it (or rebooting)

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 11, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes it's good. But you should get the free Windows 10 upgrade instead, because the firewall's even better in 10.

Is Windows 10 stable yet? I've heard reports from friends that's it's a mess but that was a while ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is Windows 10 stable yet? I've heard reports from friends that's it's a mess but that was a while ago.

It's totally fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's been stable as hell since it came out for me. Plus even if you experience problems, if you made a backup in Windows 7's backup system, you can use that to roll back to 7, and still be able to upgrade to 10 again for free later.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's totally fine.

Are you being sarcastic? Someone on the last page was just saying if you have "windows tooltips" on or something you can save any new files.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Someone on the last page was just saying if you have "windows tooltips" on or something you can save any new files.

It has like 80 million installs/upgrades or something like that and the world hasn't ended yet. There hasn't been a big "outrage" about instability in 10 so yeah, I'd say it's fine. Most of the things people seem unhappy about is stuff revolving around the forced updates and privacy.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Windows 10 is functional and stable for me, in that there aren't any notable bugs (except ones that also exist in Windows 7 and one UI setting that's rerolled to default on restarts) and everything works more or less as expected.

Having said that, having control of my computer periodically taken away from me is really obnoxious (if you manage to disable forced updates and restarts, Windows resorts to preventing you from interacting with anything on the computer except an Update Now button which it overlays on the screen).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

I've never touched anything like that, and it works fine.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any suggestions of freeware for batch renaming files?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

The ui is awful, but it gets the job done.

Apparently it has ads in it now though? Maybe just get an old version.

e: You could also just use powershell probably.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 11, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

e: ^^^^ dunno why anyone keeps using that.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Den4b Renamer

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thanks, guys! Den4b Renamer is pretty good.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

e: ^^^^ dunno why anyone keeps using that.

Den4b Renamer

Yeah, I actually found the same program you suggested after a bit of searching and I agree it looks better but it seemed a little pointless to edit after you'd already posted it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Read posted:

Yeah, I actually found the same program you suggested after a bit of searching and I agree it looks better but it seemed a little pointless to edit after you'd already posted it.
Oh, nothing against you for bringing it up. I'm just surprised every time it comes up that the thing keeps existing and scoring high in google with that interface. It's a capable program, but the ui designer should have been shot a long time ago.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
But its free for commercial use, I think.

On an unrelated note, can anyone help by describing how I can configure an Asus RT-N66U home wireless router to prioritize VOIP traffic for Skype for Business? I work from home a lot, and am trying to do anything I can to help the audio quality. Teamspeak, Mumble, and normal Skype are all fine, so it may not be fixable on my end, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 12, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is there a good ad blocker for Edge yet? I wanna give it a try but if there isn't anything then it's no dice until they roll out extensions.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

But its free for commercial use, I think.

On an unrelated note, can anyone help by describing how I can configure an Asus RT-N66U home wireless router to prioritize VOIP traffic for Skype for Business? I work from home a lot, and am trying to do anything I can to help the audio quality. Teamspeak, Mumble, and normal Skype are all fine, so it may not be fixable on my end, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

I think (?) you want this video but I've never messed with QoS before since I've never had a decent router.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsUDIsx_w

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Philip Rivers posted:

Is there a good ad blocker for Edge yet? I wanna give it a try but if there isn't anything then it's no dice until they roll out extensions.

I think the rumor is that extensions are coming with the first whatever-they're-calling-a-service-pack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone know a good replacement for Irfanview? I updated to 3.40 just now and a bunch of things broke (most notably the ability to scroll while full screen). Their forums are on lockdown so I can't even ask what the gently caress.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone know a good replacement for Irfanview? I updated to 3.40 just now and a bunch of things broke (most notably the ability to scroll while full screen). Their forums are on lockdown so I can't even ask what the gently caress.

I use faststone image viewer. Their maxview product is also good but not free iirc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

"no spyware no malware" and the first download link is from Cnet :v: The selfhosted installer works, at least.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Read posted:

I think (?) you want this video but I've never messed with QoS before since I've never had a decent router.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsUDIsx_w

I was able to figure out where to go in the admin console. What I can't seem to find is what protocol and ports Skype for Business uses.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just installed Outlook 2016, and it refuses to connect to my Outlook.com account. I provide my email address (name@outlook.com) and my password in the Outlook pop-up box, but it never resolves.

Has anyone experienced this and determined how to resolve it? My Outlook.com account works fine in the built-in Mail app and via the web interface.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

I just installed Outlook 2016, and it refuses to connect to my Outlook.com account. I provide my email address (name@outlook.com) and my password in the Outlook pop-up box, but it never resolves.

Has anyone experienced this and determined how to resolve it? My Outlook.com account works fine in the built-in Mail app and via the web interface.

I just tried mine and it seemed to work properly. Outlook 2016 requires autodiscover now (where other versions did not), but I'd assume Microsoft already had that setup.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

I just tried mine and it seemed to work properly. Outlook 2016 requires autodiscover now (where other versions did not), but I'd assume Microsoft already had that setup.

Crap. I hope this doesn't mean I have to call Microsoft Support. It's hell as a consumer to even find a link. :negative:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what's a good alternative to displayfusion? I only use it for the taskbar on my 2nd monitor but it routinely throws it on top of videos and has crashed altogether a couple times in the week I've used it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ACDSee 3.1 is the best image viewer of all time.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

I had to reinstall Office 2016 and tried to automatically set up my Outlook.com e-mail and after a few minutes it tried to set it up as POP3 for some reason.

I went and manually set up an ActiveSync account. (m.hotmail.com for the server).

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Saukkis posted:

It's not that simple to do GUI tasks with proper administrative rights on a Windows with UAC. On this kind of situation I would usually start a command prompt with admin rights (Right click - Run as administrator) and then use robocopy to do the copying. You would probably need to run 'net use' to map the file share on the other computer. Robocopy running this way may not have access to everything, but those are usually things you wouldn't care anyway. You could run command prompt with system rights, but that's trickier.

Does robocopy fail gracefully in the sense that it'll just skip a non-copyable file and move on to the next one?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm on W7 and recently I bought a video card and slapped it in, it didn't work so I put the old one back in, and ever since my clock has been going out of sync. I literally never restart or turn off my computer I'll just be sitting there and I'll look down at the clock and it will be wrong, sometimes behind by 30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, once it was behind by 7 hours.

If I go into the menu and sync it with the server it fixes it, I don't get why this is happening I ran a scan for malware and updated every windows update to no avail

the only solution I've noticed on Google is that my CMOS battery is bad, but wouldn't that only mess with the clock if I was turning off my computer and turning it back on? shouldn't windows be capable of setting a clock once and having it stay?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Cyril Sneer posted:

Does robocopy fail gracefully in the sense that it'll just skip a non-copyable file and move on to the next one?

If you change the default Retry and wait settings, yes. By default it retries the copy a ton of times.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Win 10 Pro; I have two Updates for my HP Printer that keep failing. Printer works fine, have tried removing/reinstalling drivers, etc. In previous versions of Windows you could hide updates you wanted to shut the gently caress up. I don't see that option with Win 10. Google-fu says it doesn't exist anymore. I need confirmation that this is the case and/or any other suggestions that will make Win 10 shut up.

Comedy answers are 'Apple' and 'Roll back to Win 8.1/7', so don't reuse them :haw:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yes, as long as you set the retry value to lower than the default of million. And since you probably want to copy \Users then also set /XJ to avoid the infinite symbolic link loop hell.

The command I've usually used is something like
code:
robocopy C:\ X:\backup\ /E /Z /COPYALL /R:1 /W:1 /V /FP /ETA /TEE /XJ /LOG+:X:\backup\robocopy.log
	/XF pagefile.sys hiberfil.sys /XD "System Volume Information" "Temporary Internet Files"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

I had to reinstall Office 2016 and tried to automatically set up my Outlook.com e-mail and after a few minutes it tried to set it up as POP3 for some reason.

I went and manually set up an ActiveSync account. (m.hotmail.com for the server).

That wasn't working before, but I'll try again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

baram. posted:

what's a good alternative to displayfusion? I only use it for the taskbar on my 2nd monitor but it routinely throws it on top of videos and has crashed altogether a couple times in the week I've used it.

That's weird. I've never had it crash on my Win 7 box or overlay on videos, and I've been running it for over 6 years.