Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If I had a daughter, and if someone asked me for permission to marry her, I would absolutely tell them "no", since they're clearly demonstrating they don't fully respect my daughter as an independent human being. It's the 21st century; women aren't property of their fathers until they become property of their husband.

But that is not an issue for the Idiots on imgur thread. The issue for the Idiots on imgur thread is the fact that some loving nerd felt compelled to milk an important life event for imaginary Internet points.

People don't do it because they think she's her father's property dummy, they do it because it's a tradition at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I find the thought of grown human beings rejecting the idea of someone having a sit-down with the parents of the person they're about to spend the rest of his or her life with to discuss the matter and make sure they're okay with it so absolutely ridiculous as to be very nearly unbelievable

Seriously, can someone really take issue with "Hey Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I've known you and your son/daughter for a long time and I think your family is great. I'd be honored to be a part of it and would like you all to be part of mine"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

"No, everything comes back to how it's sexist and unacceptable in todays world"

Drythe posted:

I wasn't aware this thread is actually tumblr

kazil posted:

What a unique perspective that you have Drythe. This is definitely something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread 100 times already!

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

RatHat posted:

People don't do it because they think she's her father's property dummy, they do it because it's a tradition at this point.

It's a dumb and gross tradition, though. A lot of wedding traditions come from a mindset of "the bride is her father's property and the wedding is a way of transferring her to her new husband". More people should reject that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why do harmless traditions need to be challenged if both parties are OK with it

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

goose fleet posted:

Why do harmless traditions need to be challenged if both parties are OK with it

They don't, but I also don't think that implying women are the properties of their fathers/husbands is harmless. A lot of people have never thought of it that way, and they just go along with the the tradition and like, whatever, I'm not going to protest my friend's wedding because of it, I just want to point out that, hey, it's kind of hosed up that your dad has to "give you away" to your husband!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Be the change you want to see in this world

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

goose fleet posted:

Be the change you want to see in this world

Give your dad away at the wedding

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh wait, it's wrong to say he is your property. gently caress, gotta make a new plan.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

it's kind of hosed up that your dad has to "give you away" to your husband!

Yes this is exactly what happens in modern society, and totally not a father wanting to hold his daughter's hand one more time before a major change in both their lives.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yes this is exactly what happens in modern society, and totally not a father wanting to hold his daughter's hand one more time before a major change in both their lives.

stop making it hard for me to be outraged by silly poo poo i probably wont ever be involved in thanks very much

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This conversation really doesn't belong in this thread and I'm sorry I brought it here.

Imgur is terrible enough for more obvious reasons.

quote:

Call me a racist, sexist, discriminatory pig who really needs to check his American white male privilege all you want. I just don't quite get it.

Like, if you say people are going to call you racist and sexist that doesn't mean they are wrong.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
For some people it's less about tradition and more about her parents being raging narcissists who will kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't ask.

Speaking hypothetically.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

effervescible posted:

For some people it's less about tradition and more about her parents being raging narcissists who will kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't ask.

Speaking hypothetically.

This is the exact reason my husband and I had a wedding ceremony instead of eloping.

kazil posted:

This conversation really doesn't belong in this thread and I'm sorry I brought it here.

Imgur is terrible enough for more obvious reasons.

Like, if you say people are going to call you racist and sexist that doesn't mean they are wrong.

By "equal treatment" he means "exactly the way they always have been", right? He doesn't want women and minorities to be treated like he does because then he doesn't get to feel special just by existing.

e: clarity

PUGGERNAUT has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Oct 8, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lmfao this thread

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Affe mk2 posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/7HHfM

Oh look they've finally found a straw-woman they like.

FTFY

MGTen posted:

Reddit: a place where a handful of radical feminists and angry transgender folks characterize their entire respective movements, but an entire subreddit dedicated to rape/pedophilia/racial slurs has nothing to do with the larger Reddit community.

I had an ex boyfriend who was a self-proclaimed Redditor, long before I knew what Reddit was. Now, I shudder to think what kind of threads he started about me, what kind of comments he made and even *gulp* what pictures he may have shared.

I surf Reddit now, not so that I can be a member of the community, but so I can see what is the current "in" trend with the community so I can identify a Redditor on the streets. It is the biggest turn off.

Oh a side note, he used to introduce me as a "Goon" when he would meet up with his Redditor friends. And yes, one time I was asked if I had stairs in my house.

This is the kind of self-realizations that I would like this "community" to have when this is posted after posting anti-suicide and anti-bullying posts.

MageMage has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Oct 8, 2015

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Reddit, Imgur, and Something Awful "communities" are all the same - a bunch of broken and horrible people spouting opinions online that they are either ashamed to talk about in real life or, if they actually have a shred of self-awareness, know will get them laughed out of the room.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

High Lord Elbow posted:

Reddit, Imgur, and Something Awful "communities" are all the same - a bunch of broken and horrible people spouting opinions online that they are either ashamed to talk about in real life or, if they actually have a shred of self-awareness, know will get them laughed out of the room.

Source your quotes

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

https://imgur.com/gallery/jEHVW

What is it with horrible internet nerds and horrible web comics

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
https://imgur.com/gallery/wvgAtRu

If you start your story with "so..." you may as well say "get ready to hear a lie!"

goose fleet posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/jEHVW

What is it with horrible internet nerds and horrible web comics

loving horrible anime poo poo. They all look the same. No racist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goat posted:

High Lord Elbow posted:

Source your quotes

He's not wrong.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

"What if all online communities are horrible? Then we couldn't make fun of them!" said someone who no one gives a poo poo about.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

At least people on SA are mostly over 25. :bahgawd:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
loving :lol::lol:

unleash your red arrows.

Comments disagree as always:
"Jesus. If ever we needed more evidence of a martyr complex developing around here, look no further than this title."
"If you think imgur was EVER edgy, you need to get out more..."

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots
It's racism day here on ol' imgur!

http://imgur.com/gallery/NhSrVAP
What the gently caress is this guy talking about? I have no idea!

http://imgur.com/gallery/LqeJd6a
An international flair. Fortunately most of the comments are calling this guy out.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Mf7t54O
This thing that doesn't really happen is clearly wrong.

I spend too much time here!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Your Computer posted:

loving :lol::lol:

unleash your red arrows.

Comments disagree as always:
"Jesus. If ever we needed more evidence of a martyr complex developing around here, look no further than this title."
"If you think imgur was EVER edgy, you need to get out more..."

Plus I don't think I've ever seen a post on that website saying you can't cross a certain line. A thousand people complaining about political correctness, but no actual political correctness being upheld.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Plus I don't think I've ever seen a post on that website saying you can't cross a certain line. A thousand people complaining about political correctness, but no actual political correctness being upheld.

But people disagree in the comments! That's disrespecting my First Amendment rights!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

High Lord Elbow posted:

But you guys bought me this cool avatar you're not so bad :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oof, yikes

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dkjeg7r

Comments are generally picking out the flaws but the question remains of how it got up there in the first place then? Hmm.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Oof, yikes

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dkjeg7r

Comments are generally picking out the flaws but the question remains of how it got up there in the first place then? Hmm.

I've read this Milo dude's idiot ramblings before but I'd never actually heard him talk until he was on Joe Rogan's internet show. You can tell within 30 minutes that he doesn't actually care about any of the views he espouses and he's a 100% narcissistic attention whore. The way he contradicts himself and tries desperately to play it cool whenever Rogan points out the dumb poo poo he's saying is extremely telling. Also he spends the first 10 minutes sucking his own dick about how smart and unique he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGL5eRw7rXU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Milo Yiannopoulous is becoming the voice of angry young white men. It's sort of funny when you think about it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Milo Yiannopoulous is becoming the voice of angry young white men. It's sort of funny when you think about it.

It's actually extremely fitting cause he's gaming them so he can gently caress them just like they try to do with women

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Imgur's "I'm not a misogynist" rebuttal is "as long as it's both ways!" for everything.

For an image hosting service, they sure as hell love the artifacted, filtered and poorly spelled poo poo.

Sad manchild post here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eponine posted:

Imgur's "I'm not a misogynist" rebuttal is "as long as it's both ways!" for everything.

What's your favorite dumb imgur platitude? Mine is 'I'm not racist, I hate everyone!' I'm sure you hear them talking about those drat whites [that aren't Jews] all the time.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Oct 12, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

What's your favorite dumb imgur platitude?

"It's just a joke, it doesn't matter if it's racist or sexist or homophobic or transphobic!"

"Ugh, the only acceptable targets of jokes are white straight men ugh!"

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

RareAcumen posted:

What's your favorite dumb imgur platitude? Mine is 'I'm not racist, I hate everyone!' I'm sure you hear them talking about those drat whites [that aren't Jews] all the time.

"If feminists really called about equality they'd call themselves egalitarians :smug:"

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not racist, I just hate the bad ones!

As a [minority being criticized in this post], I [am going to prove to you that I am one of the good ones please don't hurt me]. None of this is actually true. I am in fact a sad, fat white man sitting on a computer that I bought with my meager paycheck in my parent's house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chris Rock.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Just because this particular image macro came from Stormfront doesn't mean that it can't have valid points"

e: no I don't care if the person who posted it also posts about how Breivik was right what about black on black violence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Wow those guys on Imgur really want an excuse to hit a woman.

• Locked thread