Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I had better luck with wax worms as treats, especially if I squished them and rubbed the guts on their noses a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Desert Bus posted:

Find a big ripe strawberry and take pics as he eats it? Get some chicken wire and stakes and dig a trench about a foot down to make an outside enclosure so he can hang out in the sun? Build a turtle table if you're feeling ambitious? It's been years since I had my WC Eastern Box Turtles, but they are pretty easy from what little I remember. Guessing your guy is probably similar but might need more water or higher humidity.

It's way to cold here for him (her?). But i'll be making an outdoor pen next year for the little dude. Right now Bernie is in a 100 gallon stock tank. I took the small cork barks out so there is more just-dirt space.

Bernie lookin' way fancier and a bit more hydrated today after choosing to spend all night in the water dish.

Tomorrow we are going to the vet for an exam/sexing/poo sample and I'll hopefully know more about Bernie then. Btw my exotics vet is awesome and has regular hours on the weekend. goddamn i love my vet.

Also! Bernie ate some earthworms. Good Bernie!

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 4, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

PezMaster posted:

I know he doesn't need to eat crickets because he's on Pangea, but it would be a nice treat every now and again for the sake of variety - any advice?

Some CGD Geckos are just dumb and never figure out how those strange bug things work. My Crested quickly figured out what roaches were and how delicious they are. Gargoyle has never figured them out. Doesn't matter what kind of bug I try. .Doesn't matter how much I smoosh it in his face. Has never clicked that it is food to be eaten.

Did anybody else switch from Repashy to Pangea as well? I was running out of 3.0,so I got Pangea's Watermelon Mango. Holy poo poo do they seem to enjoy it so much more than 3.0. 3.0 they'd sorta begrudgingly eat a little food. The Watermelon Mango cup is almost always empty the next morning.

Buttercup has figured out the sound/time of me waking up. So when I get up, he gets up and immediately starts staring at me for food/play time. Talk about food driven. No more huff. No more puff. No more bitey. Well except for trying to eat my hand instead of whatever food happens to be in my hand. But I have clearly been linked in his head as the bringer of good things and therefore he tolerates my presence.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 4, 2015

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Boring bearded dragon substrate opinion-gathering excercise:

Most of what I would consider reputable sources (books, the reptile magazine I'm subscribed to, the RSPCA, a lot of websites in general) seem to think that certain types of loose substrate are OK. Certain other sources however (Reddit, tumblr...) seem very loud, if not unanimous, in saying that *all* loose substrates are a ticking eye abcess/impaction death timebomb.

My beardy wants to dig though, a lot. She is always scratting about in her hides scraping away and trying to tunnel and I feel kinda bad that there is nowhere to go and I'm thinking that the risk is way overblown in comparison to the boredom of keeping them on paper towels or tiles with nothing to dig in. The tray of alfalfa pellets does not really seem that appealing either. She is 6 months old so I don't think it's a gravid thing.

The reptile shop I got her from said that tiles are crappy because they can't grip them very well, agreed that sand is awful and sold me a clay based soil substrate called Lucky Reptile Desert Bedding which has been fine so far though I haven't given her enough to dig in. I'm considering getting Zoo Med Excavator Clay as well because it says you can kinda landscape it and i'd love her to be able to dig and tunnel around her own hides.

Opinions? Another reptile forum I asked suggested a bio-active setup but her poop smells like the reincarnation of Satans rear end in a top hat and I'm not letting that stuff linger in there a moment longer than necessary.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Ireland Sucks posted:

Opinions? Another reptile forum I asked suggested a bio-active setup but her poop smells like the reincarnation of Satans rear end in a top hat and I'm not letting that stuff linger in there a moment longer than necessary.

Sand is the devil. Excavator Clay is super rad (and messy to set up, but Fun Messy), I use it for my leos. There is no loose part after it sets and it takes about two days to dry. Tiles are simple and super easy to clean, but you want to get the textured kind, not the shiny ones. Imo regular ol' dirt is cool. I like dirt. Not everyone does. I'm not quite sure what that Desert Bedding stuff is like.

Also: Bernie got a clean bill of health (pending fecal test results) from my vet and he is a Bernard! He hasn't eaten anything but worms for me yet but I'll make him an omelette tomorrow, make bug slurry, and buy a bit of every green the grocery store has, mushrooms, and hopefully I'll get a good response from something. Just eating worms is a good sign though, worms are good. I wish it was possible to return Bernie to the wild but with no idea of where he came from it's just not possible. Gotta make captivity as good as I can for the little guy.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 5, 2015

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Mocking Bird posted:

I had better luck with wax worms as treats, especially if I squished them and rubbed the guts on their noses a little.

Squishing guts was a good tip! Nacho munched on one last night. But was not into the live stuff at all. Wax worms will be tried next round.

Cless Alvein posted:

Some CGD Geckos are just dumb and never figure out how those strange bug things work. My Crested quickly figured out what roaches were and how delicious they are. Gargoyle has never figured them out. Doesn't matter what kind of bug I try. .Doesn't matter how much I smoosh it in his face. Has never clicked that it is food to be eaten.

Did anybody else switch from Repashy to Pangea as well? I was running out of 3.0,so I got Pangea's Watermelon Mango. Holy poo poo do they seem to enjoy it so much more than 3.0. 3.0 they'd sorta begrudgingly eat a little food. The Watermelon Mango cup is almost always empty the next morning.

Yeah, I'm thinking Nacho is one of those geckos who forgot how to gecko.

I also switched him on to Pangea from the Repashy that the rescue was feeding him in hopes of him gaining a few extra grams. His been mowing down his Banana Papaya stuff pretty good. I'm also really excited to try out that new formula with insect protein. A lot of breeders and owners have been giving it glowing reviews.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Despite my best tries we ended up with another snake after the Tucson herp show.

Good news, another ball python. A male dragonfly.

Better news, after we dropped down the $120 on him, three other people came over to buy him.

Bad news, I didn't know someone was selling mice there (seriously there was only ONE table that had live ones) and I would have bought 50 had I loving known. Instead my mom told me when we were an hour from the show. gently caress.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Any KSB keepers here know about the growth rate? I purchased one about 2 years ago that was approximately 7-8", which hasn't grown since then whatsoever. He (since they're sexually dimorphic I assume one so small would be a male) Eats about once every 3-4 weeks (I offer food every two, he generally tends to skip meals), has a healthy weight on him, non aggressive. I ask because literally every adult KSB picture I see online even for males is much larger. I'm totally cool with having a small adult Kenyan, I just want to make sure it's not like, unhealthy small.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Bernie likes the 50/50 Reptilinks! Thank loving goodness, he hasn't eaten anything but worms for me so far.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Little_Viking posted:

Any KSB keepers here know about the growth rate? I purchased one about 2 years ago that was approximately 7-8", which hasn't grown since then whatsoever. He (since they're sexually dimorphic I assume one so small would be a male) Eats about once every 3-4 weeks (I offer food every two, he generally tends to skip meals), has a healthy weight on him, non aggressive. I ask because literally every adult KSB picture I see online even for males is much larger. I'm totally cool with having a small adult Kenyan, I just want to make sure it's not like, unhealthy small.

My boy is almost a foot and I've had him for almost seven years. I had an albino male who was very eager to make me het babies (but was always a snappy fucker) who was maybe six inches when he was four years old. YMMV.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
I have a western hognose. He gets stuck doing dumb things a lot, because he's my son and I'm dumb. Welcome to October, Orson.

BarqueCat
Oct 1, 2001

A Scary Little Dog posted:

I have a western hognose. He gets stuck doing dumb things a lot, because he's my son and I'm dumb. Welcome to October, Orson.

Holy crap there is a lot of cute going on there. Good looking son.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

A Scary Little Dog posted:

This is a good photoshoot!

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Aw, thanks guys! The photo quality is abysmal but yeah he is super cute. Hognoses are the best for that.

Also he lives in a castle (on the warm side of his cage) and thinks he's a pretty ferocious dragon.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Hey I'm at Tinley. Lemme know if you want to meet up. Or just say hi. I'm 5'11" wearing flannel and have rainbow colored hair. Not the hardest to spot. ;)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

Hey I'm at Tinley. Lemme know if you want to meet up. Or just say hi. I'm 7'11" wearing flannel and have rainbow colored hair. Not the hardest to spot. ;)

ftfy

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'll be there at some point. Hoping to get there by Noon for the Uromastyx presentation, but I typically never drive that far south so not quite sure how long it'll take me to get there.

I'd say look for a hobo with an 4 month long fancy beard, but 4 months is about when I stop enjoying the beard and instead get annoyed by it. So now I am generic white guy.

Still don't really plan on getting everything, but I have an inkling I might come home with a female Tokay or Western Hognose.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Omg, so many cool snakes and stuff at this convention!!!

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
It was a pretty fun day. Sadly I didn't run into you Silver and I was on the lookout. It would have helped since it turns out as an Illinois resident I cannot buy a Western Hognose without a permit. :( Most of the vendors I talked to had no idea that was the case and thought it was dumb, but they're an endangered species in Illinois apparently. There was this pretty red hog I wanted and was ready to buy but he had to turn me down since I didn't have a DNR permit. Looking over the requirements had there be a vendor there from Illinois with a permit, I could have bought one from them and retroactively applied for my own permit, but all the hoggie sellers were from out of state. So guess I will email see what I need to get to get a permit for the next show.

Instead I came home with a pretty female Tokay for my boy. She still has some growing to do in a temp tub set up I'm working on. I didn't mean to,but I also came home with a Female Spider Het Pied Ball Python. She was cute and only $75 so I'm working on figuring out where to put her.

Also neat that I got to meet Brian from BHB Reptiles/SnakeBytes and Meghan Kelley.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 11, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Someone just dropped 10k on a pair of leopard geckos at the auction. Lemon blast, new morph. Highlighter yellow.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
Man I need to get some good recent photos of my snakes.

Also, I stopped by my favorite pet store yesterday (I know what you're thinking, but this is a very good local pet store that usually uses very good reputable breeders - I've been going there since I was a little girl, and I got my first king there a few years ago). I just wanted to see what new snakes they had, as usual, but ALL of the snake tanks were gone. Turns out they've had an outbreak of IBD and all their pythons/possibly all their snakes got it. I'm really floored; my family and I have gotten tons of reptiles from them over a period of 15+ years, and the owner is a very well-known and respected reptile man in this area. So the moral of the story is either "you can never ever trust any pet store, no matter what," or "happens to the best of us." Thoughts?

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on getting another snake from them. I only go through breeders these days anyway. Still, it was a bit of a shock.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Nacho Cheese says Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! :canada:

(pie is made out of Pangea, pumpkin, papaya, calcium plus, and a bit of non-fat/non-gelatin/non-flavoured/no sugar yogurt)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Guava posted:

Man I need to get some good recent photos of my snakes.

Also, I stopped by my favorite pet store yesterday (I know what you're thinking, but this is a very good local pet store that usually uses very good reputable breeders - I've been going there since I was a little girl, and I got my first king there a few years ago). I just wanted to see what new snakes they had, as usual, but ALL of the snake tanks were gone. Turns out they've had an outbreak of IBD and all their pythons/possibly all their snakes got it. I'm really floored; my family and I have gotten tons of reptiles from them over a period of 15+ years, and the owner is a very well-known and respected reptile man in this area. So the moral of the story is either "you can never ever trust any pet store, no matter what," or "happens to the best of us." Thoughts?

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on getting another snake from them. I only go through breeders these days anyway. Still, it was a bit of a shock.

poo poo happens is the moral. It doesn't matter how careful you are.

PezMaster posted:

(pie is made out of Pangea, pumpkin, papaya, calcium plus, and a bit of non-fat/non-gelatin/non-flavoured/no sugar yogurt)

I'm torn between going "this is really stupid" and "you literally made your gecko a pie so he could be included instead of just going and getting him an extra cricket?" because man that's efforts. So like, well done on effort but :pwn:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm torn between going "this is really stupid" and "you literally made your gecko a pie so he could be included instead of just going and getting him an extra cricket?" because man that's efforts. So like, well done on effort but :pwn:

He has not taken crickets yet :(

Mushing up everything really wasn't that much effort, really. It was all done for our local rescue to show that A) Reptiles can be cute and not scary/slimey and B) There are a lot of older friends that need their forever homes :)

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 11, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

PezMaster posted:

I can't hate this, no matter how I try.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
It is seriously the cutest thing that I would never put the effort into doing for any herp. Maybe not even a dog.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The most effort I go through for the Herps is making food for the BTS and after a month and a half I've already mostly given up on that since they don't really need it and just feed whatever I feel like that day be it dog food, roaches, cat food or other random stuff I have in the fridge. For the most part, if I would feed it to the dog, it is probably fair game for the BTS too.

Dogwise the most I did was her first birthday after I adopted her and I went to the trouble of crafting a McGangbang for her, that is about the /effort I can muster.

I am a bit annoyed at myself cuz I walked by their table like 4 times, but I forgot to buy Heat Tape/connectors from Reptile Basics and now I gotta order it online and pay shipping. :(

New Female Tokay is pretty awesome and pissy. Lots of cute barking and a few bloody wounds for me.

My sister saw the Spider Ball I bought and wanted to buy it off me until I took her out today and you know being stressed and all she actually struck at me. Didn't draw blood but there are teeny tiny fang marks on my thumb. She likes reptiles,but gets all freaked out about them biting her even though it isn't exactly a normal thing and is just the stress response.

She also refused to get near Bubba the Gator who was super awesome.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 12, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Good on that store for clearing out their snakes and not continuing to sell. but IBD ughhhh :/

Also, I thought it was weird how absolutely filthy disgusting those cages BHB was trying to sell were. At least give 'em a hose down first. O.o Like, I get that they have a lot of animals but there should never be that much caked on poo poo inside of a bin. And what the heck was the orange sticky looking stuff on the sides? Weird.

Bubba rules. <3

I went falconing this morning with the some of the retic guys. It was amazing, only way to describe it.

I just got back home, so here are lovely pictures of what I bought:

Female Solomon Island Ground Boa

Male Solomon Island Ground Boa

Male Angolan Python

Normal (???? ikr) BCI I fell in love with. Look at how pink and crisp and wonderful she is!!!!

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2015

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Spent a while reading this thread as in the past two years I've gone from never even seeing a snake up close to owning three of the drat things courtesy of my partner. She brought a 19 year old Cali Kingsnake with her when she moved in, which is hands down the sweetest creature I've ever known, and then she got a loving horrible little garter snake, and I finally decided the other week that I wanted one of my own so I'm getting to know this little amelanistic corn snake who is fairly friendly and ate for the first time last night.

I also got me a baby bearded dragon recently who is the reason I'm here kinda, he's fairly chill, will run back to his viv most times if we have him out during the day but at night he'll fall asleep on you and all that adorable poo poo and oh god I love him. Just wondering if feeding them locusts is ok, we have load of them on hand cos we have pacman frogs and an incredibly evil agama. He seems happy with them but every site I read says to feed them crickets. Didn't wanna keep crickets if we don't have to cos of the smell, but I can deal. Otherwise he goes mad for any kind of veg or fruit we give him which is a relief cos I've heard they can be funny about it. Little guy stalks the veg like he would bugs, it's adorable

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

happyflurple posted:

Spent a while reading this thread as in the past two years I've gone from never even seeing a snake up close to owning three of the drat things courtesy of my partner. She brought a 19 year old Cali Kingsnake with her when she moved in, which is hands down the sweetest creature I've ever known, and then she got a loving horrible little garter snake, and I finally decided the other week that I wanted one of my own so I'm getting to know this little amelanistic corn snake who is fairly friendly and ate for the first time last night.

I also got me a baby bearded dragon recently who is the reason I'm here kinda, he's fairly chill, will run back to his viv most times if we have him out during the day but at night he'll fall asleep on you and all that adorable poo poo and oh god I love him. Just wondering if feeding them locusts is ok, we have load of them on hand cos we have pacman frogs and an incredibly evil agama. He seems happy with them but every site I read says to feed them crickets. Didn't wanna keep crickets if we don't have to cos of the smell, but I can deal. Otherwise he goes mad for any kind of veg or fruit we give him which is a relief cos I've heard they can be funny about it. Little guy stalks the veg like he would bugs, it's adorable

As long as the length of the locusts is less or equal to the length of the space between the dragon's eyes, I would say it's far better than crickets. You won't have to feed as many, and they're much better nutritionally. As far as I am aware, there's not a risk of impaction from eating too many of them, either. I would try your best to put in a variety of food anyway, though. A lot of beardies that eat too many locusts tend to become fussy eaters, especially towards crickets.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

PezMaster posted:

This is so adorable :kimchi:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

As long as the length of the locusts is less or equal to the length of the space between the dragon's eyes, I would say it's far better than crickets. You won't have to feed as many, and they're much better nutritionally. As far as I am aware, there's not a risk of impaction from eating too many of them, either. I would try your best to put in a variety of food anyway, though. A lot of beardies that eat too many locusts tend to become fussy eaters, especially towards crickets.

Cheers, that suits me fine then. The store we get stuff from has loads of insects and will order in specially so will have a look next time we're there to see what else we can give him to vary it up a bit

Meant to be getting a Hognose soon, think he's pretty chill too, partner has had him years but he's at her mum's currently as we've never had space in the car when visiting.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Just pulled the carpet in my snake room and re-arranged all the cages to make room for my new rack (should be here in a couple of weeks). gently caress, that was tiring. Also labeled all of my wiring and re-taped the heat pads with better tape.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 13, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Had another successful snake feeding last night. :toot: We had to take him out of his hide a few times last week for habitat cleaning and maintenance, but it doesn't seem to have discomfited him any. As before, things got off to a bit of a rocky start; he got the rat by the shoulder and spent a while gnawing on it and turning it around trying to find the head before losing interest. I heated it back up and offered it again and this time he nailed it.

He always seems a bit more perky after feeding. This morning he was half out of the hide, resting on the log and watching me. :3:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It's a fine day to be a turtle.

ps BERN IT DOWN

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\#feelthebern

ToxicFrog posted:

Had another successful snake feeding last night. :toot: We had to take him out of his hide a few times last week for habitat cleaning and maintenance, but it doesn't seem to have discomfited him any. As before, things got off to a bit of a rocky start; he got the rat by the shoulder and spent a while gnawing on it and turning it around trying to find the head before losing interest. I heated it back up and offered it again and this time he nailed it.

He always seems a bit more perky after feeding. This morning he was half out of the hide, resting on the log and watching me. :3:

Two weeks ago, Spaghetti ate two pinkies. Last Sunday, I plopped two more down in his tank ontop of his rock hide, put Spaghetti back in his tank right next to the pinkies, only for him to slither away under his rock. He came out, explored his tank, tongue flicking everywhere, looking for those mice, but after about an hour of intermittent hiding/searching, I finally took pity and moved the pinkies down in front of his rock. He immediately came out and ate one, dragging it back under the rock. He then came out and... crawled past the second one. Did a couple laps and went back into his hide. I left the pinky in there overnight, but he never ate it. I'm curious to see if he'll eat two of them this week.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Pringle the wee corn snake poo poo for the first time last night, had no idea I could be so delighted and repulsed by something at the same time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Two weeks ago, Spaghetti ate two pinkies. Last Sunday, I plopped two more down in his tank ontop of his rock hide, put Spaghetti back in his tank right next to the pinkies, only for him to slither away under his rock. He came out, explored his tank, tongue flicking everywhere, looking for those mice, but after about an hour of intermittent hiding/searching, I finally took pity and moved the pinkies down in front of his rock. He immediately came out and ate one, dragging it back under the rock. He then came out and... crawled past the second one. Did a couple laps and went back into his hide. I left the pinky in there overnight, but he never ate it. I'm curious to see if he'll eat two of them this week.

The first time I went to feed him, I plopped the rat down near his hide, and he shot out and then spent a while looking for it without success. Struck at the air in front of the RHP a few times, though.

I took the rat out, warmed it back up, and dangled it in front of him by the tail using tongs and he got it first try. I didn't even see him move -- one moment, snake staring at levitating rat, next moment, snakeball with rat tail sticking out of it and the tongs are empty. It's amazing how fast they can move.

I guess he's more used to feeding on hover-rats than the ground-dwelling kind, being captive bred and then a pet snake for seven years?

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

PezMaster posted:

I'm crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Does anyone else have a critter that greets them in the morning?

I mean, I know he's not really greeting me, he's probably just seeing the light come on and "hearing" me stomp around angrily at 6:30am to get ready for work. But without fail my hognose will slither his front half out of his hide and right up to the side of his tub to observe things, always sometime between when I get a shower and when I leave. He'll sometimes do this when I get home, but not always.

I doubt it means anything but it's adorable as poo poo. :colbert: