Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not that I thought the Sonic characters were particularly interesting to begin with, but Sonic Boom tried to hard to mash the playable characters into the The Leader/The Girl/The Brains/The Muscle party archetype that they got so dull they blended into the background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Chaltab posted:

On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it.

yeah if they had enough time to completely redesign everything about it it might have been good

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Chaltab posted:

On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it. Sonic Boom's core design would still be bland garbage even if it were polished to a shine.

the early trailers actually looked better than the final product by a mile

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A completely polished Sonic 06 would probably be Slightly better than Shadow the Hedgehog.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tender Bender posted:

As others have said, Wii U is probably their best bet unless they want to play minecraft with their friends or something. The Wii U has several legitimately great games that are also accessible and age-appropriate for children, and I don't think that's true of the other consoles.

I have no idea how Minecraft Story Mode differs from regular Minecraft but that version is coming to Wii U. Terraria's coming, too.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if nintendo had gotten minecraft on wii u 2 or 3 years ago, they would have sold like a billion consoles. it would have been stupidly easy to port.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I have no idea how Minecraft Story Mode differs from regular Minecraft but that version is coming to Wii U. Terraria's coming, too.

Story Mode is a a Telltale Adventure Game set in the minecraft world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The not-minecraft on the Wii U seems to be selling pretty well, and it's not like it's missing anything from not being the official semi-made thing.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Excels posted:

it would have been stupidly easy to port.

poo poo non-devs say

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Excels posted:

if nintendo had gotten minecraft on wii u 2 or 3 years ago, they would have sold like a billion consoles. it would have been stupidly easy to port.

That would've required effort and appealing to a third party company on Nintendo's part

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

Story Mode is a a Telltale Adventure Game set in the minecraft world.

:psyduck:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A Big... Dog posted:

poo poo non-devs say
Also works for "poo poo excels says"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Also works for "poo poo excels says"

but you guys only like taint reaper "ironically" right

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheKingofSprings posted:

That would've required effort and appealing to a third party company on Nintendo's part

And also Notch didn't like Nintendo at the time and so said "nah, we're never putting it on there."

And now they're owned by Microsoft so don't expect it to ever happen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FPzero posted:

And now they're owned by Microsoft so don't expect it to ever happen.

I think Minecraft is like the best selling game on the Vita or something

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

and it looks like poo poo!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It was a promised feature of the game back when Nosh started it and it never happened, so Microsoft figured that delivering on that with people that can do story, while also getting an extra 30 bucks off it, was the optimal way to please fans.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Minecraft is like the best selling game on the Vita or something

Yeah but did that come out before or after the Microsoft acquisition? Basically, unless there was already a contract to port it to a system, don't expect Microsoft to put future Minecraft installments on any competitor's systems. I mean, there's a reason they're developing the Windows 10 version right now. Someone in the Minecraft thread posted a thought that maybe Mojang will never go back and truly optimize original java Minecraft because MS is trying to push people onto W10 using the W10 Minecraft as bait. It's a bit along the conspiracy theory side of things but I'd honestly believe it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

FPzero posted:

Yeah but did that come out before or after the Microsoft acquisition? Basically, unless there was already a contract to port it to a system, don't expect Microsoft to put future Minecraft installments on any competitor's systems. I mean, there's a reason they're developing the Windows 10 version right now. Someone in the Minecraft thread posted a thought that maybe Mojang will never go back and truly optimize original java Minecraft because MS is trying to push people onto W10 using the W10 Minecraft as bait. It's a bit along the conspiracy theory side of things but I'd honestly believe it.

It was after. That said, Microsoft's competition front is the home console market. The handheld market is something they haven't entered. Thus, I think Microsoft doesn't mind having their studios put out games on their competitors handheld consoles so long as they see profit in it for them, and their studios have indeed put some of their IPs on their competitors handhelds as "third party" developers.

Yes, I know: It's a weird decision.

EDIT: Addendum and possible correction: Mojang was bought out by Microsoft in Spetember 2014, but they did announce PS3, PS4, and PS Vita editions of Minecraft (in collaboration with 4J Studios) before that. Thus, they may have been contractually obliged to develop Minecraft for at least the PS Vita.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 11, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Breadallelogram posted:

and it looks like poo poo!!

It's probably going to be okay since it's Telltale, but lol at how it looks like a typical serious and dark Telltale game with the goofy and bright badgraphics programmer art from Minecraft.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Telltale has far more non-serious games in its back catalog than the opposite.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

raditts posted:

Telltale has far more non-serious games in its back catalog than the opposite.

Lately they've been pretty dark and serious though, and Minecraft Story Mode looks similar in tone from the trailer.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The not-minecraft on the Wii U seems to be selling pretty well, and it's not like it's missing anything from not being the official semi-made thing.

It's kind of garbage though. There is another Minecraft clone coming that also looks to be garbage. I wish they'd just put the real thing on there. But I mean, I have it for my PC, tablet, and PS4, so I guess it's a little redundant at this point. I would still buy it though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's also a Dragon Quest Minecraft

And redundant of redundancies, there's a Lego Mincecraft Videogame coming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Target has the 32GB console with Mario Kart and both DLC packs for $260: http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-wii-u-mario-kart-8-deluxe-set-bundle/-/A-49159049#prodSlot=_1_1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Miiverse policed at all? My kids have been playing New Super Mario U and it seems like 90% of the posts that pop up on the map / when you die are some combination of "gently caress BOWSER" and pictures of dicks.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

raditts posted:

Is Miiverse policed at all? My kids have been playing New Super Mario U and it seems like 90% of the posts that pop up on the map / when you die are some combination of "gently caress BOWSER" and pictures of dicks.

owned

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

It used to be. I think Nintendo just gave up when that Miiverse Smash stage came out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

raditts posted:

Tell them to deal with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It was notoriously heavily policed when the Wii U first came out. But I wonder if the games entries are divided up on their end like they are to us so that the popularity of a game might effect things. So maybe New Super Mario Bros. U is at a midpoint where it's of course played a lot because it's Mario but just under the threshold where they care a lot.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

That's really interesting because in my experience Miiverse has been pretty pleasant and well maintained.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe the recent Miiverse changes broke something on their end that's letting a lot of unfiltered messages through, I dunno.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp is looks like NIS isn't making anything else for the Wii-U. They had some stuff on the Wii, but they're officially no longer bringing stuff to non-playstation consoles, Rhodea is it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NIS =/= NISA

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's also a Dragon Quest Minecraft

And redundant of redundancies, there's a Lego Mincecraft Videogame coming.

We're almost there.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We're almost there.

Minecraft legos makes perfect sense, but what the gently caress is the point of "Lego Minecraft?" A lego skin in the minecraft engine?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nah, it's Lego company making their own Minecraft-like game since Legos and building stuff make sense together, plus putting actual gameplay features might make people migrate to it in their minds.

Same with the dragonquest version.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

They're run in the same way Atlus is.

But all this could mean is that they have stuff going to the NX. Then again, the Wii-U didn't even get the Magnum Opus that is Disgaea 5 nor did the 3ds.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 12, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't mean anything because NIS never even pretended to give a gently caress about Nintendo and because NISA will publish any old crap from anyone, so NIS' output or lack thereof doesn't really have any bearing on what they might feasibly publish. Also, NIS' output is 100% trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't mean anything because NIS never even pretended to give a gently caress about Nintendo and because NISA will publish any old crap from anyone, so NIS' output or lack thereof doesn't really have any bearing on what they might feasibly publish. Also, NIS' output is 100% trash.

I dunno Disgaea 5 isn't trash and neither were any of the previous ones(except 3). And there was also a few other ones like Phantom brave which were good.

Most of the stuff they published from Idea Factory and Gust was trash though.

• Locked thread