Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Asking about which crafting skills/classes to focus on in the early game is like asking which healing skills/classes you should focus on while leveling your LNC/DRG. Ignore crafting until you hit 50 or at least get to a point (after Titan) that you feel bored with combat/healing. As far as which classes, the common answer of "all of them" is correct - asking for a single crafting class is like asking which single ingredient you should buy to make a stew. As far as sites, xivdb usually has the cleanest interface, but just googling the name of an item along with "ffxiv" works well enough. The game assumes 0 prior knowledge, so you're fine starting from the new beginning - there might be some references you would otherwise miss, but you won't feel lost at all once you get the general map of the continent in your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

On3moresoul posted:

I just grabbed the trial here and had a friend from work also send me a recruit a friend invite when that ends and I pick it up. I generally go the DPS route as in other games that is more forgiving of mistakes for the party, so I have selected Lancer with hopes of some day being a Dragoon. Any advice for a first time player? Specific crafting skills to start early on? Any go to resource for item databases, etc.? Also, since I am starting out for the first time and a realm reborn has already occurred am I missing out on the story that occurred from 1.0 to 2.0 or will the game catch me up?

ARR is the beginning for all intents and purposes, the game assumes you didn't play and don't know anything about version 1.0
If you're coming from WoW or other mmo where you want to level a crafting/gathering class as you level, it's not really like that here. I mean you definitely can but there's no advantage to trying to make your own armor or whatever while leveling, quest rewards and NPC vendors will do you just fine.

The game also treats you like you've never played an MMO ever before so it'll teach you a lot of stuff while you go along.

Are you on Excalibur? Goons will hook you up with gear and poo poo too, it's very awesome.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The big thing when coming from other games is that outside of a few endgame things like weekly limited currencies, you can (and, generally, should) do everything - that you want to do in the first place - on one character. All combat jobs, all crafts, etc. This isn't a "roll an alt to try something different" game so much as a "switch to a new job to try something different" game.

Crafting and gathering: unlike many other MMOs, these are not needed to keep yourself financially solvent, and are more of a game (and money sink) unto themselves. If you want to check them out to see if you like them for their own sake, cool, but don't go into it with expectations of "oh I'll just do this on the side to make my own gear", as it's a lot more involved than that and you'll have gear flying at you from various directions anyway.

Item databases: xivdb.com is one, garlandtools.org is another.

Story: you will be getting all the story whether you like it or not. The current endgame content isn't going anywhere, and there's no real need to rush to get there. But you only get to enjoy the story once (per character), so take it slowly and actually watch the cutscenes. Many (but, for some inane reason, not anywhere near all of them) can be replayed in an inn room if you skipped them, but it's better to just watch them in context in the first place. When you get to a pair of dungeons named "Castrum Meridianum" and "Praetorium" at level 50, grab a bunch of friendly goons who will let you watch the cutscenes. (These are the only dungeons that have multiple substantial cutscenes inside them. They learned their lesson from that.)

On combat jobs lower level than your highest (so if your highest job is a level 29 lancer, then this applies to any combat jobs level 1 to 28), you get an experience bonus to most sources of exp. +100% up to level 50 and +50% from 50 to 60. This notably does not include sidequests, so those are at their most beneficial on whatever job you level first (which, logically, will not be getting these bonuses for being lower level than your highest, because it is the highest).

lovely little starter sidequests for the towns you didn't start in, sure, save those for leveling another job, but anything else you might as well do on the first job you level, rather than saving them with starry-eyed expectations of going back and doing them on other jobs (on other jobs you'll level much faster by running fates and dungeons). You'll be ahead of the experience curve for a while, but there are a few gaps in the main story quests where it's like "okay, now gain 3 levels and come back", and you'll be glad you were 3 levels ahead of the curve when you hit them.

(If you'd rather not sidequest too much in general, cool, but in that case look up a list of which sidequests unlock poo poo, because some of them do.)

Related: once you've finished your first two dungeons, you'll unlock a mechanic called "leveling roulette", which gives you a shitload (relative to your level) of experience once per day. Try to run one of these on most days.

Class/job quests (available every 5 levels) are top priority to do - they unlock new skills at 15, 30, every 5 levels after that to 50, and every 2 levels after that to 60. Next top priority is the main story quests, the ones with the special meteor quest icon, since they unlock nearly gently caress-all everything else in the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of job queats, it seems like every time I get Ravana for trial roulette, I get matched with another paladin and not once have I seen them use goring blade.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Brannock posted:

The game asks for too many goddamn confirmations before you actually do anything, mounting and interacting with stuff is a pain in the rear end (why can't you initiate levequests while mounted?).

Like what possible reason is there to require a confirmation to interact with the cloud altars in Neverreap? I have an egg and I've clicked on the altar, why ask me if I want to put an egg there? Why do I need a confirmation to enter doors? I'm at the door and I clicked on the door. There's your goddamn confirmation.

Why is the Walking Sands zone and the Solar zone in two different zones? Why do I need to physically hand over that weapons cache to he quests giver when the quest tracking can clearly indicate that I have them? What's up with those quests that send me 3 zones away to literally talk to someone for 2 seconds and then having to run back to the original quest giver? Why,

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is the Walking Sands zone and the Solar zone in two different zones? Why do I need to physically hand over that weapons cache to he quests giver when the quest tracking can clearly indicate that I have them? What's up with those quests that send me 3 zones away to literally talk to someone for 2 seconds and then having to run back to the original quest giver? Why,

Minfilia.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's up with those quests that send me 3 zones away to literally talk to someone for 2 seconds and then having to run back to the original quest giver? Why,

Linkpearl long distance is expensive

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

As far as which classes, the common answer of "all of them" is correct - asking for a single crafting class is like asking which single ingredient you should buy to make a stew.
So..... culinarian?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The waking sands and solar are instanced because there are a lot of quests and cutscenes in each and the story changes the look in each significantly. Rather than have potentially thousands of people in a tiny room when the game came out and everyone was leveling, they broke it up. Now it's not near as necessary, but it served a practical purpose in the past.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The waking sands and solar are instanced because there are a lot of quests and cutscenes in each and the story changes the look in each significantly. Rather than have potentially thousands of people in a tiny room when the game came out and everyone was leveling, they broke it up. Now it's not near as necessary, but it served a practical purpose in the past.

Yeah that's one of the things they did make it feel like you were THE (not just A) Warrior of Light. There might be a bunch of other players hanging out in the Waking Sands, but you're the only one who gets invited to Minfillia's office.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never seen anyone else in the Walking Sands portion of it though, so I assumed that part was instanced too which is why I don't understand why the Solar is a separate instance on top of that. Is that first area not instanced?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Martman posted:

So..... culinarian?

Mid-50s culinarian is perfectly fine on its own. All you need is yak milk and some grains that can be bought in Gridania and you'll be able to craft a ton of muffins. If you're a caster, Ishgardian tea is slightly more expensive to craft but still cheap.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I got a character into Excalibur! I can officially start leveling now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never seen anyone else in the Walking Sands portion of it though, so I assumed that part was instanced too which is why I don't understand why the Solar is a separate instance on top of that. Is that first area not instanced?

You don't ever see other people there because of things that happen later in the story it gets used significantly less. In early 2.x there were people there all the time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey so uh I just picked up this game's trial to find that Excalibur is full. How long does that tend to last? Should I just go ahead and roll a character on a different server or will it be up again soon enough that it makes sense to wait?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is 3 am EST too long? That's how long I had to wait.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

loquacius posted:

Hey so uh I just picked up this game's trial to find that Excalibur is full. How long does that tend to last? Should I just go ahead and roll a character on a different server or will it be up again soon enough that it makes sense to wait?

If you want to play on Excalibur, it's probably better waiting a little. There have apparently been open windows pretty regularly lately, but sunday afternoon is a busy time. If you make a character on another server and want to move to Excalibur, it costs $18 I think.

Not that there aren't plenty of other good servers, but Excalibur is where the big goon crowd is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You really should play on excalibur. It should be open for character creation tomorrow if it isn't right now.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Why, why do they lock you out of abilities when you're levelsynced.

The game's combat is already snooze-inducing pre-30 (or higher for some classes), and it sucks being synced below say 26 on LNC/DRG and having to go back to impulse drive spam because you're punished for doing the more mentally involved rotation of true thrust -> vorpal thrust. Which is another lovely thing!

Arg! I'm mad about MMOs!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So that people don't act like assholes to newbies who are actually that level (and don't have the abilities yet), shunning them in favor of higher-level folks who have the cool higher-level abilities to play with.

Much like scaling the gear and level down as if you were actually that level, it's to create a level playing field.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be nice if each job had a key ability they could retain if they got synced below 30. Scholars already get this with their fairy, but it would be great if astros could keep their cards, bards could sing, etc.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Vil posted:

So that people don't act like assholes to newbies who are actually that level (and don't have the abilities yet), shunning them in favor of higher-level folks who have the cool higher-level abilities to play with.

Much like scaling the gear and level down as if you were actually that level, it's to create a level playing field.

But it doens't do that because if you have a job crystal you'll still be significantly more powerful than a player without one, not to mention you'll be at the sync cap for the dungeon, and geared out in the equivalent of HQ gear of that sync cap's level - all of which make you much more powerful than someone actually that level. And also cross-class skills that aren't affected by syncing, such that a marauder can have provoke at earlier levels than the gladiator class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For those situations I wish they would just let us unequip the jobstone. Overpower spam is just so much nicer in sub 30 dungeons when you have invigorate to go with it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Blame sch and the 3 new jobs, all of those change party roles after removing the stone

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be nice if each job had a key ability they could retain if they got synced below 30. Scholars already get this with their fairy, but it would be great if astros could keep their cards, bards could sing, etc.

Every single Job Stone should come with a level 1 ability, and a few classes should have their L30 job ability adjusted.

PLD: Sword Oath -> Shield Oath
WHM: Presence of Mind -> Regen
DRK: Darkside -> Grit

And less important but if I had it my way:

MCH: Hot Shot -> Rook Autoturret

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you gotta ask why X or Y are like this when it could be so much more convenient or easier it's because the game was remade on a shoestring budget so all game systems couldn't have the extra polish you'd expect from, well, any modern MMO. Combine this with the Japanese notoriety for sloppy, hacked together code and you should adjust your expectations for User Experience appropriately downwards.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Eej posted:

If you gotta ask why X or Y are like this when it could be so much more convenient or easier it's because the game was remade on a shoestring budget so all game systems couldn't have the extra polish you'd expect from, well, any modern MMO. Combine this with the Japanese notoriety for sloppy, hacked together code and you should adjust your expectations for User Experience appropriately downwards.

Yeah I know, I'm used to it from FFXI, which they've improved miles from (they let RMT lock down an entire endgame region of 11 for over half a year because they didn't want to admit their game was able to be botted). It's just irritating that the game has so many nice things and then all these little niggles that just get under your skin that stop it from being really excellent.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

megalodong posted:

(they let RMT lock down an entire endgame region of 11 for over half a year because they didn't want to admit their game was able to be botted).

Was that Sky, Tanaka's tenth circle of hell?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

This isn't true at all though and the reason it is the way it is is so that you can go back to old dungeons and do them (a thing that is built in to the structure of the game for many people to want to do regularly so that the game never becomes deadgame as long as some people are playing) at the level and skill ability and with the balance intended for them at that level. Yeah it's frustrating to not have skills when you get thrown in Tam-Tara but not as frustrating as new players never being able to do dungeons because nobody wants to do a dungeon they can't steamroll like it's World of Warcraft or some bullshit (which is also boring as gently caress and ruins the game by itself.)

Your lack of perspective doesn't mean the game is coded bad.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Was that Sky, Tanaka's tenth circle of hell?

Yep.

For the longest time the RMT didn't know how to get in there because it involved a fair bit of doing missions, and was largely documented on wikis and other stuff they didn't know about. Then some NA player showed them how in exchange for some amount of $$$, and they proceeded to park an alliance of BLMs there 24/7, insta-claiming ullikummi every time he spawned.

SE passed this off as them simply "being players with more time to play" and refused to answer most questions about it, and then eventually made ulli a forced spawn.

Ullikummi was important because it dropped an item needed to spawn the next enemy up the chain, so without that item you were locked out of all the other bosses in the entire zone.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Eej posted:

Japanese notoriety for sloppy, hacked together code

What's that about?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

This isn't true at all though and the reason it is the way it is is so that you can go back to old dungeons and do them (a thing that is built in to the structure of the game for many people to want to do regularly so that the game never becomes deadgame as long as some people are playing) at the level and skill ability and with the balance intended for them at that level. Yeah it's frustrating to not have skills when you get thrown in Tam-Tara but not as frustrating as new players never being able to do dungeons because nobody wants to do a dungeon they can't steamroll like it's World of Warcraft or some bullshit (which is also boring as gently caress and ruins the game by itself.)

Your lack of perspective doesn't mean the game is coded bad.

Oh no I wasn't actually talking about level sync (I didn't even read those posts), just a more general thing including things like the Market Board UI. Or I guess the bonus stat problem with SCH/SMN or not being able to send tells in duties or chocobos being summoned preventing you from queueing into DF or starting leves or the limited way the glamour system works preventing you from having separate glamours for different classes that use the same gear etc.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only change that needs to happen in the game is improving the way skirts look while on mounts. My pretty princess dress clips through the body of my chocobo and that's unforgivable.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the only fix i need right now is nOT BNEING ABLE TO DYE THE COMPANY ESCHUCHUCHUCHUTAN SHIELD AT ALL

gently caress

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Niton posted:

DRK: Darkside -> Grit

Darkside and Grit are both level 30.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ActionZero posted:

Darkside and Grit are both level 30.

Grit is a level 30 "Base" skill, though; Darkside is what you get for your level 30 Job quest. If you were to make the level 30 Job quest skills available at all levels, you'd still need to switch which skill the quest gives.

I may have done a Haukke right after unlocking DRK without knowing there was another quest that gave an ability

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

kafziel posted:

If you want to play on Excalibur, it's probably better waiting a little. There have apparently been open windows pretty regularly lately, but sunday afternoon is a busy time. If you make a character on another server and want to move to Excalibur, it costs $18 I think.

Not that there aren't plenty of other good servers, but Excalibur is where the big goon crowd is.

Not a great first impression. If we're talking about bad engineering practices this seems like a pretty major one, honestly. You don't want to start hitting people with limitations like this, with no apparent indication of when the window will open back up again, while they're trying to create their first character. Not necessarily enough to turn me off of playing before I start, though -- for now I guess I'll keep f5ing the first page of the thread every once in a while until the traffic light image thing turns green.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

loquacius posted:

for now I guess I'll keep f5ing the first page of the thread every once in a while until the traffic light image thing turns green.

I wouldn't rely on it, it was swapped for me a few times. I was saving the appearance data and refreshing the server list inside the client.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

loquacius posted:

Not a great first impression. If we're talking about bad engineering practices this seems like a pretty major one, honestly. You don't want to start hitting people with limitations like this, with no apparent indication of when the window will open back up again, while they're trying to create their first character. Not necessarily enough to turn me off of playing before I start, though -- for now I guess I'll keep f5ing the first page of the thread every once in a while until the traffic light image thing turns green.

It's certainly a weird practice! Take the time to save your appearance data, though, so you can just load it back up immediately when there's a window.

I can see why they might, for anti-RMT spam reasons, want to keep people from making a bunch of characters on a server during its peak hours, though. But it's still bothersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

loquacius posted:

The alternatives really aren't any better though, like closing off creation entirely or allowing the server to crash. It sucks, I know, but this makes it so that the popular servers don't get people just randomly joining them and making them more full, and ensures generally that only people who really want to be on there are. I can't really think of a better way to do it, at least.

The windows are based on concurrent logins btw, which is why you can sometimes make characters immediately before or after maintenance and at off peak times, and also why there's not a schedule.

• Locked thread