Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

What I feel too

"Mosquitos.... suck."

Definitely not nearly as good as the original. Saitama doesn't pun.

It just loses so much compared to him dusting off his hands and saying "Man, I hate mosquitos" completely nonchalantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I bet the Japanese dialogue is the same and its just a translation difference.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

aers posted:

I bet the Japanese dialogue is the same and its just a translation difference.

Could be. I don't know what exactly is lost in translation between the manga and the anime, though some things - like Armored Gorilla's voice changing - actually work a lot better in the anime. Part of it is, and this just might be my impression, in the anime Saitama seems so much more impassive and in the anime he seems to take things a bit more seriously which takes some of the edge off of the humor?

There's probably a better way of phrasing what I'm trying to say, I'm just not sure how best to put it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Now this was the Saitama I expected. The second episode felt much less shounen-y than the first one. The introduction of the other characters really makes a difference, especially Genos with his ultra seriousness compared to Saitama's nonchalance.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love that they're selling the juxtaposition between Saitama's casual attitude to everything and everyone else trying (and failing) to be typical shounen fare.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh hello there.

This is going to haunt my nightmares.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Both the comic and the anime make me laugh my drat rear end off. I'm hoping that it ends up like Azumanga Daioh for me: both formats are completely great even if not exactly the same.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want a webm/gif of the mosiquite girl splat.

it was :perfect:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

This is going to haunt my nightmares.

DrManiac posted:

I didn't notice the shockwave :stare:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna use this as the ban reason for alt accounts from now on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DrManiac posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mosquito Girl's face looked noticeably more mature in the anime compared to the manga. I think it's in the way the eyes are drawn and having them colored in.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The only thing missing from that shot that was in the manga was that the building wasn't covered in blood, it actually broke in half and collapsed from the impact. Maybe Murata will fix it for the blurays... But overall I think the cut still did a pretty good job of selling how absurdly overpowered Saitama is.

Pretty much everything I thought was better or worse in the manga is mostly due to the differences in the medium, so imo the adaptation is great. The cut after Saitama lands from the consecutive normal punch and looks at the other guy was way better than the manga because it nailed the motion and the audio cue. Although the audio editing immediately after that while the mole man was trying to run away seemed off to me.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Indiana_Krom posted:

The only thing missing from that shot that was in the manga was that the building wasn't covered in blood, it actually broke in half and collapsed from the impact. Maybe Murata will fix it for the blurays... But overall I think the cut still did a pretty good job of selling how absurdly overpowered Saitama is.

I think the little touches help. Stuff like the shockwave and small explosion sound when he first smacks the mosquito or when he hits his alarm after the dream in episode one and he's smashed it through the floor.

I like at the part of the OP after the title, where it goes "3..2..1" it cycles through the various threat levels. Tiger, Demon, Dragon and God.

I think one of my favourite bits is when Beast King pulls off his ultra-intense super attack, his art style changes, speed lines everywhere, epic music... and Saitama is just kind of weaving around, drawn like a lovely flat cartoon character as normal.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 12, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
'twas a good episode

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Indiana_Krom posted:

Pretty much everything I thought was better or worse in the manga is mostly due to the differences in the medium, so imo the adaptation is great. The cut after Saitama lands from the consecutive normal punch and looks at the other guy was way better than the manga because it nailed the motion and the audio cue. Although the audio editing immediately after that while the mole man was trying to run away seemed off to me.

I liked both wrecking the building and giant blood stain, but I can get into the blood strain because that's what's always happens when you slap a real mosquito with a full belly of blood. edit:But the blood will be removed with awesome building explosions since you see the red star of her flying away.

We'll see if the quality dips, but I super appreciate the foes being animated and detailed so well when they are probably not going to survive past the next minute.

Noticed they didn't show Cyborg Gorilla sending out the signal though.

\/ \/ \/ For some reason I thought it was done right there.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 12, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

EVIR Gibson posted:

I liked both wrecking the building and giant blood stain, but I can get into the blood strain because that's what's always happens when you slap a real mosquito with a full belly of blood.

We'll see if the quality dips, but I super appreciate the foes being animated and detailed so well when they are probably not going to survive past the next minute.

Noticed they didn't show Cyborg Gorilla sending out the signal though.

That's after we get more info on the House of Evolution, actually. Right after Saitama sets up the sales day.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

EVIR Gibson posted:

When the animators need to cut back, they switch to the ONE version

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just make it an animatic of the manga.

Every so often, a hand will creep in from the side and HEY MURATA YOU CAN'T REDRAW RIGHT NOW, WE'RE FILMING!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i feel the "genos talks about his backstory for too long" joke didnt translate well from manga to anime, but the rest of the episode was really good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think there are gonna be more jokes like that because a lot of the humor in OPM is like that. There's still plenty of jokes that will translate, though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I liked how Genos gradually accelerates how fast he's talking throughout his ridiculously long backstory.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I liked how Genos gradually accelerates how fast he's talking throughout his ridiculously long backstory.

same and also that long pan over the elephant

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I was lollin the whole time genos was talking

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mabels big day posted:

I was lollin the whole time genos was talking

Yeah it was a different take on the joke than in the manga (this time we're the ones who have to hear him :words: ), but the music, dramatic shots of random things and his increasing pace made me laugh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At first I was just like "eh, this isn't as good" but after Saitama's first interruption I started giggling and just kept on laughing as it went on and on and on with the music and his pace ramping up and the bug walking away.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kuvo posted:

i feel the "genos talks about his backstory for too long" joke didnt translate well from manga to anime, but the rest of the episode was really good

The joke in the manga is most people see that wall of text and don't bother reading it all, and Saitama is just giving our reaction to Genos. It's like those giant text pieces at the back of issues of Watchmen, I mean they're probably interesting but that's really not what I want to spend my time reading.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Was the comic mosquito lady such a berserk reference as well? I dug it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bit like the old ironic shitposting argument. The joke is that it's long and boring to hear for Saitama and it's purposely dull to facilitate it, but the problem with that is even though it's doing it on purpose, long, boring and dull aren't good things. It's compounded when it's taking a good 2 minutes of the 23 they have.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I started laughing after he kept going after Saitama thought he was done. The music and the delivery picking up in intensity was great.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the kind of joke that works better in a comic, because it's also sort of a comment on the medium as well. "Stop relying so much on text boxes, show, don't tell" the protagonist screams, taking a giant dump on Tim Buckley and people like him. In anime form, it could be very hard to process the humor and frankly it wouldn't have been a big issue if they skipped it entirely to do their own take on it.

As we got it, I am just thankful it wasn't longer, but whether it went on for too long is really a matter of how many times are you really going to see that scene. You can endure it the once time, but I can imagine dreading that scene for a rewatch of the show. In the manga, you can just skip the panels entirely.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You can just skip ahead in the episode too though?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You can just skip ahead in the episode too though?

How do you know when it ends in an episode of anime that you've never seen before? Who wants to dance around on a timeline to get it right, especially on the first time watching?

You certainly can skip it, but it's not nearly as simple.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Aurain posted:

How do you know when it ends in an episode of anime that you've never seen before? Who wants to dance around on a timeline to get it right, especially on the first time watching?

You certainly can skip it, but it's not nearly as simple.

If you're specifically talking about dreading seeing it during a rewatching then skipping it doesn't seem like a problem.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if you are "dreading" watching a 2 minute scene during a rematch of what will probably be a 12 episode anime (a whopping 1%-ish of its total run time), uhhhhh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Dreading it" is very strong. You can think that the delivery and execution is off while still liking the scene as a whole, even.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dread this conversation continuing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think my favorite touch up from manga-to-anime conversion is this neat bit:

I love how they're animating Genos using his rocket hands to propel himself all over the place. We see him do it for super jumps all the time in the manga, but nothing like this rocket powered roundhouse, and it's really cool.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I dread this conversation continuing.
Say it in 20 words or less! :argh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about the rest of you, but the only reason I'd rewatch a series is to show it off to someone else and having them not sit through the 2 minutes scene would be doing them a disservice.

And yes, "dreading" is a hyperbole. Weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some of the humor of the manga won't translate perfectly into the anime, but it's still looking great.
Leave the complaining to the pedantic nerds.