Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Life is Strange probably benefits from being its own thing and not having to fit into another licensed universe like Telltale's games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Accordion Man posted:

I've only watched streams of it, but its surprisingly solid.

Cool, I like the series(s).

wyoming posted:

Oh wow there's a TellTale Law & Order game?
Is Ice-T in it? :allears:

Yeah it's on sale on steam right now (along with other telltale games).

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

sout posted:

Life is Strange probably benefits from being its own thing and not having to fit into another licensed universe like Telltale's games

It also benefits from having much larger environments and 1000 more things to interact and play with. Telltale games have gotten remarkably barebones since Walking Dead S1 and I think Life i Strange makes their engine/design look like amateur hour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also LIS might not look amazing but the animation and general look is way ahead of whatever grease smeared engine TT uses.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Also LIS might not look amazing but the animation and general look is way ahead of whatever grease smeared engine TT uses.

The animation is all mocap stuff, which is why it looks so natural. Unfortunately it's badly let down the by the complete lack of lip syncing technology. I learned to live with it, because everything else about the game is so great, but I still kind of try to look away from the characters' mouths. Otherwise it's just so cringe-worthy.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Remember Me was absolutely gorgeous looking, and a remastered version with a more complete story and better combat would be amazing. I would love to return to that world.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

BobTheJanitor posted:

The animation is all mocap stuff, which is why it looks so natural. Unfortunately it's badly let down the by the complete lack of lip syncing technology. I learned to live with it, because everything else about the game is so great, but I still kind of try to look away from the characters' mouths. Otherwise it's just so cringe-worthy.

This is my primary issue with the game, the lip syncing is so bad it makes me think that they lipsynced the characters to the french dub and then never bothered to change it back afterwards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never even once noticed the lip-synching :shrug:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ive played the game 3 times and the lip syncing is bad, no matter what episode I play.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I dunno, I thought it was fine, or at least drastically improved in Episode 4.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

sout posted:

Yeah Walking Dead Season 2 got ruined by a certain character not being able to be too old because it had to fight in it's universe's timeline.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah Walking Dead Season 2 got ruined by a certain character not being able to be too old because it had to fight in it's universe's timeline.

Honestly I'm kinda done with Telltale Games after Season 2 and GoT, I might get Borderlands since its on sale and people are saying good things, but honestly I'll wait till the seasons are over before even thinking about touching another one of their games, and if Season 3 of Walking Dead is Clem again then i'll probably just never get it, she was the worst

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I thought the first season of The Walking Dead was pretty good but the second was a slog. Other than that, The Wolf Among Us was pretty good, but Tales From The Borderlands is the best thing they have done (at least with these kinds of games), and is really funny.

It's a shame they're now 100% into their interactive picture book games as their puzzle games were great. I really liked Puzzle Agent (which is really easy but that's OK) and SBCG4AP is excellent if you like the Homestar Runner universe. I also rate the Back To The Future game pretty highly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I enjoyed their Monkey Island game too.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Regarding Lip Sync in this game:

Sometime while I was playing the first episode, the game hitched up while a conversation was going on, and it took forever to load the next line of dialogue. While it was loading it, Max just kept moving her mouth waay longer than she would be for that particular line, and only stopped when the audio loaded in and finished.

I think there really isn't any specific lip sync in this game, I think they are just programmed to talk like a puppet whenever their audio plays, which probably makes animating it way easier.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Tales is good and worth playing. But aside from that, I am similarly on the TT not so great at this point, and no more buying at release.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I've said this in one of these threads before... but I don't think it was this one so welp :v:

In my own personal game ranking competition it's really going to come down to an Episode 5 "Don't gently caress Up The Ending"-off between Life is Strange and Tales From the Borderlands... and I highly suspect they're both going to win. Borderlands for hilarity and LiS for drama/wtf moments.

Episode 5 needs to hurry up. Any episode 5. Release, drat you.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Karnegal posted:

It cannot be stated enough how garbage GoT is.

The only TT game ive started and not finished. And really dont care how it turned out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna finish GoT just for the easy plat and because I've gotten this far already, but I long ago gave up on playing the game properly rather than just choosing whatever option was going gently caress things up even worse.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Talorat posted:

This is my primary issue with the game, the lip syncing is so bad it makes me think that they lipsynced the characters to the french dub and then never bothered to change it back afterwards.

Nah, they don't even have that excuse, since there is no French audio -- it's only English and (forthcoming) Japanese. The syncing is just that bad.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Varam posted:

Nah, they don't even have that excuse, since there is no French audio -- it's only English and (forthcoming) Japanese. The syncing is just that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAVQmbNbBs

So they are. I wonder if that'll be available as a free DLC like Witcher 3 did, my wife'd appreciate it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PunkBoy posted:

Remember Me was absolutely gorgeous looking, and a remastered version with a more complete story and better combat would be amazing. I would love to return to that world.

The problem with the story is you'd need to bulldoze the entire game and start from scratch, because it really reads like there was a rough page-long draft that got stretched out to eight hours. Especially to make room for a lot more Memory Remixing and actually doing something with the character who gets set up as a vitally-important ally and then only appears at the very end to drop you off at the start of the final level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm sad that so many LP'ers and people dropped Tales from the Borderlands for the lovely GoT game solely because it's based on the flavor of the moment book/show. Like I'm glad I never even thought of giving them money for it, considering the LP dudes I watch pretty much verified what I expected it'd be, just a series of scenes of edgy poo poo and kicking sand in your eyes for an hour or so a piece.

Though if/when they get around to The Wolf Among Us 2.0 I'll probly buy that :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 12, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna finish GoT just for the easy plat and because I've gotten this far already, but I long ago gave up on playing the game properly rather than just choosing whatever option was going gently caress things up even worse.
I just want to see how glorious of a trainwreck the ending will be, because there is absolutely zero chance it won't be stupid as poo poo.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

shmee posted:

So they are. I wonder if that'll be available as a free DLC like Witcher 3 did, my wife'd appreciate it.

I didn't even know this was happening. That's amazing. I hope Jefferson-senpai notices me. *doki doki* :nyoron:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It makes sense. Twin Peaks was massive in Japan.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I for one can't wait until the 20th for the release of the announcement that they couldn't meet the target date and we all have to wait another two weeks

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

shmee posted:

Now the Japanese will be confused about our school system just like we are with theirs!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Codependent Poster posted:

Now the Japanese will be confused about our school system just like we are with theirs!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

heres my question about japanese schooling: do they all have that same design where theres a hallway next to a wall of windows and then all the classrooms are on the same side of the building

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

morallyobjected posted:

I for one can't wait until the 20th for the release of the announcement that they couldn't meet the target date and we all have to wait another two weeks

With the other episodes they've released a trailer exactly one week prior to it coming out on Steam. It's Tuesday and we haven't gotten an Ep. 5 trailer :ohdear:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

epitasis posted:

heres my question about japanese schooling: do they all have that same design where theres a hallway next to a wall of windows and then all the classrooms are on the same side of the building

A lot of their schools were built when their government was very utilitarian so they kind of resemble Soviet bloc structures and yes, many of them do have the exact same layout since they were built around the same time period.

As for how much they understand our school system, the school in Silent Hill seems to be modeled after the one in Kindergarten Cop.

EDIT: /\ It's possible they won't release an episode 5 trailer to avoid spoilers.

EDIT2: \/ Weird, it works here.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mokinokaro posted:

A lot of their schools were built when their government was very utilitarian so they kind of resemble Soviet bloc structures and yes, many of them do have the exact same layout since they were built around the same time period.

As for how much they understand our school system, the school in Silent Hill seems to be modeled after the one in Kindergarten Cop.

EDIT: /\ It's possible they won't release an episode 5 trailer to avoid spoilers.

Your link is broken, so I got this one.

http://www.destructoid.com/silent-hill-based-on-kindergarten-cop-confirmed--219513.phtml

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Also in Japanese Schools I understand it is a law you have to show up with toast in your mouth if you are late

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Found this link on the Life is Strange twitter. Oct. 13, "Storm hits in 7 days."

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for the final episode.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

With the other episodes they've released a trailer exactly one week prior to it coming out on Steam. It's Tuesday and we haven't gotten an Ep. 5 trailer :ohdear:

They released a trailer it was just footage from Ep4 and referencing the storm their playing ep 5 close to the chest. Apparently something more substantial is supposed to drop tomorrow.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 14, 2015

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Torgo2727 posted:

Found this link on the Life is Strange twitter. Oct. 13, "Storm hits in 7 days."

They've been doing regular countdown to the 20th reminders on Twitter, something that shows they have confidence in the date. One more week people!

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really worried about the ending and it overshadowing the first four episodes if it's perceived as lovely. This was such a good game and I don't know how they can gently caress up the ending, but I'm worried they will.

I've been burned by too many bad ending games :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Also in Japanese Schools I understand it is a law you have to show up with toast in your mouth if you are late

Only if there's a new transfer student starting.

• Locked thread